planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Is an open cockpit an essential element of F1?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 21 ]
No 62%  62%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 55
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:25 pm 

Open cockpits have been a part of F1 since the beginning, but as the poll question says, do you consider an open cockpit to be an essential element of what makes F1... well, F1?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:48 pm 

I have voted yes, not because I prefer it, but because it is part of the "formula". Without open cockpit and wheels it could no longer be F1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:31 pm 

It is vital. It lets you see and get a feel for the human being fighting for track position rather then just getting the perception of the vehicle they are piloting. The spectacle lost something when the cockpit sides were (rightly) raised in 1996 and would lose even more with a closed canopy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 pm 

Colinjb wrote:
It is vital. It lets you see and get a feel for the human being fighting for track position rather then just getting the perception of the vehicle they are piloting. The spectacle lost something when the cockpit sides were (rightly) raised in 1996 and would lose even more with a closed canopy.

With a closed cockpit, it would easily be possible to allow the regs to demand a slightly larger cockpit area. This would mean drivers who are a little bigger would have less of a disadvantage, but also allow room for multiple in car cameras. We could then have shots of the drivers arms, legs, feet etc. working away, seeing far more than we would as it stands. We see fantastic shots of the drivers in lots of closed cockpit racing series. It's brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 am 

Yes. Open cockpit, open wheel and very high speeds.

3 things that should not be compromised.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:06 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Colinjb wrote:

With a closed cockpit, it would easily be possible to allow the regs to demand a slightly larger cockpit area. This would mean drivers who are a little bigger would have less of a disadvantage, but also allow room for multiple in car cameras. We could then have shots of the drivers arms, legs, feet etc. working away, seeing far more than we would as it stands. We see fantastic shots of the drivers in lots of closed cockpit racing series. It's brilliant.

Back when I was following WRC back in the late 90s and early 2000s, I loved seeing the driver's eyes while they drove. I think it was the first Singapore race where you can kind of see the driver's eyes while they drove in F1. That to me made me feel like I was watching real people doing unreal things in a car. That would be more of a connection to the people inside the cockpits than seeing barely the top half of their helmets while they drive around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:38 am 

Yes, as there are many superior closed cockpit options for motorsport enthusiasts.
It would be the end of F1 in a very limited time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:14 am 

No,

It's open wheel single seater racing. Whatever the configuration of the cockpit is, it will still be open wheel and single seater. Formula can change, and do so regularly

PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 am 

Blackhander wrote:
No,

It's open wheel single seater racing. Whatever the configuration of the cockpit is, it will still be open wheel and single seater. Formula can change, and do so regularly

This!

It's OWR not an OCR. I would have said yes if we were voting for Motorcycle Series.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:21 am 

It would feel very strange after more than 66 years suddenly having close cockpits. I wouldn't say it is essential but it would feel less F1 for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:37 am 

Yes, an open cockpit is an essential element of Formula 1. Just as it is an essential element of many more formulae.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:09 am 

Would motorcycle racing still be motorcycle racing if they switched to four wheels in the name of safety?

No!

F1 ceases to be F1 f the wheels and drivers are covered.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:17 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
Would motorcycle racing still be motorcycle racing if they switched to four wheels in the name of safety?

No!

Safety is essential, I don't care what it would look like or would it still be Formula 1. Nobody wants drivers to get hurt or worse die. Remember #JB17, Senna, De Villota. Remember the face of Massa.

So people stop fudging be so insensitive as to prioritize semantics vs SAFETY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:45 am 

The motorcycle comparison has popped up a few times now under the guise of 'putting a steel cage around it' or 'having 4 wheels' but it's a false equivalency: in a bike stack the rider and the bike seperate, so it's only the momentum of the rider that they need to deal with. Still dangerous and not an ideal situation to be in but, depending on the circumstances, a lot safer than being along for the ride in almost 700kg of steel and carbon filled with all sorts of fluids that you don't want on you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:49 am 

t would be interesting to see how many people who are against closed cockpits, would immediately turn the sport off, or would you at least give it a go?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:51 am 

F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

Safety is essential, I don't care what it would look like or would it still be Formula 1. Nobody wants drivers to get hurt or worse die. Remember #JB17, Senna, De Villota. Remember the face of Massa.

