planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Hill_(racing_driver)

http://www.joshhillracing.com/index2.asp

Do your research, then rate or slate!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 pm 

Slate.

He'll never make it to F1 IMO. Not unless he has some substantial sponsorship money behind him and a backmarker team is desperate. Sorry Josh.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm 

Rate

Great overtaking skills in Formula Fords, he did win some good races too.

Last year... "In 2012 Hill raced in Formula Renault 2.0 NEC championship finishing third overall and taking five wins."

He drove his Grandfather's winning Matra at Le Mans this year, if that doesn't inspire him to a future championship nothing will.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:24 pm 

Isn't it a bit early to make a decent judgement? There are lots of drivers with better initial records that don't make it in top line racing and others with worse initial records that end up with a decent to line racing career.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:38 pm 

roll on the start of the season so we don't have to have these desperate threads , lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Isn't it a bit early to make a decent judgement? There are lots of drivers with better initial records that don't make it in top line racing and others with worse initial records that end up with a decent to line racing career.

One can always guess these things. I don't see him ever being WDC just like most of the drivers in the lower UK formulae.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm 

32 drivers have been World Champion since 1950 and 10 of them had first names beginning with J - more than twice as many as the next most frequent first letter (A and M).

7 of those 32 drivers had surnames beginning with H - again more than twice as many as the next most frequent first letter (A and S) and three WDCs had the same surname: Hill.

So Josh Hill certainly has the right name for F1 success!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:46 pm 

slide wrote:
roll on the start of the season so we don't have to have these desperate threads , lol

Thanks for that constructive comment. You don't like a thread? Don't comment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 pm 

Gimax wrote:
7 of those 32 drivers had surnames beginning with H - again more than twice as many as the next most frequent first letter (A and S)

Are you talking a bout individual drivers, or total championships? Without looking I know that champions with a surname that starts with "S" have at least 6. Three each for Senna & Stewart.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:50 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:
7 of those 32 drivers had surnames beginning with H - again more than twice as many as the next most frequent first letter (A and S)

Are you talking a bout individual drivers, or total championships? Without looking I know that champions with a surname that starts with "S" have at least 6. Three each for Senna & Stewart.

You might want to add another 7 ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:07 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:

Come on, you forgot the seven for Schumacher and one for Surtees and I almost posted having forgot the one for Scheckter (just caught). That's fifteen of the 63 championships.

For WDCs with H, I'm thinking Phil Hill one, Graham Hill two, Damon Hill one, James Hunt one, Mika two, so seven in total, five drivers. There's five for S remember.

As I'm currently using WDCs for passwords at work with a maximum of eight characters, eg Alonso06, I also realised that a high percentage of champions had a surname of six letters or less (can't remember exactly without looking up). Not sure how this compares to surnames in general. Also, I was really pleased that my password from near the start of the season, Vettel12, came true.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 pm 

My good friend Graham Carroll had a far Superior record in Formula Fords then Josh Hill, (Won them all easily) But funds meant he had to stop racing.

In today's motorsport world, more often than not money means more than talent, and sometimes having a famous surname / or father can help some what get you into F1 despite lacking the results in lower series.

Some drivers excel more when they get into F1 also, the key is how well they do when in F1, but it's not all about how well you do in those lower formula's to get there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm 

Rate. Great overtaker from what I have seen and the name makes me want to see success from him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm 

Jomox wrote:
My good friend Graham Carroll had a far Superior record in Formula Fords then Josh Hill, (Won them all easily) But funds meant he had to stop racing.

In today's motorsport world, more often than not money means more than talent, and sometimes having a famous surname / or father can help some what get you into F1 despite lacking the results in lower series.

Some drivers excel more when they get into F1 also, the key is how well they do when in F1, but it's not all about how well you do in those lower formula's to get there.

Nelson Piquet Jr.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm unsure but would say slate more. If his name carries him to F1, (not sure he has the talent, but the name itself or the funding it brings might), he might find himself at some point with a top drive when others are disappointing and snatch a title, almost exactly like his father.

I'm more looking forward to Schumi's offspring potentially teaming up with Barrichello's and the latter's being asked to move over. Far-fetched, but what a dream to have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:05 pm 

Unsure about his racing ability, but one old work colleagues had an old school friend who raced Josh in formula Renault and all he could about him was that he wasn't that popular amongst the young drivers cause he full of himself because he of who his dad and grandad were.

I think every driver needs have self confidence and a little arrogance to get where they want. But that should come from results, not genetics.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:

For WDCs with H, I'm thinking Phil Hill one, Graham Hill two, Damon Hill one, James Hunt one, Mika two, so seven in total, five drivers. There's five for S remember.

