planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 am 

What do you guys think? I think a first win will be hard enough as inexpert button to be quicker, then he has to beat button consistently and score several more wins or very good results. Don't know with Perez might be a dark horse or just a half way man.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:35 am 

If he can get that first win under his belt quickly then why not. Lewis nearly won in his first year and didn't win a race until round 7 so Perez with two years of experience can do it.

That said I don't think he will.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 am 

He will not even beat Button in the final points tally. Perez is good but a triofle over-ambitious. Furthermore, he is facing tough opposition - Button in a similar car, Vettel in the RB9, Alonso in his Ferrari, Raikkonen in the Lotus and Hamilton/Rosberg at Mercedes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:28 am 

"Perez thinks he can win 2013 title"

Are you a mind reader or is there an article?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:28 am 

Not on his current form. But if he recovers the form he had in the early part of the season, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 am 

If he thinks he can't then Mclaren chose the wrong driver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 am 

I don't think perez's results were much better than kobayashi I mean beside the extra podiums, that's just a result of his Mexican sponsor pushing sauber to give Perez no1 status therefore parts superiority over kamui, there pretty even in my book just seems unfair that mclaren picked him over kobayashi as there isn't any obvious standout points between them, though your right he is over ambitious and slightly offensive to jenson, although he probably shaking head thinking your in for a shock kid. But if he does atleast win a gp I'll be very surprised I think he will take maybe a pole but spa might need to bucket down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 am 

Covalent wrote:
"Perez thinks he can win 2013 title"

Are you a mind reader or is there an article?

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/8329136/P ... ampionship

I think he's right in having this particular mindset. He is going to the team that had arguably the fastest car of 2012, and so the car should be very good in 2013 too. As a top class racing driver he believes in himself. So why not?

I'm not saying it's highly likely, but there could be opportunities and if he handles it like a young Hamilton did, he could get close.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 am 

I think any driver, perhaps Massa aside, driving for one of the front running teams NOT thinking they could win the WDC would be a bigger story. Hey, I even think if Sauber can develop the car further to this year the Hulk might even be a contender. Unlikely, but if I was him, that's the mindset I'd be putting myself in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am 

If Macca builds a great car and he is consistent right away than why not. However I feel it's not very likely. I don't expect him to beat Button right away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 am 

So we will see next season if Perez is the better than Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am 

I see nothing wrong in Perez's ambition. He knows he's stepping into a car capable of winning not only races, but also the championship, so why shouldn't he aim for glory? Perez should be aiming to win.

That said, considering his over-driving at the end of the season, and Button's considerable amount of experience and maturity, I doubt Perez will best him next season. And I doubt Button will win the championship either.

Even if by some circumstance, Perez brings that great early/mid-season form from 2012 over to Macca and Button either has a string of mechanical failures or goes off the boil, I can't see Perez holding up all the pressure of a championship battle right to the end of the season. Not yet. I'd love to see him prove me wrong though.

PF1 Pick 10! Podiums: 3 (2nd, India 2011; 1st, Japan 2012; 1st, Monaco 2013)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:41 am 

theferret wrote:
I see nothing wrong in Perez's ambition. He knows he's stepping into a car capable of winning not only races, but also the championship, so why shouldn't he aim for glory? Perez should be aiming to win.

That said, considering his over-driving at the end of the season, and Button's considerable amount of experience and maturity, I doubt Perez will best him next season. And I doubt Button will win the championship either.

Even if by some circumstance, Perez brings that great early/mid-season form from 2012 over to Macca and Button either has a string of mechanical failures or goes off the boil, I can't see Perez holding up all the pressure of a championship battle right to the end of the season. Not yet. I'd love to see him prove me wrong though.

Look at Lewis fought for the WDC in his first year of F1 and got it in his second. Same can be applied to Villeneuve in the nineties. Perez will be in his third F1 season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am 

nomster wrote:
So we will see next season if Perez is the better than Hamilton.

You'd expect him to do better next season wouldn't you, given Perez will be driving a thorughbread and Hamilton will be driving a donkey?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 am 

Amon wrote:
theferret wrote:

Look at Lewis fought for the WDC in his first year of F1 and got it in his second. Same can be applied to Villeneuve in the nineties. Perez will be in his third F1 season.

