planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:41 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pkkzg/Formula_1_2012_2012_What_a_Year/

Nice review of the year to watch but I swear an editor at the BBC is in love with Muse because every F1 show there is at least one Muse track and this has about 4 or 5 they've packed in to 45 mins lol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

And Tron tracks by Daft Punk... I like them though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:55 pm 

This happened a while ago but with Biffy Clyro. Maybe someone at the BBC is getting a kickback from their publishers... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:00 pm 

A few years back the band Embrace was used a lot (football and emotional stuff) and said they must just have a fan at the Beeb! It did lead to them being asked to do the official England football song for one tournament

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm 

I thought everyone loved Muse?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 pm 

What's wrong with Muse?

I enjoyed the show, more than skys equivalent anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 pm 

Biffa wrote:

I don't. One of the most overrated bands on the planet. The Paul Di Resta of music.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Biffa wrote:

I don't. One of the most overrated bands on the planet. The Paul Di Resta of music.

:lol: Meow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Biffa wrote:

WHAT!

Muse are like the Raikkonen of music!

I love Muse <3. Where the hell is a heart smilie when you need one?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am 

Just to clear something up, I don't love Kimi!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 am 

f1madman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Biffa wrote:

WHAT!

I love Muse
<3. Where the hell is a heart smilie when you need one?

I predict this quote will come back and bite you in the donkey next year :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:22 am 

Muse are awesome.

BBC seem to have something with absolutely bumming certain artists in certain shows.

In the Top Gear episode where they create their own camper vans they used three songs from Kasabian from their last album.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 am 

Biffa wrote:
f1madman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Biffa wrote:

WHAT!

I love Muse
<3. Where the hell is a heart smilie when you need one?

I predict this quote will come back and bite you in the donkey next year :lol:

How so? Kimi's going to get whupped by Vettle, surely?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:31 am 

It has to do with buying the rights to the music. Its cheaper to make a deal to use a song or album repeatedly than buy different stuff - so make the best use of what you've already purchased. Some friends sold a song to a production company, for example, and it includes the right to use it in anything they produce, not just for the one show they put it in initially.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 am 

Muse. Meh... The worse sort of band, one I don't particularly like but don't hate enough to start enjoying them in an ironic way.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:09 am 

I don't like Muse either, but that's just an opinion from hearing them on too many occasions.

Kimi, the iceman.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:26 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Muse. Meh... The worse sort of band, one I don't particularly like but don't hate enough to start enjoying them in an ironic way.

Cool. Relevant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Biffa wrote:

Well that's that then, stop talking about them immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:32 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
It has to do with buying the rights to the music. Its cheaper to make a deal to use a song or album repeatedly than buy different stuff - so make the best use of what you've already purchased. Some friends sold a song to a production company, for example, and it includes the right to use it in anything they produce, not just for the one show they put it in initially.

Actually, the deal the BBC has with record labels means it wouldn't make a difference what they played. Unlike say ITV or Sky, who I believe both pay on individual plays or contracts, the BBC are effectively free to play what they like, as often as they like.

A good explanation is here in Charlie Brooker's explanation of the cost of making a TV programme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrmaeiZ4RE#t=06m03s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm 

The BBC's deal only covers music/artists represented by the PRS as far as I know, and only for domestic broadcast. If its a program that is broadcast in other countries, as I understand the F1 programming is, it is not included. Same with anything that is sold later, like DVD's.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:50 pm 

Anyway to play this outside of UK?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 pm 

F1nsider wrote:

Not unless someone puts it on YT nope.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:45 pm 

F1nsider wrote:

There are number of ways, but i will probably get banned if I told you ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:21 pm 

You should check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ipmfPGFWM

2012 pre-season video my OH made for Caterham (lucky bugger got to go to the testing in Jerez and meet loads of F1 ppl including Button - jealous)

But, staying sort of on topic, it features Japanese Popstars (some band) and the second track on the video (starts at 2:40) is made using engine sounds from the Caterham, pretty cool. Not really my style of music but thought I'd post about it as it's kind of music & F1 related!

(also hi, long time lurker first time poster - since the forums got rehashed!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:24 am 

I love Muse, my favourite band since 2003. Woop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

Taken a different aspect to Coldplay, but just like Coldplay they are merely a poor man's Radiohead.

Radiohead will in years to come be ranked a lot higher than both. They'll enjoy a similar rediscovery for future generations as the Velvet Underground and Nick Drake, only Radiohead were huge the first time around. Critics know that now, that's why they're so highly acclaimed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Taken a different aspect to Coldplay, but just like Coldplay they are merely a poor man's Radiohead.

