planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm 

It may be a controversial choice, but I'd put Brundle forward. I never understood how he had such a long career in f1 or how he got his seat at McLaren.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm 

What about Michael Andretti?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Tuero was promising but his career was ended in the same incident which decided the 1998 WDC. He crashed into somebody (Takagi?) going into the final chicane in Suzuka and was launched up into the air. The hard landing damaged his back and he was unable to race in F1 again after that. Meanwhile Schumacher drove through the debris from the accident and had a puncture going down the main straight. The rest is history.

My nomination would probably be Giovanna Amati. She attempted to qualify for 3 races in a Brabham in 1992. In her 3rd and final attempt her best lap was 5 seconds slower than her team mate (the truly awesome Eric Van der Poele) and 11 seconds off pole. She was replaced by Damon Hill for the next race.

And Hill promptly DNQ'd for the next 5 races...
Amati wasn't F1 level sure, but the worst ever?
There are plenty of others out there who have never qualified for a race despite many more attempts than Amati.
Slow doesn't necessarily mean worst.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 am 

Lentulus wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Tuero was promising but his career was ended in the same incident which decided the 1998 WDC. He crashed into somebody (Takagi?) going into the final chicane in Suzuka and was launched up into the air. The hard landing damaged his back and he was unable to race in F1 again after that. Meanwhile Schumacher drove through the debris from the accident and had a puncture going down the main straight. The rest is history.

My nomination would probably be Giovanna Amati. She attempted to qualify for 3 races in a Brabham in 1992. In her 3rd and final attempt her best lap was 5 seconds slower than her team mate (the truly awesome Eric Van der Poele) and 11 seconds off pole. She was replaced by Damon Hill for the next race.

And Hill promptly DNQ'd for the next 5 races...
Amati wasn't F1 level sure, but the worst ever?
There are plenty of others out there who have never qualified for a race despite many more attempts than Amati.
Slow doesn't necessarily mean worst.

I was less interested in DNQ and more interested in the '5 seconds slower than her team mate'. That's how I judge drivers, relative to another driver with the same equipment. Drivers like Takagi and Badoer may have been 5 seconds off the pace of a world champion but were never that bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 am 

Since I started watching in 2009, the worst people I have seen in F1 have been Badoer and Nakajima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 am 

minchy wrote:
It may be a controversial choice, but I'd put Brundle forward. I never understood how he had such a long career in f1 or how he got his seat at McLaren.

Nah, not Brundle. He had a good record against team mates and while he wasn't outstanding he was a competent and reliable driver at least...hardly one of the worst ever.

I do find the whole topic rather humbling if you think about it very deeply. Granted, some of us may just be the next Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso if we had had the same opportunities but I think a lot of these "worst ever" drivers would still whip some of us in the same car.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 am 

Cucumber!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:02 am 

Karun Chandhok was a bit gherkin poor, not the worst but still not fast.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:59 am 

Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:04 am 

Chriso wrote:
Chandhok, no way he was half decent, he beat any team mate he had even senna. It's cuz his Indian isn't.

Why would I care if he's Indian?

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 am 

Chriso wrote:

Please, please, please don't go around throwing around racist accusations on no other premise than you found an opinion that disagrees with yours. It's a throwback to the worst of what we see on threads about Hamilton and derails threads faster than you can say trainwreck.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am 

Santuri9 wrote:
Since OP didn't specifically mention F1 drivers I have to give a shout out to my wife :( Even the dog is restless when she drives :D
All kidding aside I would say - Alex Yoong.

To look on the bright side, Alex Yoong is a pretty good commentator - certainly the best on ESPN/Star Sports :) .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 am 

Chriso wrote:

*slow clap* Bravo, very endearing comment. /sarcasm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 am 

specdecible wrote:
Karun Chandhok was a bit gherkin poor, not the worst but still not fast.

Extremely good as a commentator though. I loved the Friday/Saturday sessions when he was in the studio, the guy is a library of knowledge.