People die every day falling down stairs. Should we eliminate stairs in the interest of safety?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:55 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

People die every day falling down stairs. Should we eliminate stairs in the interest of safety?

If you want a serious debate about this, stop posting rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 am 

HS Thompson wrote:

No!

In your opinion you should really add.

As for 4 wheeled motorcycles, that's a pathetic thing to write and is of no relevance. One, because they already exists, and two because it would not make a blind bit of difference to safety, some would actually point out it makes them more dangerous.

At least come up with something relevant.

If the FIA and more importantly, the teams are taking closed cockpits seriously, then who are we to disagree that it's at least worth considering, not simply to mock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:07 am 

Random thought I just had! A full canopy could significantly add to the show at the start of the race as well as increasing safety massively. Imagine this! Five minutes out from race start cars parked on the grid surrounded by crew and media as usual, canopy open to allow last minute work to the cars and prevent heat build up while the cars are off. 3 minutes out any interviews with drivers start to be finished up. 2 minutes out all drivers start to mount up, get in and strap on. 1 minute to race start ALL canopies must be sealed and locked! That's around a minute of canopies closing and grinding electric motor noises and drama. Basically the opening sequence of Top Gun complete with carrier launch and battle over the first two laps.

Would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:31 pm 

F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

But then you need to ask yourself when is it too much? keep in mind only one of the drivers you mentioned would have benefited from a closed canopy. Motorsport will always be dangerous regardless of the category, regardless of the formula, closed canopy or not.

Podiums: 11
2017 Championship Standing: Don't look, it's hideous!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:58 pm 

I voted no. Open cockpits are not an essential element in F1

What if the advent of a canopy allowed for the lowering of the cockpit sides which would make the driver more visible to spectators than they are at the moment ?

Would that then make canopies a more palatable proposition?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:51 pm 

While I wouldn't advocate drastic wholesale change, to quote Wikipedia: Formula One is the highest class of single-seat auto racing that is sanctioned by the FIA. The "formula", designated in the name, refers to a set of rules, to which all participants' cars must conform.

That's basically it.

The "formula" is and always has been a moving target. As long as it's the top of the tree in regards to FIA single seat motorsport it's F1. Closed cockpits/wheels, whatever. You or I may not like the changes, but it's still by definition F1.

For what it's worth, for me, closed cockpits feels like an evolutionary change that has been coming for a while and wouldn't look out of place in a family tree of F1 development over the years.

Last edited by wolfticket on Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:52 pm 

I'd be disappointed to see open cockpits go, but their going wouldn't fundamentally change the essence of F1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:16 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Have very high speeds ever been compromised?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:37 pm 

F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

Safety is not the most important thing in life. Both you and I compromise on safety many times a day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:39 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Have very high speeds ever been compromised?

Not really. F1 has always been able to lap faster than almost anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:46 pm 

Toby. wrote:
I'd be disappointed to see open cockpits go, but their going wouldn't fundamentally change the essence of F1.

Open wheels and open cockpits - the essence of F1. Real race cars don't have fenders, doors or a roof!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:16 pm 

I really dislike the one they keep showing on the merc - that idea is ridiculas - plz F1 don't use that

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:27 pm 

mmi16 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Open wheels and open cockpits - the essence of F1. Real race cars don't have fenders, doors or a roof!

Here are some cars that are clearly not real race cars then.

Ref Tommorowstarted.com

Ref Picaautos.com

Ref. wikimedia.org

Ref blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 pm 

specdecible wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

But then you need to ask yourself when is it too much? keep in mind only one of the drivers you mentioned would have benefited from a closed canopy. Motorsport will always be dangerous regardless of the category, regardless of the formula, closed canopy or not.

