planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spreading F1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:28 am 

Do you tell your friends about Formula 1 if they dont already know about it/watch it?

Or you don't bother explaining?

I live in the US and almost all of my friends dont know about F1, i tend to try to get my friends into F1. Some worked

And do you think the popularity of F1 would go up in the next few years?

Post subject: Re: Spreading F1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 am 

Ever person who has known my in the last 10 years (the length of time ive followed F1) knows about F1. Alot of my friends who have known me during that entire 10 year period have become F1 fans. Some more than others, but all of them have a driver or team they follow. Ive also gotten a friend who ive only known for a couple months into F1.

In high school i used to wear Ferrari wear EVERY day so many people who i dont know did know about F1. And my younger brother whos in High school right now also wears Ferrari wear EVERY day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 am 

I try to slip a Formula One analogy into every second sentence that spills out of my mouth. I became somewhat notorious for it when at school. I remember towards the end of my graduating year, all the Year 12 students had pictures on the wall in a certain classroom, of people they are similar to, or just of someone/something that reminds people of them. I was a picture of a Sebastian Vettel.

I know that majority of my friends don't care about Formula One, however I have one friend who I know can tolerate me talking about it, to a certain extent. So when something interesting happens, I try to tell him while thinking the entire time "God he must be getting annoyed by this drawn out storytelling of mine."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am 

I try. Some of my good friends humor me (99% of them are car guys anyway), but most probably think "oh no, not again" whenever the subject comes up. I do have a handful of friends that are avid fans though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:19 pm 

F1 is not very popular in my country. Most of my friends know that I am completely obsessed with Formula 1. I never got any of them to become a fan though. They're too busy being girls. But thanks to my constant and relentless yappin' they actually know that there's a thing called F1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:28 pm 

Living in the good ol' USA, it's tough to get anybody interested in a sport where you have to get up at the donkey crack of dawn to catch races and it's also on Sundays, so we're competing with any number of established professional sports on weekends.

People in this country love tailgating, eating excessively and drinking excessively while watching their favorite teams play. This is obviously tough for most at 5AM in the morning.

That's why I think it's important for us ambassadors of F1 to keep spreading the word and supporting local broadcasts, so that they do a better job of coverage and accessibility (i.e. - replays during prime time, etc.)

This is a shameless plug, but check out my blog entry about F1 Meals. It's a great way to make race viewing interesting and fun for non-F1 fans. The idea is to make it a positive experience that keeps people coming back!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am 

I was out tonight with some friends who were in town for the holidays and one of them told me there is a guy in his new office who is a huge Lotus F1 fan, wears a team hat around at work, has pics up in his cube, etc. I was like yay! and I told him to try to work "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" into a conversation with the guy and see if he notices :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 am 

It's not easy enjoying F1, people need to know a bit of the sport before understanding what's going on and which things are important, so it's easy to become a mockery if you try to indoctrinate somebody in F1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:21 pm 

If they ask me something about it, or something related comes up I'll usually give a 30 second explanation about it, but generally no.

I don't want them to try and explain football or boxing to me as I have net to no interest in them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm 

I have 2 other friends who are into Formula one, we went to Silverstone this year, but even then we don't talk about it much.

All my other mates are into Football (As am I) so our conversations are usually about that.

F1 may well be a popular sport in England, but up north here hardly anyone I know even slightly enjoys it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:44 pm 

i live in the usa, and I dont know anybody who knows f1 other than myself!, when I try to explain how great it is they just dont seem interested. even my parents laugh at me for watching, they say are you really watching cars driving around, they absoluteley dont get racing :-|

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm 

If someone asks me what I'm doing this weekend and I say there is a race on, unfortunately it is usually met with the 'watching paint dry' kind of comment, I get this a lot actually.

Then again I think that about football so each to their own I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:12 pm 

My friends from out of town only pay attention to f1 because its important to me, and the husband is an architect so he appreciates the technology involved. One of their other friends was out with us and doesn't know anything about f1 and said something like "I prefer to watch sports where athletic prowess is important". I hate that! I didn't go in to detail about the athleticism required to drive a formula 1 car, I just showed him some pics of half naked drivers and he was like "oh. Why are they all so ripped?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm 

I feel like I talk about it too much with my friends. they don't complain, but I find I'm being identified by this passion of mine.everyone thinks it's a very good conversation starter if they ask me about racing. in a few cases it does help, but mostly I find myself talking to people who wished they had not asked.

