planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 pm 

With Schumi and de la Rosa now gone, NO driver on the grid in 2013 would have raced in the 90's. That makes Jenson Button the most experienced driver on the grid in Melbourne!

What are everyone's memories of F1 in the 90's? For me it was a lot of things; Monaco '92 being the first race I ever watched, Senna's death, Hill vs. Schumacher, Hill vs. Villeneuve, Schumacher vs. Villeneuve, Schumacher vs. Hakkinen, with some breathtaking drives in between and some epic battles for that decade. You cannot argue that.

What are everyone's memories of F1 in the 90's? Any memorable races? A change of favourite driver? Circuits you miss? Drivers you miss? Season reviews you just cannot stop watching over and over?

I'm 29 and I've been watching F1 for 20 years now. I feel really old all of a sudden!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:01 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5576

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 pm 

At 30 and watching F1 for 25-ish years I too feel old, however my brain and eyes still work enough to search so as already said:
itshoff15 wrote:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5576

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

I wasn't really old enough to watch F1 in the 1990's, or hadn't realised how good it was at least. Wish i had though as it sounds and looks like such a great decade for F1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm 

I miss Mikka vs Micheal.
Truly amazing races and on track battles with an extreme amount of respect for each other.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 pm 

Senna, Prost, Hill, Hakkinen, Williams at their best, seems a while ago now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
At 30 and watching F1 for 25-ish years I too feel old, however my brain and eyes still work enough to search so as already said:
itshoff15 wrote:
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5576

Yes. Probably possible to post link without being an donkey though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 pm 

I started watching F1 in 97 so i missed watching Senna and Prost although i've watched some season reviews to death. What i miss most was Mika and Michael going toe to toe. They where the two best drivers in the late 90's and they had some amazing duels and they had a massive amount of respect. I also think there is less banter between the drivers today but I could be wrong. The main thing I miss about F1 today is the sound of the engines, i miss the V10s. Spa 98 will never be forgotten to many reasons.

Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 am 

Early 90s were better than the late-90s. Hakkinen v Schumacher was okay but Mansell v Senna and Schumacher v Hill was much more entertaining imo.

Reminiscing is fun, but honestly the last three F1 seasons have been the best I've watched (and this season the best of all).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 am 

Jean Alesi and the Rothmans Williams are the two things that I think of first when someone says the 90s!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 am 

1st of may 1994 2 days before my tenth birthday senna was killed at imola I was distroyed, I thought what a present this is not only did I sneak outta bed at 10pm to watch this on a Sunday before I had school, I thought f1 was dead to me aswel. Time heals al wounds and I can say iam privilege to watch him drive, but it made way for schumachers success and the battles we were about to see with hill, we saw alesi break his duck and finally win (IMO deserved many more than 1) the entrance of a media hyped villeneuve saw Berger retire and who I think was a true racing legend in car and out Mika hakkinen ohh do I wish he came back after his sebattical as I agree with schumi as he was michaels true equal at that point of time, and the thing that makes me scratch my head is how people rag on schumi look at 94-2006 every single year bar 05 really he was the man to beat for the title weather he won it or not this is a feat even Alonso nor Hamilton have achieved yet truly amazing even the crap 1996 Ferrari gave him 3 wins and 3rd in standings not a bad dig, to me the 90s was the last era of realer racing before the media tightened it's grip and Bernie made it more basically more mainstream which is good in a way but then u get all these rule changes to consistently make it more attractive to tv instead of building real race cars with mechanical grip instead of electrical performance aids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 am 

Few moments that I reminisce (please don't ask me the years, I reminisce as I type):

Prost vs. Senna battles in the early nineties.

Damon Hill's drive in that underperforming albeit beautiful-to-look-at Arrows (Hungaroring?) where he was leading but alas, in the very last lap his tire blew up and gave the win to Villeneuve.

Mika Hakkinnen's simultaneous double overtaking over Schumacher in Spa (forget which year).

Dutchman Jos Verstappen's Benetton going up in flames whilst re-fueling (God, I thought he was fried).

Mika Hakkinnen crying in the bushes (true sports gentleman, he is).

Schumacher slapping Damon Hill's head after crashing out of (1995 Silverstone/Monza?) - and as I recall Schumacher caused the crash too!

