planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BBC Racing Legends
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:
On BBC 2 (UK) Racing Legends

20:00 GMT Thursday 27th December 2012. 1/3

Sir Stirling Moss and Sir Patrick Stewart travel to Florence in a classic Mercedes to retrace the route of the Mille Miglia.

20:00 GMT Friday 28th December 2012. 2/3

Sir Jackie Stewart and James Martin tell the story of one of Britain’s greatest ever motor racing drivers, the pair take to the Alps in a classic supercar to re-trace the life of the Seventies icon.

TBA. 3/3

Colin McRae MBE payed tribute to by Sir Chris Hoy travels to the Sahara along the route of the Dakar Rally.

Posted on upcoming TV shows, but easy to miss.

can't wait for the second one about Colin :D

Last edited by rife_hypocricy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: BBC Racing Legends
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm 

I really must consider paying to get BBC back on the telly again. I want to see the one with Patrick Stewart! I always thought the young Moss and Stewart looked a lot alike.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 pm 

Fiki wrote:
I really must consider paying to get BBC back on the telly again. I want to see the one with Patrick Stewart! I always thought the young Moss and Stewart looked a lot alike.

Patrick Stewart? Are you sure? ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 pm 

TheGunner wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Make it so Sir Moss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:
TheGunner wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Make it so Sir Moss

Actually it would be "Make it so Sir Stirling" as a knight is addressed by appending the title to the first name. If Stirling Moss were a Lord it would be correct to address him as Lord Moss. I learned this from Alan Sugar who very much likes to be addressed properly :-P

Sorry for being a pedant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm 

Lojik wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:
TheGunner wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Make it so Sir Moss

Actually it would be "Make it so Sir Stirling" as a knight is addressed by appending the title to the first name. If Stirling Moss were a Lord it would be correct to address him as Lord Moss. I learned this from Alan Sugar who very much likes to be addressed properly :-P

Engage Sir Stirling :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 pm 

Lojik wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:
TheGunner wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Make it so Sir Moss

Thanks Sir Alan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

Don't forget it's on tonight, looks really good :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

I'm Karting! Thank you iplayer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:

It might not be available on iplayer, record it if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:15 pm 

I checked the website, should on iplayer shortly after.
Everything's coming up Milhouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 pm 

that was amazing.

I didn't know Moss gave Hawthorn the point to take the '58 championship, you wouldn't get that these days between Massa and Hamilton for example, or Vettel and Alonso.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm 

Would have liked it better if Partick Stewart's ego hadn't tried to take over and I didn't find Moss rather annoying. I know he's a legend but I've never warmed to the guy.

Much looking forward to the McRae one though.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Would have liked it better if Partick Stewart's ego hadn't tried to take over and I didn't find Moss rather annoying. I know he's a legend but I've never warmed to the guy.

Much looking forward to the McRae one though.

Looks like we will have to wait for McRae, the good news though is Jackie Stewart's one is tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 am 

As much as I admire Moss I simply can't agree with his views on driver safety. To claim that the sport was better in his day when several drivers per year were being killed is just preposterous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Couldn't you tell us a bit more? We don't have the BBC on cable anymore (at least not until I get a digital subscription), for some strange reason I'm not even allowed to watch TV-programmes on i-Player, as I live outside the UK. 70 years ago it was the Germans who forbade listening to the BBC, now it's the Brits themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 pm 

I'll be honest Fiki it lost me about 15 mins in. I just couldn't connect with Stewart or Moss at all. The car was beautiful though. But it wasn't for me I don't think. Someone here must be able to give a proper review for you though and check YT out... :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:17 pm 

Enjoyed last night's show with Stirling Moss even if Patrick Stewart was hamming it up in mega luvvie style. Not sure I will be able to watch tonight's with Jackie Stewart though as I absolutely cannot stand that enormous bellend James Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

I saw the first half an hour this morning, definitely plan to watch it all. Am I the only one who didn't mind Patrick Stewart? I just saw an adoring racing fan getting a treat of a lifetime. As for hamming it up.. he's Patrick Stewart! He... (said in most Shakespearean voice) ..is a classically trained aaactor.

I enjoyed what I saw. Will be watching Jackie later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm 

ON NOW!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:14 am 

Sevenfest wrote:
I saw the first half an hour this morning, definitely plan to watch it all. Am I the only one who didn't mind Patrick Stewart? I just saw an adoring racing fan getting a treat of a lifetime. As for hamming it up.. he's Patrick Stewart! He... (said in most Shakespearean voice) ..is a classically trained aaactor.

I enjoyed what I saw. Will be watching Jackie later.

No, I love Patrick Stewart. Yes he may come across a little pompous, but it's just how he is. You could see the joy he had being around Sir Stirling and driving Stirling's cars.

just watching the Jackie Stewart episode and I've git to say, it's nice hearing Jackie talk about racing for once not just the same old safety in f1 story we hear almost everytime he's on tv normally!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:42 am 

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jackie Stewart one, I also quite enjoyed Patrick Stewart's over-the-topness in his Moss one... I am not sure what to think about Mcrae, the guy was enthralling to watch but I never really warmed to him as a person and the fact that his death was found to be down to him trying to show off in his helicopter (and that he took a few innocent people with him) puts me off watching what will probably be an hour of hero-worship.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am 

j man wrote:
As much as I admire Moss I simply can't agree with his views on driver safety. To claim that the sport was better in his day when several drivers per year were being killed is just preposterous.
I think it isn't preposterous at all; the very fact you could get killed made for more fair play between drivers. When did the drivers start to require rule clarification after rule clarification? When their own safety had reached such heights some of them actively started to cause accidents to win. And that is chilling.
I think Moss is right when he said that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:

It might not be available on iplayer, record it if possible.

