planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 pm 

mds wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
At first it will definitely not be a feeder series, but depending on how much they're paying and how close of ties teams have to F1 teams I could see drivers who have a year or two in F1 then lose their seats going there.

Think of KK, Jaime, Karun, etc. being able to keep themselves in the eye-line of F1 teams when they can't run in the lower series anymore.

That's pretty much what I'm saying.
I argumented the thought of FE being a feeder series is not very likely because they're not fast enough to be a direct feeder series for F1 and they won't have enough visibility acting as a lower feeder series. This was just in response to others who thought it could be a feeder series.

The only thing I'm not really agreeing is "keep themselves in the eye-line of F1 teams" - I think once an F1 driver would go to FE, it will be end of F1 career effective immediately. But that's just how I feel about it.

I see where you're coming from with that first bit, but not about ending their F1 careers. We've seen drivers drop out of F1 and go into all sorts of different forms of motorsport and make a return to F1 later. Kimi and Roman being prime examples.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:59 pm 

Well...
- Kimi: great driver who was paid by Ferrari not to race... A driver of his caliber (look at Schumacher too) could take a sabbatical and be employed the year after - no problem. I agree a driver of his calibre could race in FE one year, but why would he do that? I don't see it happening.
- Romain: went back to GP2, one of the direct feeder series for F1 with loads of visibility. It's highly probable that a young talented driver dropped from F1 by circumstances (like Romain) will choose either GP2 or FR3.5, or an interesting position like Jaime at Pirelli, over FE.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 pm 

sounds like a blender. They can change that though, as they should.