Montoya showing his finger at Schumacher in many an overtaking maneouvres (and vis-versa).

Fisichella getting a podium for Force India (albeit this wasn't nineties, still an old-school F1 driver).

Almost all of Reubens' passionate drives at Interlagos.

Just seeing the beautiful blue-Ligiers whizz past (Oliver Panis and Pedro Diniz).

Martin Brundle's Jordan breaking into two pieces (1996 Melbourne?)

Irishman Eddie Irvine driving for Ferrari.

Irishman Eddie Jordan's sexy Pit-babes (he did know how to party, didn't he?)

And who can forget - Murray Walker's commentary, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 am 

aryaputhra wrote:
Schumacher slapping Damon Hill's head after crashing out of (1995 Silverstone/Monza?) - and as I recall Schumacher caused the crash too!

Twas Monza, and was Hill's fault. Schumacher boxed him in using an Arrows, and Hill just drove straight into the back of him. The one in Silverstone was Hill's fault too, just drove into the side of Schumacher.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 am 

aryaputhra wrote:
Few moments that I reminisce (please don't ask me the years, I reminisce as I type):

Prost vs. Senna battles in the early nineties.

Damon Hill's drive in that underperforming albeit beautiful-to-look-at Arrows (Hungaroring?) where he was leading but alas, in the very last lap his tire blew up and gave the win to Villeneuve.

Mika Hakkinnen's simultaneous double overtaking over Schumacher in Spa (forget which year).

Dutchman Jos Verstappen's Benetton going up in flames whilst re-fueling (God, I thought he was fried).

Mika Hakkinnen crying in the bushes (true sports gentleman, he is).

Montoya showing his finger at Schumacher in many an overtaking maneouvres (and vis-versa).

Fisichella getting a podium for Force India (albeit this wasn't nineties, still an old-school F1 driver).

Almost all of Reubens' passionate drives at Interlagos.

Just seeing the beautiful blue-Ligiers whizz past (Oliver Panis and Pedro Diniz).

Martin Brundle's Jordan breaking into two pieces (1996 Melbourne?)

Irishman Eddie Irvine driving for Ferrari.

Irishman Eddie Jordan's sexy Pit-babes (he did know how to party, didn't he?)

And who can forget - Murray Walker's commentary, of course.

Can't remember all of the moments you mentioned but surely there were really good ones :thumbup:
I remember first race of 1997, JV got pole in his first F1 race ever and almost won.
Was it in 1996 where Hill at one point lapped Schumi's Ferrari?

Of course the tragedies of San Marino 1994 will always be in my head too unfortunately.
It was also an era which saw fully manual gearboxes, active suspension, traction control and the likes emerge with Williams being frontrunner making them very strong from 1991 until 1997.
It was also an era where cars still had real steering wheels and not the spaceships ones they have now. I don't remember when they were changed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am 

Chriso wrote:
1st of may 1994 2 days before my tenth birthday senna was killed at imola I was distroyed, I thought what a present this is not only did I sneak outta bed at 10pm to watch this on a Sunday before I had school, I thought f1 was dead to me aswel. Time heals al wounds and I can say iam privilege to watch him drive, but it made way for schumachers success and the battles we were about to see with hill, we saw alesi break his duck and finally win (IMO deserved many more than 1) the entrance of a media hyped villeneuve saw Berger retire and who I think was a true racing legend in car and out Mika hakkinen ohh do I wish he came back after his sebattical as I agree with schumi as he was michaels true equal at that point of time, and the thing that makes me scratch my head is how people rag on schumi look at 94-2006 every single year bar 05 really he was the man to beat for the title weather he won it or not this is a feat even Alonso nor Hamilton have achieved yet truly amazing even the crap 1996 Ferrari gave him 3 wins and 3rd in standings not a bad dig, to me the 90s was the last era of realer racing before the media tightened it's grip and Bernie made it more basically more mainstream which is good in a way but then u get all these rule changes to consistently make it more attractive to tv instead of building real race cars with mechanical grip instead of electrical performance aids.

"A" for the memories

"F" for hurting my eyes!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:18 am 

Lots of things have been named already.

