planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am 

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?! There are so many younger and more talented drivers, Kobayashi for one springs to mind!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:18 am 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105129

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am 

rjca92 wrote:
Can anyone explain the logic behind this?! There are so many younger and more talented drivers, Kobayashi for one springs to mind!

De la Rosa is a very good simmulator & test driver + he has experience with Pirelli, McLaren & Sauber
He is said to give very good feedback, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 am 

That's true, just seems like an opportunity that could have gone to better use. I'm not trying to insult de la Rosa but, I just think that he's past it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 am 

rjca92 wrote:
That's true, just seems like an opportunity that could have gone to better use. I'm not trying to insult de la Rosa but, I just think that he's past it.

But a development role is not one for an inexperienced driver... PDR will be using all his existing experience to feedback to Ferrari with. He'll know better what is going on and what to say to the team about his work in the simulator.

Also, it's not really a role where you have to be as fast as Alonso... Just consistent enough to produce accurate results that can help the team to develop the car properly...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 am 

I read somewhere once about test drivers not even needing to be particularly fast. A driver that is able to "drive around" problems, as some are supposedly able to do, has less value as a test driver than one who is very sensitive to change and is able to articulate those changes.

The media always seem to gush about PDLR's abilities as a test driver. It seems McLaren/Merc/Williams' loss is Ferrari's gain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
rjca92 wrote:

I don't think many would disagree if it were a race seat. But the requirements placed on a development driver are very different. It doesn't matter if you're half a second slower than someone else, it's all down to how you feel and understand the cause and effect of developments, and how well you communicate that understanding. You also need to be able to take a proactive approach to finding solutions in the simulator, something a driver like Kobayashi doesn't seem to have the nature to do, and certainly doesn't have the experience for. And in this case, I suspect, how much experience you have of the legendary McLaren sim was pretty important. McLaren wanted him back for that reason alone, and Perez was also pushing to get him re-hired. Apparently dlR had his pick of the teams.

of Alice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am 

De La Rosa and Gené together? LoL Imagine that Felipe falls apart in mid-season...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 am 

I concede that for development purposes de la Rosa is a good bet. My reaction was a little rash since I thought of all the drivers who are losing their seats this year, would have loved to see someone else get the opportunity. With Gene in the team already, I expected a new face, someone who at least has a shot at a drive for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:51 am 

Last time Alonso and De La Rosa were in the same team together it benefited Ferrari too...

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Last time Alonso and De La Rosa were in the same team together it benefited Ferrari too...

Haha I was gonna say Alonso and De La Rosa have worked with Ferrari data before so he's a good choice.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
rjca92 wrote:
I concede that for development purposes de la Rosa is a good bet. My reaction was a little rash since I thought of all the drivers who are losing their seats this year, would have loved to see someone else get the opportunity. With Gene in the team already, I expected a new face, someone who at least has a shot at a drive for Ferrari.

I know what you mean. It seems to me that the testing ban is creating more problems than just the obvious one of rookies not getting enough time in the car. It's made experience extremely valuable, a good thing in some ways but it creates a blockage in the pipeline as the new generation of test drivers are passed over (due to relative inexperience) in favour of re-employing the last generation again.

But there's also been a fundamental change in the type of experience that's of value. de la Rosa may never test an F1 car for Ferrari, he will be a simulator driver. That in itself requires a specific set of talents in addition to those of a 'real' test driver, one that drivers in smaller teams will never get a chance to develop due to their sims being primitive or non-existant.

It's a viscious circle and, IMO, a great shame and a big problem. A rookie today will get very little pre and in-season testing, which means he has to compete without finding his feet, which means he may not impress or maximise his potential, which means he may get dropped. Once dropped he will be lacking the setup, race and (for many) simulator experience to be of any value as a test, reserve or 'development' (i.e. simulator) driver. It also means that what little testing a rookie does get to do has to be focused very narrowly. Usually a Friday is spent focusing on overcoming a specific problem for that specific track. There's no time for the broad grounding in the art of setting up and developing a car that is so important to developing a fully rounded F1 driver. Great shame.

Edit: All this also means even top teams like Ferrari and McLaren don't have a reserve driver you'd ever want to drop into a race weekend. It's far more important their backups can give feedback on a sim than drive an actual F1 car fast.

of Alice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:23 am 

A good choice. Glad he's sticking around in F1, even if it is back in a development role. He's got great experience with lots of different cars and is well known for providing great feedback on car development.

It'd be a very dumb move to put a rookie in that kind of role as they have no experience, and no idea how the car should be handling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:24 am 

mcdo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Haha I was gonna say Alonso and De La Rosa have worked with Ferrari data before so he's a good choice.

