planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 am 

confirmed by marussia twitter , another british driver, another hype

that makes it 4 years with 4 rookies for marussia 2 of them already out of F1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am 

http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motorspor ... CMP=chrome

So far he's hardly shown excellence in lower formulas. It's going to take a massive effort for him to prove himself. Especially in a car at the back of the grid.

1 season fly-by night driver is my bet though. He seems like a nice chap, but I just dont see him being good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am 

RebellionLola wrote:
that makes it 4 years with 4 rookies for marussia 2 of them already out of F1

Jerome is still with Lotus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am 

Poor performance in lower formulas doesn't necessarily mean he'll also be crap in F1 - I wish him all the best though.

Four Brits in 2013!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:42 am 

Pic didn't excel in lower formulas, and he's regarded as one of the best rookies of 2012, and is the first Marussia "graduate" as such, who's moved on to a new team and remained in a race seat the following year. To be honest I don't expect much from Chilton, I thought Calado would've been a better bet, but I'm not in charge of Marussia's driver selection ha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Pop quiz: when was the last time F1 had three full time English race drivers?

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am 

Balibari wrote:

Brundle Herbert and Hill in '96 perhaps?

First guess.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 am 

Balibari wrote:

Probably 1992 with Blundell, Brundle and Hill.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 am 

Just another pay driver.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am 

I'm just hoping Max does better than his big brother. I was waiting for 9 years for Tom to live up to his hype in the BTCC and he was almost invisible, didn't do too well in his first WTCC season last year either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm 

Balibari wrote:

If you mean English and not British (So excluding Coulthard/Di Resta) then I think it would be 2007 with Hamilton, Button and Davidson.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
Balibari wrote:

If you mean English and not British (So excluding Coulthard/Di Resta) then I think it would be 2007 with Hamilton, Button and Davidson.

Yup.

I was thinking thinking along the lines of Raisin and Johnston when I remembered Ralph Firman, Justin Wilson and Button circa 2003. Thought it would make a good trick question. Luckily I checked cos I'd completely forgotten Davidson and Hamilton shared the track in 07!

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 pm 

I'd forgotten Davidson had done a full season :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:38 pm 

Ralph Firman, forgotten all about him

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:40 pm 

I thought Firman was Irish?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

I'm not quite sure but I think he was English but raced under an Irish license for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 pm 

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

I'm not quite sure but I think he was English but raced under an Irish license for some reason.

Just checked, he's from Norfolk but raced under Irish licence. Knew there was something Irish about him... that and his boss was EJ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm 

Didn't he have a four leaf clover on his helmet, so to speak :-P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 pm 

He has looked average at best in lower formulas and i just haven't seen anything to indicate he can make the step up, pay drivers are fine but only to an extent in my view, it was a relatively poor gp2 grid last year and he finished 4th. He will make up the numbers and be gone year after. Although im British im not one for supporting a driver just because he is the same nationality as me i don't think he deserves it plenty others deserve it more but his dad and maurissa have a good relationship and cash backing. But i just cant help but think there are others out there (Brits included) that looked a lot better, i even remember brundle saying good for him but i wonder how he got that seat? (referring to his 3rd and reserve role) as it was rumored he was all but in for 2013

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm 

People are saying he has had a poo junior career, I am not so sure. He looked good in GP2 last year, not as good as Calado but far from a waste talentless. He has had a better career in lower formulas than Pic who did well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 pm 

Fantastic news, looks like four british drivers next year!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm 

minchy wrote:
I'm just hoping Max does better than his big brother. I was waiting for 9 years for Tom to live up to his hype in the BTCC and he was almost invisible, didn't do too well in his first WTCC season last year either.

Didn't think he was too bad in BTCC. 2010 - fifth overall and Independents champion for example.

WTCC - unlikely to make much of a mark in first season, with different points system (although admittedly the same no. of points scorers in BTCC pre-2012) and up against those who have been there much longer. Plus, looking at results, Chevrolet seemed unbeatable this year. Also, his teammate in WTCC 2012 (James Nash) was BTCC independents champion 2011. So the team in WTCC 2012 consisted of the 2 most recent independent champions in BTCC, yet neither made a big impact, so it seems as if it will just take time. Having not watched it, (I dont know if you have or not), it is difficult to know how good the car was also.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:33 pm 

Hmm...

Di Grassi didn't have a great record, he beat Glock (standings wise) released after 2010.
D'Ambrosio didn't have a great record, he beat Glock (standings wise) released after 2011.
Pic didn't have a great record, he beat Glock (standings wise) picked up after 2012, but I think he would have been released regardless and unnoticed.

I would not be surprised if Chilton would not do the same.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 pm 

Hang on, Glock's been beaten standings wise for the past 3 years on the trot, and we still sign his praises? WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Hang on, Glock's been beaten standings wise for the past 3 years on the trot, and we still sign his praises? WTF?

Don,t forget all it takes is one race result for those guys.

So in theory Glock could finish in front 19 from 20. But if his highest is twelfth and in that one race the other guy gets 11th because everyone crashes out. The one race gets the championship position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

Wait. Not this year because of his 12th place finish at Singapore. Pic had a couple of retirements due to mechanical problems, but yes Glock has been beaten 2 out of 3 years at Marussia.

EDIT: That is very true Johnston, but would you rather keep Glock or find a younger talent? Why do you think they signed Glock to a multi-year deal instead of another driver?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:46 pm 

Standings don't tell the full story. Karthikeyan beat de la Rosa this season (thanks to 15th in Monaco) but he never finished ahead of Pedro when both finished.