As a driver not very impressive, but we've seen worse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:44 am 

Ohh my god do I have to say "sarcasm" like this jeez, what Iam saying is that every team mate he had he beat , I could think of worser drivers you coulda picked, but it's ok totally your opinion, all good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 am 

Chriso wrote:
Ohh my god do I have to say "sarcasm" like this jeez, what Iam saying is that every team mate he had he beat , I could think of worser drivers you coulda picked, but it's ok totally your opinion, all good

I wouldn't even joke about the 'racist' subject around here mate, it really doesn't go down well, for future reference.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am 

No worries matey, might wanna be a bit more alluring in ur post towards me next time, I might think it's racist or offensive, can't tell me not one person on this whole site has ever brought up Lewis and his black comments. Just a joke mate jeez, anyway sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 pm 

Chriso wrote:
No worries matey, might wanna be a bit more alluring in ur post towards me next time, I might think it's racist or offensive, can't tell me not one person on this whole site has ever brought up Lewis and his black comments. Just a joke mate jeez, anyway sorry.

Don't take it personally like that. Just remember that this is a public forum, you have kids that can be reading here. Apart from that, without smileys or quotes or whatever, you can understand it can be hard for everyone to see that it was a joke, some may not get it; not all people are fluent in English here, not all people come from where you come so not all people may share your kind of humour and find it funny. I know it was not intended as a nasty racist remark, but you need to understand why people could misinterpret it.

No harm done anyway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm 

Chriso wrote:

It didn't offend me don't worry, I only get offended if someone insults my dog! Just thought I'd warn you that a lot of people do take offence. I mean people take offence if you say their driver isn't as good as yours etc, so imagine what a potentially racist comment could do!
On a different tangent, I was quite amused you said to be more "alluring" in posts towards you. Doesn't "allure" mean to entice someone, to be subtly attractive? I just picture tarting my posts up to entice readers now haha. I'll stop being random now, it's been a long first half of the day in work...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:56 pm 

Well I had to post as iam part Indian and Lebanese so I didnt find racist otherwise wouldn't post, as fir word alluring, why it's perfect analogy, as if iam not attracted to wat ur gonna post, I ain't gonna read it hey. Sorry don't me to come across so harsh, just find it your so straight forward with your answer assuming I wasn't of that decent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm 

S'all good dude!
I like the word alluring... I might use it more in day to day conversation...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 pm 

potter84 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Who was the guy who parked it after a lap or something in practice complaining of too much grip?

Nissany?

I think you are right.

Sat in the car whilst it was on the crane because he couldn't get the steering wheel off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWSBHbgUlg

i forgot all about that! Made my week that has

Never saw this before... this guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm 

This was quite an embarrassing incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYq9T8ukyk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
This was quite an embarrassing incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYq9T8ukyk

:lol: :lol: twas funny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm 

Chanoch Nissany gives me hope - with him having started racing at 38, I can still become a F1 driver even if I don't start in another 20 years or so!

He definitely qualifies on the list of worst F1 drivers though - talk about having no idea what you've gotten yourself into!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm 

Yuji Ide... He should have stayed in JGTC or Formula Nippon.

Honestly, people said Pedro Diniz and Diniz was actually a solid driver and considering he was a pay driver he earned respect through the paddock after racing with Arrows and did quite well. Thats how he managed to get with Sauber.

Chandok is a top guy, but being an F1 driver was not his best deal. He did well in Le Mans, but F1 is another story.

Kazuki Nakajima was a decent driver as well. His first season was actually decent, but it was 2009 that pretty much rode him off. If, it was not for his dad and Toyota, I think he would have not gotten the seat, but he was decent.

Luca Badoer... All I have to say it German GP 1999. That just broke my heart as a child.

I did not see Deltraz or anyone else, so I do not really know.

I don't consider these guys to be bad because they maybe successful in other forms of motorsports and F1 is just not for them. They're professionals after all.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm 

No mention for Paul Belmondo yet?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Sat in the car whilst it was on the crane because he couldn't get the steering wheel off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWSBHbgUlg

Seen that clip many times, but every time I see it, damn how EMBARRASSING!!, I would have gnawed my way out of the car just not to get embarrassed in front of the motoracing world like that. :uhoh: :uhoh: :blush: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm 

Unsurprisingly, he never made it anywhere near F1 but Andrew Ridgeley was as much use in an F3 car as he was in Wham!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 am 

Lol forgot about nissany, for all you other readers who didn't know my pick Taki Inoue was, this guy was the modern equiverlant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 am 

OutKast wrote:
Yuji Ide... He should have stayed in JGTC or Formula Nippon.

