planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 am 

Is anyone on here a fan, but doesn't have a driver or team representing their country? And why did you get into the sport in the first place, if that's the case? :)

I'm from the Philippines and I've been watching every race since 2004. It all started one summer when I was 11, I always loved anything that had to do with cars and I just happened to chance upon an F1 broadcast and I was pretty much hooked ever since. In my country, it's not a very typical sport to watch. I hardly know anyone who follows it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 am 

No driver to cheer for for us Americans either ;) Don't care though. My love for all things BMW Motorsport brought me to F1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 am 

Patiently waiting for a team to give Robert Wickens a chance. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wickens

Last edited by MikeV1987 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 am 

patiently waitting for this little 7 y/o guy to grow up

Sebastian Montoya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:12 am 

4carusgp wrote:
patiently waitting for this little 7 y/o guy to grow up

Sebastian Montoya

Now that's what i call the long game!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 am 

No Romanian F1 driver! :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 am 

Me. I'm from Indonesia. F1 is pretty famous here. The television rating is always good and the number of followers is comparable to any other sports (except football), I think.

Last edited by Adit N. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 am 

No Egyptians here either.

Doesn't matter though, i just love racing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 am 

I'm a kiwi so no drivers for me to support. But with the likes of Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme and Chris Amon in our past there's always that. I only got into F1 in 2010 when I was worried a pesky Aussie was going to take it out. Webber has grown on me now though and I feel kind of bad for how glad I was when vettel pipped him to the post.

NZ has a pretty strong motorsport pedigree though even if it's not all F1 so there's plenty of courage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 am 

:(

But it doesn't matter, it is still my favorite sport ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:04 am 

I too was a fan even before there was an Indian associated with F1 (1994)(I dont know of any inter team personel then). But today there is (was) a driver and a team in F1. So as long as Bernie is at the helm, never say never.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 am 

Belgian here, so no fellow countryman in the sport, but I have seen some Belgians drive. Most notable being Thierry Boutsen (Ickx was before my time) and Bertrand Gachot, who inadvertently gave his seat to Schumacher after an issue with a taxi driver in London... And ofcourse in recent history Jerome D'Ambrosio.

But really the passion for F1 was passed on by my dad, and I initially was inspired by Senna.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:29 am 

Another Belgian. I had hoped D'Ambrosio would get another chance at Lotus, but I can see why Grosjean retains the seat.

It was Jim Clark and later Jacky Ickx who drew me into the sport.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 am 
I'm from Greece and have been a motorsport enthusiast for some 20 odd years now. No Greek driver in F1 obviously. Here in Greece there is huge interest and love for all kinds of motorsport but sadly there is hardly no infastructure and of course no money or a plan to create a presence in the pinnacle of motorsport. We do have the Acropolis Rally though and it's one of the most successful events of the WRC calendar. In 2005 there was a Super Special Stage held in the Olympic Stadium and 70.000 people turned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVr-UZRyU88

If there was a Grand Prix in Greece I have no doubt in my mind that the crowd would have been 100.000+ even without a Greek driver on the grid. Never gonna happen of course in a country that has essentially been bankrupt since 2009... :-((

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 am 

From pakistan... No driver from here... and i doubt if there is any chance for a driver from Pakistan to join F1 in near or distant future!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 am 

I've got too much time on my hands at work today, so here is a list of all the countries in the world and those which have had an F1 race driver with the currently represented countries in red(only going by confirmed seats so far)
Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua and Barbuda

Argentina *************************(25)
Armenia
Australia ****************
Austria ****************
Azerbaijan
Bahamas, The
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus

Belgium ***********************(23)
Belize
Benin
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Botswana

Brazil *******************************(30)
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burma
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon

Canadan *************
Cape Verde
Central African Republic
Chad

Chile *
China
Colombia ***
Comoros
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Congo, Republic of the
Costa Rica
Cote d'Ivoire
Croatia
Cuba
Cyprus

Czech Republic *
Denmark ****
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
East Timor
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Estonia
Ethiopia
Fiji

Finland ********
France***********************************************************************(71)
Gabon
Gambia, The
Georgia

Germany**************************************************(50, 4 of which were East Germany)
Ghana
Greece
Grenada
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Holy See
Honduras
Hong Kong

Hungary *
Iceland
India **
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq

Ireland *****
Israel
Italy *****************************************************************************************************(101)
Jamaica
Japan ********************
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea, North
Korea, South
Kosovo
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya

Liechtenstein *
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macau
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi

Malaysia *
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Marshall Islands
Mauritania
Mauritius

Mexico******
Micronesia
Moldova

Monaco ***
Mongolia
Montenegro
Morocco
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal

Netherlands **************
Netherlands Antilles
New Zealand ********
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
North Korea
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Palau
Palestinian Territories
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines

Poland *
Portugal ****
Qatar
Romania

Russia *
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
San Marino
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia

