planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm 

Here are mine
5-1996 Spanish gp- unfnbelivable in those conditions to pass alesi and villeneuve and only running on 8 cylinders.
4-1997- Monaco gp again smashed em all in the wet by neally 2 whole mins at the finish
3-1998- Hungarian gp was in third behind both mclarens, which were on 2 stops he was on 3, in order to win Ross brawn said he needed to find 19secs in 21 laps to take lead. And he did and won
2-2006- Brazilian gp finished 4th in first final gp after early puncture put him last
1-1995- Belgian gp stated 16th and beat hill to victory on slicks while hill was on wets ,in unpredictable conditions he was able to hold of hill on the totally opposite tyre for the condition, amazing. Only one other drive to me deserves greater recognition, and it's sennas opening lap at donington 1993. That's the single graetest lap ever in an f1 race IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zYGkKzqco0 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm 

Don't forget his first qualifying, at Francorchamps in 1991. The car was fast, but it was his very first F1 race. I stood inside Blanchimont, busy being very impressed indeed.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm 

Spain 1994 when he was stuck in 5th gear for most of the race, and still finish second. He used his knowledge of racing sports cars and applied it to the situation. He even made pit stops in 5th gear.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm 

Hungary 1997, Spain 1996, Spain 1994, Brazil 1994, Belgium 1995

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

Silverstone 94, Adelaide 94, Jerez 97, Silverstone 99 and A1-Ring 2002 to start with.

I'm a big Schumi fan, so thought I'd get a few of the criticisms (and one big reason Schumi would have been even more successful) out in the open first before bashers turn up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:30 pm 

Good thread. I feel Schumacher thanks to his less than brilliant comeback has seen some forget a little, or perhaps those newer to F1 believe he was more of a myth. But some of his drives are just too impressive for that to be the case...

1. Hungary 1998 - Schumacher at his brilliant best. It looked for the most part that he was doing brilliantly just to hang onto the Mclaren's, nevermind the amazing stint (and I say that despite him running off the track at one point) that followed after they decided to short fuel him. He was given a bit of help with Hakkinen's problem but it was still an incredible performance.

2. Spain 1996 - His first win for Ferrari. Even without the most competitive car he simply destroyed the field in torrential rain. He was something like a good 4 seconds a lap faster than everyone else. Its as close to as unexplainable as things get...

3. Spa 1995 - Starting 16th he charged through the field but the critical stage was when it started raining and he stayed out on slicks. Hill on wets caught him but despite being on the wrong tyres Schumacher used all his skill and craft (and pushing the limits a little too!) to keep Hill behind him before it dried back up and going on to take victory.

4. Spain 1994 - Drove something like 40 laps with the car jammed in 5th gear to finish second. As good an example of any of how Schumacher could drive around a car problem as after the problem hit it took him only a few laps to adjust and start setting good times again.

5. Canada 2003 - Racing with terminal brake wear which was meant to end his race before half distance, Schumacher used his by now trademark quick laps around the pit stops to take the lead before managing to make things look rediculously easy holding off his brother despite using the brakes as little as possible on the hardest circuit on brakes. He made the brakes last and still managed to take the victory.

To be honest you could pick a lot more as well. 5 is not enough for Schumacher. You could easily include many other great drives in there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 pm 

Since his comeback, Canada 2011, Spa 2011 and Valencia 2012. He had a bit of luck in Valencia with the top cars breaking down or crashing out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 am 

This is just a great thread. And Fiki posted here - icing on the cake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am 

I have to say Hungary '98 is overrated with respect to Schumacher/Brawn cooperation. McLaren bungled up and lost the race for Coulthard all by themselves because Häkkinen had a car problem and they told Coulthard to stay behind him anyway. Häkkinen eventually withered to 6th place and Coulthard lost the race due to the time lost behind Häkkinen. In short, McLaren lost the race because of team orders.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 am 

My top 5

Spain 96 as.mentioned above.

Monaco 97. Sublime driving. 5 seconds faster than anyone else

Hungary 98. As above.

Spain 94. As above.

Spa 95. As above.

These stand out straight away. That's before we go on with thr following

Jerez 94. First race since his undeserved ban. Made a point.
Spa 97. 10 seconds faster than anyone else. Enough said.
Silverstone 98. Great drive. Made hakkinen crack.
France 98. Great contrlled drive.
Canada 98. Great win after a 10 sec stop go.
Argentina 98. Shouldn't of been that fast. At that point of the season.
Japan 00. Best drive I've seen in since 98 from him

And that's just off the top of my head before I even think about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:31 am 

Spain 1992 - In mixed Conditions this is when Schumi really made me sit up and take notice.

Nurburgring 1995 - Only needed to finish the race to virtually cement the title but pulled a qulity pass on Jean Alesi to take the win in front of his home crowd.

Canada 1997 - I remember being blown away by the lap times he was doing in that race

San Marino 2006 - Quite possibly the smartest strategy call ever... Going slow and then while Alonso pitted to get past hammering it to get out in front again... and that it was a reversal of 2005.

China 2006 - Charged through to win and take the lead in the championship

Japan 2000 - The two best drivers of the time going flat out lap after lap... finally got that first title for ferrari