planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 am
Posts: 2432
Location: Austria
RickM wrote:
egnat69 wrote:
at the moment they are quite frankly messing the whole thing up... i read elsewhere that the teams will use 2 cars per driver due to range-limitations and that drivers will have to switch between the cars upon pit-stop ... for some not further detailed reason, drivers will have to run about 100 meters from car 1 to car 2 ... to prevent drivers and teams from setting up one car to suit race-pace more than the other, qualifying laps have to be done with both cars and the times will be combined...

sounds like a project run by a junior-highschool-class to me ... for god's sake - if you have to use two cars, use two drivers and make it a team-effort but seriously ... hop out of the car, run to the next car, hop in, WTF?!

That sounds a bit fairy cakes. Where abouts did you read that?

I really hope it succeeds, there does need to be a motorsport series focusing on the future like this.

it's from germany's auto, motor & sport: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/motorsport/formula-e-renner-fuer-2013-elektro-formel-1-nimmt-formen-an-7116089.html

however i think most parts of that article are from the official fia site: http://www.fia.com/championship/fia-formula-e-championship/2013/fia-formula-e-championship
Quote:
Early morning: free practice session, followed by qualifying.
Late morning: qualifying 1 lap time each driver with both cars A and B
Afternoon: a 2-hour break to recharge the cars
Evening: Final race with 3 stints and 2 pit stops
Pit stop will involve a change of car: when the battery runs out, the driver will make a pit stop, then will run 100 metres to climb into a recharged car

_________________
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7355
Location: Belgium
Yes!

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4798
The running between cars seems like such an odd thing. I don't think that having the second car a 100 yards away will keep the teams from changing the set-up unless there are no crew members allowed in that area once the cars are put there after qualifying.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm
Posts: 20
REPLICATE wrote:
If they actually stick to the whole "Go nuts build whatever you can within these minimal regulations" thing then Formula E cars will be much faster and agile than F1 Cars in no time.


Also here's the First Video of an Actual Formula E car in action: http://youtu.be/dNpxplfrf1k

For those of you wondering about the noise: http://youtu.be/AqX27cLiczg



I just can't get excited about anything that sounds like a milk float...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90BduGKuTo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
When I first read that part about the 100m sprint from one car to the next one at the pit stop I thought it was a joke.

I'm lost as to the point of it.

It also raises the possibility that a car race could be won by a foot race. Let's say Driver A enters the pits just ahead of Driver B but Driver B outsprints him to the next lot of cars. If overtaking is difficult Driver B could hold off Driver A for the remainder of the race. What will the press conference be about? "That was a spectacular run there Driver B. Have you been training hard for it?" Driver B: "Yes, my training with Usain Bolt has really paid off." Or how about a driver falls over while running and injures themselves? "Driver A retired from the race when he broke his arm in a fall while sprinting to his car."

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Jo_ wrote:
Or how about a driver falls over while running and injures themselves? "Driver A retired from the race when he broke his arm in a fall while sprinting to his car."


This is what I thought about too. Would be stupid.
My best guess it has something to do with the whole green/nature/... image they want to create. Adding in some foot sports as a factor.

I wonder how Jacky Ickx would feel about it, being pretty much responsible for the ban of the "traditional" Le Mans start by walking to his car instead of running because he considered the start to be dangerous, and then going on to win the race.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm
Posts: 760
Location: East Sussex, UK
mds wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
Or how about a driver falls over while running and injures themselves? "Driver A retired from the race when he broke his arm in a fall while sprinting to his car."


This is what I thought about too. Would be stupid.
My best guess it has something to do with the whole green/nature/... image they want to create. Adding in some foot sports as a factor.

I wonder how Jacky Ickx would feel about it, being pretty much responsible for the ban of the "traditional" Le Mans start by walking to his car instead of running because he considered the start to be dangerous, and then going on to win the race.



Well I can imagine it might be a little something for the spectators too, especially new watchers of motorsports as its going to these city tracks. But it seems a little daft and what it its raining?

