planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am 

All of you know how many buttons there are nowadays on an F1 steering wheel. Very complex.
Until the late nineties cars had very simple steering wheels with just 1 button and 1 switch. And before the nineties there was no button at all. Sometimes I love to see old footage or races just to see those simple steering wheels. Like this:

Post subject: Re: F1 steering wheels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 am 

What the..... What does the button do :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 am 

Usman wrote:
What the..... What does the button do :P

Kills the Engine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am 

I think 2 buttons in the early nineties right.
Radio and Push to Pass which increased Revs ?
OP I too would like to see simpler sterring wheels it would make me feel like the driver is required to do more. They have fuel mix buttons..button for pit lane speed limiter...bite point launch button which is pretty much launch control...differential setting. So much driver assists like that, It would be nice to have those gone and require driver input based on touch, feel and response from the car. I would also like to see paddles gone but I think thats asking too much now : (

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 am 

I think the wheels got so complex with the ban of the two way telemetry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7J2FxA_E4

Ferrari 640, aka F1/89, introduced semiautomatic gears in the sport, notice the paddles behind the wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:42 am 

There's something very satisfying about on board footage from the old days, just a basic steering wheel and a manual gearbox, it's all so raw. I personally think it's a shame that we've gone from the wheels of the mid-2000s which a big screen and loads of handy data on it to the much more basic-looking button covered wheels today, it's like a bit of a step backwards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 am 

Agreed, these days it's much easier with most things electronically controlled. Back in the day drivers had to work much harder behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 pm 

I saw Prost's 1990 Ferrari in a showroom in Paris last month and was staring at the steering wheel for ages thinking how basic they were back then - just an engine kill switch and the pit-to-car radio.

Today's wheels are just TOO complicated!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 am 

chican wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7J2FxA_E4

Ferrari 640, aka F1/89, introduced semiautomatic gears in the sport, notice the paddles behind the wheels.

I miss the old Hockenheimring

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 am 

Funny thing is you look at a modern steering wheel and think that there's a lot of buttons, but close to all of those buttons and switches have their own sub-menu systems.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:11 pm 

Compare to:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:26 pm 

Maky wrote:
OP I too would like to see simpler sterring wheels it would make me feel like the driver is required to do more. They have fuel mix buttons..button for pit lane speed limiter...bite point launch button which is pretty much launch control...differential setting. So much driver assists like that, It would be nice to have those gone and require driver input based on touch, feel and response from the car. I would also like to see paddles gone but I think thats asking too much now : (

Haven't you contradicted yourself there? In times of yore, the drivers could just sit down, shut up and drive, now they have to deal with so much more; they have to manage fuel mix, they have to maintain their delta time as shown by the display, they have to check to see if DRS is available, they have to use KERS, they have to change brake bias (even between corners!) etc. Back in the day, driving required more "feel" for the car but was a hell of a lot less complicated!

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Maky wrote:

Haven't you contradicted yourself there? In times of yore, the drivers could just sit down, shut up and drive, now they have to deal with so much more, they have to manage fuel mix; they have to maintain their delta time as shown by the display, they have to check to see if DRS is available, they have to use KERS, they have to change break bias (even between corners!) etc. Back in the day, driving required more "feel" for the car but was a hell of a lot less complicated!

It makes me laugh when people say to me drivers have it easy nowadays. .. . They don't have to do anything the car does it all for them :x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:59 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
It makes me laugh when people say to me drivers have it easy nowadays. .. . They don't have to do anything the car does it all for them :x
That's a strange smiley to use then!

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:51 pm 

they shouldn't have the rev lights that tell the driver when to change gear, thats all i think should be taken off the wheels

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:27 pm 

It is just a proof that driving in an older car is easier (if not much) than the current car. Simple.