planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Who benefits most from Hamilton's move to Mercedes?
Jenson Button 34%  34%  [ 46 ]
Sebastian Vettel 12%  12%  [ 16 ]
Fernando Alonso 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Kimi Raikkonen 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Sergio Perez 39%  39%  [ 52 ]
Nico Rosberg 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hamilton himself 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Other (please quote in post) 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 134
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:13 pm 

Better question- who will be most likely to vacuum up the points LH probably would have scored in a mclaren? JB, FA, SV, MW, SP, FM, LH himself, NR, one of the guys are Sauber/FI/Williams, or the group of drivers from those teams collectively? I think MW and FM will have higher average finishing positions than they did in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:16 pm 

That's the same question but worded differently.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:02 pm 

Not really. There are repercussions of his move beyond freeing up space at the front of the grid. Mind games, development, a new player in the midfield, all those who got opportunities to change seats because he moved, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Better question- who will be most likely to vacuum up the points LH probably would have scored in a mclaren? JB, FA, SV, MW, SP, FM, LH himself, NR, one of the guys are Sauber/FI/Williams, or the group of drivers from those teams collectively? I think MW and FM will have higher average finishing positions than they did in 2012.

Don't think so. If the Merc is a half decent car, Hamilton will finish in front of those you think they would benefit the most.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:24 pm 

Haribo wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Don't think so. If the Merc is a half decent car, Hamilton will finish in front of those you think they would benefit the most.

IF being the important word.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm 

MW and FM have been able to finish in front of LH when he was driving a GOOD car, so I don't see why having a half decent one will consistently put him ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Haribo wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

IF being the important word.

Everything, concerning events happening in the future starts with an if, because nothing is sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 pm 

I think that Hamilton will benefit A LOT from taking a bit more of a back seat in F1 for just a season (providing that Merc dont produce which they probably wont) every year of his career he's been under such exceptional scrutiny from the British media and the fans, he's had so much pressure on him since 2007 and everyone is always watching and waiting for him to make a mistake because it sells like gold. Hopefully he will be able to relax and enjoy F1 a lot more for a year where everything he says and does isnt micro analysed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 am 

Perez probably benefits the most. A chance in a top team is a very good opportunity

To a lesser extent, the "big boys" benefit more because, unless Merc pull out a good car at the 4th time of asking, which I doubt they will, Hamilton will be abit further down than he usually is, and that limits the amount of competition for the big places and prizes.

Rosberg benefits in a way. We know that Hamilton is a good and proven driver. This will be a test of Nico's talent.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
There are repercussions of his move beyond freeing up space at the front of the grid. Mind games, development, a new player in the midfield, all those who got opportunities to change seats because he moved, etc.

You are right and as I have said earlier in this thread, I included those repercussions in the poll question. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this one - to some extent it depends on the perspective - as mentioned in the Alonso / Perez example.

Quote:
Let us imagine that Perez won 50 or 60 more points in 2013 than he did in 2012 amd moved from 10th to 6th in the final points tally; at the same time, Alonso got 10 less points than he did in 2012 but because of the permutations - ie the way in which the points were distributed - actually won the WDC by a few points from Vettel. If that happened I would consider Alonso as the biggest beneficiary of Hamilton's move because he won some points that he might not have if Hamilton had remained at McLaren and those few were enough to give him the WDC. Perez's upward move would be good for him but to some extent less relevant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:43 pm 

I know you specified 'driver'...

But surely the F1 audience benefits the most from the new mixed up grid caused by Hamilton?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 am 

This question can only be answered after he 2013 season has finished, because in my view the answer will be the 2013 WDC. With the belief the Mclaren will be reliable next year, Hamilton with that car would have been a top contender and I also assume he won't be next year.

So I voted Vettel, as I suspect he will be the most likely to be in the fight for the title. Alonso and Raikkonen may also contend (but will need a better car from the get-go), Button and Perez too if the Mclaren is better than the RB9 (sorry, I rate them lower than SV/FA/KR).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 am 

mds wrote:
This question can only be answered after he 2013 season has finished, because in my view the answer will be the 2013 WDC.

Excellent answer.

Vettel would have been the favourite even without Himlton's move but now even more so I guess.

If Alonso wins the title, one reason could be that he had one less major contender (Hamilton) in front of him on the grid in most races in 2013.

Button has a good chance too and if he makes it, it will be because McLaren have improved reliability and Perez is not taking as many points off Button as Hamilton might have done.

Raikkonen could also be in contention if Lotus improve further and from his perspective he will have 3 other top drivers to fight with for the title instead of four.

Therefore, the one driver from the above four (or in the unlikely event, someone else) who wins the WDC would have benefitted most from Hamilton's move to Mercedes. We have yo wait and see who.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:49 pm 

In the meantime, I start to think it will be Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm 

Gutierrez because he has looked average at best in gp2 didn't really impress when put in the sauber this season, so to get a seat i would say he benefitted most

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm 

Button, he has now his precious number one status, he can't stop talking about it in every interview.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:07 pm 

Perez: moves in to a big-budget team , alongside a very experienced team-mate he can benefit from, and he should gain confidence and consistency.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 am 

Hamilton will benefit the most from his move as he will learn and experience something new.

The others will benefit or not from whatever choices they make for themselves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 pm 

Only one for sure : Perez...
But may be only till the first 2013 race.

If not, then Hamilton (considering he couldn't fight for the 2012 WDC with one of the 2 best cars, what could he expect from McLaren for next year ?).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 pm 

2013: Perez

2014 Beyond: Hamilton.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
I think that Hamilton will benefit A LOT from taking a bit more of a back seat in F1 for just a season (providing that Merc dont produce which they probably wont) every year of his career he's been under such exceptional scrutiny from the British media and the fans, he's had so much pressure on him since 2007 and everyone is always watching and waiting for him to make a mistake because it sells like gold. Hopefully he will be able to relax and enjoy F1 a lot more for a year where everything he says and does isnt micro analysed

Some will accuse me of taking a gherkin at Lewis, but he is so competitive that he posted telemetry to prove it wasn't him that was slow... may be Brawn would be a positive influence in many ways, but he didn't have it bad at McLaren for that matter. May be it will build character, but i fear for him genuinely. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, or so goes the saying.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

Some will accuse me of taking a gherkin at Lewis, but he is so competitive that he posted telemetry to prove it wasn't him that was slow... may be Brawn would be a positive influence in many ways, but he didn't have it bad at McLaren for that matter. May be it will build character, but i fear for him genuinely. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, or so goes the saying.

IMo Hamilton is in a win/ win situation at Mercedes. IF he is sucessfull, it will be regarded as his achievement. If not, it will be blamed on the car & team wich was not really that good the last few seasons. The pressure is on Mercedes, not Hamilton.
He can drive there without the pressure he had at McLaren where 2nd is already dissappointing.
I don't fear for him, he survived 17 years at McLaren, the high pressure to win & deliver there every race from the lower series onwards,not to talk about all his 6 years at F1, in the spotlight of the media

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 am 

Well, I wouldn't be so confident... he would do well to have a good escape clause, and a good lawyer for that matter. Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve and Kimi all are a good reason to be afraid... I don't know about you and how you feel about Michael, but fairy cakes hit the fan twice for him... so yes, I fear a little for what may become of his f1 career, and with good reason.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 am 

Perez, gets a top seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:27 am 

kingjamie wrote:
Perez, gets a top seat.

didn't help kov though. Doesn't always work out, i guess in reality we will know for sure a few races into next year who seems to be benefitting more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:52 am 

Yeah, we'll know in about a year.