He's one of the best, but not THE best of those drivers 31%  31%  [ 18 ]
He's somewhere in the middle 41%  41%  [ 24 ]
He's one of the weakest of those names 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Too soon to tell 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 59
 Post subject: Perez
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
I'm wondering how you campare him to the other luminaries of this wave of drivers. Obviously there's debate on who constitutes the upper echelons of this generation, and whether they're even all the same generation, but for the purposes of the poll I'll suggest this lot:

di Resta
Hulk
Grosjean
Kobayashi
Maldonado
Ricciardo
Vergne

of Alice

Post subject: Re: Perez
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm 

In my opinion, better than Di Resta, Kobayashi, Ricciardo and Vergne.
Don't know how he compares to Grosjean, Maldonado or Hulkenberg.

Just an opinion though

Edit: Clicked the wrong f###ing button though! Meant to click among the best!!!

PF1s Pick 10 Competition
Wins: 2 (Malaysia and Singapore 2012)
2011 Rubens Barrichello Trophy Winner (17th)
2012 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)
2013 Lewis Hamilton Trophy Winner (4th)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm 

My order goes like this

Hulk
Grosjean
Maldonado
Perez
Kobayashi
di Resta
Ricciardo
Vergne

Thats how I see it... I don't see Perez as anything remarkable. Good, solid driver but I can see bigger things for Hulk, Grosjean and Maldo. I prefer Kobayashi to Perez, and although 3 podiums to 1 suggests he's better, I can't help but think Kobayashi was very unlucky to not score a couple more podiums in 2012. But we'll never know, and judging on the 3 podiums, and that he's now got the Macca drive, I'll dive Perez the benefit of the doubt in that one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
My order goes like this

Hulk
Grosjean
Maldonado
Perez
Kobayashi
di Resta
Ricciardo
Vergne

Thats how I see it... I don't see Perez as anything remarkable. Good, solid driver but I can see bigger things for Hulk, Grosjean and Maldo. I prefer Kobayashi to Perez, and although 3 podiums to 1 suggests he's better, I can't help but think Kobayashi was very unlucky to not score a couple more podiums in 2012. But we'll never know, and judging on the 3 podiums, and that he's now got the Macca drive, I'll dive Perez the benefit of the doubt in that one.

My own list in order of talent would be uncannily similar.

EDIT
In fact, identical. Was just wondering if I still had enough faith in di Resta to put him above Kobayashi.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:29 pm 

I think Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Grosjean and Ricciardo are the top of the class. I've never understood the KK hype, Vergne's racecraft isn't enough to outweigh his qualifying, and Perez has demonstrated that he can be quick at times within a race but with no consistency even from stint to stint most of the time, and certainly not race to race. Maldonado has the pace when he's got a good car, but his racecraft still shows a lot of immaturity. I know of someone else just like that who was able to get that sorted, but I don't have confidence that Pasta will do the same. For me, Hulk and RoGro have the greatest potential to be stars, and Di Resta might have a Jenson Button type rise to the top.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:30 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
I think Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Grosjean and Ricciardo are the top of the class. I've never understood the KK hype, Vergne's racecraft isn't enough to outweigh his qualifying, and Perez has demonstrated that he can be quick at times within a race but with no consistency even from stint to stint most of the time, and certainly not race to race. Maldonado has the pace when he's got a good car, but his racecraft still shows a lot of immaturity. I know of someone else just like that who was able to get that sorted, but I don't have confidence that Pasta will do the same. For me, Hulk and RoGro have the greatest potential to be stars, and Di Resta might have a Jenson Button type rise to the top.

That's an interesting thought... hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm 

In order I would say:

Hulk
Kobayashi
Perez
Grosjean
PDR
Maldonado
Ricciardo
Jev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

As ever the problem with the STR drivers is the difficulty of judging them. As someone said, they're either both brilliant, both average, or both rubbish. I was amazed to see Ricciardo in Mark Hughes' top 10 of the year.

As you suggest, Hulk and Grosjean seem the strongest to me too. Taking all factors into account they're almost in another league IMO. Maldonado's the only other of this lot who's demonstrated the same sort of speed, but as you say he can find it hard to sustain under all circumstances. di Resta is the biggest disappointment for me. I follow the lower categories fairly closely and something about him made me think he could be something very special, but he hasn't looked it since getting to F1.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm 

My order:

Hulk
Grosjean
Kobayashi
Perez
Maldonado
JEV
Di Resta
Ricciardo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm 

I think its Hulk is the best and after that its all very close between the others. I would probably put Perez as second best but i think a case could be made to put any diver in that position except maybe Kobayashi. I think what makes it so hard to judge is that the two quickest drivers in that list are the two that could be total liabilities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 pm 

For me...Hulk and Di Resta got almost everything out of their car and their strategy pretty consistently (they've both been screwed by some baffling strategy calls, but Paul more than Nico). RoGro, KK, Perez, Pasta, and Senna all wasted good cars more often than not.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:32 pm 

Where's the option of not yet? I think he's on his way of becoming the best of those drivers. I still see The Hulk being better overall, but Perez has more potential to improve more.
edit: Oh there's "Too soon to tell" or did you just add it? Didn't notice.

Last edited by froze on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:39 pm 

Until he started having regular brain farts at the end of the season I'd have put him top of that group, just ahead of Hulk and Grosjean.

That group in general are pretty hard to judge because they haven't been pitted against the 'benchmark drivers' in equal machinery this season (except for Grosjean) so it will be fascinating to see how Perez fares against Button.

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm 

IMO, Perez is somewhere in the middle. He is definitely better than Di Resta, Kobayashi & Ricciardo but IMO Hulkenburg and Grosjean are better than Perez. He is probably on par with Maldonado.

I'll defer on Vergne. I instinctively think he is better than the results in 2012 show but cannot be sure of his F1 abilities as yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm 

I think it's verry difficult to rate these guys, for sure Perez is better than Kobayshi and both the Toro Rosso drivers, but comparing him to Paul, Nico and Maldonado is harder.

IMO

Hulkenberg
Maldonado
Grosjean
Perez
DiResta
Ricciardo
Jev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm 

I would say Perez is one of the best youngsters now, certainly not the best. (closer to somewhere in the middle actually)
for me Hulkenberg is head and shoulders above the rest and i have been saying so since his entry in 2010 after looking back at his pre F1 and then looking more closely on his F1 career.
Ricciardo and Maldonado have something in them, specially Maldonado has that certain X factor and Senna-esque attitude. Grosjean is similar too.
Paul di Resta has had very decent results and as i rate Hulkenberg highly then i should rate him too but i just don't. no reason.
KK, Vergne, are decent but not brilliant. Kind of like Sutil.

I fell Grosjean has the potential to beat an aging Kimi, Maldonado to beat some as well (specially in qualifying). Hulk i expect to hold his own or even beat the current WDCs. Perez i am not so sure.
for me the rating is:

HULK
Grosjean
Maldonado/Ricciardo/Perez
Di Resta
Vergne
KK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 pm 

He's another Button. Not fast enough to out-qualify the best, but will be able to claim a few victories and plenty of points when he has enough experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:02 pm 

Hulkenburg
Grosjean
Maldonado
Perez
Ricciardo
KK
Di Resta
Vergne

Perez to me was/is vastly over hyped by his 3 podiums. They were very good drives, but I don't think he performed well enough outside those races and a handful of others.

Hulkenburg seems to be the best out of the lot. He has the speed and the consistency to not chuck it in the wall often. Unlike Maldonado and Grosjean. Those 3 seem to have the most talent.

Forza Alonso