planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2590
WiredKiwi wrote:
Words I never thought I'd hear 'Ceccotto was the innocent victim in that'

:thumbup:

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2936
tootsie323 wrote:
WiredKiwi wrote:
Words I never thought I'd hear 'Ceccotto was the innocent victim in that'

:thumbup:


:lol: +1. Not Nasr's finest moment of the year. Great drive from Calado though, completely controlled the race even with the two SCs.

_________________
Cheering for: Leclerc, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1st x1, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 10th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1945
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Brilliant Sunday drive from Calado. Hope he gets the FI seat next year.

As for Saturday, I'm amazed nothing was made of the ridiculous inner kerbs after Lancaster turned the chicane and Dillmann's head into a multi-story car park.

_________________
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 pm
Posts: 388
Location: York, United Kingdom.
http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News ... ntry-List/
Day 1 test line-up for GP2. Magnussen, Vandoorne and Marciello would be great to have in the series next year.

_________________
#LH44 Hammer time!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
Calado needs another year in GP2 IMO. One GP2 win doesn't mean he's ready for an F1 ride.

Leimer won't make it to F1. He's good but he had a few years in GP2. Nasr is another who needs that extra year. I just don't know about this GP2 grid. None of them look like future F1 champions to me. Race winners perhaps but champions might be pushing it a little.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Interesting, Martin Whitmarsh suggesting McLaren will place Vandoorne in GP2 next year, rather than have him run another year in FR3.5. I wonder if that's purely because, short of winning the title, he can't really do too much more in FR3.5 next year, or something of a reflection of the team's opinions of the merits of FR3.5 and GP2?


I came across of an article I missed about this a few days ago. It certainly seems he has a clear idea about FR3.5 and GP2, and putting Vandoorne in GP2 isn't merely a suggestion apparently:

Quote:
"There's nothing wrong with GP2...but I think the quality of the field recently in world series has been far beyond that of GP2," said McLaren principal Martin Whitmarsh.

"I'm sure he (Leimer) has done a good job, I believe he's been doing it for four years to get here and a few Asian series and a lot of others. So it's quite an expensive bit of progress."

Whitmarsh said the merits of GP2 were sharing the same circuits as Formula One and using similar tyres but it has become difficult for a rookie to win.

"But I do think a good quality rookie will and can win it and that's what I'm hoping is going to happen next year."

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 2346
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
1st results are in for GP2 morning test : And Alexander Rossi starts with the top spot.
http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News ... g-session/

GP3: Dean Stoneman becomes the fastest for both sessions.
http://www.gp3series.com/News/2013/11_N ... n-testing/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4777
Placid wrote:
1st results are in for GP2 morning test : And Alexander Rossi starts with the top spot.
http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News ... g-session/

GP3: Dean Stoneman becomes the fastest for both sessions.
http://www.gp3series.com/News/2013/11_N ... n-testing/

Way to go Alex!

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1945
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
And Dean :D

_________________
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
Third day and Vandoorne on top in both sessions. Broke the GP2 lap record in the final session!

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News ... es-Day-3-/

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 pm
Posts: 2534
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4777
Mr-E wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

Formula E?

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13782
mds wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Interesting, Martin Whitmarsh suggesting McLaren will place Vandoorne in GP2 next year, rather than have him run another year in FR3.5. I wonder if that's purely because, short of winning the title, he can't really do too much more in FR3.5 next year, or something of a reflection of the team's opinions of the merits of FR3.5 and GP2?


I came across of an article I missed about this a few days ago. It certainly seems he has a clear idea about FR3.5 and GP2, and putting Vandoorne in GP2 isn't merely a suggestion apparently:

Quote:
"There's nothing wrong with GP2...but I think the quality of the field recently in world series has been far beyond that of GP2," said McLaren principal Martin Whitmarsh.

"I'm sure he (Leimer) has done a good job, I believe he's been doing it for four years to get here and a few Asian series and a lot of others. So it's quite an expensive bit of progress."

