planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 am 

sennafan24 wrote:
I would not mind a film on Nelson as I know nothing about his past if I am honest.

Then how can you be a Senna fan? :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm 

So because you are a fan of someone means you cannot be a fan of someone else? That's reeeal mature.

I am an avid Michael Schumacher fan, but I LOVE Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Hamilton, Alonso, Barrichello, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Kimi, JV, and a slew of countless others over the decades. As for teams, I like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Sauber (my darling team since Peter stepped in and saved them from folding), and while I hated them beating Ferrari and Michael in 2005 & 2006, I really liked renault a whole lot. Competition like that, dueling it out in every facet, exploiting every advantage and killing themselves, working tirelessly to out develop one another throughout the entire season. Just brilliant. The epic inter team battle between Prost and Senna, the way Piquet won, the way Arnoux and Villeneuve battled it out for NOT 1st place, the way Lauda against all odds threw caution to the wind and got back in a car whilst still ailing from the sever burns, the way Michael stormed on the scene the way Prost switched to a then dismal Ferrari and almost won the championship only to have it all end in turmoil… so many DIFFERENT THING to love about the sport, it's a waste to limit oneself to supporting a mere few individuals and/or teams and by doing so you're really cheating yourself on a great many wonderful things.

A true fan of the sport learns to appreciate all these things and cheer for their favorite team when they're winning and congratulate and appreciate other teams when they win. Sure you might feel a bit bitter, but they ALL (drivers and crews alike) work their buts off to be the best and come out on top and that is something to be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm 

Covalent wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:
I would not mind a film on Nelson as I know nothing about his past if I am honest.

I am a Senna fan for what I have seen in retrospect, I am only 25 so was not old enough to live through most of his Lotus and Toleman days.

I learnt about Senna through book, internet and watching old races. If I am honest, I am no expert on F1 pre-1988 when Nelson was at his most prominent so I would love to learn more.

I still like Nelson though from the footage I have seen of him, a film about his early life would be welcomed by me as I would like to learn more about him.

As said above, you can like drivers who are different or in direct competition with each other. Hence, I enjoy Lewis, Alonso, Kimi, Jenson and even Vettel today. I grew up liking both Miki and Schumi, and still liked Schumi when Montoya became my favorite. Also, I can appreciate the greatness of Prost from watching old footage as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm 

the incubus wrote:
So because you are a fan of someone means you cannot be a fan of someone else? That's reeeal mature.

I am an avid Michael Schumacher fan, but I LOVE Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Hamilton, Alonso, Barrichello, Massa, Vettel, Webber, Kimi, JV, and a slew of countless others over the decades. As for teams, I like Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Sauber (my darling team since Peter stepped in and saved them from folding), and while I hated them beating Ferrari and Michael in 2005 & 2006, I really liked renault a whole lot. Competition like that, dueling it out in every facet, exploiting every advantage and killing themselves, working tirelessly to out develop one another throughout the entire season. Just brilliant. The epic inter team battle between Prost and Senna, the way Piquet won, the way Arnoux and Villeneuve battled it out for NOT 1st place, the way Lauda against all odds threw caution to the wind and got back in a car whilst still ailing from the sever burns, the way Michael stormed on the scene the way Prost switched to a then dismal Ferrari and almost won the championship only to have it all end in turmoil… so many DIFFERENT THING to love about the sport, it's a waste to limit oneself to supporting a mere few individuals and/or teams and by doing so you're really cheating yourself on a great many wonderful things.

A true fan of the sport learns to appreciate all these things and cheer for their favorite team when they're winning and congratulate and appreciate other teams when they win. Sure you might feel a bit bitter, but they ALL (drivers and crews alike) work their buts off to be the best and come out on top and that is something to be appreciated.

I think you got me wrong, my point is that can you be a real fan of a driver if you know nothing about the opposition he faced? Can you e.g. be a Häkkinen fan without knowing anything about Schumacher? I don't even know how you could conclude from my post that you can be a fan of one driver only, but maybe I'm too immature.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:

I am a Senna fan for what I have seen in retrospect, I am only 25 so was not old enough to live through most of his Lotus and Toleman days.

I learnt about Senna through book, internet and watching old races. If I am honest, I am no expert on F1 pre-1988 when Nelson was at his most prominent so I would love to learn more.

I still like Nelson though from the footage I have seen of him, a film about his early life would be welcomed by me as I would like to learn more about him.

As said above, you can like drivers who are different or in direct competition with each other. Hence, I enjoy Lewis, Alonso, Kimi, Jenson and even Vettel today. I grew up liking both Miki and Schumi, and still liked Schumi when Montoya became my favorite. Also, I can appreciate the greatness of Prost from watching old footage as well.

Cheers, sounds like it was an understatement from your part to say you know nothing about Nelson as you've watched him race! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm 

I said I knew nothing about his past. Meaning how he got to F1, previous posts in this thread makes it sound like there is a story worth telling about that alone.

Sorry if I did not make that more clear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:
I said I knew nothing about his past. Meaning how he got to F1, previous posts in this thread makes it sound like there is a story worth telling about that alone.

Sorry if I did not make that more clear.

Ah, I though past = the time before this Ford Fusion GP, my bad!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

the incubus wrote:

Planet F1's post of the month!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

the incubus wrote:
Someone please make a movie on him! LOL

It would be a comedy, and far more entertaining than the Senna film, i bet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm 

flavio81 wrote:
the incubus wrote:
Someone please make a movie on him! LOL

It would be a comedy, and far more entertaining than the Senna film, i bet.

Yes it was really comical when he said that Mansell's wife was ugly :uhoh:

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:13 pm 

See I always felt Nelson was tongue in cheek with his insults. He said some inappropriate things, but they were done in a such a way I could not take them that seriously.

Its done in other sports as well, Chael Sonnen in UFC and Ali in Boxing.