I like the idea of it being a team with 2 drivers. rather than running between.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
Having just read a bit more it seems that the race will be three stints so drivers will make two pitstops each race. It seems they drive car #1 until the battery runs out then drive car #2 until its battery runs out while car #1 is recharging to be switched back into. So they do this 100m sprint thing twice each race. With 20 teams that would mean seeing this sillyness - and IMO it really is silly - 40 times per race.

It does make it seem a bit amateurish. I appreciate that they have to start somewhere, that the cars are not yet capable of being built in such a way that would allow them to last the whole race (I'm assuming the reason for that has something to do with the weight of the battery). But I fail to see any reason that they have to add in a sprint as part of the changeover.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1213
The 100m sprint makes as much sense to me as giving the drivers space hoppers or pogosticks to get to the next car.

Still I'm looking forward to it I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:09 pm 
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.

Getting back from this obvious distraction, I do embrace the concept of electric racing. Hey, don't get me wrong, there's nothing like a ferocious engine barking out sound that ruptures the eardrums and causes hemmoraging. But this isn't Formula One, it will be one of many countless other racing series around the world. And just like Formula Ford, Legends, or even go-karts, it will develop it's own following.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.


A motor race IS a human athletic competition. Otherwise F1 drivers wouldn't be among the fittest sportsmen in the world.

I find no wrong in having drivers run between cars, just as i see that it's OK that teams should have a dozen people do frantic tasks every pitstop.

Let's talk about Lewis Hamilton now.

_________________
"I'm going to go in the car but I'm telling you, from today, I'm going to do what I want to do when it's wet."-- Prost, 1982, immediately after Didier's accident.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
flavio81 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.


A motor race IS a human athletic competition. Otherwise F1 drivers wouldn't be among the fittest sportsmen in the world.

I find no wrong in having drivers run between cars, just as i see that it's OK that teams should have a dozen people do frantic tasks every pitstop.

Let's talk about Lewis Hamilton now.

OK. I think Hamilton will probably make the switch to Formula E for next year because it will be good for his brand and celebrity status to be seen at the forefront of an environmentally-oriented motorsport. These celebrities love their causes! And I think we'll see this running between cars nonsense changed as a result - because it would be impossible for him to look cool while doing it.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
Jo_ wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.


A motor race IS a human athletic competition. Otherwise F1 drivers wouldn't be among the fittest sportsmen in the world.

I find no wrong in having drivers run between cars, just as i see that it's OK that teams should have a dozen people do frantic tasks every pitstop.

Let's talk about Lewis Hamilton now.

OK. I think Hamilton will probably make the switch to Formula E for next year because it will be good for his brand and celebrity status to be seen at the forefront of an environmentally-oriented motorsport. These celebrities love their causes! And I think we'll see this running between cars nonsense changed as a result - because it would be impossible for him to look cool while doing it.


LOL!! :lol: :thumbup:
I guess you did see my signature then.

Let's keep talking about Hamilton and his forthcoming support of environmentally-friendly racing. Let's use ronspeak if possible.

_________________
"I'm going to go in the car but I'm telling you, from today, I'm going to do what I want to do when it's wet."-- Prost, 1982, immediately after Didier's accident.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
Biffa wrote:
The 100m sprint makes as much sense to me as giving the drivers space hoppers or pogosticks to get to the next car.


I somewhat agree... I mean, i still see no wrong in having them run since 100m is not a lot, but why couldn't they simply park the car in the pit box and jump into the next car? Of course this means that pit boxes should be twice as large... OR that there should be only 1 driver per team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
flavio81 wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.


A motor race IS a human athletic competition. Otherwise F1 drivers wouldn't be among the fittest sportsmen in the world.

I find no wrong in having drivers run between cars, just as i see that it's OK that teams should have a dozen people do frantic tasks every pitstop.

Let's talk about Lewis Hamilton now.

OK. I think Hamilton will probably make the switch to Formula E for next year because it will be good for his brand and celebrity status to be seen at the forefront of an environmentally-oriented motorsport. These celebrities love their causes! And I think we'll see this running between cars nonsense changed as a result - because it would be impossible for him to look cool while doing it.


LOL!! :lol: :thumbup:
I guess you did see my signature then.

Let's keep talking about Hamilton and his forthcoming support of environmentally-friendly racing. Let's use ronspeak if possible.

