planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm 

...now with just Marussia to supply ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm 

Dunno, i doubt it but who actually owns Cosworth now?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm 

veemax wrote:

seems alot of work just for one team. a team that will now almost certainly finish last for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they're still here is because they're contract bound and someone's bankrolling them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 pm 

I'm pretty sure I remember an article from back in 2010 from the head of their f1 engine programme saying that die to the frozen regs they had basically no development to do so were able to make a profit from every engine sold, regardless of whether they supplied one team or ten. I have no link for it as it was so long ago but if that is true there is no real reason for them to drop out next season. 2014 will be a different ball game altogether though...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 pm 

Sutton wrote:
veemax wrote:

seems alot of work just for one team. a team that will now almost certainly finish last for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't bet on it. Remember they were giving Caterham a hard time at the tail end of the season, next year the McLaren deal should have more influence AND they will have KERS. Something Caterham had all last year.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm 

If they have/had any sense, they would have a pretty small staff to pay for, given that the engine is stable and has been the same one used for a long time now.

That way its all profit, sitting in a bank account, hopefully funding a 2014 engine.

Dont forget that F1 isnt their only sport either so I dont think they will be in any sort of financial difficulty even if they were to drop out of F1.

Also dont forget that they didnt supply any F1 teams at all between 2007 and 2009.

I just hope that we'll see more engine options from 2014. It'd be pretty crap if all we had was Renault, Ferrari and Mercades.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 pm 

RickM wrote:
If they have/had any sense, they would have a pretty small staff to pay for, given that the engine is stable and has been the same one used for a long time now.

That way its all profit, sitting in a bank account, hopefully funding a 2014 engine.

Dont forget that F1 isnt their only sport either so I dont think they will be in any sort of financial difficulty even if they were to drop out of F1.

Also dont forget that they didnt supply any F1 teams at all between 2007 and 2009.

I just hope that we'll see more engine options from 2014. It'd be pretty crap if all we had was Renault, Ferrari and Mercades.

absolutely. wonder if anyone else is interested ? Toyota or Honda again ? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm 

Sutton wrote:
RickM wrote:

I like the sound of McLaren-BMW :-P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 pm 

Sutton wrote:
RickM wrote:

Honda are rumoured. Toyota won't return yet, they still have Le Mans to focus on. BMW will be focusing on DTM, can't see a return from them in the near future.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Xuero wrote:
I'm pretty sure I remember an article from back in 2010 from the head of their f1 engine programme saying that die to the frozen regs they had basically no development to do so were able to make a profit from every engine sold, regardless of whether they supplied one team or ten. I have no link for it as it was so long ago but if that is true there is no real reason for them to drop out next season. 2014 will be a different ball game altogether though...

That's right. And I'm sure they made comment saying they were keen to remain even if it were just with one team.

And being an F1 engine supplier must do wonders for your cedibility and opportunities in other markets.

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm 

I wonder what engine Marussia would use if Cosworth leaves. Marussia's manufactured cars all use Cosworth engines.

Fernando Alonso
Pastor Maldonado
Sergio Perez
Michael Schumacher
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:49 pm 

LITE992 wrote:
I wonder what engine Marussia would use if Cosworth leaves. Marussia's manufactured cars all use Cosworth engines.

Mercedes one would imagine thanks to their links with McLaren.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm 

veemax wrote:

Since 2004 the Cosworth Group has been owned by Gerry Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm 

Gimax wrote:
veemax wrote:

Since 2004 the Cosworth Group has been owned by Gerry Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven.

So the guys that owned the Champ Car World Series. Venture capitalists now ......Hmmmm

http://www.flagworld.com/news/2012/10/24/prodrive-interested-in-buying-cosworth/#more-82970