The problem is that both Hamilton and Villeneuve were unknown quantities in F1 machinery. They really rustled the roost, so to speak. As we've seen for several drivers, former success or failure really counts for nothing once you get to F1. Pressure and expectation is entirely different.

Perez is not an unknown. And incidents like Malaysia, Japan and Abu Dhabi make me think that from what he's shown in F1, under increased pressure of performing, he'd crack. Of course, this is no guarantee, and settling into an environment where most people don't expect him to be on a par with his vastly more experienced team-mate could work in his favour. Macca anticipate at least a win, but certainly aren't expecting a championship at the moment.

Looking back at Hamilton in particular, however, I believe that the reason he did so well in comparison to Alonso was that Nando came to McLaren not with the slightest inkling of being troubled by his rookie team-mate. And probably felt Hammy would be subservient. He had no idea what Hammy could do in F1 as Lewis had no pedigree. Hence it unsettled him, caused him to make more mistakes than I feel he would have done in a usual situation. And then he fell out with the team. If Nando came to Macca a year later, and Hamilton's 2007 performance had been replicated against either Raikkonen/Montoya at McLaren, I think Alonso would have come out on top.

Of course, Alonso was far more immature back then than Button is now, and Button is far more likely to be wary of Perez being capable of challenging him, since he's seen Perez get podiums and nearly win in a Sauber.

PF1 Pick 10! Podiums: 3 (2nd, India 2011; 1st, Japan 2012; 1st, Monaco 2013)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm 

yeah thought it was cool, best joke of the day

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 pm 

Can see it happening if the car is good and he is consistent. I'd be interested to see the effect on Hamilton's mindset if he did... He's likely to be scratching for podiums and the guy who takes his seat bags a title first go... That would be hard to take.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:58 pm 

If he doesn't think he can be champion next year he should not be driving for Mclaren.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 pm 

He's got exactly the right mindset, but I just can't picture him as a Champion, he doesn't seem to have the charisma to me, and I get the feeling he might struggle with pressure. But that's just my gut feeling, and I don't often trust my gut, it costs me too much money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
If he can get that first win under his belt quickly then why not. Lewis nearly won in his first year and didn't win a race until round 7 so Perez with two years of experience can do it.

That said I don't think he will.

Absolutely this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:25 pm 

I think he can as well, but don't think he will ! Not in first year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm 

theferret wrote:
Looking back at Hamilton in particular, however, I believe that the reason he did so well in comparison to Alonso was that Nando came to McLaren not with the slightest inkling of being troubled by his rookie team-mate. And probably felt Hammy would be subservient. He had no idea what Hammy could do in F1 as Lewis had no pedigree. Hence it unsettled him, caused him to make more mistakes than I feel he would have done in a usual situation. And then he fell out with the team. If Nando came to Macca a year later, and Hamilton's 2007 performance had been replicated against either Raikkonen/Montoya at McLaren, I think Alonso would have come out on top.

I am not a fan of either Alonso or Hamilton, but have to agree with this analysis. Alonso can get rattled if things don't go according to his expectations but he hides it well under that expressionless facade of his.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 pm 

He said what he needs to say to keep his sponsors and supporters happy.

Personally, I doubt it, but I'm always happy to be proven wrong. Should be interesting to follow at the very least.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 am 

I think Perez has the correct attitude. What's the point moving to a Winning outfit if you are not going to take advantage ? He does not have to beat Button. He has to beat other drivers. The car in 2012 was one the fastest of the field. So why not thinking you can be the next WDC champion ? Is'nt what every driver wants ? Be champion, even Karthikeyan wants to be champion !!!

IF you have race winning car, you should aim for the top !!
:twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 am 

well he could. theoretically. as could Charles Pic, Theoretically. but good luck to him. Perez over Red Bull

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:26 am 

I read all the time about how Perez needs to handle pressure and al that, what about Button ?, give Perez a break and let's see how this adventure goes because Button is not that better either

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 am 

The only question mark with me is Perez was starting to get a bit cocky so he might get even more cockier with the McLaren which is the fastest or one of the top 2 fastest cars.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 pm 

This is the best mindset Perez can have. Imagine Whitmarsh's reaction or anyones for that matter had he said, "Next year, I will totally enjoy my number 2 driver status at McLaren", or "I got me some learnin' to do at that top team that just signed me, so we'll see what happens in 2013".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm 

I am glad he said it, as button refused to be a number 2 and he is perhaps hoping perez would be number 2 but looks like perez wont do that.

