planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: gillian leaves williams
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37 pm 

Mark Gillian had left Williams its been reported today strange he only joined in 2011, leaving to spend more time with family... Not so sure myself

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:07 pm 

Idk the details but if we all go back to when Parr left Williams, initially it was announced that he "wanted to get close to his family"...

Does Williams F1 keep their employees away from their families or what? everyone who leaves wants to get close to their families...and after a few months the real details emerge :)

I'm being cheeky .. that's all ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm 

Its Gillan, not Gillian.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 pm 

Sorry my mistake while typing i have a friend with surname Gillian guess i am used to typing it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:03 am 

Venomal wrote:
Idk the details but if we all go back to when Parr left Williams, initially it was announced that he "wanted to get close to his family"...

Does Williams F1 keep their employees away from their families or what? everyone who leaves wants to get close to their families...and after a few months the real details emerge :)

Well, it is the standard line trotted out by politicians, from them it's more difficult to believe because they get much better holiday than those who work in F1.

For those who work in F1, with the amount of travel and hours they put in even when back in the UK, it might just be the truth. It's the nature of the beast that they have to spend a lot of time away from the family. That said, it is a very convenient and diplomatic way to dismiss somebody and allow the person leaving to save face. I don't know the ins and outs, as you wrote give it a few months.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
hittheapex wrote:
Venomal wrote:

Well, it is the standard line trotted out by politicians, from them it's more difficult to believe because they get much better holiday than those who work in F1.

For those who work in F1, with the amount of travel and hours they put in even when back in the UK, it might just be the truth. It's the nature of the beast that they have to spend a lot of time away from the family. That said, it is a very convenient and diplomatic way to dismiss somebody and allow the person leaving to save face. I don't know the ins and outs, as you wrote give it a few months.

We know why Parr left cos he's talked about it in his book. Bernie threatened to cut Williams out of the new deal on money distribution if Parr continued to work for them. Bernie despised him, simple as that. But Gillan was an engineer so if it's a personal thing with somebody it's likely to be inter-team. Coughlan was his direct boss so may be a likely candidate? But that's pure speculation.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

Everything I see tells me there's a lot more to this saga.

There's been a lot of huge changes within Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited in the last couple of years. Sir Frank has stepped down, Patrick Head is also gone, they sold a minority interest in their team to an investment company, the company has floated shares to the public, it has branched out selling their technology, they just renewed their partnership with Renault in 2012, make no mistake, Williams f1 is undergoing major changes within their management.

So when one of the key players responsible for the improvement of their car in 2012 suddenly, out of the blue, just gives a questionable reason for cutting ties with Williams, my alarm bells go off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm 

there is something not right about this , adam parr leaves in middle of season for family reasons , chief operations engineer leaves in the verge of the new season . to quote mark webber here "oh, is there politics in F1 ? never "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Everything I see tells me there's a lot more to this saga.

There's been a lot of huge changes within Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited in the last couple of years. Sir Frank has stepped down, Patrick Head is also gone, they sold a minority interest in their team to an investment company, the company has floated shares to the public, it has branched out selling their technology, they just renewed their partnership with Renault in 2012, make no mistake, Williams f1 is undergoing major changes within their management.

So when one of the key players responsible for the improvement of their car in 2012 suddenly, out of the blue, just gives a questionable reason for cutting ties with Williams, my alarm bells go off.

don't forget Toto getting more control and his Mrs getting the Friday seat.

Just remember what happened the last time a Wolfe got heavily involved in a Frank williams team ;)

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm 

Assessing Williams' staff resignations since 2011

May 2011

Who - Sam Michael
Reason given - poor car, felt responsible etc (see recent Haug resignation at Merc)
Actual reason - So far as we know, no reason to doubt this, but you never know, could be more to it.

March 2012

Who - Adam Parr
Reason given - To spend more time with his family
Actual reason - Appears him and Bernie didn't get on, Williams were given big money to get rid of him.

December 2012

Who - Mark Gillan and 2 others
Reason given - MG - To spend more time with his family. Others - moved to Sauber and Force India.
Actual reason - Who knows as of yet. Seems suspicious though.

In his blog, thejudge13 replied to a comment about Gillan's resignation with this:

"I will be having a chat to a couple of people when I go to Jerez – but I suspect all is not well. Following the news that Gillan was leaving I received a cryptic message from someone at Williams – “The sniper has been out today then” "

Seems as if the atmosphere in Williams is not at all good at the moment. Theo_55 on PF1 article suggests the possibility of disagreement between driver choice - could it be this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:24 pm 

DWilD wrote:
Assessing Williams' staff resignations since 2011

May 2011

Who - Sam Michael
Reason given - poor car, felt responsible etc (see recent Haug resignation at Merc)
Actual reason - So far as we know, no reason to doubt this, but you never know, could be more to it.

March 2012

Who - Adam Parr
Reason given - To spend more time with his family
Actual reason - Appears him and Bernie didn't get on, Williams were given big money to get rid of him.

December 2012

Who - Mark Gillan and 2 others
Reason given - MG - To spend more time with his family. Others - moved to Sauber and Force India.
Actual reason - Who knows as of yet. Seems suspicious though.

In his blog, thejudge13 replied to a comment about Gillan's resignation with this:

"I will be having a chat to a couple of people when I go to Jerez – but I suspect all is not well. Following the news that Gillan was leaving I received a cryptic message from someone at Williams – “The sniper has been out today then” "

Seems as if the atmosphere in Williams is not at all good at the moment. Theo_55 on PF1 article suggests the possibility of disagreement between driver choice - could it be this?

seems strange to quit over driver choice although he said he wasn't too happy with bottas having every Friday session as it meant Bruno having to set the car from scratch as they had totally different set ups, but when asked if it harmed senna he said that it helped bottas (not quite answering the question) so who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:45 pm 

Didn't he already leave F1 once to go back to his career in academia? It seems like be may have been lured back by the excitement and hoping things had changed, and then he found out they haven't, so he got tired of it pretty quickly and left again. <shrug> Just speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
Didn't he already leave F1 once to go back to his career in academia? It seems like be may have been lured back by the excitement and hoping things had changed, and then he found out they haven't, so he got tired of it pretty quickly and left again. <shrug> Just speculation.

so u actually shrugged after saying that ?