planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 3170
It may be a controversial choice, but I'd put Brundle forward. I never understood how he had such a long career in f1 or how he got his seat at McLaren.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm
Posts: 845
Location: Qart-Hadast
What about Michael Andretti?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 314
Banana Man wrote:
Tuero was promising but his career was ended in the same incident which decided the 1998 WDC. He crashed into somebody (Takagi?) going into the final chicane in Suzuka and was launched up into the air. The hard landing damaged his back and he was unable to race in F1 again after that. Meanwhile Schumacher drove through the debris from the accident and had a puncture going down the main straight. The rest is history.

My nomination would probably be Giovanna Amati. She attempted to qualify for 3 races in a Brabham in 1992. In her 3rd and final attempt her best lap was 5 seconds slower than her team mate (the truly awesome Eric Van der Poele) and 11 seconds off pole. She was replaced by Damon Hill for the next race.

And Hill promptly DNQ'd for the next 5 races...
Amati wasn't F1 level sure, but the worst ever?
There are plenty of others out there who have never qualified for a race despite many more attempts than Amati.
Slow doesn't necessarily mean worst.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1385
Lentulus wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Tuero was promising but his career was ended in the same incident which decided the 1998 WDC. He crashed into somebody (Takagi?) going into the final chicane in Suzuka and was launched up into the air. The hard landing damaged his back and he was unable to race in F1 again after that. Meanwhile Schumacher drove through the debris from the accident and had a puncture going down the main straight. The rest is history.

My nomination would probably be Giovanna Amati. She attempted to qualify for 3 races in a Brabham in 1992. In her 3rd and final attempt her best lap was 5 seconds slower than her team mate (the truly awesome Eric Van der Poele) and 11 seconds off pole. She was replaced by Damon Hill for the next race.

And Hill promptly DNQ'd for the next 5 races...
Amati wasn't F1 level sure, but the worst ever?
There are plenty of others out there who have never qualified for a race despite many more attempts than Amati.
Slow doesn't necessarily mean worst.


I was less interested in DNQ and more interested in the '5 seconds slower than her team mate'. That's how I judge drivers, relative to another driver with the same equipment. Drivers like Takagi and Badoer may have been 5 seconds off the pace of a world champion but were never that bad.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: South Yorkshire
Since I started watching in 2009, the worst people I have seen in F1 have been Badoer and Nakajima

_________________
Jenson Button Fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am
Posts: 1650
minchy wrote:
It may be a controversial choice, but I'd put Brundle forward. I never understood how he had such a long career in f1 or how he got his seat at McLaren.


Nah, not Brundle. He had a good record against team mates and while he wasn't outstanding he was a competent and reliable driver at least...hardly one of the worst ever.

I do find the whole topic rather humbling if you think about it very deeply. Granted, some of us may just be the next Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso if we had had the same opportunities but I think a lot of these "worst ever" drivers would still whip some of us in the same car.

_________________
The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 am
Posts: 678
Location: Islamabad, Pakistan
Cucumber!!!!

_________________
KIMI: Yeah,Winning feels good.But I am not the type of guy to jump up and down and rub it in everyone's face.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 1940
Karun Chandhok was a bit gherkin poor, not the worst but still not fast.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco 2012, Silverstone 2014)
Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 1940
Chriso wrote:
Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.

Why would I care if he's Indian?

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco 2012, Silverstone 2014)
Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am
Posts: 1650
Chriso wrote:
Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.


Please, please, please don't go around throwing around racist accusations on no other premise than you found an opinion that disagrees with yours. It's a throwback to the worst of what we see on threads about Hamilton and derails threads faster than you can say trainwreck.

_________________
The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 am
Posts: 2616
Santuri9 wrote:
Since OP didn't specifically mention F1 drivers I have to give a shout out to my wife :( Even the dog is restless when she drives :D
All kidding aside I would say - Alex Yoong.

To look on the bright side, Alex Yoong is a pretty good commentator - certainly the best on ESPN/Star Sports :) .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
Chriso wrote:
Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.

*slow clap* Bravo, very endearing comment. /sarcasm

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 3930
specdecible wrote:
Karun Chandhok was a bit gherkin poor, not the worst but still not fast.


Extremely good as a commentator though. I loved the Friday/Saturday sessions when he was in the studio, the guy is a library of knowledge.