I have converted a few friends to fans, and this has ensured that I have never had to attend a race alone so far. (something I was prepared, and actually happy to do if I ever had to)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:15 pm 

there are a few places where the fact that I never miss a race becomes painfully obvious... my Twitter account (the fact that I only have a handful of followers notwithstanding), my regular comments to a community on facebook, and setting up my weekend schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm 

Hey I'm german and.... I dont know anyone else in real instrested in F1 either D: so I can only imagine how hard it must be in the US :P good to have found a formula 1 chat to talk about it.... but I can't stop talking about F1 anyway D:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:40 pm 

I live in a city (in Canada) of about 6500 people ten of whom I know to be F1 fans. That's about 0.0015% of the population and I am still amazed we have that many! there may be a few more that I don't know about and there may be a few others who could be "converted" (whaddya wanna call it?) but I don't fancy beating my head against the 99% brick wall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:33 pm 

I had an essay assignment in high school on something like teamwork etc

I wrote about F1 and got a 6 out of 6 on my assignment :D

Do any of you guys wear F1 shirts on a regular basis?

The only F1 related I wear are the Pirelli wristbands and a white redbull T-shirt ( no sponsors or anything, just the the two bulls in white )

Any of you wear shirts where they have tons of sponsors?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 pm 

<- is currently wearing an RBR hat ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm 

na :O.... I don't have any merchandize... but I want to start collecting those little car models... if I just can find one of Heinz Harald Frentzen 1999 for cheap :O

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm 

Sin wrote:
na :O.... I don't have any merchandize... but I want to start collecting those little car models... if I just can find one of Heinz Harald Frentzen 1999 for cheap :O

I collect PC F1 videogames.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:14 pm 

beyamei wrote:
F1 is not very popular in my country. Most of my friends know that I am completely obsessed with Formula 1. I never got any of them to become a fan though. They're too busy being girls. But thanks to my constant and relentless yappin' they actually know that there's a thing called F1.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 pm 

Never met a person here that doesn't know F1, so that part really isn't hard. While i do have couple of passionate F1 friends that i go to 1 or 2 races every year, i do have plenty friends that with i need to remind myself not to get too excited about F1 topic when it raises. Just so i don't notice myself blabbering about the topic for 1 hour and boring everybody. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am 

I try to but everyone I speak to seems to be a "Button" fan or are turning into one, I have enjoyed Lewis racing since he entered F1 so I keep my self to my self now as everyone seems to think moving to Mercedes is a bad idea and I just can't be bothered to argue (I am glad that he is moving as I though McLaren messed up a lot this year). I actually know someone who is a Vettel fan as well and she hates Lewis, I just agreed with her and everything she said as I didn't want to start an argument :lol:. I was thankful my friend went to Hockenheim with me earlier last year, was great fun. I had already been to Silverstone so wanted to try another place. The only thing I have noticed is that you can tell when people don't know the technical aspect side of it, they even struggle with some drivers names and don't know the old trick of telling by the drivers helmet (although they change them a lot now). I try to help them as much as I can but it's like talking to a brick wall. So yer I keep quiet about lewis now, it sucks but I just let the talking take place on the track and that has not been much the last three years :(.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 am 

My friends know I like F1 but they don't, hell they don't even like any sports so I don't even bother. It's like talking to a brick wall which has graffiti painted on it with the words "I don't give a fairy cakes".

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:28 am 

If somebody doesn't know much about F1 and is curious, I'll invite them round to watch it with some food and some beers but I won't try and explain it to them unless they ask. If they say "oh, it's just driving round in circles," I think it is already a lost cause. A football fan can't persuade me to love the sport even if I respect the talent of those involved.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am 

I find it hard to cram in an F1 conversation with anyone I know - the weird thing is I got together with the missus in October last year and she wasn't into F1 at all (just saw it as cars going around in circles etc etc etc :evil: )

I booked Silverstone this year for me and my dad but unfortunately my dad couldn't make it so I was 'obliged' to take the other half - thinking it was gonna be a weekend of moodswings, tantrums and general grumpiness (even worse with the weather forecast) - but soon as we got there she was loving it! I've got some videos of the race where you can hear her screaming as Webber was catching Alonso - she was louder than me!

Just goes to show you only have to watch it once to get the bug :] :] :]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 pm 

Most people I know fall into the same ignorant category of thinking F1 and CART/ChampCar is a bunch of redneck farmers going around in circles for 500 miles. In other words… BOOOORING!!!

My best friend strangely doesn't particularly care for racing, yet he is still very competitive in and loves racing RC Cars, which is precisely how we met 25 years ago. He does however understand that my obsession for F1 is very real and as strong as, if not just a bit more so than how I feel about my Steelers and how he feels about his Bears. He's a good sport and has stayed a bit longer after the occasional get together to watch it with me and he has gotten into it and a few times he's been on the edge of his seat with excitement, but he's just never aught the bug.

My brother on the other hand has never understood why I love it so much but he is real quick to show up at the track on practice nights, ready to jump into my Kart and try to hold on without wiping out. LOL he's always been a speed demon (not as much as myself) and I would imagine he would have become a race fan as I did at a very early age, but he's ALWAYS been a mama's boy who's more into chasing tail (ons of it) and crying to our Mom.

