planetf1.com
http://forum.planet-f1.com/

Hamilton playing guitar.
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5710
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Balibari wrote:
One unnecessary clarification of an irrelevant point relating to an unimportant post... demands another unnecessary clarification of an irrelevant point relating to an unimportant post.

...criticising his ability at doing guitaring...


In other words no you can't.

Author:  Toby. [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

I thought he was pretty good. He's no Hendrix, but he doesn't play music for a living. If somebody started playing that in the car one day, I'd not have any problems with it.

Author:  jammin78 [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Toby. wrote:
I thought he was pretty good. He's no Hendrix, but he doesn't play music for a living. If somebody started playing that in the car one day, I'd not have any problems with it.

Johnston would :P

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

jammin78 wrote:
Toby. wrote:
I thought he was pretty good. He's no Hendrix, but he doesn't play music for a living. If somebody started playing that in the car one day, I'd not have any problems with it.

Johnston would :P



I'd have more problems if I had to play along.


It's always the bassist that gets the blame of timing screw ups :lol: :lol:

Author:  jammin78 [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Toby. wrote:
I thought he was pretty good. He's no Hendrix, but he doesn't play music for a living. If somebody started playing that in the car one day, I'd not have any problems with it.

Johnston would :P



I'd have more problems if I had to play along.


It's always the bassist that gets the blame of timing screw ups :lol: :lol:

Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!

Author:  Balibari [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Johnston wrote:
Balibari wrote:
One unnecessary clarification of an irrelevant point relating to an unimportant post... demands another unnecessary clarification of an irrelevant point relating to an unimportant post.

...criticising his ability at doing guitaring...


In other words no you can't.

Do you really want to pursue an argument based on a semantic shortcut in a throwaway comment on a petty thread?

OK. When I referred to people 'criticising Hamilton' I meant 'criticising his guitaring'. Given the context (what with this being a thread about his guitaring), and the comments I was responding to (being critical about his guitaring, not him), not to mention the fact it simply doesn't matter, I kind of figured it unnecessary to spell it out.

If you want to know what I meant, there you go. If you don't care what I meant but want to score a quick point off me, knock yourself out: no, I can't cite an example of someone criticising Hamilton.

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:

Author:  Herbalist [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:


Mabey because it's always IS the bassists fault???? Always the fuckups on bass, really nub players

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Herbalist wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:


Mabey because it's always IS the bassists fault???? Always the fuckups on bass, really nub players


Point proven ;) :P

Author:  minchy [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Herbalist wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:


Mabey because it's always IS the bassists fault???? Always the fuckups on bass, really nub players

only bass guitar players, brass bass players keep the whole band together :D

anyway, you guys should try playing in a marching band, where if you blame the drummers they'll throw their cymbals at you! (including the 11 year old attached to them!!!)

Author:  SilverstoneRegular [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

minchy wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:


Mabey because it's always IS the bassists fault???? Always the fuckups on bass, really nub players

only bass guitar players, brass bass players keep the whole band together :D

anyway, you guys should try playing in a marching band, where if you blame the drummers they'll throw their cymbals at you! (including the 11 year old attached to them!!!)


Over here they just fire a petrol bomb at you :lol: :lol:

Author:  Herbalist [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player


Hmm, lol the words of musician i see, that's not what past two decades taught me... tbh what u said is rubbish.

Any guitarist calling himself good has to be able to do both. You'll never be good lead guitarist unless you know exactly what the rhythm guitarist is doing and how to do it. Using dorian, lydian, mixolydian etc. scales(a must for any guitarist) requires extensible knowledge about chords associated with the scales. I'd actually say that a rhythm guitarist can be very good without being a master of lead guitar, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Author:  jammin78 [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Johnston wrote:
minchy wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Haha, I always blame my drummer, and then get drum sticks thrown at me... hardly a way of improving time keeping!


My old drummer wasn't tall enough to be able to get over the top of the cymbals :lol: :lol:


Mabey because it's always IS the bassists fault???? Always the fuckups on bass, really nub players

only bass guitar players, brass bass players keep the whole band together :D

anyway, you guys should try playing in a marching band, where if you blame the drummers they'll throw their cymbals at you! (including the 11 year old attached to them!!!)


Over here they just fire a petrol bomb at you :lol: :lol:

Well, I'm glad my drummer didn't have that attitude. The only person he's beaten up with a cymbal is himself... well, my bassist kicked the cymbal over after a drum-stick-throwing-incident, and the cymbal hit drummer on the brow, cutting his brow open haha. Still, much better than petrol bomb or marching band abuse. Rock bands are far too tame compared to marching bands it seems. Wonder what would happen if Hamilton was in the marching band then.

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

jammin78 wrote:
Well, I'm glad my drummer didn't have that attitude. The only person he's beaten up with a cymbal is himself... well, my bassist kicked the cymbal over after a drum-stick-throwing-incident, and the cymbal hit drummer on the brow, cutting his brow open haha. Still, much better than petrol bomb or marching band abuse. Rock bands are far too tame compared to marching bands it seems. Wonder what would happen if Hamilton was in the marching band then.



