planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC

What constructor will get best new motor? (If do. Not all for sure)
Ferrari 30%  30%  [ 12 ]
Mercedes 35%  35%  [ 14 ]
MacLaren 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Renault 25%  25%  [ 10 ]
Cosworth 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Another 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:24 pm 

The stability in rules about motors gave how result that from some years the motor is a minor relevance factor in a F1 package. No attempt to say it's irrelevant, and it was really determinant in some races, but they are roughly the same thing, no matter the name.
Now this will change.
With the new rules, motors will be designed almost integrally, and well could be that performance and reliability differences becomes large.
The constructor that manufactures best motor, would easy gets one or two years of advantage.
Who would be?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm 

Not Mercedes, the last time there was a major engine reg shakeup the engines they produced blew up every other race.

I think Renault will have the advantage, as they supply four teams, compared to three for Mercedes or Ferrari. By the end of pre-season testing they will have a significant amount more data to draw conclusions from this can only be beneficial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:06 pm 

New, or over the course of the first few years? Mercedes seem pretty confident with their package, so I wouldn't go against them. Wasn't there rumours of Red Bull turning to the German powerhouse after 2013?

But, as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, if a certain Italian manufacturer has a poor engine at the start of 2014 the engines will be unfrozen and they'll be allowed to catch up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:12 pm 

There isn't any data available to base an opinion of the upcoming engines on. Mercedes is promoting their progress a lot, but that doesn't mean anything because it's just marketing.

We won't really know anything until this time next year, but even then it won't be until the first test days next year before there is any proof of performance of a given engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:17 pm 

I have a feeling there is something in the Honda rumours and they are going to nail it.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:44 pm 

How could anyone in this forum know?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm 

BMW... oh wait, they aren´t comming back, my bet would be Mercedes then

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm 

i guess Mclaren would struggle to make the best, as they are not manufacturing F1 engines.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:35 pm 

Johnston wrote:
I have a feeling there is something in the Honda rumours and they are going to nail it.

Not in the nearer future.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:40 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Not in the nearer future.

Dunno Honda are supposed to have one on the bench and they already do similar for Indy .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm 

Don't know where the hype about Mercedes came from. Typically unreliable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:13 pm 

Im voting Cosworth. because of their vast experience with Champ Car and their turbo engines

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

Museli wrote:
Don't know where the hype about Mercedes came from. Typically unreliable.

When was the last engine failure for a Mercedes engine?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm 

It's all guesswork from our perspective. Unless, you're privileged enough to know precise and accurate details concerning all the potential F1 engines in 2014.

It could just as easily be Merc, as it could Ferrari as it could be Renault as it could be (insert other engine manufacture here) .

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm 

Khazrak134 wrote:
Im voting Cosworth. because of their vast experience with Champ Car and their turbo engines

It didn't do them much good in their previous attempt at an F1 turbo engine. The best results achieved by the 1.5 turbo V6 GBA engine used by Haas Lola in 1986 and Benetton in 1987 were a couple of third places.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm 

Have cossie even started properly developing a new motor? I thought they were dropping out with their place originally to be filled by Pure?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm 

Covalent wrote:
How could anyone in this forum know?

As with a lot of internet forum polls, there should be a "Not a clue, no way of knowing" option.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm 

Warnzee wrote:
Not Mercedes, the last time there was a major engine reg shakeup the engines they produced blew up every other race.

I think Renault will have the advantage, as they supply four teams, compared to three for Mercedes or Ferrari. By the end of pre-season testing they will have a significant amount more data to draw conclusions from this can only be beneficial.

Mclaren had one engine failure all year in 2006 when Mercedes introduced the V8. At the end of the V10 era in 2005, they had about 8 failures in the races and practices.

In 2006 Renault and Ferrari also had at least one engine blow up. Notably Alonso at Monza and MS in Japan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Have cossie even started properly developing a new motor? I thought they were dropping out with their place originally to be filled by Pure?

Cosworth was working on one, but don't have experience with developing anything like the ERS so were looking for someone to partner with on that part of the new power unit. Now they're up for sale so who knows where they'll go at this point.

I thought Pure pulled out a long time ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm 

Dont forget guys, the 'engine' is only going to be half the package. Even it it is the best lump, without the rest of the recovery gizmos they will not be competitive. Going on this, I think Merc will be there abouts when the season starts. The others may catch them or it may fail with mechanical reliability, but if I was putting money, it would be on Merc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Cosworth was working on one, but don't have experience with developing anything like the ERS so were looking for someone to partner with on that part of the new power unit. Now they're up for sale so who knows where they'll go at this point.

Yeah Pure pulled out thats why I said "Originally" Finances I think was the reason. Another reason I would think Cossie will find it tough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Johnston wrote:

The Cosworth website gives a full summary of their F1 plans for next year: http://cosworth.com/pr-media/news-archive/sport/f1/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:38 pm 

Is Mercedes engine really that good? Renault made really good engine in 2006, but then rules were altered and development was frozen! As a result Renault wasn't able to run in optimal setup (the higher revs). Originally 2006 engines were supposed to run without any limiters and that time in 2006 Renault was rumored to be most powerful. If FIA stick to their 2014 rules and don't change anything I have little doubts that Renault will be maybe not best, but very competitive engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm 

I think Renault will surprise here and be the best out of the box, particularly as the new rules will really reward fuel efficiency, something Renault has been doing best in F1 for some time.

Quote:
The new power units will pose several challenges for the teams and drivers not least of which will be fuel management.

The same races on this year's calendar will need to be covered using 50kgs less fuel than at present while still getting a power output of 750hp.

"The quickest strategy for completing a race will be very different to the quickest strategy for completing a lap," said Cowell, the managing director of Mercedes High Performance Powertrains, during a sneak preview of the company's 2014 engine.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/83917 ... mpionship-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 pm 

going_the_distance wrote:
I think Renault will surprise here and be the best out of the box, particularly as the new rules will really reward fuel efficiency, something Renault has been doing best in F1 for some time.

Quote:
The new power units will pose several challenges for the teams and drivers not least of which will be fuel management.

The same races on this year's calendar will need to be covered using 50kgs less fuel than at present while still getting a power output of 750hp.

"The quickest strategy for completing a race will be very different to the quickest strategy for completing a lap," said Cowell, the managing director of Mercedes High Performance Powertrains, during a sneak preview of the company's 2014 engine.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/83917 ... mpionship-

But what about "ERS" , this is the other "half" from the new power plants