planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:41 pm
Posts: 174
Can anyone explain to me why the Force India owner Vijay Mallya insists on waiting to the end of december before he decides who will race for Force India next year?

"Everybody knows I make the decision at the last minute - well not the last minute - I make the decision after the Force India Christmas party which means in December," Mallya said. "I see no reason to change it. Yes, I have received approaches from other drivers but they all know that decision time will be in December."

At that time all other top- or midfield teams will have signed their drivers for 2014, so either you win one of the last remaining seats with Force India, or you are out of Formula 1. No driver with any common sense will turn down a seat with Lotus, Sauber or Williams to participate in such a game of Russian roulette, so to me it seems obvious that the only drivers left to sign at that time will be the drivers other teams couldn't use.

But Vijay Mallya is no fool, so there must be some intelligent reasoning behind waiting so long to sign his drivers. Can anyone enlighten me?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:08 pm
Posts: 1196
I would imagine it's a calculated risk based on the fact FI are not realistically attracting the top tier along with the fact that there are usually more seats than good drivers, which lets face it looks pretty good this year. With Hulk, Perez, Di Resta, Maldonado all looking for the final places he's unlikely to lose out, plus the publicity surrounding potentially a number of respected drivers chasing the FI seat does them no harm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5216
Location: Mumbai, India
You were a tad too late in bringing this about as there is a topic that discussed this issue:-

http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5763&hilit=Lineup

Most of us were left scratching our heads last year thinking who would be Di Resta's team mate.

Only before the pre season test started, was Sutil announced for the 2nd seat. That's HOW late VJM can be in deciding the lineup.

This year, there are many good prospects in the market. Even though it's his tradition of choosing a driver late, he may this time shoot a bullet in his foot if the best drivers that are lurking in the market are taken or have left for some other alternative.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am
Posts: 894
Available drivers get more desperate and negotiations go better.
Chances are you also get top class drivers who seats are taken by paid drivers.
They dont really want paid drivers, nor can they afford Lewis, Alonso, Vettel so they are in no hurry, but they can wait for an underated driver that can probably match the top three.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 2649
I think a lot of it comes down to where FI are as a constructor. It's kind of like there are three pools of drivers. One pool is for the big teams, drivers Force India couldn't attract at the moment. Then there's a second pool of drivers, like Hulkenberg and Maldonado, which overlaps with the first pool in the sense that Hulkenberg/Maldonado could end up at a top team, but if they don't, then FI become a more likely destination. And then there's a third pool of drivers which teams such as Caterham and Marussia are looking at, and are basically guys below what FI could have, so aren't going to be drivers they consider. And by being in the middle pool, there aren't that many drivers who would sign with FI while there's a better seat available, so they end up waiting on everybody else before they can make their own decision.

Not sure I explained that as well as it appeared in my head, but yeah!

_________________
Cheering for: Massa, Hulkenberg, Vandoorne
Pick 10 | 1 win, 10 podiums
2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Belgium
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
I think a lot of it comes down to where FI are as a constructor. It's kind of like there are three pools of drivers. One pool is for the big teams, drivers Force India couldn't attract at the moment. Then there's a second pool of drivers, like Hulkenberg and Maldonado, which overlaps with the first pool in the sense that Hulkenberg/Maldonado could end up at a top team, but if they don't, then FI become a more likely destination. And then there's a third pool of drivers which teams such as Caterham and Marussia are looking at, and are basically guys below what FI could have, so aren't going to be drivers they consider. And by being in the middle pool, there aren't that many drivers who would sign with FI while there's a better seat available, so they end up waiting on everybody else before they can make their own decision.

Not sure I explained that as well as it appeared in my head, but yeah!


Summed up well even though Force India was the last team to announce its drivers for 2013. Bianchi was the last one to get a seat but that was only because Razia's deal with Marussia failed due to sponsorship issues.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm
Posts: 320
because in December all the free drivers that are left dont have huge salary demands.

He also likes to screw with peoples minds :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 pm
Posts: 346
Ill say because the team is a mid strength team, there isnt the pressure to to sign a top ranking driver thats hugely in demand. As a result, there are many many drivers capable of driving for the team and so by delaying it you have more negotiating power as by then there are very few seats left in F1. When you add maybe, 15 serious contenders from other F1 drivers, rally and the lower racing series you can afford to be choosy..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5216
Location: Mumbai, India
wolfie81 wrote:
Ill say because the team is a mid strength team, there isnt the pressure to to sign a top ranking driver thats hugely in demand. As a result, there are many many drivers capable of driving for the team and so by delaying it you have more negotiating power as by then there are very few seats left in F1. When you add maybe, 15 serious contenders from other F1 drivers, rally and the lower racing series you can afford to be choosy..


As mentioned in the Silly Season Uber thread, Sutil has apparently signed a new contract for 2014, which he had admitted.

He has not specified its Force India due to restrictions, but it's quite early for Force India to sign a driver so early up.

Wonder whether Di Resta, Perez, Hulk or Maldonado will occupy the 2nd seat?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:16 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Belgium
UnlikeUday wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:
Ill say because the team is a mid strength team, there isnt the pressure to to sign a top ranking driver thats hugely in demand. As a result, there are many many drivers capable of driving for the team and so by delaying it you have more negotiating power as by then there are very few seats left in F1. When you add maybe, 15 serious contenders from other F1 drivers, rally and the lower racing series you can afford to be choosy..


As mentioned in the Silly Season Uber thread, Sutil has apparently signed a new contract for 2014, which he had admitted.

He has not specified its Force India due to restrictions, but it's quite early for Force India to sign a driver so early up.

Wonder whether Di Resta, Perez, Hulk or Maldonado will occupy the 2nd seat?


Hard to cheer on FI if they keep re-signing Sutil. Not a bad driver but Di Resta did better overall and he wasn't that impressive either. Unlucky maybe in the first half of the season, one cannot simply ignore the points difference between Di Resta and Sutil. Sutil is lucky that Mallya and FI rate him or like him, because no one else isn't interested in him. Sutil reminds me a bit of Pierluigi Martini, who bar 1 season spent his whole F1 career with the same team which was Minardi. Martini never scored a podium in 118 races curently holding that record. Sutil hasn't one either in 108 soon 109 attempts. At least that's a record he can go for if he really does have a drive next year.

_________________
F1 fan since 1989
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 2812
£££

_________________
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 2499
Or $$$

Or
Image

_________________
Where I'm going, I don't need roads


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 1242
I have a feeling that, in addition to much of the above, Mallya quite likes the drama and publicity that comes with being one of the last teams to confirm.

It wouldn't surprise me if usually the deals were done well before the actual public conformation.

_________________
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 am
Posts: 726
I like Force India they have a nice record of promoting young drivers to drive their cars but for some silly reason they delay their driver line up, I think the announcement should be made before their Christmas so that the drivers can go if they want to and the team can celebrate!

However in some ways Vijay Mallya has a hard decision to make does he re sign Sutil and Di Resta?

If I was him (I'm not I know) it is a hard choice because lets be honest neither of them have impressed (me) this year, so this would be my choice.

Nico Hulkenburg
James Calado or Sam Bird (I'm not sure who)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:02 pm
Posts: 69
Because he can :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fantaribo, Google Adsense [Bot], Liket, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group