planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 745
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20717038


Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone believes the sport still has too many teams despite the departure of HRT.

F1 will have 11 teams next season after the Spanish outfit's failure to enter the championship following an announcement they were up for sale.

But Ecclestone told Reuters he would be happy to see another team drop out.

"It's just that 10 is easier to handle, for the promoters, for transport," he said. "We'd rather have 10, so long as we don't lose Ferrari."

2013 team line-up
Red Bull

Ferrari

McLaren

Lotus

Mercedes

Sauber

Force India

Williams

Toro Rosso

Caterham

Marussia



umm...didnt he want more teams hence the reason we ended up with Caterham(Lotus), Marussia(Virgin) and HRT and the failed USF1?

Mod edit: article removed as per forum rules. Also, when quoting sources it would be good if you at least made it clear which words aren't your own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1719
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales
Yet in the past Bernie has said he doesn't like only having 10 teams as it means everyone gets prize money, so the 10th team is more likely to simply tread water rather than aim to improve.

_________________
Copper Masked Sunrise
http://www.justgiving.com/CIN-Mystery-P ... 00b9467dcb
https://www.facebook.com/BadExcusesBand


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 am
Posts: 132
Bernie also said he would do everything possible to assist Porsche enter F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 1309
He'll change his mind again soon enough. But if I was Marussia, I'd be a little bit nervous.

Also, he doesn't want to lose Ferrari. I know tgey're a big draw, but why not mention McLaren, Williams or even Red Bull?

_________________
"We can not drive slower, just to make the races more exciting." Alain Prost


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Posts: 745
scuderia_stevie wrote:
He'll change his mind again soon enough. But if I was Marussia, I'd be a little bit nervous.

Also, he doesn't want to lose Ferrari. I know tgey're a big draw, but why not mention McLaren, Williams or even Red Bull?


yes. 2013 is a very big year for Marussia. they really need to get the stage of getting a point or 2 this season. But i really cant see either them or Caterham getting points for a 4th year running, which really isnt good enough to be honest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 am
Posts: 132
scuderia_stevie wrote:
He'll change his mind again soon enough. But if I was Marussia, I'd be a little bit nervous.

Also, he doesn't want to lose Ferrari. I know tgey're a big draw, but why not mention McLaren, Williams or even Red Bull?


There's no equal or fair in F1 or the world, Bernie likes it this way so he can create animosity to use for divide and conquer which
he is a master of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm
Posts: 172
Location: DFW, Texas
I know that Marussia hasn't received a new Concorde agreement, so I would definitely be worried if I were them.

I disagree with the idea.

But in trying to see what purpose shrinking the field further (also I guess by his argument, Ferrari can forever kill the idea of running a 3rd car at least during Bernie's lifetime), I could see a twisted logic that would benefit him.

If Bernie is able to squeeze the field to fewer teams, it will create competition from teams to get one of those spots, which means it can become a bidding war among several teams for fewer slots and cause them to pay more for the honor, and therefore a bigger profit for Bernie. (I've felt this may also be the logic by cutting into the number of European races in favor of races in 'new markets' as the European promoters find fewer dates on the calender for them, they will ante up to be sure they are one of those dwindling spots, and pay more... granted attendance in those races will probably drop as promoters raise ticket prices to offset the higher costs of securing a date... but its pretty obvious it's all about the figures on the check, not in the attendance column so racing to empty seats is no issue for Bernie whether it be Korea or Istanbul or European circuits should promoters be forced to price out its customers because of trying to cover higher fees.)

I've always felt like Bernie has been both good and bad for the sport, but because its popularity, the good must outweigh the bad... but I'm getting the feeling in recent years its starting to tilt the other way more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1376
Location: Wrexham, UK
Funnily enough, I think there's still too many Bernie Ecclestones in F1 sometimes.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Just had a thought.

when the teams score points that means Bernie picks up the tab for travelling doesn't it?


Caterham Were 11th weren't they? Marussia upping the pace and getting KERS next year.

Bernie maybe worried he's going to have to start paying for an extra few teams to go about the world.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 905
Sutton wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
He'll change his mind again soon enough. But if I was Marussia, I'd be a little bit nervous.

Also, he doesn't want to lose Ferrari. I know tgey're a big draw, but why not mention McLaren, Williams or even Red Bull?


yes. 2013 is a very big year for Marussia. they really need to get the stage of getting a point or 2 this season. But i really cant see either them or Caterham getting points for a 4th year running, which really isnt good enough to be honest.


Yup, they need to be step it up, otherwise it's just a complete waste being on the grid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: UK
jammin78 wrote:
Funnily enough, I think there's still too many Bernie Ecclestones in F1 sometimes.

:lol: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Posts: 1376
Johnston wrote:
Just had a thought.

when the teams score points that means Bernie picks up the tab for travelling doesn't it?


Caterham Were 11th weren't they? Marussia upping the pace and getting KERS next year.

Bernie maybe worried he's going to have to start paying for an extra few teams to go about the world.

Been told they all pay bernie to transport them on fly away races


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 pm
Posts: 409
Well, Bernie contradicting himself again, what a surprise! Bloody numpty.

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Also, he doesn't want to lose Ferrari. I know they're a big draw, but why not mention McLaren, Williams or even Red Bull?


Because Ferrari are huge in the "emerging markets". They are an "aspirational" brand that those with money in such countries are obsessed with. McLaren, Williams and even Red Bull barely register on this sort of scale. If Ferrari weren't part of the party these billionaire plutocrats would be less likely to stump up the cash to host F1. That's the thinking, and that's all Bernie cares about.

_________________
"you can never be too paranoid"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1948
Location: Belgium
He does have a point however that they don't really add anything to the sport if they keep being backmarkers. I don't think he was really a fan of the new teams to enter and he was also one of the first to doubt USF1 would make the grid and his fears became true. Minardi was also backmarker for many years but there were moments they were regular points scorers and not always due to reliability issues from others. Minardi took a while to get competitive but others were competitive right away when they entered like Sauber and Jordan.

I can't really say that I would miss Marussia or Caterham can't warm to them.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Posts: 675
Location: 93013
I'll be more than happy to toss Caterham and Marussia into the rubbish bin, to welcome Porsche into the F1 family.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Posts: 201
Location: USA
Agree with F1 being better without Caterham/Marussia, but with Porsche. Even another Asian (non-Japanese) auto firm, or two.

What are chances of it?

Maybe 2014, or 2015-as they'll wait and see how viable the 2014 regs are.

Many different teams could be on the 2015 grid....but I am getting ahead of myself, as we are not clear of the Mayans yet, are we?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bourbon19, Peter77, tootsie323 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group