My wife doesn't care for it at all but kids watch parts of races with me for a little while but they become bored after a bit and then I'm on my own.

And I have a high end headset so I always have the volume blaring and on races broadcast during the day, my surround sound is turned up to the point it feels like I'm there!!!

My name is ROB, and I'm an F1-aholic!LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 am 

After I tell people I stopped watching the NFL because I became so turned off by it after several decades of it being my #1 interest, most people around here assume I'm crazy and an idiot because there is NOTHING more important than the NFL. (Though a few do admit they understand my reasons for being turned off, but still for them it is THE NFL and they can overlook things that wouldn't for someone who isn't helping their favorite team on the field.)

So I don't figure I'd have much success convincing them giving F1 a try is their time, unless they make a point of showing they're interested.

About all I've bothered to say is that it's the sport I'm most interested in, really enjoy watching, enjoyed even more being in attendance and want to make a point of attending more GP weekends. And I will wear a cap or a shirt occasionally.

And I have related a few "Kimi" moments. Mostly because a few were kind of universal, like the 2 Abu Dhabi radio transmissions that have been made into popular shirts.

I pointed out to a couple people that they are very good if you understand the context... but even without the context... they are almost perfect for any married man.... "Leave Me Alone I Know What I'm Doing" could likely be heard during any home project.... and "Yes, yes, I'm doing all that, you don't need to remind me every second"... well, again, a pretty fitting reply to a pestering wife.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 am 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:
After I tell people I stopped watching the NFL because I became so turned off by it after several decades of it being my #1 interest, most people around here assume I'm crazy and an idiot because there is NOTHING more important than the NFL. (Though a few do admit they understand my reasons for being turned off, but still for them it is THE NFL and they can overlook things that wouldn't for someone who isn't helping their favorite team on the field.)

So I don't figure I'd have much success convincing them giving F1 a try is their time, unless they make a point of showing they're interested.

About all I've bothered to say is that it's the sport I'm most interested in, really enjoy watching, enjoyed even more being in attendance and want to make a point of attending more GP weekends. And I will wear a cap or a shirt occasionally.

And I have related a few "Kimi" moments. Mostly because a few were kind of universal, like the 2 Abu Dhabi radio transmissions that have been made into popular shirts.

I pointed out to a couple people that they are very good if you understand the context... but even without the context... they are almost perfect for any married man.... "Leave Me Alone I Know What I'm Doing" could likely be heard during any home project.... and "Yes, yes, I'm doing all that, you don't need to remind me every second"... well, again, a pretty fitting reply to a pestering wife.

Next time the wife pesters you, just take off your shirt and reveal the Kimi T-shirt underneath. :lol:

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 am 

Z3RoadstarTXF1 wrote:

Reminds me of the the saying "If a man says he'll do something, he will - you don't need to remind him every month!" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 am 

I tried once getting someone into F1..
Did not work. Made him sit through a race and it didn't excite him. They find the spectacle boring : (

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:35 am 

Maky wrote:
I tried once getting someone into F1..
Did not work. Made him sit through a race and it didn't excite him. They find the spectacle boring : (

LOL

Did he fall asleep? or were you kept trying to explain things to him?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 am 

The majority of the people I know find F1 boring, "driving around in circles" as others have said. But I can't really blame them; if I were introduced to F1 today I would also find the race boring, but that's simply because of lack of context. If you start a book, a movie or a TV series in the middle you won't find it nearly as interesting because you don't know the persons and locations and background stories, dramas etc etc etc. Simple, really.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 am 

No, I try not to talk about F1 while at work for instance. Everybody knows that I am following the sport but they are not really interested about it ("boring" etc.). I am not going to force them anyway. Sometimes someone will ask me about something F1 related and I am glad that I can answer but otherwise...

BTW. All my work colleagues are girls which makes things even trickier I guess ;) . Thankfully they don't make me listen about volleyball so I think it is a fair deal :lol:.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:33 pm 

beyamei wrote:

Yeah getting men into it is hard enough, not to mention girls. Although I'm assuming you are one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am 

metamorphomisk wrote:
Do any of you guys wear F1 shirts on a regular basis?

The only F1 related I wear are the Pirelli wristbands and a white redbull T-shirt ( no sponsors or anything, just the the two bulls in white )

Any of you wear shirts where they have tons of sponsors?

When it's sunny (those great 5 minutes every year) I wear a baseball cap. McLaren one, so it just says "Vodafone" on the front.

I also wear other McLaren tops, all of which have Vodafone on in huge letters on the back.

Actually, something I really dislike about McLaren team wear, other than a tiny McLaren swoosh logo, they don't say McLaren on them recently. Can you imagine wearing a Man Utd top without a Man Utd logo, or equivalent for pretty much any team in any sport? Very odd.

Anyway, mostly just the cap I wear, sometimes the jumper.