All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:28 pm 

Neutrality wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
Neutrality wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
Williams have signed a partnership with Formula E: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130610/f1/130619981.

Do you think the Duracell bunny will enter :lol:

No, but the Energizer Bunny might. I think that has a more modern and fresh feel about it and would therefore be more compatible with Formula E. ;)

Yeah but I think that change made them sound more like a sex toy :lol:

Sounds perfect then, I thought sex and the danger of motor racing went well together. That could open the series up to all sorts of alternative funding. An Anne Summers car would surely be worth watching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 pm 

stringy wrote:
I like the idea of a Formula E, but in order to drive innovation I think they really need to open it up. Set the safety standards, and some constraints on the size & weight of the vehicle, but then give then free range to innovate all of the power train systems. It would lead to competition and would drive the rate of progress of the tech. Get investment with some big cash prizes as incentive, it could be a real winner.

It's only the first year or maybe two (can't remember) that will be a spec series it will be opened up more after that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Isn't it all on Street Curcuits? This worries me more than anything.

Yes they are, but I see why that should be worrying. It means that people don't have to travel far to see the races so you're more likely to attract casual viewers. It also demonstrates the lower noise factor which is a selling point for having EV's in cities.

I'd rather have quality racing. How often do we get good racing from street curcuits? don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but it sounds like a good way to shut off half the city for three days, making it impossible to get around. If the Olympics have tought me anything, it's major sporting events + major cities = major problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

It's just the noise for me. It's horrific. I've only seen a demo with a single car too - if there are 20 or so of them pounding past you it's going to be unbearable to listen to. Like watching F1 on the Beeb when Jonathan Legard was commentating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Isn't it all on Street Curcuits? This worries me more than anything.

Yes they are, but I see why that should be worrying. It means that people don't have to travel far to see the races so you're more likely to attract casual viewers. It also demonstrates the lower noise factor which is a selling point for having EV's in cities.

I'd rather have quality racing. How often do we get good racing from street curcuits? don't want to sound like a grumpy old git but it sounds like a good way to shut off half the city for three days, making it impossible to get around. If the Olympics have tought me anything, it's major sporting events + major cities = major problems.

No doubt that it can be a major inconvienence for resisdents of a given city, but there's a reason that mayors and city councils pursue events of this type no matter what the sport. They bring in visitors and revenue from those visitors, and it gets them advertising if the event is televised or at least covered widely which can bring in visitors at other times when there is no event there.

As far as the racing goes, V8 Supercars and IRL do a lot of street races and I think they produce some good racing. I think the reason why it might not be so good for F1 is the higher speeds and dependence on aero that makes street circuits less appealing (not that the same doesn't effect IRL). Formula E are expected to max out at 220 kph so maybe that could keep it more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 pm 

I really like IC engine´s sound, but I do like aerodynamic sounds better, really :nod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qS12idt9s

Like someone said in the video this is the sound of XXI century.

Electric racing cars need a lot of development, but today technology is more than enough to start the develpment. The only real problem today are the batteries, nothing else, and batteries are improving everyday. Do a search for Lithium air batteries or Lihtium Sulfur batteries, they´re the next step after Lipo and LiIon we use today, and they will multiply with a factor of 3x current batteries capacity, so they will even outperform IC engines

And power has never been a problem with electric motors, they can push a train to 574 km/h (358 mph)

About ecology, it´s a common mistake to think electric motors pollute almost the same than IC engines. They´d be close if ALL the electricity would come from the coal, but even so electric cars would pollute less than IC engines

And obviously not all the electricity comes from the coil wich is the most polluting way to generate electricity, so if you take them all (coal, nuclear, hydroelectric, solar, windmills, heat stations...) then electric vehicles maybe pollute a tenth of IC engines.

We could take into consideration the manufacturing of batteries too, but then we´d have to take into consideration the extraction of oil, the processing, the transport, the manufacturing of a whole IC engine with its million pieces.... and IC engines will loose again.

There´s no comparison today and that´s not all. IC engines will pollute the same today than in the next 100 years while electricity will be "greener" each year. New renewable energies are developed continuously so hopefully some year electricity will be 100% green, something oil cannot even dream

Once batteries improve a little more, electric motors will outperform IC engines in any aspect, ecology, perfomance, weight, ease of use, lifespan, maintenance, price....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm 

Smus wrote:
Active aero will be allowed.

Any more info about this?