Perhaps this time round they will be working with McLaren data at Ferrari!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm 

rjca92 wrote:

He has vast experience in testing car in both track and simulator. And for testing you don't need fast or talented driver. Talented driver can unwittingly work around some problems on track and still get decent lap times, while less talented driver will tell team that car is underivable and what is wrong with it.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm 

Gimax wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Coughlan is at Williams these days! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 pm 

Gimax wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

They have become mates with Hamilton ....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Yes it sort of shows the hypocrisy of Ferrari in their idignation regarding spygate

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Yes it sort of shows the hypocrisy of Ferrari in their idignation regarding spygate

No, it merely indicates what a small role both of them played in McLarengate. They were but bit players in the scandal, not cause of or major impact of the scandal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Well no. I believe Ferrari were pissed at McLaren personnel but not their drivers.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
I read somewhere once about test drivers not even needing to be particularly fast. A driver that is able to "drive around" problems, as some are supposedly able to do, has less value as a test driver than one who is very sensitive to change and is able to articulate those changes.

The media always seem to gush about PDLR's abilities as a test driver. It seems McLaren/Merc/Williams' loss is Ferrari's gain.

This was said about Schumacher and Irvine at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:44 pm 

I like Pedro, and I'm glad he got a job. While he is old, I am a fan of his. I think he'll be a good addition for simulator work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:

This was said about Schumacher and Irvine at Ferrari.

There was a story about Schui testing a car and saying it was great. Eddie got in it and said the back end was solid.

the engineers went back, re done their maths and discovered they had made a boo boo when working out the angles and leverages meaning the back suspension was basically solid.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm 

I'm pretty sure Alonso had a role to play in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm 

Alan Jones, the best test driver to win the world championship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Alan Jones, the best test driver to win the world championship.

A lot of people would say that was Damon Hill tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:30 pm 

You don't get any points for winning any time trials in a simulator. Going as fast as Hamilton, or Alonso is irrelevant in setup and design, it's about discovering exactly what the car is doing, and working out the problems. For that, the best choice is an experienced driver who knows how to be part of the development team.

Additionally, if for any reason Massa or Alonso are unable to drive, at least they have a chance of filling their seats temporarily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm 

They have many choices in the immediate family for filling a seat in an emergency, and even more in the extended family. Probably has nothing to do with it. The work on the 2014 cars will be in higher gear this season than last, what could you want more than a driver with experience across many, many eras of regulations and an established testing work ethic? Perfect choice IMO, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a fight over ol' Pedro. Ferrari is definitely where I would have gone too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:58 pm 

I thought he would have ended up back at Macca.

It's actually a shame he didn't go to Caterham or Marussia to help development. But then once burned etc etc.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 am 

This is intresting to me because I was expecting Pedro to go back to Macca, but this seemed like to go to Ferrari with fellow countryman in Alonso and Gene.

A fantastic testing driver and I would guess he is there to attempt to help iron out any issues, but exactly how much can De La Rosa assist in the new Ferrari? Also, considering the new Ferrari will be fully developed in Cologne at Toyota's wind tunnel. I'm guessing issues maybe reduced compared to last season to stop the excuse of the wind tunnel needing to be "Calibrated".

This also may lead to more sponsorship for Ferrari because a lot of smaller sponsorships from HRT may follow Pedro to Ferrari. Honestly, how Ferrari is concerned about money though? Good signing though for Ferrari and a great man to sign in PDLR.

Oh, I also forgot about his previous expereince in testing the tires... This is going to be intresting to see how Ferrari will do with great test drivers in Gene and De La Rosa.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 am 

So what does this mean for Fisichella?

Podiums: 4
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 am 

specdecible wrote:
So what does this mean for Fisichella?

I think he raced some Ferrari for some independent team at Le Mans. He still may be on Ferrari payroll, but he is not involved in F1 since the end of 2010 season.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm 

PDLR is a good addition to Ferrari, a very solid test driver.

What happened to Sail Fishichella? I miss the sharp featured bugger.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm 

Fisi has been driving for AF Corse (works Ferrari team) in the WEC. He'll been in the AIM Motorsport entry at the Rolex 24 in a few weeks, and I assume the AF Corse car at Bathurst after that but not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 pm 

A great idea. I like PdLR.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm 

Great decision by Ferrari. I am totally suprised though as I did expect him to go back to McLaren especially as they now have a totally new driver.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 pm 

To be honest it would be entertaining if they offer the test drive position to Rubens. It would be amusing to see someone whining about a simulator...

Supporting N#2s since 1995.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm 

Test driving for Ferrari is a pretty good gig, plenty of stuff in the Ferrari road cars, PR rides for journalists etc, Corse Clienti days, lots of F1 car demos etc. They keep pretty busy, not just all day in the simulator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm 

Woody_247 wrote:
To be honest it would be entertaining if they offer the test drive position to Rubens. It would be amusing to see someone whining about a simulator...

you taking lessons? Whining about Rubens whining?
;)