Actually, I hadn't seen the signature - just when I saw your comment an idea popped into my head. Ronspeak, though - you're not hard to please are you? ;)

"McLaren Technologies is pleased to announce its forthcoming foray into the FIA-sanctioned Formula E racing discipline. We feel that this provides us with one of a number of opportunities to explore new territories in the automotive field that will expand our knowledge and insight into technologies that may be of use in our road car program, complementing the work we are already undertaking in a number of areas. We are also pleased to announce the homecoming of Lewis Hamilton, who we nurtured from childhood to become successful as a World Champion for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in Formula 1. He will be the driver for Team McLaren Technologies bringing with him a vast amount of knowledge and experience that he has gathered over his years driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes with the support of the team at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes."

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
Jo_ wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Having drivers run between cars is pure cow manure. Excuuuuse me, but I came to watch a motor race, not a human athletic competition.


A motor race IS a human athletic competition. Otherwise F1 drivers wouldn't be among the fittest sportsmen in the world.

I find no wrong in having drivers run between cars, just as i see that it's OK that teams should have a dozen people do frantic tasks every pitstop.

Let's talk about Lewis Hamilton now.

OK. I think Hamilton will probably make the switch to Formula E for next year because it will be good for his brand and celebrity status to be seen at the forefront of an environmentally-oriented motorsport. These celebrities love their causes! And I think we'll see this running between cars nonsense changed as a result - because it would be impossible for him to look cool while doing it.


LOL!! :lol: :thumbup:
I guess you did see my signature then.

Let's keep talking about Hamilton and his forthcoming support of environmentally-friendly racing. Let's use ronspeak if possible.

Actually, I hadn't seen the signature - just when I saw your comment an idea popped into my head. Ronspeak, though - you're not hard to please are you? ;)

"McLaren Technologies is pleased to announce its forthcoming foray into the FIA-sanctioned Formula E racing discipline. We feel that this provides us with one of a number of opportunities to explore new territories in the automotive field that will expand our knowledge and insight into technologies that may be of use in our road car program, complementing the work we are already undertaking in a number of areas. We are also pleased to announce the homecoming of Lewis Hamilton, who we nurtured from childhood to become successful as a World Champion for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in Formula 1. He will be the driver for Team McLaren Technologies bringing with him a vast amount of knowledge and experience that he has gathered over his years driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes with the support of the team at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes."


:thumbup: LOL... But you have not written "Vodafone McLaren Team Mercedes" enough times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 am
Posts: 210
Jo_ wrote:
When I first read that part about the 100m sprint from one car to the next one at the pit stop I thought it was a joke.

I'm lost as to the point of it.

It also raises the possibility that a car race could be won by a foot race. Let's say Driver A enters the pits just ahead of Driver B but Driver B outsprints him to the next lot of cars. If overtaking is difficult Driver B could hold off Driver A for the remainder of the race. What will the press conference be about? "That was a spectacular run there Driver B. Have you been training hard for it?" Driver B: "Yes, my training with Usain Bolt has really paid off." Or how about a driver falls over while running and injures themselves? "Driver A retired from the race when he broke his arm in a fall while sprinting to his car."


I feel it will flop. I knew about the two car usage but didn't know about the run between them. I wonder if they'll play any music during that run, maybe Chariots of fire or the Benny Hill theme... What a farce.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am
Posts: 926
Location: Brazil
Technology still isn't there, but when the time comes, an electric car will be much superior to a petrol car in all respects but noise.

There is a lot of interest from developed countries in developing the electric car because, as everyone knows, oil production is controlled by a cartel of countries including Arab countries and Venezuela, which control the supply and the prices. Imagine if oil became redundant overnight... Authoritarian monarchies in the Middle East who live on oil money would become weakened and overruled by the common people. It would be a HUGE change in the world.

Formula E is the start of the motorsport my grandchildren will be watching in 2060... And I'll be able to tell them first hand how everything started. :D

_________________
Image

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm
Posts: 1821
How far can the cars go on a charge? Would it not be more sensible to just have shorter races and more of them? Get in the car, do 20 laps, declare a winner, have a podium ceremony, immediately jump into car 2 and have a second race, maybe using the finishing order from the first race or even a reverse grid or something like that? So it's still all one event, rather than other series like GP2 that have the races as separate events.