He wont win the WDC tho because mclaren are too incompetant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm 

Well Perez can't expect to go there and have priority, or even equal status, if I was him I'll be more open minded and do best with wat he will have, after all after 3 yrs of teaming up with Hamilton it's the first yr Lewis beat jenson in the standings, jenson was overshadowed by Lewis big time. All in all Sergio might just hit the ground running and build on 2012 form, or he could struggle I expect him to be behind jenson for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
If he thinks he can't then Mclaren chose the wrong driver

This.

He should at least notch a win or two next year.

His signing has a lot of parallels with a youngster McLaren signed from Sauber in '02, and he turned out alright.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm 

A lot of people thought Heikki would be great in a top car and when he got the chance in 2008, he blew it. On the flip side, people (myself included) expected Button to be creamed by Lewis after joining McLaren, but he ended up being far more of a match for Lewis than many thought.

In reality, we can't know what Perez can really do until we see him in a top car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 am 

I doubt he will even win a race! :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:18 am 

I say he´ll have at least 2 wins, shut many mouths and have a decent shot for the WDC, altough I might be mistaken, let´s wait and see

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 am 

He's got the right attitude. He has a taste of two second place finishes and he wants more than ever now. He's hungry with the fresh blood of the front runners. I think he will do fine and I think he can win a couple of races.

I think he will make it challenging for Button at least IMO. Perez is not going to be a pushover.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25 am 

Chriso wrote:
I don't think perez's results were much better than kobayashi I mean beside the extra podiums, that's just a result of his Mexican sponsor pushing sauber to give Perez no1 status therefore parts superiority over kamui, there pretty even in my book just seems unfair that mclaren picked him over kobayashi as there isn't any obvious standout points between them, though your right he is over ambitious and slightly offensive to jenson, although he probably shaking head thinking your in for a shock kid. But if he does atleast win a gp I'll be very surprised I think he will take maybe a pole but spa might need to bucket down.

If Perez was no 1 at Sauber, then he would do more testing than Kobayashi. Meanwhile it was Kobayashi who tested the car for more days than Perez, 7-6 pre-season and 2-1 in-season, in which case you can argue it's actually Kobayashi who was favoured son at Sauber and it makes Perez's achievements even more impressive.

Also I find it a bit funny that random fans on internet know better who should drive for a top team like McLaren than the said team itself. If that's the case also Sauber must be stupid, as they fired Kobayashi to replace him with Hulkenberg, Lotus must be idiots to stick with that crashkid Grosjean and not hiring Kobayashi and Force India are morons, because they prefer Bianchi, Sutil or god knows who over Kobayashi.

Kobayashi, the great talent wasted by ignorant teams. Or racist teams. Or whatever.

BTW. If one win for Perez next season will be very surprising for you, then I say you are in for a huge shock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 am 

Armchair Expert wrote:
Chriso wrote:

If Perez was no 1 at Sauber, then he would do more testing than Kobayashi. Meanwhile it was Kobayashi who tested the car for more days than Perez, 7-6 pre-season and 2-1 in-season, in which case you can argue it's actually Kobayashi who was favoured son at Sauber and it makes Perez's achievements even more impressive.

Also I find it a bit funny that random fans on internet know better who should drive for a top team like McLaren than the said team itself. If that's the case also Sauber must be stupid, as they fired Kobayashi to replace him with Hulkenberg, Lotus must be idiots to stick with that crashkid Grosjean and not hiring Kobayashi and Force India are morons, because they prefer Bianchi, Sutil or god knows who over Kobayashi.

Kobayashi, the great talent wasted by ignorant teams. Or racist teams. Or whatever.

BTW. If one win for Perez next season will be very surprising for you, then I say you are in for a huge shock.

That's very rich coming from a self proclaimed 'Armchair Expert'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

That's the right attitude to have, let's hope for a good 2013 for McLaren and Perez, perhaps the first WCC since, what was it, 98?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:08 pm 

mclaren screwed up, hulkenburg should have got that drive. No way perez does anything other than crash whilst making stupid overtakes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:39 pm 

trindermon wrote:
mclaren screwed up, hulkenburg should have got that drive. No way perez does anything other than crash whilst making stupid overtakes.

Remind me, what did Hulk do in Brazil?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."