planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:19 pm 

A common complaint these days is that young drivers cannot be easily evaluated by F1 teams due to the lack of testing opportunities. No testing also hinders the tyre supplier's ability to evaluate new compounds and structures, while also making it more difficult for teams lagging behind in car development to catch up to the front-runners. People have mooted ideas of limited in-season testing as a solution for many of these problems, but I have not seen (perhaps missed) a discussion on specific ideas, so I'll just throw in a few ideas of my own.

1. An additional 10 days of testing during the year. These will be split into five 2-day tests on Tuesday and Wednesday immediately following a Grand Prix (to save on transportation costs). Of course this is only when there is no race coming up the following weekend - in 2013 for instance, China, Bahrain, Hungary, Italy and Japan could be viable options.

2. All teams can race the latest cars, but only young drivers (let's define them as having raced in less than 10 grand prix) will be allowed to participate.

3. The tyre manufacturer will provide at least two types of tyre - one of which will be a prototype while the others can be the ones being used during the season. Teams should use the prototype for at least 30 timed laps.

There are of course some issues with this. Firstly testing is expensive and the smaller teams may rely on CVC loosening their purse strings a little (call me a dreamer). Perhaps 6 or 8 test days would be a good start. Does someone have an idea how much 1 day of testing costs? Another drawback is with point #2 where in the first half of 2014, McLaren and Red Bull could "evaluate" Magnussen and Kvyat, but I consider this a minor issue.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 pm 

Great post! I'd be in favour of a return to in season testing even if it was limited. I think Ferrari and McLaren have suffered because of this.
It would be good for the reserve/ young drivers etc. Would dropping a race from the calender off set the costs?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 am 

Don't have time to look it up right now but they are something akin to number 1 starting next year.
I'll check the sporting regs tomorrow to get the specifics.