planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm 

Yes Checo will do better than Heikki in McLaren. Heikki isn't in McLaren anymore, he can't do very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:13 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Yes Checo will do better than Heikki in McLaren. Heikki isn't in McLaren anymore, he can't do very much.

He'll maybe sneak in at night and mess up the clutch settings though Image

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm 

Volantary wrote:
I rate that more than Perez's trick which is to keep tyres in good nick; this works for him on occasion but the rest of the time he ends up being average at best. I really can't remember any good overtaking moves from him.

Rubbish. So Malaysia was all about keeping tyres in good nick, even though he pitted at around the same time as his rivals and was the fastest guy on track? Okay.
I'll accept your point for Canada. That race was all about tyres. But for Monza, while his strategy was advantageous, he made the most of it by using the prime tyre at the start, overtaking cars that were on the faster options while also making the tyres last. Because Perez did the hard work early on, he had a lot of clear air once he switched to the options, and this really exaggerated the advantage he got from that strategy.

And you can't remember any good overtakes from Perez? Sure, passing isn't his biggest weapon, but his moves on Hamilton in Japan, Rosberg in Canada and Alguersuari in Malaysia (rookie year) were all very impressive. Kobayashi gets a lot of hype for being great at overtaking but I think a lot of that is based on his first couple years, such as when he passed Button at Abu Dhabi, and when he made the Suzuka hairpin his own. I invite you to remind me of some great Koba passes from the last couple seasons, because I can't really remember any. Not saying he can't overtake but I don't see why he's considered to be one of the elite passers.

You're constantly putting Perez down, yet he's the driver who had three podiums to Koba's one, beat Koba in six out of nine races both finished, and was ahead 11-9 in quali. Plus Perez had more misfortune than Koba - Hit by Grosjean in Spain, the problem in Monaco quali that may or may not have been caused by Maldonado, hit by Maldonado at Silverstone, caught up in the same incident as Koba at Spa, innocent victim in the Vettel incident at Interlagos. Basically, if Perez fails at McLaren, then there will be absolutely nothing to indicate that Koba would have done better.

Really, I think both are very good drivers. Kobayashi was simply beaten by a younger driver with great potential. There is no shame in that. He deserves a competitive drive again and I hope he gets one in 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 am 

Johnston wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

He'll maybe sneak in at night and mess up the clutch settings though Image

That rat ba**ard...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm 

jammin78 wrote:

I don't know, if Checo crashed out in most of the races maybe you could say Heikki did better even if he didn't drive the car :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Did Button really say that and when was it said?

22th of August, few days before di Resta signed with Button's management and at the time, when McLaren was is serious talks with Perez. It's lobbying for di Resta from Jenson.

Quote:
McLaren's Jenson Button said: "It's not Perez who is the 'tire whisperer.' It's the car.

"If I was to drive my car as he drives his, then our tires would wear out very quickly."

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... r-on-grid/

It's no secret Button wanted di Resta as his teammate. They are pals (today they are together in Italy), they would share the same management and Button would have mental comfort, which is not the case with Perez. If Perez can bring his sponsors to McLaren in 2014, then that would be quite a shift in political powers. Di Resta on the other hand would be 'safe' option for Button, easy to control, with nothing behind him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:33 pm 

My opinion is that Perez will fare much, much better than Kovalainen, because he has much more talent than Kovalainen ever had. As Autosport reported in print edition, senior figures at McLaren are 'hugely encouraged' by what Perez had shown so far in simulator and outside it, interacting with people in factory. I have a very strong feeling Perez will surprise positively a lot of people, easily taking the fight to Button.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 pm 

Armchair Expert wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Did Button really say that and when was it said?

22th of August, few days before di Resta signed with Button's management and at the time, when McLaren was is serious talks with Perez. It's lobbying for di Resta from Jenson.

Quote:
McLaren's Jenson Button said: "It's not Perez who is the 'tire whisperer.' It's the car.

"If I was to drive my car as he drives his, then our tires would wear out very quickly."

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... r-on-grid/

It's no secret Button wanted di Resta as his teammate. They are pals (today they are together in Italy), they would share the same management and Button would have mental comfort, which is not the case with Perez. If Perez can bring his sponsors to McLaren in 2014, then that would be quite a shift in political powers. Di Resta on the other hand would be 'safe' option for Button, easy to control, with nothing behind him.

Hmmmm quite political

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

Was Button not in Italy with Wurz also? Is he wanting Wurz to get back into McLaren.

Two F1 drivers train together shocker !!!

Some guys read too much into things. A lot of the drivers are mates outside of race weekends.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Imo Kovalainen did well at McLaren in 2008; his times were not that far off Hamilton's; in early 2009 Heikki's times in the slow MP4/24-1 were actually good. Once they got the revised 24-2 though Lewis was much faster.

Having said this I think Perez will do better: he is a far more forceful and decisive. Also unlike Heikki, Perez will not be up against young charger, Hamilton, one of the most competitive drivers of his era. JB should be an excellent team-mate, one to co-operate with and learn a lot from.

+1

I'm sure Checo will do better than Kovalainen, he's got a hunger inside him to succeed at McLaren.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
OutKast wrote:
lamo wrote:
Many ways of looking at things. Both have talent and the one thing is for sure the is not a big enough difference for one to get arguably the best seat in F1 and the other not get a seat at all.

Perez scored points in 6 races from 14 finishes.
KK scored points in 9 races from 16 finishes.

Perez did score 3 podiums, but only finished in the top 8 one other time.
KK scored one podium, totalling 5 top 6 finishes.

Perez was comfortably beaten in 1/3 of the races last year by a guy who can not get a seat in F1. That is not good reading.

This.

I think the podiums got in the way of consistency that Koboyashi had, but lets not get off topic.

Perez will get along fine with Mclaren becuase he's extremely talented and I think he will have growing pains in Mclaren, but he will be fine in the end. I'm not sure what happened to Kova, but all I have to say between 07 to 09, it is different going against Fisichella then moving onto a young and hard charging Lewis Hamilton. Jenson is going to be a great test, but JB will have his off days and so will Perez. This will be a good team to watch, but at the same token expect to be fustrated some weekends by them for Mclaren fans. (I mean true Mclaren fans)

IMO Kovi never exactly impressed at Renault in 07 either. One podium, a lot of under performance and he was hanging onto a very under performing Fisichella's coat tails most of the time. I dunno what he did to deserve the McLaren seat other than prove he'd never get near Hamilton from the off. At the time I was pretty baffled as to why McLaren didn't get Heidfeld in for 08. He was quick, steady and would probably have been a happy No2 for Hamilton but I reckon could have fought for more than one lucky win.

Wasn't Heidfeld already signed up to BMW for 2008? Would of cost McLaren to buy him out of his contract, where as Heikki was a free agent at the time

2013: 12th
2014: 38th