planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 pm 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
@ Gimax and Minchy, yes it turns out Tom Pryce was Welsh, happy days :) I can take comfort in that.

@ Minchy - its not really the same as saying you're from Texas but being classed as American. Texas is a state... Wales is an actual country (apparently!). But I know what you mean, Wales isn't really considered independent, and is part of the country-collective. If I was a driver, I'd damn well deman to be classed as Welsh, not British. If they say "your passport says British" I'd demand that the England, Scotland and Wales football and rugby teams are all combined into a British team too :P

@ MistaVega23 - I'm the same, wanted to be an F1 driver and such, but I hadn't heard about Senna buying Pembrey circuit... imagine that!

Texas is the worst state to use as an example in this case because it was a sovereign country which allowed itself to be annexed by the United States. They maintained the right to succed, or split into 5 different states. Of course at this point they'd be crazy to do either, but that doesn't mean that you don't see t-shirts and bumper stickers all over the state calling for succesion.

Yep, when it was an independent republic from 1836 until its annexation, the republic contained the current state, part of Oklahoma and Colorado, and most of New Mexico, so it was broken up because Washington didn't want a new state that was about 1/2 the size of the then United States.

But if even considered separately for this discussion, we could still claim historic representation with A.J. Foyt for sure.

Though personally, it doesn't matter to me that there aren't any current US drivers or teams. Maybe because I've been used to there not being a US presence, but its not something I even notice. Outside of A.J., Mark Donohue (my 1st 2 big motorsports heros), and then Mario and Michael Andretti, Phil Hill and Dan Gurney, I'd be hard pressed to name many without giving a lot of thought (like I typically forget about Danny Sullivan and Bobby Rahal being in F1, and just completely forget about most like Scott Speed altogether.)

Anyway, there are a few US-born drivers that I suspect would be highly skilled in anything they drove that I might like to see give F1 a real shot just to see how they would do, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily root for a US driver or team on the basis of nationality. If I didn't like the guy's personality or character or a team's drivers, I'd cheer just as much for their competition as I would if they were from anywhere else in the world.

That's why I always find myself on a different page when the argument comes up about needing to get US driver & team involvement in F1 in order to be of interest here. I have no doubt that is very important to a good many fans though, and certainly it would be an asset in building interest quickly. But at least for me, its way down on the list of things that might bring me to the TV or a GP. But I also suspect that if a good many really got into F1, that eventually it wouldn't matter to them and they would still remain very interested fans after US drivers or teams departed.

Not a Texan myself, but my dad was.

As for the rest of your post I agree. I don't think an American driver is a must for F1 to get traction here. I will admit though that it's something I'd like to see, but only it's someone who has a chance to make a decent showing even if it's a lower team.

They had an hour long live chat with Conor Daly on Jalopnik earlier today that was fairly interesting even though some go the questions were plain stupid. He seems to speak highly of all of the young American drivers trying to get into F1. BTW I can't believe I never knew that he is Darek Dalys son.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:59 am 

Another Kiwi here, go Evans, hope he makes it there some day, he has been looking very good this season and seems to have reasonable backing which is pretty important!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 am 

I'm so glad Ricciardo is in F1 at the moment, gives me hope for the future

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 am 

It really doesn't matter. I'm British (English), but always supported Schumi.

Having said that, the Finns are great drivers and love motor racing - so I'm not sure why there's not a Finnish Grand Prix?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 am 

LKS1 wrote:

Having said that, the Finns are great drivers and love motor racing - so I'm not sure why there's not a Finnish Grand Prix?

There is - the Rally Finland:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Technically my country hasn't been represented as far as I'm aware... I'm Welsh. My amalgamation of countries known as the United Kingdom has been represented, but I can't remember any Welsh drivers... though I know of a couple in lower categories.
We've had the Irish, the Scottish, and the English, get your act together Wales!

I'm half Welsh and my family comes from different spots in the UK, so I simply consider myself British.

Had never occurred to me that there was no Welsh driver though.

I support Schumi in any case.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:12 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Technically my country hasn't been represented as far as I'm aware... I'm Welsh. My amalgamation of countries known as the United Kingdom has been represented, but I can't remember any Welsh drivers... though I know of a couple in lower categories.
We've had the Irish, the Scottish, and the English, get your act together Wales!

I'm half Welsh and my family comes from different spots in the UK, so I simply consider myself British.

Turns out there have been a few Welsh drivers, so I rest better at night knowing this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:17 pm 

Not much action here in Ireland. I've been watching since the Italian GP '88. When Jordan came along in 1991 I was a pretty happy kid! In the late 90s, there was all sorts of talk about Ireland getting a GP in Mondello or on the streets of Dublin - as Jordan were doing pretty well.