But for me: seeing a fellow Belgian win an F1 race. Boutsen, Hungary 1990.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 pm 

I'm 29 and remember watching F1 in 93, 94 is when I got really into it, with Schumacher gone, he was the last driver to race against Senna. F1 back then was a bit more 'raw'. Its a much bigger sport now then it was then, maybe not as many personalities and not as many household names as the 90s held. If we had the safety of now, with the drivers and tracks of the early 90s + the accessibility of then...F1 would be a far more powerful sport in the fans eyes

Follow Me - www.facebook.com/shivrajgohilphotos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 pm 

mds wrote:
Lots of things have been named already.

But for me: seeing a fellow Belgian win an F1 race. Boutsen, Hungary 1990.

A perfect race from one of my favorite drivers. Probably the last time somebody won on a no stop strategy?

My best 90s memory is Jean Alesi, Ferrari 412T. Say no more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Started watching in 1996. Big fan of Damon Hill right away. My first GP (I can't remember which one it was) had Hill leading and Schumacher closing. As a kid I just straight away didn't like Schumacher. Maybe it was his name. And Damon Hill was a cool name. Or maybe it was because blue was my favourite colour, so I loved the look of the Williams car.
I really wanted Hill to beat Schumacher.

I only watched it sporadically because I never knew when it was on. But in 1997 I knew enough not to be confused by Hill's drop to mid-grid. I understood that the Arrows wasn't a competitive car. And I developed a soft spot for Pedro Diniz. And Ralf Schumacher's name was hilarious. As well as the Mika Hakkinen mouthful. Hill's agonising loss at Hungary was the first time I felt true disappointment as a fan of any sport. I've gotten used to that feeling over the last decade or so...
Oh, and I really wanted Villeneuve to beat Schumacher.

1998 was all McLaren and Hakkinen. Of course I would have preferred if Hill was winning the races, especially in that unbelievable looking Jordan, but Hakkinen was my main man for the title. And although I bought the Hakkinen t-shirt and McLaren memorabilia, Spa was without doubt the season highlight. Hill leading home a Jordan 1-2. Unbelievable. Suzuka 1998 was the first time I ever got up in the middle of the night for a GP. I was now officially a hardcore F1 fan.
I really wanted Hakkinen to beat Schumacher.

1999 started with mutual Hill and Hakkinen support... but Heinz-Harald Frentzen blew me away. He was absolutely tremendous. I had a new hero. And I felt like a true fan as I was cheering for the underdog. The guy who shouldn't have had a hope. France & Monza victories, podiums galore, pole at the Nurburgring. And it was the first time I felt a strong sense of national pride, supporting the Irish guys at the top tier of world motorsport. That season will live long in my memory.
And I really wanted Frentzen, or Hakkinen, to beat Schuma... Irvine.

The 90s were good to me. That guy in the red car didn't win a title while I was watching. My on-track heroes were triumphant again and again.

And then the 2000s began...

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 pm 

feel quite old now :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 pm 

The things I remember from the 90s most:

Minardi flipping at Monza 1993, because I only caught the last lap, and I wasn't at home, was watching it on cheap black and white set at someone else's house.

Villeneuve spinning into the wall of champions in 1997. Because I was out shopping with my mum, and I tried to get her to rush back for the race, but we missed the start. Came through the door just as he spun off.

Panis' huge shunt in the same race.

Alex Wurz flipping in the 98(?) Canadian race after hitting Alesi and a Ligier.

Schumacher crashing on lap one in Monaco 1996. Also Coulthard wearing Schumacher's spare helmet for that race. And about 4 cars ploughing into the back of Eddie Irvine's Ferrari on like the last lap.

Massive engine blowouts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 pm 

My clearest memory of the 90's was Schumacher winning in Hungary 1998. He was already my favourite but in that race he absolutely amazed me. Monaco 97 springs to mind very quickly too but it wasn't as mindblowing as Hungary 98, perhaps because I was a full year younger at the time. The whole 97/98 span has huge nostalgic memories for me now actually. That was F1 when I was a kid, when everything was carefree I suppose.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:54 pm 

Well I was 8 in 2000, I think I remember Japan 1996 when Damon won though, I have a vague memory of it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:06 pm 

Murray Walker - Legend

Jordan, Eddie Irvine, Schumacher, Brundle

Magny Cours

and many of the things already listed including the massive engine blow outs

Wasn't Olivier Panis one of the early 'paid' drivers, ie he was the only one who paid for his seat