It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:36 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Johnston wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Johnston wrote:
flyer wrote:
When they introduce electric-only in the pitlane, and having to restart the engine at the end, wonder how many times we'll see cars crawling through the pits on nearly-dead batteries, not making it to the end, causing collisions and holding other cars up, and failing to restart and causing a safety car?

I can't see it. I'm sure if push comes to the shove the FIA will let them go to petrol again rather than cause that. Then investigate whether it was Force Majuere or not after the race.

I thought I read that they're doing away with Force Majuere.

Thats in quali if they don't make it around and claim fuel issues.

I just don't see how they can say cars must run on battery power and not have a proviso for when the battery power packs in. Unless they suggest cars just park up because they can't make their way down the pit with electric power. Which means parking on track because they wouldn't be allowed to drive into their pits to retire. Which would be pretty stupid at tracks like Monaco.

The rules 2014 are just draft. Anyway if car retires it wouldn't matter whether it broke rules or not. The car is already practically out of competition.

Well it would. It would be a bit like speeding down the pit lane. Never hear them say "Ah well he retired it doesn't matter". It's still a trip to the stewards. Or what happens if a battery packs in in FP or Quali? If they aren't allowed down the pit lane unless on electric they are screwed. There has to be a work around.

Electric pit lane is 2017 anyway BTW It was dropped from 2014.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm 

flyer wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
flyer wrote:
Have to wonder how many times a team-mate or sister-team's car will slow someone down in the pit lane "because the battery was low", and then they'll be investigating was the battery actually low or not, and was that intentional or accidental. Some will get away with cheating, and some innocents will be punished.

I was going to say to get your tinfoil hat out, but with all that stored ERS energy it's probably not a good idea.

You're right, no-one would ever think of cheating like that, just like no-one would ever order their own car to crash.

Point 1: My post was tongue in cheek.

Point 2: There is nothing to stop this happening at the moment without electric only in the pit lane, they could claim the engine switched to a dodgy power map, throttle had a problem, whatever.

Point 3: As far as I am aware, there is only a maximum pit lane speed limit, not a minimum one so it probably wouldn't break any rules.

Point 4: People have overtaken in the pit lane without punishment, see Hamilton on Schumacher in Korea.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Well it would. It would be a bit like speeding down the pit lane. Never hear them say "Ah well he retired it doesn't matter". It's still a trip to the stewards. Or what happens if a battery packs in in FP or Quali? If they aren't allowed down the pit lane unless on electric they are screwed. There has to be a work around.

Electric pit lane is 2017 anyway BTW It was dropped from 2014.

It's not fair comparison since we don't know what kind of penalty would have been handed. Without such a knowledge any discussion is pointless.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm 

Regarding this "cars limping down the pit lane because they are low on battery power" there are a few things to consider:

1) The cars enter the pits at the speed limit meaning it will require very, very, very little power for them to maintain this speed once they have crossed the line.

2) The only point they will need a large boost of power will be accelerating out of the box, but wait, they brake from 60mph so they can recover most of the energy needed to accelerate back from that!

3) For the majority of pit stops they will KNOW they are coming in and will know to reserve the battery power needed on their in lap. For late calls to come in they should make more than the energy required just from last braking zone before coming in to the pits. Remember, they are allowed to harvest 50% more power per lap than they use up so they will always have the option to harvest more than they use up.

4) In the extremely unlikely event that they don't have enough energy or their electrical harvesting system has developed a fault... Well tough luck, this would be the same as running out of fuel or a fuel pump breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:03 am 

Whatever they decide, it'll probably be a season or two of sorting it out practically.

Wonder who will be the first to get hit by a nearly-silent F1 car while wearing ear protection.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:36 am 

I thought the electric running in the pitlane had been scrapped? Or at least delayed so they won't come in force in 2014, if ever?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
I thought the electric running in the pitlane had been scrapped? Or at least delayed so they won't come in force in 2014, if ever?

"Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Todt said: "I have accepted to delay it. It has to go through the World Council, but it will be delayed for around three years.""

So, 2017 at least.