planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 2071
Location: Belgium
All of you know how many buttons there are nowadays on an F1 steering wheel. Very complex.
Until the late nineties cars had very simple steering wheels with just 1 button and 1 switch. And before the nineties there was no button at all. Sometimes I love to see old footage or races just to see those simple steering wheels. Like this:

Image

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 am
Posts: 684
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
What the..... What does the button do :P

_________________
KIMI: Yeah,Winning feels good.But I am not the type of guy to jump up and down and rub it in everyone's face.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 am
Posts: 150
Location: Bernies Water Sprinkler Factory.
Usman wrote:
What the..... What does the button do :P


Kills the Engine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 am
Posts: 380
Location: 127.0.0.1
I think 2 buttons in the early nineties right.
Radio and Push to Pass which increased Revs ?
OP I too would like to see simpler sterring wheels it would make me feel like the driver is required to do more. They have fuel mix buttons..button for pit lane speed limiter...bite point launch button which is pretty much launch control...differential setting. So much driver assists like that, It would be nice to have those gone and require driver input based on touch, feel and response from the car. I would also like to see paddles gone but I think thats asking too much now : (


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 am
Posts: 55
I think the wheels got so complex with the ban of the two way telemetry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 873
Location: Qart-Hadast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7J2FxA_E4

Ferrari 640, aka F1/89, introduced semiautomatic gears in the sport, notice the paddles behind the wheels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 230
There's something very satisfying about on board footage from the old days, just a basic steering wheel and a manual gearbox, it's all so raw. I personally think it's a shame that we've gone from the wheels of the mid-2000s which a big screen and loads of handy data on it to the much more basic-looking button covered wheels today, it's like a bit of a step backwards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 935
Agreed, these days it's much easier with most things electronically controlled. Back in the day drivers had to work much harder behind the wheel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 959
I saw Prost's 1990 Ferrari in a showroom in Paris last month and was staring at the steering wheel for ages thinking how basic they were back then - just an engine kill switch and the pit-to-car radio.

Today's wheels are just TOO complicated!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm
Posts: 82
chican wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7J2FxA_E4

Ferrari 640, aka F1/89, introduced semiautomatic gears in the sport, notice the paddles behind the wheels.



I miss the old Hockenheimring


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 2128
Funny thing is you look at a modern steering wheel and think that there's a lot of buttons, but close to all of those buttons and switches have their own sub-menu systems.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco 2012, Silverstone 2014)
Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 1309
Compare to:

Image

_________________
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Maky wrote:
I think 2 buttons in the early nineties right.
Radio and Push to Pass which increased Revs ?
OP I too would like to see simpler sterring wheels it would make me feel like the driver is required to do more. They have fuel mix buttons..button for pit lane speed limiter...bite point launch button which is pretty much launch control...differential setting. So much driver assists like that, It would be nice to have those gone and require driver input based on touch, feel and response from the car. I would also like to see paddles gone but I think thats asking too much now : (

Haven't you contradicted yourself there? In times of yore, the drivers could just sit down, shut up and drive, now they have to deal with so much more; they have to manage fuel mix, they have to maintain their delta time as shown by the display, they have to check to see if DRS is available, they have to use KERS, they have to change brake bias (even between corners!) etc. Back in the day, driving required more "feel" for the car but was a hell of a lot less complicated!

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Posts: 1414
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Maky wrote:
I think 2 buttons in the early nineties right.
Radio and Push to Pass which increased Revs ?
OP I too would like to see simpler sterring wheels it would make me feel like the driver is required to do more. They have fuel mix buttons..button for pit lane speed limiter...bite point launch button which is pretty much launch control...differential setting. So much driver assists like that, It would be nice to have those gone and require driver input based on touch, feel and response from the car. I would also like to see paddles gone but I think thats asking too much now : (

Haven't you contradicted yourself there? In times of yore, the drivers could just sit down, shut up and drive, now they have to deal with so much more, they have to manage fuel mix; they have to maintain their delta time as shown by the display, they have to check to see if DRS is available, they have to use KERS, they have to change break bias (even between corners!) etc. Back in the day, driving required more "feel" for the car but was a hell of a lot less complicated!

It makes me laugh when people say to me drivers have it easy nowadays. .. . They don't have to do anything the car does it all for them :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 4019
Location: Belgium
A2jdl wrote:
It makes me laugh when people say to me drivers have it easy nowadays. .. . They don't have to do anything the car does it all for them :x
That's a strange smiley to use then!

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 1979
they shouldn't have the rev lights that tell the driver when to change gear, thats all i think should be taken off the wheels


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 927
It is just a proof that driving in an older car is easier (if not much) than the current car. Simple.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flyboy10, madprof, Teach206 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group