Whitmarsh said the merits of GP2 were sharing the same circuits as Formula One and using similar tyres but it has become difficult for a rookie to win.

"But I do think a good quality rookie will and can win it and that's what I'm hoping is going to happen next year."


Echoes exactly my own thoughts. The best young drivers don't usually do GP2 as the championship is usually won by a guy with a big budget and years of experience. Hulk was the last guy to win the GP2 championship on innate talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 714
Location: South London
mikeyg123 wrote:
mds wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Interesting, Martin Whitmarsh suggesting McLaren will place Vandoorne in GP2 next year, rather than have him run another year in FR3.5. I wonder if that's purely because, short of winning the title, he can't really do too much more in FR3.5 next year, or something of a reflection of the team's opinions of the merits of FR3.5 and GP2?


I came across of an article I missed about this a few days ago. It certainly seems he has a clear idea about FR3.5 and GP2, and putting Vandoorne in GP2 isn't merely a suggestion apparently:

Quote:
"There's nothing wrong with GP2...but I think the quality of the field recently in world series has been far beyond that of GP2," said McLaren principal Martin Whitmarsh.

"I'm sure he (Leimer) has done a good job, I believe he's been doing it for four years to get here and a few Asian series and a lot of others. So it's quite an expensive bit of progress."

Whitmarsh said the merits of GP2 were sharing the same circuits as Formula One and using similar tyres but it has become difficult for a rookie to win.

"But I do think a good quality rookie will and can win it and that's what I'm hoping is going to happen next year."


Echoes exactly my own thoughts. The best young drivers don't usually do GP2 as the championship is usually won by a guy with a big budget and years of experience. Hulk was the last guy to win the GP2 championship on innate talent.


I know it's early days - he hasn't even been confirmed in a GP2 seat, let alone won the championship - but I'm excited to see Vandoorne storm the championship then get a Macca seat for 2015 or 2016. I think McLaren have wonderful talents in Magnussen and Vandoorne and they could spawn a great partnership for the team in a few seasons. Obviously past glory is no indicator of future success (Kevin's dad was proof of that, once you get to F1 it's square one) but I have faith that thes two really are the next two big talents for F1.

Hope Kevin gets the Macca seat this year so he can have the experience McLaren need to partner him with Vandoorne when Button retires.

_________________
NH#1: Quick Nick Heidfeld
NH#2: HULK SMASH

PF1 Pick 10 Podiums: 6 (2nd IND '11; 1st JPN '12; 1st MCO '13; 3rd DEU '16; 3rd USA '16, 3rd MEX '16)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm
Posts: 57
RaggedMan wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

Formula E?

Very interesting suggestion. With the big names starting to put their weight/money behind the series (Andretti, Prost, etc); you do wonder what calibre of drivers will move to the new series.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 11411
photoshopped wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

Formula E?

Very interesting suggestion. With the big names starting to put their weight/money behind the series (Andretti, Prost, etc); you do wonder what calibre of drivers will move to the new series.


I'm still pretty convinced it will be a field of drivers that have either been ousted from F1, or that have been driving in GP2/FR3.5/... and won't secure a seat in F1.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 13782
mds wrote:
photoshopped wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

Formula E?

Very interesting suggestion. With the big names starting to put their weight/money behind the series (Andretti, Prost, etc); you do wonder what calibre of drivers will move to the new series.


I'm still pretty convinced it will be a field of drivers that have either been ousted from F1, or that have been driving in GP2/FR3.5/... and won't secure a seat in F1.


Which I think would be good. There is definitely a gap in the market for senior single seater drivers that isn't F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4777
mikeyg123 wrote:
mds wrote:
photoshopped wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Marcus Ericsson now. GP2 is over for him, and F1 is not going to happen. Where will he go? The US? DTM?

Formula E?

Very interesting suggestion. With the big names starting to put their weight/money behind the series (Andretti, Prost, etc); you do wonder what calibre of drivers will move to the new series.