Hamilton as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:

Read my post - I said 32 drivers have been World Champion, which is correct. Of course some of them were champion more than once. The 7 drivers with surnames beginning with H are:

Mike Hawthorn
Phil Hill
Graham Hill
Denny Hulme
James Hunt
Damon Hill
Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 pm 

Gimax wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:

Read my post - I said 32 drivers have been World Champion, which is correct. Of course some of them were champion more than once. The 7 drivers with surnames beginning with H are:

Mike Hawthorn
Phil Hill
Graham Hill
Denny Hulme
James Hunt
Damon Hill
Lewis Hamilton

There's Hakkinen as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm 

minchy wrote:
Unsure about his racing ability, but one old work colleagues had an old school friend who raced Josh in formula Renault and all he could about him was that he wasn't that popular amongst the young drivers cause he full of himself because he of who his dad and grandad were.

I think every driver needs have self confidence and a little arrogance to get where they want. But that should come from results, not genetics.

On various interviews I've seen and the SkySportsF1 doc on him he came over as a polite well spoken boy and maybe even painfully shy

Perhaps people mistook that for arrogance

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
minchy wrote:

On various interviews I've seen and the SkySportsF1 doc on him he came over as a polite well spoken boy and maybe even painfully shy

Perhaps people mistook that for arrogance

never met him or seen him on tv (out of his car) so i cant say. But it is a possibility that he has his PR persona, which is different to personality. Or it could be that some other drivers in the series 2 years ago just had that impression of him which they formulated themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 am 

Moore wrote:
Gimax wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Gimax wrote:

Mike Hawthorn
Phil Hill
Graham Hill
Denny Hulme
James Hunt
Damon Hill
Lewis Hamilton

There's Hakkinen as well.

Yeah and I counted 5 WDC's starting with S so how that's less than half of 8 - let alone 7 - is beyond me. There are only 3 starting with A by my count, so it's wrong on so many levels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
He has missed a massive chunk of vital formative racing. The fact he's done as well as he has without that grounding means he almost certainly has something. But, on the down side, he may never be able to catch up. I'd guess at seeing solid career in sportscars somewhere down the line, but who can tell?

Judging a driver on stats alone at this stage of their career is beyond futile. Unless you know the driver and the circumstances of each season, if not race, it can be extremely misleading.

If we're comparing him to everyone else at that stage of their career, then 'rate' seems to be the only answer, he's unquestionably better than average. If the question is, 'will he be F1 world champion?' (about the only measure by which many seem to judge racing drivers), then 'no' seems the logical answer... but we'd have been even more certain his old man wouldn't be a WDC at that stage of his career.

of Alice

Last edited by Balibari on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 am 

Balibari wrote:
He has missed a massive chunk of vital formative racing. The fact he's done as well as he has without that grounding means he almost certainly has something. But, on the down side, he may never be able to catch up. I'd guess at seeing solid career in sportscars somewhere down the line, but who can tell?

That sounds just like his father to be fair.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm 

Colinjb wrote:
Balibari wrote:

That sounds just like his father to be fair.

Yup. And I guess that could be taken either way. On one hand you could say Damon overcame the handicap through incredible determination. On the other, it remained a handicap all his career and some (not me) say he was only successful due to a series of 'fortunate' events.

One difference is that the lack of early experience was often blamed for Damon being a less natural overtaker than others. Josh doesn't seem to have a problem there.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm 

I'l go for mystery option 3: neither rate or slate. He's clearly got some talent, but if we were listing promising young drivers then it would be a while before we got to his name.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 pm 

Damon had pace as well determination, his 1990 F3000 season included 3 pole positions and 5 races led, the mechanicals were the teams problem, he owed his 1989 Mooncraft F3000 mid season opportunity to his Dad's name, everything else he earnt!

Remember that when Mansell threw his toys out of the pram over Prost's signature Hill had to test against other drivers before he was given his 1993 contract, those drivers included Martin Brundle!

There is much uninformed derogatory comment about Damon's pace, he was no Senna but was just as quick as any in the next tier, particularly in the wet

Josh has proved worthy at every level he's raced thus far, and yes, it is perfectly possible that he has the ability to make it further up the ladder, especially given his parental support.

Nobody makes it to F1 without a godfather/mother in the background at key points in their career, just ask Guitierrez or any of his predecessors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm 

Fat Albert wrote:
Nobody makes it to F1 without a godfather/mother in the background at key points in their career, just ask Guitierrez or any of his predecessors

Too right. And anyone who assumes Damon's career made the family enough money to act as that godfather is overestimating how much Tom W/Eddie J paid him... or underestimating how much it costs to get to F1.

As pretty much every son of a driver has said, the famous name is a double edged sword. If they believe you're serious they may not think you need the money and help. And many just aren't serious enough (Bruno Senna, Nico Rosberg and Nelson Piquet jnr spring to mind as drivers who sometimes don't/didn't seem to want it enough - that never crossed my mind with Damon).

of Alice