South Africa ***********************(23)
South Korea
South Sudan

Spain*************
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland

Sweden *********
Switzerland ************************(24)
Syria
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania

Thailand *
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Tuvalu
Uganda
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom**********************************************************************************************************************************************************(158 including England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland)
United States of America ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************(155)
Uruguay ****
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu

Venezuela***
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia

Zimbabwe *****(as Rhodesia)

So if you are from a country that's even had a driver in F1 you're in a fairly small group overall, and having a driver in F1 at moment.... even smaller.

little bit of trivia for you all as well, although Rhodesia as a country no longer exists, there is a breed of dog - the Rhodesian Ridgeback - which is still being breed of which Mark Webber owns 2 :D

Edit: to add in a visual representation of the number of drivers from each country, with the top 10 countries given a total as well.

Last edited by minchy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am 

Technically my country hasn't been represented as far as I'm aware... I'm Welsh. My amalgamation of countries known as the United Kingdom has been represented, but I can't remember any Welsh drivers... though I know of a couple in lower categories.
We've had the Irish, the Scottish, and the English, get your act together Wales!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am 

jammin78 wrote:
Technically my country hasn't been represented as far as I'm aware... I'm Welsh. My amalgamation of countries known as the United Kingdom has been represented, but I can't remember any Welsh drivers... though I know of a couple in lower categories.
We've had the Irish, the Scottish, and the English, get your act together Wales!

Tom Pryce was proudly Welsh

Last edited by Gimax on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am 

jammin78 wrote:

But what you've got to remember is that you're passport will say 'British'. It's fine to be proud of where you come from, but it's just not a country as it used to be. It's like American's saying they're Texan, Californian, Alaskan etc but they're all still American.

But wasn't Tom Pryce Welsh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am 

jammin78 wrote:

I so wanted to be a F1 driver since I was 8 years old - I could've been the next Tom Pryce! (Although not to have lost my life the way he did - RIP)

Wasn't there rumours that Ayrton Senna wanted to buy Pembrey circuit? I can only imagine the interest in motorsport would have exploded in Wales had he done so...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:54 am 

@ Gimax and Minchy, yes it turns out Tom Pryce was Welsh, happy days :) I can take comfort in that.

@ Minchy - its not really the same as saying you're from Texas but being classed as American. Texas is a state... Wales is an actual country (apparently!). But I know what you mean, Wales isn't really considered independent, and is part of the country-collective. If I was a driver, I'd damn well deman to be classed as Welsh, not British. If they say "your passport says British" I'd demand that the England, Scotland and Wales football and rugby teams are all combined into a British team too :P

@ MistaVega23 - I'm the same, wanted to be an F1 driver and such, but I hadn't heard about Senna buying Pembrey circuit... imagine that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 pm 

Back around 98/99 F1 had huge popularity in Ireland. All due to the relative successes of Jordan and Eddie Irvine.
I remember F1-themed bars and nightclubs being opened and such.
But after 1999 it went back downhill.

It was extremely unpopular from around 2002/2003 until around 2009/2010. Still not very popular now but many people have gone back to watching it. Despite the view Ireland has over Britain, they still follow the British soccer teams. I think a lot of Irish that have gone back to F1 are similarly following Hamilton/Button & their 08/09 successes brought them back.

The exciting season just gone brought many Irish viewers back too.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
@ Gimax and Minchy, yes it turns out Tom Pryce was Welsh, happy days :) I can take comfort in that.

There is also Alan Rees, who drove for Cooper (Roy Winkelmann Racing) and Brabham in F1 in the mid '60s. He was also the AR in MARCH and ARROWS. Or how about Innes Ireland - born in England to Scottish parents but lived in Wales for most of his life!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

@ Minchy - its not really the same as saying you're from Texas but being classed as American. Texas is a state... Wales is an actual country (apparently!). But I know what you mean, Wales isn't really considered independent, and is part of the country-collective. If I was a driver, I'd damn well deman to be classed as Welsh, not British. If they say "your passport says British" I'd demand that the England, Scotland and Wales football and rugby teams are all combined into a British team too :P

@ MistaVega23 - I'm the same, wanted to be an F1 driver and such, but I hadn't heard about Senna buying Pembrey circuit... imagine that!

Texas is the worst state to use as an example in this case because it was a sovereign country which allowed itself to be annexed by the United States. They maintained the right to succed, or split into 5 different states. Of course at this point they'd be crazy to do either, but that doesn't mean that you don't see t-shirts and bumper stickers all over the state calling for succesion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 pm 

Canadian. Haven't had a driver from my country since the retirement of Jacques Vil. It will be nice to have a fellow Canadian to cheer for, but I follow F1 because I love the sport. Heck, even when Jacques was around, my favorite driver was Mika.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm 

Dominican Republic. Beat that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:03 pm 

Singapore... no driver. Sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:07 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Texas is the worst state to use as an example in this case because it was a sovereign country which allowed itself to be annexed by the United States. They maintained the right to succed, or split into 5 different states. Of course at this point they'd be crazy to do either, but that doesn't mean that you don't see t-shirts and bumper stickers all over the state calling for succesion.