Probably same with Glock. His teammates just lucked into a good finishing position when there was high attrition and Glock retired as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm 

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Don,t forget all it takes is one race result for those guys.

So in theory Glock could finish in front 19 from 20. But if his highest is twelfth and in that one race the other guy gets 11th because everyone crashes out. The one race gets the championship position.

Truth, but it just surprises me!
Glock won 13/7 against Pic this year in terms of finishing higher.
I find it odd that Pic finished ahead though. They both scored a 12th place finish, but Pic's next best result was a single 15th compared to 14th three times for Glock. How do they work it out? Glock's even got an average finishing place of 17.36 compared to Pic's 18.1 (I'm just using a quick spreadsheet, these may not be accurate, work's just boring).
So how do they work out Pic won?

Actually, Glock came 20th in WDC, Pic in 21st. My whole working out is moot. Bo**ocks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 pm 

Just two seats left then, one each at Caterham and Force India, doesn't look good for KK.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
Balibari wrote:

I think you're missing that season's WDC off that list!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
RaisinChips wrote:
Balibari wrote:

I think you're missing that season's WDC off that list!

:blush: Right.. I had Mansell in mind but accidentally wrote Hill instead, who only drove a few races that year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm 

What you have to understand is, you don't just get an F1 drive for driving talent alone. What Max has done while in motorsports and more recently in association with Marussia is show he has great development and people skills.

He has a great ability to give detailed feedback to the engineers to help with car development and set-ups. This is one of the key aspects in him getting the drive, as Marussia are always looking for any drivers that can give good detailed feedback that can aid with car development and set-ups during a weekend.

Of course his potential as a driver was also noticed by Marussia while in a test role in their F1 car and in association with their team in GP2, which helped allot. Generally a driver gelling with the team members with good people/cooperate skills and being able to give detailed feedback are vital aspects of getting a potential drive (Along with sponsorship money)

Now if he has what it takes to drive as a full time F1 driver we will have to see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm 

Jomox wrote:
What you have to understand is, you don't just get an F1 drive for driving talent alone. What Max has done while in motorsports and more recently in association with Marussia is show he has great development and people skills.

He has a great ability to give detailed feedback to the engineers to help with car development and set-ups. This is one of the key aspects in him getting the drive, as Marussia are always looking for any drivers that can give good detailed feedback that can aid with car development and set-ups during a weekend.

Of course his potential as a driver was also noticed by Marussia while in a test role in their F1 car and in association with their team in GP2, which helped allot. Generally a driver gelling with the team members with good people/cooperate skills and being able to give detailed feedback are vital aspects of getting a potential drive (Along with sponsorship money)

Now if he has what it takes to drive as a full time F1 driver we will have to see.

Well, the same thing was said about Luca Di Grassi in 2010. He was also very similar in his development and people skills. Luca was very good with setting up his car and giving feedback he was pretty talented with it as well. This is the reason why Pirelli signed him as a test driver because he is good with feedback and giving information needed for the team to develop the car or in this case give feedback about the tires.

Also, even though Luca was talented he was not bringing in the money to stay. Which is why Marussia (Virgin Racing then) did not keep him. He did not bring any money in for the team, but Chilton does this in bringing the much needed funds for the small Marussia team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm 

OutKast wrote:
Jomox wrote:

Well, the same thing was said about Luca Di Grassi in 2010. He was also very similar in his development and people skills. Luca was very good with setting up his car and giving feedback he was pretty talented with it as well. This is the reason why Pirelli signed him as a test driver because he is good with feedback and giving information needed for the team to develop the car or in this case give feedback about the tires.

Also, even though Luca was talented he was not bringing in the money to stay. Which is why Marussia (Virgin Racing then) did not keep him. He did not bring any money in for the team, but Chilton does this in bringing the much needed funds for the small Marussia team.

I actually rated Di Grassi all the way through his junior career I thought he had the right attitude for F1.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:19 pm 

Quite underwhelmed by this announcement. His record is pretty unspectacular and there are surely better options available. Unfortunately, money takes preference over talent yet again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:45 am 

Max Chilton does not have official website as of yet?!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 am 

j man wrote:
Quite underwhelmed by this announcement. His record is pretty unspectacular and there are surely better options available. Unfortunately, money takes preference over talent yet again.

It's not just money alone, it's how he is warmed in the team, his development skills, and skill he's shown in the short time in the car and simulator.

Now we don't know how good he will be with a full seat till he's given a shot, just like most drivers. Finishing 4th in GP2 is not to shabby though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:02 am 

Jomox wrote:
j man wrote:

It's not just money alone, it's how he is warmed in the team, his development skills, and skill he's shown in the short time in the car and simulator.

Now we don't know how good he will be with a full seat till he's given a shot, just like most drivers. Finishing 4th in GP2 is not to shabby though.

it is when the gp2 field this year has been relatively poor, and if his feed back and work in the simulator has been so good why not keep him as a reserve and test driver for a full season hone his skills, lets face it it is not his talent that has got him that seat, yes he may be good for technical feedback but so is most the drivers by the time they get to gp2. And being good at testing which he hasn't done that much to be honest shouldn't be enough to get you to the pinnacle of motor sport.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 am 

Oh if he proves me wrong i will be the first on here to eat humble pie, as i don't have anything against the kid personally but he hasn't looked f1 quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 am 

Another pay driver. To bad that the lower teams have to give seats to drivers that bring money but not the talent to go with it. Think about it, would any of the top teams even think about giving a driver like pic a ride, not a chance. If it wasn't for the money none of these drivers would get a ride. This has even infected teams like williams who would have finished higher up if they had been able to hire drivers on talent instead of money. How far up the grid is this problem going to go?