As a driver not very impressive, but we've seen worse

_________________
ΜΣ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
Ohh my god do I have to say "sarcasm" like this jeez, what Iam saying is that every team mate he had he beat , I could think of worser drivers you coulda picked, but it's ok totally your opinion, all good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
Chriso wrote:
Ohh my god do I have to say "sarcasm" like this jeez, what Iam saying is that every team mate he had he beat , I could think of worser drivers you coulda picked, but it's ok totally your opinion, all good

I wouldn't even joke about the 'racist' subject around here mate, it really doesn't go down well, for future reference.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
No worries matey, might wanna be a bit more alluring in ur post towards me next time, I might think it's racist or offensive, can't tell me not one person on this whole site has ever brought up Lewis and his black comments. Just a joke mate jeez, anyway sorry.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 3930
Chriso wrote:
No worries matey, might wanna be a bit more alluring in ur post towards me next time, I might think it's racist or offensive, can't tell me not one person on this whole site has ever brought up Lewis and his black comments. Just a joke mate jeez, anyway sorry.


Don't take it personally like that. Just remember that this is a public forum, you have kids that can be reading here. Apart from that, without smileys or quotes or whatever, you can understand it can be hard for everyone to see that it was a joke, some may not get it; not all people are fluent in English here, not all people come from where you come so not all people may share your kind of humour and find it funny. I know it was not intended as a nasty racist remark, but you need to understand why people could misinterpret it.

No harm done anyway

_________________
ΜΣ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
Chriso wrote:
No worries matey, might wanna be a bit more alluring in ur post towards me next time, I might think it's racist or offensive, can't tell me not one person on this whole site has ever brought up Lewis and his black comments. Just a joke mate jeez, anyway sorry.

It didn't offend me don't worry, I only get offended if someone insults my dog! Just thought I'd warn you that a lot of people do take offence. I mean people take offence if you say their driver isn't as good as yours etc, so imagine what a potentially racist comment could do!
On a different tangent, I was quite amused you said to be more "alluring" in posts towards you. Doesn't "allure" mean to entice someone, to be subtly attractive? I just picture tarting my posts up to entice readers now haha. I'll stop being random now, it's been a long first half of the day in work...

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
Well I had to post as iam part Indian and Lebanese so I didnt find racist otherwise wouldn't post, as fir word alluring, why it's perfect analogy, as if iam not attracted to wat ur gonna post, I ain't gonna read it hey. Sorry don't me to come across so harsh, just find it your so straight forward with your answer assuming I wasn't of that decent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Wrexham, UK
S'all good dude!
I like the word alluring... I might use it more in day to day conversation...

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
potter84 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Who was the guy who parked it after a lap or something in practice complaining of too much grip?

Nissany?



I think you are right.

Sat in the car whilst it was on the crane because he couldn't get the steering wheel off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWSBHbgUlg

i forgot all about that! Made my week that has


Never saw this before... this guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 3930
This was quite an embarrassing incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYq9T8ukyk

_________________
ΜΣ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Posts: 1345
SchumieRules wrote:
This was quite an embarrassing incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYq9T8ukyk

:lol: :lol: twas funny


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: The Finnish forests
Chanoch Nissany gives me hope - with him having started racing at 38, I can still become a F1 driver even if I don't start in another 20 years or so!

He definitely qualifies on the list of worst F1 drivers though - talk about having no idea what you've gotten yourself into!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:35 pm
Posts: 867
Yuji Ide... He should have stayed in JGTC or Formula Nippon.

Honestly, people said Pedro Diniz and Diniz was actually a solid driver and considering he was a pay driver he earned respect through the paddock after racing with Arrows and did quite well. Thats how he managed to get with Sauber.

Chandok is a top guy, but being an F1 driver was not his best deal. He did well in Le Mans, but F1 is another story.

Kazuki Nakajima was a decent driver as well. His first season was actually decent, but it was 2009 that pretty much rode him off. If, it was not for his dad and Toyota, I think he would have not gotten the seat, but he was decent.

Luca Badoer... All I have to say it German GP 1999. That just broke my heart as a child.

I did not see Deltraz or anyone else, so I do not really know.

I don't consider these guys to be bad because they maybe successful in other forms of motorsports and F1 is just not for them. They're professionals after all.

_________________
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: UK
No mention for Paul Belmondo yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 225
Johnston wrote:
Sat in the car whilst it was on the crane because he couldn't get the steering wheel off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWSBHbgUlg


Seen that clip many times, but every time I see it, damn how EMBARRASSING!!, I would have gnawed my way out of the car just not to get embarrassed in front of the motoracing world like that. :uhoh: :uhoh: :blush: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 276
Unsurprisingly, he never made it anywhere near F1 but Andrew Ridgeley was as much use in an F3 car as he was in Wham!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
Lol forgot about nissany, for all you other readers who didn't know my pick Taki Inoue was, this guy was the modern equiverlant


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am
Posts: 1650
OutKast wrote:
Yuji Ide... He should have stayed in JGTC or Formula Nippon.

