planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What is ERS?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
KERS is restricted in capacity, use, and power levels. HERS is unlimited. KERS feeds the energy back into the drivetrain, and HERS feeds the energy back into the turbo, each are distinct and separate, although they share the same common control unit and storage device.

Actually, it's more complicated than that, the limitations on KERS only relate to a peak power (120kW) and a max transfer from the Energy Storage (eg battery) - the regulations allow for unlimited transfer of power between the two MGUs. This means if the turbo was constantly generating 120kW per lap the driver could permanently power his KERS. There is a diagram at the end of the PDF on page 82.

I like your reasoning, it appears that may be possible. But under hard acceleration wouldn't you want the MGU-H to spool up the turbo, thus not allowing it to harvest heat energy to feed to the MGU-K just when you want it? I can definitely see the MGU-H feeding 120 kW (as long as it's not robbing the engine of any power) to the MGU-K at the end of the straights, long after KERS is traditionally not used. Fascinating stuff, I can't wait to see how the teams decide when and where to use ERS and how the power is shuttled about.

Thanks Alien, suddenly it just got very interesting.

Post subject: Re: What is ERS?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:17 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
KERS is restricted in capacity, use, and power levels. HERS is unlimited. KERS feeds the energy back into the drivetrain, and HERS feeds the energy back into the turbo, each are distinct and separate, although they share the same common control unit and storage device.

Actually, it's more complicated than that, the limitations on KERS only relate to a peak power (120kW) and a max transfer from the Energy Storage (eg battery) - the regulations allow for unlimited transfer of power between the two MGUs. This means if the turbo was constantly generating 120kW per lap the driver could permanently power his KERS. There is a diagram at the end of the PDF on page 82.

I like your reasoning, it appears that may be possible. But under hard acceleration wouldn't you want the MGU-H to spool up the turbo, thus not allowing it to harvest heat energy to feed to the MGU-K just when you want it? I can definitely see the MGU-H feeding 120 kW (as long as it's not robbing the engine of any power) to the MGU-K at the end of the straights, long after KERS is traditionally not used. Fascinating stuff, I can't wait to see how the teams decide when and where to use ERS and how the power is shuttled about.

Thanks Alien, suddenly it just got very interesting.

Max fuel flow is allowed from 10,500rpm, so from 10,500 to 15,000rpm less turbo compression will be needed, so at the higher rev range the HERS can be used to directly power the KERS motor.

What's interesting is that they could use the battery to drive the turbine, and in turn then route the power to the KERS motor - which is technically legal but obviously against the spirit of the regulations. They can also use braking engine to drive the turbo and charge the battery more! It seems like a massive loop hole, but I don't know how they would regulate it - unless its stipulated in the regulations an MGU can't simultaneously charge and be driven.