planetf1.com
http://forum.planet-f1.com/

Vettel won against all odds?
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5732
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Ev0lutionz [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Vettel won against all odds?

Usually its the Australian winner that wins the WDC? anyone realize? Or the first race winner. He didnt win that in 2010 or 2012 and yet he won the WDC..

Author:  potter84 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Wtf... Is this what threads we are resorting to now trying to coax responses out of people. Yes vettel won without winning the first race. Just means McLaren were faster out the blocks than red bull but that they develop a hell of a lot better.

Author:  Herbalist [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

OMG OMG OMG SO VETTEL WAS THE UNDERDOG???!!!!

Author:  Balibari [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

EDIT

On second thoughts... no.

Author:  jammin78 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Balibari wrote:
EDIT

On second thoughts... no.

Image

EDIT: Damn you Balibari! I had that picture lined up for your comment. Grrrr!

Author:  F1yer [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Yes - he won despite his car not being able to challenge the Macs

Author:  ashley313 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Actually, the interesting stat there is that Jenson won the first and last race. Have a look at that, and think about what it means...

Author:  ManicOversteer [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Some previous winners of the Melbourne Grand Prix

2012: Button
2010: Button
2005: Fisichella
2003: Coulthard
1999: Irvine
1997: Coulthard

All of which did not win the championship that year.

Author:  RunningMan [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Not really. A more interesting "stat" is whoever wins the Hungarian GP very rarely goes on to take the championship that year. At least in recent times


Code:
Year                     Winner                           Champion
2012                     Hamilton                          Vettel
2011                     Button                            Vettel
2010                     Webber                           Vettel
2009                     Hamilton                          Button
2008                     Kovalainen                       Hamilton
2007                     Hamilton                          Raikkonen
2006                      Button                            Alonso



I'm sure someone can go back further, but those are the ones I can remember for certain off the top of my head.

Author:  Rocket_Red [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

ashley313 wrote:
Actually, the interesting stat there is that Jenson won the first and last race. Have a look at that, and think about what it means...


McLaren had the predominantly fastest car all season (Bar a slight blip around Silverstone) - Just a fast car is nothing if it keeps breaking

Shame really would've been even better with 3/4 going for the WDC

As they say - To finish 1st, first you have to finish

Author:  SnakeSVT2003 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Herbalist wrote:
OMG OMG OMG SO VETTEL WAS THE UNDERDOG???!!!!



I thought herbalists were supposed to be laid back? :D

Author:  ynot22 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

These misleading gotcha titles are getting old real fast. Just title your OP accurately and stop trying to bait people.

Author:  Johnston [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

I used to be that the leader of the WDC after something like 6 races won the WDC that year.

I think 2010 and 2012 have been he only recent exceptions to that rule.

Edit '07 is only the third occasion it didn't happen going back to '89 with that one.

Author:  ashley313 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Rocket_Red wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Actually, the interesting stat there is that Jenson won the first and last race. Have a look at that, and think about what it means...


McLaren had the predominantly fastest car all season (Bar a slight blip around Silverstone) - Just a fast car is nothing if it keeps breaking

Shame really would've been even better with 3/4 going for the WDC

As they say - To finish 1st, first you have to finish

Yeah, they need to have a look at why they are failing to win titles with strong cars, strong drivers, an impressive bench, and plenty of money. What are they tripping over?

Author:  SnakeSVT2003 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

ashley313 wrote:
Rocket_Red wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Actually, the interesting stat there is that Jenson won the first and last race. Have a look at that, and think about what it means...


McLaren had the predominantly fastest car all season (Bar a slight blip around Silverstone) - Just a fast car is nothing if it keeps breaking

Shame really would've been even better with 3/4 going for the WDC

As they say - To finish 1st, first you have to finish

Yeah, they need to have a look at why they are failing to win titles with strong cars, strong drivers, an impressive bench, and plenty of money. What are they tripping over?


Whitmarsh. :twisted:

Author:  crespo [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Having a car that can win you 4 in a row != "against all odds"

Author:  Laura23 [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

RunningMan wrote:
Not really. A more interesting "stat" is whoever wins the Hungarian GP very rarely goes on to take the championship that year. At least in recent times


Code:
Year                     Winner                           Champion
2012                     Hamilton                          Vettel
2011                     Button                            Vettel
2010                     Webber                           Vettel
2009                     Hamilton                          Button
2008                     Kovalainen                       Hamilton
2007                     Hamilton                          Raikkonen
2006                      Button                            Alonso



I'm sure someone can go back further, but those are the ones I can remember for certain off the top of my head.

2005 Raikkonen won the race, Alonso the title.
2003 Alonso won the race, Schumacher the title.
2000 Hakkinen the race, Schumacher the title.
1998 Schumacher race, Hakkinen title.
1995 Hill race, Schumacher title.
1993 Hill race, Prost title.

Then again we could probably do the same for any race and similar patterns would emerge at many.

Author:  MclarenBullet [ Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

This forum is getting worse, seriously what is this thread?

Author:  mds [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

This thread reminded me of an XKCD comic. It's about the American elections, but it's applicable here too :)

http://xkcd.com/1122/

Author:  froze [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Oz is just one race. What difference does it make? Why doesn't the Monaco winner win the WDC?

Author:  Teddy007 [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Herbalist wrote:
OMG OMG OMG SO VETTEL WAS THE UNDERDOG???!!!!

lol

This sums it up really, add more sarcasm though.

Author:  mcdo [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

mds wrote:
This thread reminded me of an XKCD comic. It's about the American elections, but it's applicable here too :)

http://xkcd.com/1122/

I have to laugh at the Obama one.

"No Democrat can win without Missouri"

I think there's a WAY more obvious statement that they elected not to use.

Author:  Zekenwolf [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Can someone please close this stupid, meaningless thread? It is setting up needless arguement.

Author:  diablof1 [ Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Vettel won against all odds?

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Usually its the Australian winner that wins the WDC? anyone realize? Or the first race winner. He didnt win that in 2010 or 2012 and yet he won the WDC..


You must be joking for sure. :uhoh:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/