Honestly, people said Pedro Diniz and Diniz was actually a solid driver and considering he was a pay driver he earned respect through the paddock after racing with Arrows and did quite well. Thats how he managed to get with Sauber.

Chandok is a top guy, but being an F1 driver was not his best deal. He did well in Le Mans, but F1 is another story.

Kazuki Nakajima was a decent driver as well. His first season was actually decent, but it was 2009 that pretty much rode him off. If, it was not for his dad and Toyota, I think he would have not gotten the seat, but he was decent.

Luca Badoer... All I have to say it German GP 1999. That just broke my heart as a child.

I did not see Deltraz or anyone else, so I do not really know.

I don't consider these guys to be bad because they maybe successful in other forms of motorsports and F1 is just not for them. They're professionals after all.

Mine too. That was an emotional race for a lot of people, with Frentzen losing a great chance to make up huge ground in the championship, Badoer and Stewart getting their first win. Badoer is a strange case because he has the dubious record of most races without a point so it's easy to think he was terrible, but he can't have been that bad or Ferrari wouldn't have retained him as a test driver all those years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 am 

You also left out jarmo trullis first podium, that race is one of my favorite ever gps at one point ralf Schumacher looked like he would take his first one till tradegy struck, can't quite remember wat happened, puncture I think not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 am 

I'd nominate Johnny Dumfries in the list. He was clearly there for hisone and only season because of his money but didn't show that much talent and was never looked by another team again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am 

Waders wrote:
Sorry folks, only one answer is acceptable: Jean-Denis Delatraz.

Nigel Roebuck once wrote that Delatraz made Lavaggi look like Nuvolari. Among his other gifts to F1, Delatraz once went round a corner at Estoril so slowly that he stalled and had to be push started by the marshalls! He was lapped after 10 laps at Adelaide 1994 and at Portugal 1995 was 40 seconds behind the leader after three laps despite a trouble-free run.

Yes that's the name coming to my mind too. He is easily the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am 

Did Nissany ever participate in official qualifications or even friday testing? You can hardly call him an official F1 driver I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm 

I think nissany did a practice session at the hungarian gp dunno wat yr 2002 maybe don't know

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm 

Chriso wrote:
I think nissany did a practice session at the hungarian gp dunno wat yr 2002 maybe don't know

He was driving in practice at Hungary 2005.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 pm 

johnrout2012 wrote:
I'd nominate Johnny Dumfries in the list. He was clearly there for hisone and only season because of his money but didn't show that much talent and was never looked by another team again

I say, steady on - that's a bit harsh. John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of Bute (aka Johnny Dumfries aka John Bute) was pretty impressive in Formula 3. In 1984 he scored 14 wins and dominated the British F3 Championship and was runner-up to Ivan Capelli in the European F3 Championship. In 1988 with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers he won the Le Mans 24 Hour Race.

He was less impressive in F3000 and F1, scoring only 3 points in his 1986 season with Lotus - though normal Lotus reliability meant that he retired from 9 of the 16 races. His presence in the Lotus F1 team had more to do with Ayrton Senna vetoing Derek Warwick as a team-mate than family money (he did not inherit the title and the fortune that went with it until 1993). He was replaced by Satoru Nakajima for 1987 - the price of Lotus getting Honda engines.

Incidentally, F3 success ran in the family, his older cousin Charles Crichton-Stuart was a successful F3 driver in the 1960s, winning the Argentine Temporada series in 1965. Charlie C-S later became an ace sponsor finder for Frank Williams, Ron Dennis and Alan Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm 

How about Gregor Foitek ? Ghinzani?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 pm 

Not necessarily the worst drivers but drivers who came into F1 with teams who actually had a hope of scoring decent points, but were still pretty rubbish.

Antonia Pizzonia, Jan Magnussen, Michael Andretti, Ricardo Zonta, Shinji Nakano, Luciano Burti, Ralph Firman

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014