Running between cars is silly at best.

_________________
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am
Posts: 160
Location: Northern Ireland
Smus wrote:
No.




The moment Bernie and all of them realize that auto sports are not green down to the core the better the better off they'll be.

Here's my list as to why it will fail horribly,

1. The experience of watching or attending a race is not just seeing the race unfold, its the sensory bits as well.
2. The drivers won't be very good.
3. Attendance will be minimal
4. Its not like sandal and turtleneck wearing, granola eating, pot smoking environmentalists will decide to put down the picket signs and end a hunger strike to watch a Formula E race. Its not the target market for racing.


Did you copy and paste this post from that thread on this topic months ago? Didnt we burn you down back then?

_________________
Forza Ferrari


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
flavio81 wrote:
Biffa wrote:
The 100m sprint makes as much sense to me as giving the drivers space hoppers or pogosticks to get to the next car.


I somewhat agree... I mean, i still see no wrong in having them run since 100m is not a lot, but why couldn't they simply park the car in the pit box and jump into the next car? Of course this means that pit boxes should be twice as large... OR that there should be only 1 driver per team.

Yeah, I could accept the 100m sprint more if I thought there was a reason for it. But I can't see one.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 857
flavio81 wrote:
Jo_ wrote:
flavio81 wrote:
Let's use ronspeak if possible.

Actually, I hadn't seen the signature - just when I saw your comment an idea popped into my head. Ronspeak, though - you're not hard to please are you? ;)

"McLaren Technologies is pleased to announce its forthcoming foray into the FIA-sanctioned Formula E racing discipline. We feel that this provides us with one of a number of opportunities to explore new territories in the automotive field that will expand our knowledge and insight into technologies that may be of use in our road car program, complementing the work we are already undertaking in a number of areas. We are also pleased to announce the homecoming of Lewis Hamilton, who we nurtured from childhood to become successful as a World Champion for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes in Formula 1. He will be the driver for Team McLaren Technologies bringing with him a vast amount of knowledge and experience that he has gathered over his years driving for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes with the support of the team at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes."


:thumbup: LOL... But you have not written "Vodafone McLaren Team Mercedes" enough times.


So you want ronspeak?
"While exiting the service lane, wheel number 02 of our driver Lewis Hamilton's MP4-E-01 partially separated from its mounting and became lodged in an oblique orientation, causing the car to be retired from the event. An internal review has revealed that our supplier, without consulting the Constructor, applied a protective lacquer to the wheel; as a result, the clamping force was not to specification. Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has written to its supplier to ensure this malfunction of the MP4-E-01 remains a one-off. Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes had no responsibility to inspect the wheels that it received from its supplier. Additionally, the impact of the transmission of data from Ferrari was greater than was previously communicated. We have therefore, in agreement with the FIA, the race promoter, and our title sponsor Vodafone, frozen development on the following disputed systems identified in the governing entity's review: the energy storage system, the drive train, the energy recovery system, and the steering wheel with the horse; although we categorically deny having copied the latter design from our competitor using illegal means, it was measured exactly from an appropriate distance using precision camera technology and analysis techniques."

As for Formula E, how much does it promote electric vehicles when they have to change cars? I'm sure we'll all be able to afford keeping a spare car so we can come home from work, change cars as well as clothes, and still be able to out on Friday night without having to call a cab.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
flyer wrote:
So you want ronspeak?
"While exiting the service lane, wheel number 02 of our driver Lewis Hamilton's MP4-E-01 partially separated from its mounting and became lodged in an oblique orientation, causing the car to be retired from the event. An internal review has revealed that our supplier, without consulting the Constructor, applied a protective lacquer to the wheel; as a result, the clamping force was not to specification. Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes has written to its supplier to ensure this malfunction of the MP4-E-01 remains a one-off. Team Vodafone McLaren Mercedes had no responsibility to inspect the wheels that it received from its supplier. Additionally, the impact of the transmission of data from Ferrari was greater than was previously communicated. We have therefore, in agreement with the FIA, the race promoter, and our title sponsor Vodafone, frozen development on the following disputed systems identified in the governing entity's review: the energy storage system, the drive train, the energy recovery system, and the steering wheel with the horse; although we categorically deny having copied the latter design from our competitor using illegal means, it was measured exactly from an appropriate distance using precision camera technology and analysis techniques."