Honestly, people said Pedro Diniz and Diniz was actually a solid driver and considering he was a pay driver he earned respect through the paddock after racing with Arrows and did quite well. Thats how he managed to get with Sauber.

Chandok is a top guy, but being an F1 driver was not his best deal. He did well in Le Mans, but F1 is another story.

Kazuki Nakajima was a decent driver as well. His first season was actually decent, but it was 2009 that pretty much rode him off. If, it was not for his dad and Toyota, I think he would have not gotten the seat, but he was decent.

Luca Badoer... All I have to say it German GP 1999. That just broke my heart as a child.

I did not see Deltraz or anyone else, so I do not really know.

I don't consider these guys to be bad because they maybe successful in other forms of motorsports and F1 is just not for them. They're professionals after all.


Mine too. That was an emotional race for a lot of people, with Frentzen losing a great chance to make up huge ground in the championship, Badoer and Stewart getting their first win. Badoer is a strange case because he has the dubious record of most races without a point so it's easy to think he was terrible, but he can't have been that bad or Ferrari wouldn't have retained him as a test driver all those years.

_________________
The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
You also left out jarmo trullis first podium, that race is one of my favorite ever gps at one point ralf Schumacher looked like he would take his first one till tradegy struck, can't quite remember wat happened, puncture I think not sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:17 am
Posts: 61
I'd nominate Johnny Dumfries in the list. He was clearly there for hisone and only season because of his money but didn't show that much talent and was never looked by another team again


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1799
Location: Belgium
Waders wrote:
Sorry folks, only one answer is acceptable: Jean-Denis Delatraz.

Nigel Roebuck once wrote that Delatraz made Lavaggi look like Nuvolari. Among his other gifts to F1, Delatraz once went round a corner at Estoril so slowly that he stalled and had to be push started by the marshalls! He was lapped after 10 laps at Adelaide 1994 and at Portugal 1995 was 40 seconds behind the leader after three laps despite a trouble-free run.


Yes that's the name coming to my mind too. He is easily the worst.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 1799
Location: Belgium
Did Nissany ever participate in official qualifications or even friday testing? You can hardly call him an official F1 driver I think.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 104
I think nissany did a practice session at the hungarian gp dunno wat yr 2002 maybe don't know


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm
Posts: 1070
Location: The Finnish forests
Chriso wrote:
I think nissany did a practice session at the hungarian gp dunno wat yr 2002 maybe don't know


He was driving in practice at Hungary 2005.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Posts: 276
johnrout2012 wrote:
I'd nominate Johnny Dumfries in the list. He was clearly there for hisone and only season because of his money but didn't show that much talent and was never looked by another team again

I say, steady on - that's a bit harsh. John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of Bute (aka Johnny Dumfries aka John Bute) was pretty impressive in Formula 3. In 1984 he scored 14 wins and dominated the British F3 Championship and was runner-up to Ivan Capelli in the European F3 Championship. In 1988 with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers he won the Le Mans 24 Hour Race.

He was less impressive in F3000 and F1, scoring only 3 points in his 1986 season with Lotus - though normal Lotus reliability meant that he retired from 9 of the 16 races. His presence in the Lotus F1 team had more to do with Ayrton Senna vetoing Derek Warwick as a team-mate than family money (he did not inherit the title and the fortune that went with it until 1993). He was replaced by Satoru Nakajima for 1987 - the price of Lotus getting Honda engines.

Incidentally, F3 success ran in the family, his older cousin Charles Crichton-Stuart was a successful F3 driver in the 1960s, winning the Argentine Temporada series in 1965. Charlie C-S later became an ace sponsor finder for Frank Williams, Ron Dennis and Alan Jones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 24
How about Gregor Foitek ? Ghinzani?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Posts: 729
Not necessarily the worst drivers but drivers who came into F1 with teams who actually had a hope of scoring decent points, but were still pretty rubbish.

Antonia Pizzonia, Jan Magnussen, Michael Andretti, Ricardo Zonta, Shinji Nakano, Luciano Burti, Ralph Firman

_________________
Pick 10 Competition:
2013 - 10th Place
Winner of the Nico Hulkenberg Trophy and Mystic Eddie Jordan's Crystal Ball


Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mas, shoot999 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group