Radiohead will in years to come be ranked a lot higher than both. They'll enjoy a similar rediscovery for future generations as the Velvet Underground and Nick Drake, only Radiohead were huge the first time around. Critics know that now, that's why they're so highly acclaimed.

Disagree...the comparisons have been there from the start but neither Coldplay or Muse are anything like Radiohead...nor have they ever tried to be. Coldplay are closer to U2, Muse sit between Queen and Rage Against The Machine...the Radiohead comparisons were just lazy journalism in 1999 that has stuck with both acts. I should know, they're three of my favourite bands...and I wouldn't draw a single point of comparison between any of them.

I don't know that Radiohead will gain respect over the years, because they already have maximum respect from most journalists and fans. Like most acts though, they peaked at the beginning of their career...Pablo, Bends and OK C were (and still are) leagues ahead of almost anything else out there...and I consider OK Computer to be the best album of all time (not necessarily my favourite, but the best).
:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:27 pm 

I feel like I'm reading a Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel and Senna/Prost/Schumacher argument x(

I saw Muse live a couple of years ago (got tix for bf for vday) and enjoyed the show. One of the best live performances I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Disagree...the comparisons have been there from the start but neither Coldplay or Muse are anything like Radiohead...nor have they ever tried to be. Coldplay are closer to U2, Muse sit between Queen and Rage Against The Machine...the Radiohead comparisons were just lazy journalism in 1999 that has stuck with both acts. I should know, they're three of my favourite bands...and I wouldn't draw a single point of comparison between any of them.

I don't know that Radiohead will gain respect over the years, because they already have maximum respect from most journalists and fans. Like most acts though, they peaked at the beginning of their career...Pablo, Bends and OK C were (and still are) leagues ahead of almost anything else out there...and I consider OK Computer to be the best album of all time (not necessarily my favourite, but the best).

While I agree it's often lazy journalism, and there's only flimsy links between all three, Radiohead are definitely the best. Understated, the Vettel of music. ;)

It's clear you like their more 'commercial, radio-friendly' era though. While In Rainbows and The King Of Limbs were both hits, I dispute anyone who says Amnesia, Kid A or Hail to The Thief are that much inferior to OK Computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:26 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

While I agree it's often lazy journalism, and there's only flimsy links between all three, Radiohead are definitely the best. Understated, the Vettel of music. ;)

It's clear you like their more 'commercial, radio-friendly' era though. While In Rainbows and The King Of Limbs were both hits, I dispute anyone who says Amnesia, Kid A or Hail to The Thief are that much inferior to OK Computer.

I wouldn't consider Radiohead a Vettel...more of a Senna if you ask me. :P

Kid A was a masterpiece, but I can't help feeling they've never quite got back to that level since then... Obviously there have been moments on every album, but in terms of pure consistency their earlier work comes out on top for me.

What ranks OK Computer above the rest personally is simply the number of different styles, moments, and magical touches that are scattered throughout...their other albums are fantastic but sometimes lack the variation from song to song that OK Computer had.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:02 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Did you hear about the guy who was in V Fib? Apparently Radiohead pushed him over the edge. God rest his soul.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:35 am 

Anyone youtubed this yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm 

I love Muse. My favourite band :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm 

Arguing about taste on music. Classic.

Personally don't really have anything against them. I don't bluck my ears when they are on, but don't really go my ways to find their music either.
How about Incognito, Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies and the acid jazz scene in London, any fans, no? Thought so. :D
I got a say i have noticed Daft Punk and Justice being some kind of favorite on car commercials and many car shows (like example Top Gear). Not that i mind as i love both bands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 pm 

tissot wrote:
Arguing about taste on music. Classic.

Personally don't really have anything against them. I don't bluck my ears when they are on, but don't really go my ways to find their music either.
How about Incognito, Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies and the acid jazz scene in London, any fans, no? Thought so. :D
I got a say i have noticed Daft Punk and Justice being some kind of favorite on car commercials and many car shows (like example Top Gear). Not that i mind as i love both bands.

Actually, yes. ;) My music collection covers almost everything, and I love a bit of 'Don't You Worry Bout A Thing' or 'You Are The Universe' on a summer's afternoon! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

Oddly enough I consider Radiohead vastly inferior to Muse and just don't rate Radiohead that highly, despite Street Spirit being among my favourite songs. Can't get into Radiohead no matter how much I try, I think the high ratings from the majority of the known world made me expect too much of the albums when I listened to them, and ended up disappointed. I don't really get the comparisons beyond Muse's first album. Otherwise, to say they're a poor man's Radiohead just doesn't make sense to me really, I don't see it.