As for Formula E, how much does it promote electric vehicles when they have to change cars? I'm sure we'll all be able to afford keeping a spare car so we can come home from work, change cars as well as clothes, and still be able to out on Friday night without having to call a cab.

Nice ronspeak.

On your other comment, I think the problem is that the weight of the batteries to run a full race would be too much when balanced with having a car of a decent size and weight that can have decent performance. I think this is very different to how an electric car is used in day to day circumstances where people are driving at limited speeds, stopping and starting more and have breaks in the use.

I agree that it doesn't look great for environmentally sustainable technologies, but I'm assuming that this is the start of something that will evolve with the intention being to use the sport to showcase developments and also as a research tool to promote developments that improve battery life.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 am
Posts: 636
Rather than changing the whole car they could just change the battery in a pitstop surely - it would be better for the image because it would be perceived as no different to refuelling, and allow the race to flow better.

Could be an interesting pitstop dynamic to watch, as the teams figure out the most efficient placement and methods.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
steoc4 wrote:
Rather than changing the whole car they could just change the battery in a pitstop surely - it would be better for the image because it would be perceived as no different to refuelling, and allow the race to flow better.

Could be an interesting pitstop dynamic to watch, as the teams figure out the most efficient placement and methods.

I wondered that about that. It would seem the obvious option so I keep thinking there must be some reason why they don't do it.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
Jo_ wrote:
steoc4 wrote:
Rather than changing the whole car they could just change the battery in a pitstop surely - it would be better for the image because it would be perceived as no different to refuelling, and allow the race to flow better.

Could be an interesting pitstop dynamic to watch, as the teams figure out the most efficient placement and methods.

I wondered that about that. It would seem the obvious option so I keep thinking there must be some reason why they don't do it.

maybe it's a packaging issue? I haven't seen the cars or specs myself but if the batteries are distributed across the car (for balance etc) then replacing them might not be quite that straightforward


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 am
Posts: 48
I've never been a fan of the electric car concept - the ones that use batteries to store energy. Majority of the time where how is the electricity produced? Through the burning of coal. So it isn't exactly "green", unless of course they go out of their way to charge the cars via a clean, renewable source of energy. I'd be a bit more interested in this if they used hydrogen fuel cells - I'm sure if manufactures poured some serious money into it they'd have come up with an ingenious method of storing the hydrogen in the car.

First post, please be kind


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 51
it's really funny to me that the "Formula E " cars are being touted as "Environmentally Friendly " as opposed to traditional combustion engine race cars . Think about it , where is the power to charge the
batteries in these cars coming from? Depending on the track location batteries will be charged mostly by nuclear power plants , fossil fuel powered powered plants , coal powered power plants along with
some hydro,wind , solar power . The whole green electric vehicle arguement is a scam.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm
Posts: 178
kls2020 wrote:
it's really funny to me that the "Formula E " cars are being touted as "Environmentally Friendly " as opposed to traditional combustion engine race cars . Think about it , where is the power to charge the
batteries in these cars coming from? Depending on the track location batteries will be charged mostly by nuclear power plants , fossil fuel powered powered plants , coal powered power plants along with
some hydro,wind , solar power . The whole green electric vehicle arguement is a scam.



It's greener for the cities and places where they race. A lack of exhaust fumes will increase the air quality, which is why I think the races will be in cities rather than actual tracks. That's the main benefit of electric cars, not that they reduce emissions over petrol (although they do slightly), it's that air pollution is decreased in urban areas.

As for my opinion on the series, I won't be watching it if the noise stays as it is. The really high pitched whining hurt my ears, I'd prefer complete silence rather than that noise. But if the noise changes I'd give it a try.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:23 pm
Posts: 51
" it's that air pollution is decreased in urban areas" (to the detriment of outlying areas)
OK I think I understand now, urban areas have their own special environment isolated from the rest of the earth's atmosphere . This is incredible green technology these Formula E cars


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 857
How's it a green sport when they have to manufacture, transport, store, prepare, & maintain twice as many cars and spare parts? All manufacturing consumes energy and creates pollution.