I'm still pretty convinced it will be a field of drivers that have either been ousted from F1, or that have been driving in GP2/FR3.5/... and won't secure a seat in F1.


Which I think would be good. There is definitely a gap in the market for senior single seater drivers that isn't F1.

Just took a quick look to see if anybody has announced driver selections yet and can't find any confirmed driver signings.

But was surprised to find that Super Aguri has joined the series! I would have though that would have made a bigger splash in the media to where I might have heard it somewhere.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26932
Tufty wrote:
Brilliant Sunday drive from Calado. Hope he gets the FI seat next year.

As for Saturday, I'm amazed nothing was made of the ridiculous inner kerbs after Lancaster turned the chicane and Dillmann's head into a multi-story car park.

The only problem with Calado getting a race seat at FI is that he's been slower than the race drivers thus far in practice

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4777
pokerman wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Brilliant Sunday drive from Calado. Hope he gets the FI seat next year.

As for Saturday, I'm amazed nothing was made of the ridiculous inner kerbs after Lancaster turned the chicane and Dillmann's head into a multi-story car park.

The only problem with Calado getting a race seat at FI is that he's been slower than the race drivers thus far in practice

But who knows what's being asked of him during those practice runs. They could just be asking him to do consistent runs to shake the car down after being reassembled at the track.

And don't break it of course.

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26932
RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Brilliant Sunday drive from Calado. Hope he gets the FI seat next year.

As for Saturday, I'm amazed nothing was made of the ridiculous inner kerbs after Lancaster turned the chicane and Dillmann's head into a multi-story car park.

The only problem with Calado getting a race seat at FI is that he's been slower than the race drivers thus far in practice

But who knows what's being asked of him during those practice runs. They could just be asking him to do consistent runs to shake the car down after being reassembled at the track.

And don't break it of course.

Well he spun off in the Indian practice session, i would say he was trying quite hard to close the 7 tenths gap to Sutil

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2936
So Raffaele Marciello - fresh from winning almost half the races en-route to the F3 Championship - has been absolutely flying in GP2/FR3.5 collective testing, ahead of moving to at least one of the two series. He topped day one in GP2 testing, finished 3rd on day two and 4th in day three, before going fastest in both of the first two FR3.5 test days, by .583 on day one and .452 on day two. Seems like whichever series he races in next year, he could be fighting for the title. Very curious as to which one Ferrari put him in, or if they just run him in both (not like they don't have the money, and the schedules don't overlap).

_________________
Cheering for: Leclerc, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1st x1, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 10th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:53 pm
Posts: 47
Well considering how Calado was mathematically in the hunt till the final round this year, I think he will do it next year. It is to be remembered that Calado had a damaged chassis that was not detected for a number of rounds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26932
Mike_69 wrote:
Well considering how Calado was mathematically in the hunt till the final round this year, I think he will do it next year. It is to be remembered that Calado had a damaged chassis that was not detected for a number of rounds.

Will Calado be given another season in GP2?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7225
pokerman wrote:
Mike_69 wrote:
Well considering how Calado was mathematically in the hunt till the final round this year, I think he will do it next year. It is to be remembered that Calado had a damaged chassis that was not detected for a number of rounds.

Will Calado be given another season in GP2?

I wouldnt be surprised to see him win GP2 next year and get a Force India drive for 2015.

They have been clearly impressed with him since the YDT.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 26932
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mike_69 wrote:
Well considering how Calado was mathematically in the hunt till the final round this year, I think he will do it next year. It is to be remembered that Calado had a damaged chassis that was not detected for a number of rounds.

Will Calado be given another season in GP2?

I wouldnt be surprised to see him win GP2 next year and get a Force India drive for 2015.

They have been clearly impressed with him since the YDT.

Well he's always been slower than the race drivers plus his sponsors are paying for him to be the reserve driver

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Rockie and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group