Then Jordan stopped doing well and F1 has pretty much fallen off the radar for a lot of the newcomers who suddenly got on board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:56 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Turns out there have been a few Welsh drivers, so I rest better at night knowing this.

Race winners?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am 

Eva09 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Race winners?

Ummm... not as far as I know. Though I know of this Welsh driver who won races in F1 2012 on the PS3... jammin78 I think he was. He was alright.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:10 pm 

I dare someone to find a pro Maltese driver.

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:47 pm 

schumi7 wrote:

Well Lewis Hamilton demonstrated an MP4-26 in Malta on 9 December: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20121209/local/lewis-hamilton-in-malta.448858 - so I think we can assume he is pro-Maltese (even if he is anti-Croydon).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:23 pm 

4carusgp wrote:
patiently waitting for this little 7 y/o guy to grow up

Sebastian Montoya

That is one good combination!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

Gimax wrote:
LKS1 wrote:

There is - the Rally Finland:

Approaching 40 years. Makes me cringe to see a picture like that. Will probably break every bone in my body. Joy to be young.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:38 pm 

As a canadian is bugs me when drivers like pic and chilton (like we needed another brit) get rides when drivers like robert wickens can't get a ride. The only hope for wickens is he does well enough in dtm to get a test in the merc F1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

The US has some hopefuls in Conor Daly and Alexander Rossi.

Both are extremely talented and could be possible future F1 talents.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm 

OutKast wrote:

I'm not sure about Daly's future (even though he is talented), but Rossi has a good relationship with Caterham and has been rumoured for Caterham's race seat already in 2014 - so you may not have to suffer too long! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 pm 

Water wrote:
OutKast wrote:

I'm not sure about Daly's future (even though he is talented), but Rossi has a good relationship with Caterham and has been rumoured for Caterham's race seat already in 2014 - so you may not have to suffer too long! ;)

Daly has been working with Force India with straight line tests and what not. I would love to see both in F1 in 2014!

Also, Daly might go to Indycar for a year... Not sure, but I hope he sticks with F1.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 pm 

Obsessively huge raging F1 fanatic but there is no American Team or Driver in the sport currently and quite frankly both are long overdue!!!
With the right people and proper funding, I think an American F1 team could do astonishingly well. Just too ban that Peter didn't pick a better person to partner up with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 pm 

Gimax wrote:
schumi7 wrote:

Well Lewis Hamilton demonstrated an MP4-26 in Malta on 9 December: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20121209/local/lewis-hamilton-in-malta.448858 - so I think we can assume he is pro-Maltese (even if he is anti-Croydon).

Hahaha yeah I was there :P
I doubt I'll ever see a Maltese team or driver in F1. Kind of sad.

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:06 am 

schumi7 wrote:
Gimax wrote:
schumi7 wrote:

Hahaha yeah I was there :P
I doubt I'll ever see a Maltese team or driver in F1. Kind of sad.

Don't be so pessimistic - although a Maltese F1 team might be unlikely, Liechtenstein, with a population less than a tenth the size of Malta's has produced an F1 driver (Rikky von Opel).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 am 

Woah really? Ahh well, who knows :P

Forza Jules!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 am 

OutKast wrote:
Water wrote:
OutKast wrote:

Daly has been working with Force India with straight line tests and what not. I would love to see both in F1 in 2014!

Also, Daly might go to Indycar for a year... Not sure, but I hope he sticks with F1.

I saw that Daly was among those running Indycar tests in Sebring recently, so I'm also wondering if that's going to end being his future. Unfortunately, it is so difficult to get onto the F1 grid solely on skills (not saying his skills are at that level yet) and with the number of pay drivers as well, that I think a problem for getting an American driver on the grid is that they'll become impatient and enter another competitive circuit because there are lucrative alternatives. And putting an American driver on the grid as a pay driver would be a mistake because a pay driver is unlikely to produce the kind of results that would make an impact on US fans... If IndyCar had more events like the Alabama race with more room and elevation changes, it might be a place for guys like Daly to gain good experience, but unfortunately most IndyCar events are either ovals, or street processions on incredibly narrow courses that make Valencia or Monaco seem like high speed courses with lots of manuvering room.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:22 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Patiently waiting for a team to give Robert Wickens a chance. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wickens

me too :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:20 pm 

I'm from the Philippines too and I know like...5 or so people who watch F1(barely) and just one other guy who is as obsessed about it as I am! :)
It sucks not being able to chat with people about the sport I love most. Plus, we have Star Sports as the ONLY F1 broadcaster. Someone needs to sack Steve Slater. He doesn't know what he's saying half of the time.
Anyways, if you didn't know already, there's this Filipino GP2 driver Marlon Stockinger who one in Monaco a few months ago. He's now a junior driver for Lotus and he mentioned in an interview that next year there might be an F1 car showrun in the Philippines and he will be the driver. It'd be great if he could give F1 more exposure here in the Philippines. 8)