They probably can't change batteries because they're so huge, same thing in a road E-car. So what I was getting at before is this Formula E will constantly remind everyone of the main reason NOT to get an electric car -- you can't simply stop and fill 'er up, you have to be without car while it recharges.

It will never replace fuel-powered cars. How can you drive a long trip in an E-car?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14179
kls2020 wrote:
" it's that air pollution is decreased in urban areas" (to the detriment of outlying areas)
OK I think I understand now, urban areas have their own special environment isolated from the rest of the earth's atmosphere . This is incredible green technology these Formula E cars


I don' think its unreasonable to attempt to reduce smog and improve the air quality in the environment that most people live in.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 am
Posts: 704
Location: Australia
Formula E is an interesting concept but no I thing it might be another A1GP and last only a couple of years. While I understand the change of car, the idea of running is not only dangerous with belts and also slipping over but the major problem will be in the wet, drivers race boots will become wet which is dangerous but I'm not sure if they will race if its wet. It's not what MOTOR racing is for me. To me at the moment it's a bitter of a comical idea and I at this stage won't be following it. I wouldn't mind been surprised though.

_________________
#Keep Fighting Michael


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
flyer wrote:
How's it a green sport when they have to manufacture, transport, store, prepare, & maintain twice as many cars and spare parts? All manufacturing consumes energy and creates pollution.

They probably can't change batteries because they're so huge, same thing in a road E-car. So what I was getting at before is this Formula E will constantly remind everyone of the main reason NOT to get an electric car -- you can't simply stop and fill 'er up, you have to be without car while it recharges.

It will never replace fuel-powered cars. How can you drive a long trip in an E-car?

I think they have to start somewhere and over time they'll make progress. E cars might not yet be able to do all the things that fuel-powered cars can but with development they probably will. It's a matter of investing the resources. I think having a sport that focuses on the use of E cars helps gain attention to the situation, encourage people and organisations to take an interest and that in turn increases the resources involved.

Think about when computers first came about to what we have today.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 857
Sounds like a toy: in Moscow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1572
I thought the technology is there but their are restrictions in place that prevent the designers utilizing it all, very much the same as regular f1. You wouldnt want to chuck 100's of milions at something at this stage so it will most likely go very slowly development wise id say 20 years or so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
RudderlessRussian wrote:
I've never been a fan of the electric car concept - the ones that use batteries to store energy. Majority of the time where how is the electricity produced? Through the burning of coal.


That's true in YOUR country. Here it's produced mainly by hydroelectricity, we don't burn anything.

So the answer in your country is to push your government towards cleaner electricity sources, not to put down electric cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 am
Posts: 1215
kls2020 wrote:
Think about it , where is the power to charge the
batteries in these cars coming from? Depending on the track location batteries will be charged mostly by nuclear power plants , fossil fuel powered powered plants , coal powered power plants along with
some hydro,wind , solar power . The whole green electric vehicle arguement is a scam.


This is an often repeated argument that isn't solid at all.

A gasoline powered car can only work with only one fuel: gasoline. (Or ethanol.)

An electric powered car can have it's initial electric source from many different kinds of plants -- this depends on the electric companies.

Let's assume that in this case an electric car gets its power source from a diesel-burning electric plant.

Such a fuel-burning electric plant is much more efficient than your regular diesel engine.
It is less polluting as well (and in consequence)
And it is highly regulated by the government.
And it's easier to have a watch on a dozen fuel-burning electric plants than on millions of fuel-burning engines that go moving about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8057
Just mulling this over in my head, and have to admit have not done my research on it. What I considered, is the amount of cost and testing that will have to go into, and come out of, due to age or replacement, F1 cars is going to be huge.

Will the regs allow the series to be used for, or to make use of old kit from F1 ERS?.

Factories could use it to race test kit about to go into the F1 car, others maybe get stuff that has been used to life test it or try modifications on it. Little extra expense and lots of test miles while providing a new series.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Formula E. Does the E stand for......'Effing Hell, they sound crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thegamer23 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group