It's 2012, everything bar family guy and American dad is on iplayer... :proud:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:13 pm 

Fiki wrote:
j man wrote:
I think it isn't preposterous at all; the very fact you could get killed made for more fair play between drivers. When did the drivers start to require rule clarification after rule clarification? When their own safety had reached such heights some of them actively started to cause accidents to win. And that is chilling.
I think Moss is right when he said that.

I agree with you in that the recent improvements in safety have led to a deterioration in driving standards, and that the sort of tactics employed by the likes of Senna and Schumacher would have been unthinkable in Moss's era. However there is no question in my mind that I would rather see that than watch drivers getting killed on a regular basis. We should also bear in mind that the FIA have really been clamping down on cars hitting each other in recent years to ensure that the act of deliberately causing accidents in order to win becomes a thing of the past

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm 

Just watched the Stirling Moss episode and really enjoyed it, thought Patrick Stewart was also really good and showed genuine enthusiasm (didn't realise he was 72 8O Looking really fantastic for his age, as is Stirling).

There were a few notable things I didn't know about Moss’s racing career that the documentary showed so all good. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:16 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Jackie Stewart one, I also quite enjoyed Patrick Stewart's over-the-topness in his Moss one... I am not sure what to think about Mcrae, the guy was enthralling to watch but I never really warmed to him as a person and the fact that his death was found to be down to him trying to show off in his helicopter (and that he took a few innocent people with him), puts me off watching what will probably be an hour of hero-worship.

You just said what I didn't want to for fear of upsetting folk.

The last time I said something Neg about McRae it didn't go down well.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Jackie Stewart one, I also quite enjoyed Patrick Stewart's over-the-topness in his Moss one... I am not sure what to think about Mcrae, the guy was enthralling to watch but I never really warmed to him as a person and the fact that his death was found to be down to him trying to show off in his helicopter (and that he took a few innocent people with him), puts me off watching what will probably be an hour of hero-worship.

You just said what I didn't want to for fear of upsetting folk.

The last time I said something Neg about McRae it didn't go down well.

Yep I'm pretty much with you on that (even if it's a bit uncomfortable to say)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 pm 

Biffa wrote:
Just watched the Stirling Moss episode and really enjoyed it, thought Patrick Stewart was also really good and showed genuine enthusiasm (didn't realise he was 72 8O Looking really fantastic for his age, as is Stirling).

There were a few notable things I didn't know about Moss’s racing career that the documentary showed so all good. :thumbup:

You think that's old? Guess how old Christopher Lee is!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am 

Rachie_D wrote:
Biffa wrote:

You think that's old? Guess how old Christopher Lee is!

Yep he definitely looks brilliant for a 90? year old, but these days you only ever see him sitting down, I mean c'mon put some effort into it man! (only joking).

Thing is, if truth be told one of my ex's fancied Patrick Stewart so I did pay particular attention, sadly I've still got a fatter pickle than him and I'm nearly 40 years younger :frown:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Jackie Stewart one, I also quite enjoyed Patrick Stewart's over-the-topness in his Moss one... I am not sure what to think about Mcrae, the guy was enthralling to watch but I never really warmed to him as a person and the fact that his death was found to be down to him trying to show off in his helicopter (and that he took a few innocent people with him) puts me off watching what will probably be an hour of hero-worship.

Yes, what you do with your own family and adult friends is your own affair but he took away another kids life from another family too....I didn't feel good about that either. Awesome competitor but why oh why did he have to do that with the helicopter....

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am 

Loved the first two episodes but only one thing bothered me and that was James Martin pronunciation of the word Formula!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Loved the first two episodes but only one thing bothered me and that was James Martin pronunciation of the word Formula!

Not just me then. It drove me mad every time he said 'formlia'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:

Not just me then. It drove me mad every time he said 'formlia'

Such a silly thing to get worked up over lol but still felt like a knife in the heart every single time!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:44 am 

Yes it jarred every time he said it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am 

Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Couldn't you tell us a bit more? We don't have the BBC on cable anymore (at least not until I get a digital subscription), for some strange reason I'm not even allowed to watch TV-programmes on i-Player, as I live outside the UK. 70 years ago it was the Germans who forbade listening to the BBC, now it's the Brits themselves.

We have to pay for it, so only right that you should as well. You are welcome to listen to the World Service though ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 am 

nqwazi wrote:

Yes it jarred every time he said it

I really wish I hadn't read this before I saw it :lol:
Both great shows and I thought in both cases a great deal of respect was shown.. except maybe to Jody Scheckter - "Can yoo teech me how to drive lyke Jackie Stoowart pleash? He's da best!"

He didn't seem to mind though ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:48 am 

Tonight at 2200 hrs gmt on BBC 2. 3/3

Colin McRae MBE payed tribute to by Sir Chris Hoy travels to the Sahara along the route of the Dakar Rally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:56 pm 

Gutted, didn't realise I had missed the two that sounded most interesting to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm 

I really wish I could find it in me to watch the McRae one because he used to be as big a hero to me as Schumacher is. Then the details of that fatal helicopter crash emerged and I lost any respect I had for him as a man. Will always be a fantastic rally driver though, but I don't think I can stomach an hour of hero worshipping of him after what he recklessly did.

I'm sorry if I offend some by saying that btw, it's just my opinion of him now and I'd not want to force it on others and there is nothing wrong with still considering him your hero, he just isn't mine anymore.