planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Kamui's future...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm 

metamorphomisk wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Kobayashi was no Montoya, but still a loss to the sport given his popularity. I don't think he has a future in F1 though, he didn't make a big enough impact on the teams, only the fans I believe.

It does seem harsh that he was only 6 points behind his teammate (would only have been 2 points if he had been more patient trying to pass Schumi in Brazil), and his teammate goes to McLaren and he doesn't get a drive.

The trouble is, in F1 at the moment, you have proven drivers in the top 5 teams, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes, Lotus, and the rest of the grid is filled with unseasoned rookies. So noone really knows how good half the grid is.

The only rookie/young-gun who we have any idea how good he is, is Grosjean. The rest have proved diddly squat, because they have been racing against teammates who have proved diddly squat in cars we have no idea how good they are.

This. It seems like teams only care if you get podiums, like checo did

Well podiums get your sponsors mo coverage, more glory for selling on Monday's. Perez's highs in 2012 were higher than anything Kamui managed in 3 years. Checo could have won a race and certainly had the pace to win two more if they had been 10 laps longer, Kamui never looked close to a race win in the same car. That's the difference between a potential WDC and a driver who is good but will never be great.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 pm 

the incubus wrote:
The problem is that Heidfeld put in lap times at times where he had blistering pace yet could not maintain it and hence, I suspect teams took notice that perhaps for all his ability and talent he was never going to be able to realize it all to it's full potential and thus it is likely felt he is not worth the investment. Kubica on the other hand while not being overly impressive in the way of finishing positions and points, made more impressive moves while clawing up and down the field and the impression (whether accurate or not) was that Kubica was besting his more experienced teammate. Kubica to me seemed like he was never truly comfortable in the BMW's and then at Renault the car felt good to him but was slightly off the pace and other teams considerably out-developed them. Then he made the boneheaded move and took to rallying in tiny cars on unsafe road courses until he almost got himself killed. Sad but I feel that if he was indeed contracted to Ferrari, he'd have likely enjoyed many more superior successes in his career and he now has to live with that knowledge and thinking what might've been. I really like the guy but I have to call Dunce on that one and the teams are to blame as well as they should place clauses in their employees contracts ruling out certain things.

I agree on all acounts, but my point is that points or whatever other statistic is mentioned, is not what teams are really looking at. It is important, but it's not everything. Heidfeld-Raikkonen in 2001, Kubica-Heidfeld and now Perez-Kobayashi show that. Teams are looking for something special and when they see it, they will go for it rather than choosing other option, which on paper looks to have the same qualities.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm 

metamorphomisk wrote:
This. It seems like teams only care if you get podiums, like checo did

Here you got an real answer, right at the beginning of the podcast:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/12/f ... christmas/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 am 

minchy wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
minchy wrote:
the incubus wrote:
His problem is that he simply failed to put in drives that caught peoples' attentions and on the occasions he drove really well, he usually followed it up with less than stellar races. Just like Heidfeld, he usually did just enough to remain shy of doing terrible. F1 is a sport where eventually you have to show you've got it or you're out and it seems that without a truckload of cash he is done in F1 for the moment.

@ Jammin, the only way to prove to teams you are worth a shot is by putting in impressive drives of your own accord which is something I can't recall ever seeing from Kobayashi.

Brazil '09
Japan '10 '11 '12
Europe '11
Australia '11

All spring to my mind. He wasn't one of the greatest, but at the same time was no slouch and is imo a better racing driver than a few of the drivers who have seats in 2013.

He had one decent drive last year then. Perez had three. That's why one is in a top car and one is out of F1 for 2012. He just didn't do enough to prove he'd be good enough in a top car. Simple as that.

Which is 1 more good drive than either of the STR boys or Di Resta who all have seats next year supposedly based on results and talent. But that's how things work, not always fair and there's no point dwelling on might have been. Just pointing out a few of his good drives.

di Resta had a handful of good drives in fairness

Singapore '11 '12
Bahrain '12
Monza '12 (you include Japan '11)

Don't really rate either, Koba was given a fair chance and lets forget his racing career was virtually over in September 2009 had some decent races but had some shockers, he was nowhere in the three races Perez picked podiums in.

In 2011, if you exclude the two races Perez didn't race the points were 14 all and Perez looked quick at Monaco '11.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 am 

No matter where he goes he will be successful plus he said he's focusing 100% on getting a sponsorship package for a good drive in 2014!