It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 pm 

Going by his own bio, which says he's paraplegic. :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:55 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Going by his own bio, which says he's paraplegic. :dunno:

From an interview talking about his life in a wheelchair:

In March 1986 Frank Williams was returning from the Paul Ricard Circuit in France when he had a serious accident, with his car rolling over six or seven times, leading to his sustaining a spinal cord injury and becoming a C6/7 complete quadriplegic. ............
Full text here: http://suchgoodsports.co.uk/2012/01/09/ ... heelchair/

He's not a para (but I am). Without a doubt he is a remarkable man to have achieved so much as a quad. I just wish he'd made better driver decisions over the years, but that's a topic that's already been done to death.

I may be wrong about - Alonso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm 

I wasn't arguing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Volantary wrote:
Is he especially wealthy though? Williams always seem to be struggling for money, if he has loads put away surely he could just hire the 2 best drivers going and bankroll the team himself Vijay Mallya style rather than rely on the likes of Nakajima and Senna to bring in cash?I would have a floating wheelchair with bazookas if I was in that situation though, thankfully I have 2 fully functioning, if underused, legs.

Just because Williams the team is cash strapped, doesn't mean he doesn't pay himself a healthy wage ;)

Too true. Company I used to work for went into administration, and having to work within operating budget I saw the decline over the last year of the company, yet the two directors still took home more salary than the rest of the office staff combined and had brand new company cars (Jaguars no less), and my boss had a brand new BMW company car... yet they couldn't give me a 1% pay rise and in the end couldn't afford to keep the business going. Priorities? Not every director has it.

I somehow picture Frank to be more sensible than that, but I still expect he gets a handsome wage as well.

Did you work for an IT company in Coventry at the turn of the century?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm 

specdecible wrote:
I'm not trying to be inconsiderate, but the man owns an F1 team... surely his wheelchair would be a masterpiece made from carbon fiber and light weight metals. Does anyone have any decent photos of it for analysis?

Frank should buy an IReal, Toyota's space age mobile chair. :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:17 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Volantary wrote:
Is he especially wealthy though? Williams always seem to be struggling for money, if he has loads put away surely he could just hire the 2 best drivers going and bankroll the team himself Vijay Mallya style rather than rely on the likes of Nakajima and Senna to bring in cash?I would have a floating wheelchair with bazookas if I was in that situation though, thankfully I have 2 fully functioning, if underused, legs.

Just because Williams the team is cash strapped, doesn't mean he doesn't pay himself a healthy wage ;)

Too true. Company I used to work for went into administration, and having to work within operating budget I saw the decline over the last year of the company, yet the two directors still took home more salary than the rest of the office staff combined and had brand new company cars (Jaguars no less), and my boss had a brand new BMW company car... yet they couldn't give me a 1% pay rise and in the end couldn't afford to keep the business going. Priorities? Not every director has it.

I somehow picture Frank to be more sensible than that, but I still expect he gets a handsome wage as well.

Did you work for an IT company in Coventry at the turn of the century?

At the turn of the century I was moving from Germany to Wales and changing schools, so the answer would be negatory I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

Sir Frank is rich, his net worth is in excess of £100m. He paid himself well, just like Ron Dennis. But for Sir Frank, his team and racing is the most important thing, and he doesn't skim off company assets to the detriment of the racing organization. I recall an interview where he criticized others, like Eddie Jordan, who supported their extravagant lifestyle from the team's assets.

In all the countless pictures I have seen of Sir Frank, he has always been in a simple commercial wheelchair. He's rich and competitive, but almost zero ego. He keeps it practical and simple.