Well damn... there's a bit of a Texas history for me, thats quite interesting, thanks RaggedMan!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:16 pm 

I'm English, but my grandmother is Czech. Part of my old band's logo was the Czech flag, and I've tended to support Czecho over the UK in a lot of international competitions. Ironically I still feel the exact same pain as England every World Cup, but at least we have less expectation on our shoulders :P

Apart from Tomas Enge's brief foray in the second Prost back in 2001, there's never been a Czech driver in F1. This disappoints me greatly :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 pm 

@minchy

Nice work. Would be interesting to know how many world champions each nation produced. I imagine Finland would have the highest driver to champion ratio?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm 

Well off the top of my head, Finland have Hakkinen, Raikkonen and Keke Rosberg making about 40% on Finnish drivers becoming champions! Looking good for Bottas then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:57 pm 

blowmydiffuser wrote:
@minchy

Nice work. Would be interesting to know how many world champions each nation produced. I imagine Finland would have the highest driver to champion ratio?

If you go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a list of WDCs by nationality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_drivers

As you suspected Finland has the best strike rate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 pm 

No danish drivers currently either. Doesn't matter to me, anything Formula 1 has always been about Ferrari and will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:39 pm 

Finland has produced more f1 champions than Italy, despite the Italians having over a hundred drivers have a go at it, not to mention being home to the most famous f1 team.
Quite impressive!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:11 pm 

blowmydiffuser wrote:
Finland has produced more f1 champions than Italy, despite the Italians having over a hundred drivers have a go at it, not to mention being home to the most famous f1 team.
Quite impressive!

But very few of those Italian drivers got to drive for Ferrari - in part because Enzo Ferrari was worried about the negative publicity and opposition from the Vatican if an Italian driver were to die at the wheel of a Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm 

Gimax wrote:
blowmydiffuser wrote:
@minchy

If you go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find a list of WDCs by nationality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_drivers

ffs, i tralled through past f1 seasons year by year this morning, why couldn't i just find that wiki page :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:19 pm 

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
No Egyptians here either.

Doesn't matter though, i just love racing

Egyptian here, :D i think we are just 20 who follow F1 in Egypt :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Yep, when it was an independent republic from 1836 until its annexation, the republic contained the current state, part of Oklahoma and Colorado, and most of New Mexico, so it was broken up because Washington didn't want a new state that was about 1/2 the size of the then United States.

But if even considered separately for this discussion, we could still claim historic representation with A.J. Foyt for sure.

Though personally, it doesn't matter to me that there aren't any current US drivers or teams. Maybe because I've been used to there not being a US presence, but its not something I even notice. Outside of A.J., Mark Donohue (my 1st 2 big motorsports heros), and then Mario and Michael Andretti, Phil Hill and Dan Gurney, I'd be hard pressed to name many without giving a lot of thought (like I typically forget about Danny Sullivan and Bobby Rahal being in F1, and just completely forget about most like Scott Speed altogether.)

Anyway, there are a few US-born drivers that I suspect would be highly skilled in anything they drove that I might like to see give F1 a real shot just to see how they would do, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily root for a US driver or team on the basis of nationality. If I didn't like the guy's personality or character or a team's drivers, I'd cheer just as much for their competition as I would if they were from anywhere else in the world.

That's why I always find myself on a different page when the argument comes up about needing to get US driver & team involvement in F1 in order to be of interest here. I have no doubt that is very important to a good many fans though, and certainly it would be an asset in building interest quickly. But at least for me, its way down on the list of things that might bring me to the TV or a GP. But I also suspect that if a good many really got into F1, that eventually it wouldn't matter to them and they would still remain very interested fans after US drivers or teams departed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

Gimax wrote:
blowmydiffuser wrote:
@minchy

Hence why I'm a big fan of the Finns. Also, being a Kiwi, quite fond of McLaren (although they do rather make themselves hard to like). Driver-wise, I hope Mitch Evans gets on the F1 grid soon.

And it looks like Austria, Australia and NZ are tied for 2nd place in the hit rate count - the former two having multiple WDCs for at least one driver.

I can well understand some excitement in waiting for Montoya Jnr (loved the first half of 2006 with Kimi and JPM at McLaren - my perfect supporters year). It was a shame JPM's WDC potential was never realised (although he really didn't help himself). My only reservation is do we REALLY need another Sebastien on the grid?

Tous Avec Jules #17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 pm 

rjca92 wrote:
I'm from the Philippines and I've been watching every race since 2004.

My Fiancee is from Philippines.
My country was represented and we have one point to our score :)
Easy task, or?