If they put him on the lambegs no one would notice his timing :lol:

Author:  SilverstoneRegular [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Herbalist wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player


Hmm, lol the words of musician i see, that's not what past two decades taught me... tbh what u said is rubbish.

Any guitarist calling himself good has to be able to do both. You'll never be good lead guitarist unless you know exactly what the rhythm guitarist is doing and how to do it. Using dorian, lydian, mixolydian etc. scales(a must for any guitarist) requires extensible knowledge about chords associated with the scales. I'd actually say that a rhythm guitarist can be very good without being a master of lead guitar, but it doesn't work the other way around.



Actually yes the words of a musician.. I've been playing for 20 years this month! (Not as much practice as in my teen years but enough to keep a respectable standard)

Author:  Herbalist [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player


Hmm, lol the words of musician i see, that's not what past two decades taught me... tbh what u said is rubbish.

Any guitarist calling himself good has to be able to do both. You'll never be good lead guitarist unless you know exactly what the rhythm guitarist is doing and how to do it. Using dorian, lydian, mixolydian etc. scales(a must for any guitarist) requires extensible knowledge about chords associated with the scales. I'd actually say that a rhythm guitarist can be very good without being a master of lead guitar, but it doesn't work the other way around.



Actually yes the words of a musician.. I've been playing for 20 years this month! (Not as much practice as in my teen years but enough to keep a respectable standard)


lol, didn't expect that, but then you must know that what you said isn't true. I wouldn't be where i am now without spending equal amounts of time on both "schools". Both are important and can't say one is harder than the other.

Author:  mcdo [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Herbalist wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player


Hmm, lol the words of musician i see, that's not what past two decades taught me... tbh what u said is rubbish.

Any guitarist calling himself good has to be able to do both. You'll never be good lead guitarist unless you know exactly what the rhythm guitarist is doing and how to do it. Using dorian, lydian, mixolydian etc. scales(a must for any guitarist) requires extensible knowledge about chords associated with the scales. I'd actually say that a rhythm guitarist can be very good without being a master of lead guitar, but it doesn't work the other way around.

IMO rhythm guitar players don't need to know any theory. It helps knowing it of course, but you can get on fine without it.

I think lead is much more difficult. But I know plenty of fretboard wizards that can't strum to save their lives. Sometimes there's a natural "feel" to rhythm guitar that a lot of shredders just don't have.

Author:  Johnston [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

I don't think one is necessary more difficult than the other, they are just different skill sets on the same instrument. Some folk just naturally go one way or the other once they have basics down.

However I would put money on it anyone who has been in bands or just mucked about with mates has met at least one guy who can play the Kirk Hammett back catalogue of Solos but couldn't strum a decent chord pattern if his life depended on it.

Author:  Adaemus [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

:lol:

And THIS is why I hate other guitarists.

From a grade 8 guitarist who's been playing for nearly 20 years...he's pretty good.
;)

Author:  mcdo [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Johnston wrote:
I don't think one is necessary more difficult than the other, they are just different skill sets on the same instrument. Some folk just naturally go one way or the other once they have basics down.

However I would put money on it anyone who has been in bands or just mucked about with mates has met at least one guy who can play the Kirk Hammett back catalogue of Solos but couldn't strum a decent chord pattern if his life depended on it.

:lol: That's EXACTLY what I was on about!

Playing entire renditions of Master of Puppets and struggling to play the most basic of power chords.

Author:  Haribo [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

In the end there are 100.000 ds of guitar players , but only a few are able to drive at F1.

Author:  SilverstoneRegular [ Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hamilton playing guitar.

Herbalist wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Herbalist wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Big mistake people make is thinking that playing rhythm guitar is easier than lead guitar.. The discipline required for rhythm guitar is much more difficult that doing widdly w4nk off guitar solos and stuff

Lewis is a good player


Hmm, lol the words of musician i see, that's not what past two decades taught me... tbh what u said is rubbish.

Any guitarist calling himself good has to be able to do both. You'll never be good lead guitarist unless you know exactly what the rhythm guitarist is doing and how to do it. Using dorian, lydian, mixolydian etc. scales(a must for any guitarist) requires extensible knowledge about chords associated with the scales. I'd actually say that a rhythm guitarist can be very good without being a master of lead guitar, but it doesn't work the other way around.



Actually yes the words of a musician.. I've been playing for 20 years this month! (Not as much practice as in my teen years but enough to keep a respectable standard)


lol, didn't expect that, but then you must know that what you said isn't true. I wouldn't be where i am now without spending equal amounts of time on both "schools". Both are important and can't say one is harder than the other.


I've seen many a lead guitarist simply not have the discipline to stick to the rhythm before the urge to nincompoop off a widdly bit to satisfy their ego

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/