planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 pm 

Only to be used in the specific zones etc. By the way, this year as i'm in 2013 already!

Advantages, allowing the drivers to concentrate more on the driving itself instead of remembering where to open the DRS? Maybe not so much of the remembering but after practice round and round the track, i believe every driver should know when to open it during qualy, but safety like Kimi said?

Disadvantages? To RBR as they run more downforce than the rest?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:49 pm 

Advantages: Perhaps an even closer qualifying than 2012. The Ferrari will be much better this year in quali because of the change in rule. Gary Anderson explained how the DRS system in quali affected Ferrari's balance.

Disadvantages: With DRS zones for quali, we are taking away from the driver, that ability and intuition where he can gain a tenth or two by using the DRS in an unconventional area of the track

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 pm 

I agree it may take away from the driver being brave with the DRS, apart from that perhaps disadvantage Red Bull from making more use of their extra downforce in qualifying.

I think i'd prefer to have seen the DRS being used at all times in qualifying because of the drivers being more balls out aspect of it

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 1st

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm 

I personally loved the era of quali cars and engines, tyres that would last about 4 laps and running on fumes. Times change as that's too costly now.

Changes to DRS in qualifying are a shame too, but everyone has the same rule book to work from and exploit. I can't wait to see how the front runners exploit the 2013 rules. Best part of pre-season, testing and the first few flyaways I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:00 am 

Cant wait for this change. The RedBulls and their Newey DRS tricks gained so much more per lap than their competitors in practice and qualifying, I'm looking for qualy battles to be tighter and more exciting next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:26 am 

I like to see 1 more rule for DRS, that is the limited number of DRS deployment for each driver per race (let's say, 10 or 20 times maximum per race).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:20 am 

It's a step in a good direction. Next one, hopefully, in 2014 - DRS banned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 am 

At least F1 2013 will be easier :]

Seriously though, I hope DRS eventually gets phased out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 am 

stendec wrote:
Advantages: Perhaps an even closer qualifying than 2012. The Ferrari will be much better this year in quali because of the change in rule. Gary Anderson explained how the DRS system in quali affected Ferrari's balance.

Disadvantages: With DRS zones for quali, we are taking away from the driver, that ability and intuition where he can gain a tenth or two by using the DRS in an unconventional area of the track

I would argue that would come down to the car more than the driver but I suppose it would vary from circuit to circuit.
Agree with your advantage no doubt. Looking forward to 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:27 am 

stendec wrote:

I completely agree with this. I think the redbulls and the maccas will lose out and ferrari and lotus will be a lot more closer in quali.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:43 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:

You realized it too? :lol: I keep spinning out on tracks where i've no idea when and where to open the DRS when i drive them the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:10 pm 

I'll be interested to see how it impacts Red Bull's (and in particular Vettel's) qualifying performance. It's no secret that, in 2011 in particular, the Red Bulls were the only cars able to open their DRS in a number of corners because of their far superior rear downforce. It's worth noting that the team struggled in qualifying in the early part of 2012 while they were still getting to grips with the new exhaust configuration.

I think banning DRS in qualifying is a good move. I never really saw any good reason why a device introduced solely as an overtaking aid should be allowed in qualifying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
I personally loved the era of quali cars and engines, tyres that would last about 4 laps and running on fumes. Times change as that's too costly now.

Changes to DRS in qualifying are a shame too, but everyone has the same rule book to work from and exploit. I can't wait to see how the front runners exploit the 2013 rules. Best part of pre-season, testing and the first few flyaways I think.

:thumbup: This! Also, wasn't there something about RBR not being affected by this as much as one of their rival?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm 

I expect Webber to be closer to Vettel at many tracks, and possibly in front at other venues where Vettel pipped him at the post in 2012.

Mark was always a little later on the DRS coming out of certain corners in qualifying, so I expect the RBR's to be closer together on pace. With this in mind, I also expect them both to be closer to the pack overall in qualifying.

Guess I am thinking along similar lines as 'j man' with this one.

End of the day, the goalposts have moved for everyone, and we'll still be seeing the cars at their fastest in Q3 no matter how often they open their DRS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:

You realized it too? :lol: I keep spinning out on tracks where i've no idea when and where to open the DRS when i drive them the first time.

I remember playing 2011 and crashing my Force India quite a few times on the 130R at Suzuka, big crashes too lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 am 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:

I remember playing 2011 and crashing my Force India quite a few times on the 130R at Suzuka, big crashes too lol

never bought '11 as it never hit the price I would consider... with '12 there were other issues at launch, is it better now?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:22 am 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:

The AI would always crash at Eau Rouge in practice and qualifying trying to use the DRS and spinning back onto the circuit to collect you. It always annoyed me to see the AI with the DRS open through Turkey turn 8, how is that possible!!??!??!?!

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 am 

It'll be interesting for sure. I don't really care for DRS anyway but with the "safety" rules I guess it's needed. I would like to see a limited number of DRS deployments per race with a bigger gap. Say 20 deployments per race and within 2 seconds instead of 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:01 pm 

Shadowcast wrote:
Cant wait for this change. The RedBulls and their Newey DRS tricks gained so much more per lap than their competitors in practice and qualifying, I'm looking for qualy battles to be tighter and more exciting next year.

Qualifying hasn't been exciting since the 90s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:32 pm 

boing007 wrote:
Shadowcast wrote:

Hell, I even enjoyed the one hour, 12 laps format. While it was often boring for the first 20-40 minutes, at least it doesn't feel as artificial as now.

Loved quali engines, tyres etc. If costs weren't an issue it would be awesome to see them back. There may have been a greater disparity between the front, mid and rear pack in quali compared to the race then, this was about making the fastest cars within the rules, it still is.

Limited DRS in quali takes some ballsy driving away from the drivers, but they all have the same rules, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Who knows what the cars will offer? IRBR could be further ahead again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm 

boing007 wrote:
Shadowcast wrote:

Was sitting around for 45 minutes, watching Minardis and Arrows tour round the track really THAT entertaining?!

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:

You know what that was my first thought.

However with my Michael Schumacher obsession I will probably continued to play F1 2012 or some older game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 pm 

This change will most likely make race pace and quali pace comparable and thus reduce overtaking as there will be no quali spec cars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 pm 

With any luck it'll stop people going overboard on drs development as it simply won't be worth it anymore. Things like double drs will be virtually pointless now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:44 am 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:

I've lost so many front wings on that game through DRS that i'm surprised I had any money in my wealth stat.

I liked the idea of limited uses of DRS in a race, maybe 3-5. overtaking normally is then encouraged, but DRS is available if really needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 am 

I didnt really have problem with the existing quali. But this would mean less mistakes from young (and stupid at times) drivers being too enthusiastic about opening DRS flap and spinning which have ended up spoiling the fast laps and in the end entire qualifying session of multiple drivers last season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 am 

I totally agree with this rule for a simple reason:
DRS is a kind of "artificial" aid used only for overtaking within the designated zones, so thereĀ“s no logical reason why it should be allowed to be used everywhere in practices and quali, when you are not allowed to use it everywhere during the race.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 am 

stendec wrote:

thisy