Absolutely wrong. All of the afromentioned drivers died from head concusion. In case of de Villota, she was lucky enough to get away without an eye, only to be found dead after a few months.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:09 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Ref Tommorowstarted.com

Ref Picaautos.com

Ref. wikimedia.org

But none of them are F1 cars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:57 pm 

moby wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

This one is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:19 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

This one is.

Not since 1950 when the current regs began.

I think I would be happy watching those though :] (as long as there was a good catch fence)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:21 pm 

I prefer it, but no, its not essential

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:35 pm 

No, it's not essential. The formula itself, and the overall appearance of F1 cars, has already changed dramatically since its inception, and I expect it to continue to change. It's possible that I will prefer the open cockpits, aesthetically, to whatever the closed design ends up being -- but I could certainly see ways that they can retain the overall current feel of the car (at least, to me) with a closed cockpit.

I don't like the ring design that's been floating about, and personally I'd prefer an entirely enclosed cockpit that contributes to the aerodynamics of the car, but whatever they end up going with it will still be F1. I'm sure they'll eventually come up with something that doesn't look bad, too, even if it takes a few false starts.

I actually don't particularly care how well the driver can be seen during the course of the race, but I realise that a great many people do care. I don't know how (if at all) it will/would effect viewership. Certainly it won't have any effect on me, but I can't say how many people would or wouldn't be upset by it. It seems like a fairly minor thing to me, but a minor difference to one person can be a major difference to someone else.

Blackhander wrote:
Random thought I just had! A full canopy could significantly add to the show at the start of the race as well as increasing safety massively. Imagine this! Five minutes out from race start cars parked on the grid surrounded by crew and media as usual, canopy open to allow last minute work to the cars and prevent heat build up while the cars are off. 3 minutes out any interviews with drivers start to be finished up. 2 minutes out all drivers start to mount up, get in and strap on. 1 minute to race start ALL canopies must be sealed and locked! That's around a minute of canopies closing and grinding electric motor noises and drama. Basically the opening sequence of Top Gun complete with carrier launch and battle over the first two laps.

Would be great.

That would be pretty cool.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 6 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:55 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Toby. wrote:

This one is.

Quite, plus my point was that real racing cars can have fenders, roofs and doors and still be good looking, be in exciting racing etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 pm 

moby wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

This one is.

I think I would be happy watching those though :] (as long as there was a good catch fence)

The W196 "streamliner" or "Monza" (to differentiate from the open wheel W196) was used in the F1 championship at the high speed tracks in '54 & '55 until Mercedes pulled out of racing after the Le Mans tragedy.

Edit to add the distinction of the stream lined car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
moby wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

This one is.

The W196 "streamliner" or "Monza" (to differentiate from the open wheel W196) was used in the F1 championship at the high speed tracks in '54 & '55 until Mercedes pulled out of racing after the Le Mans tragedy.

Edit to add the distinction of the stream lined car.

My apologies, I did not realise that actually raced in F1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 am 

Remmirath wrote:
Blackhander wrote:

Would be great.

That would be pretty cool.
After which it would, on a warm sunny day, rapidly become very hot indeed. At least the F-14 has an air conditioning system to keep its occupants cool. Heat would not in itself invalidate the idea of a canopy to my mind, but it is something to bear in mind when considering the problem.

The fundamental question still hasn't been answered, as far as I'm concerned. Why was F1 open-wheeled and open-cockpit (bar the Mercedes bodywork shown for '54-'55)? The answer must be available somewhere, and is not without importance. Because if open-cockpit wasn't deemed necessary, a number of drivers would not have been injured/killed. The same is true for open wheels.
If the reasoning behind making F1 "open" is still valid, then closing the cockpit would be a drastic alteration of the rules governing the sport.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

No!

That's an extreme example. You are giving us silly choice, so we think that improving safety means destroying the sport. You will never eliminate risk and FIA isn't expecting F1 to be completely safe but it doesn't mean we shouldn't improve safety. The goal is to reduce risk of serious injury or death.