planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

In which driver's hands would you put your life?
Fernando Alonso 33%  33%  [ 31 ]
Lewis Hamilton 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Kimi Raikkonen 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
Sebastian Vettel 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Jenson Button 16%  16%  [ 15 ]
Mark Webber 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sergio Perez 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nico Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 93
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:03 pm 

So, basic stuff here guys. Imagine a series of 10 races on a given track,not one that really exists though. The cars are identical but can be set up for driver preference. A race weekend includes both qualifying and the race. Basically, the only differing factor is the drivers. Your survival lies in the hands of one driver, who must become champion after these 10 races, with points scored just like in F1. So who will drive for your life?

Think carefully about the following:

One lap pace, Race pace, strategic ability, tyre management, etc.

Here's another crucial fact; the driver you pick will be told "YOU, DRIVER X, ARE DRIVING FOR MR.Y's LIFE." So take "mental strength" into consideration too.

So think carefully, and vote wisely :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm 

Didn't read Vettel originally! This headache will settle soon!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

Last edited by SilverstoneRegular on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:07 pm 

Besides that I wouldn't put my life in anyone's hand but my own

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 pm 

thats what i was going to say where am i in the list 8O

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 pm 

Silverstone Regular: Vettel is on the list. Please check again. Try the fourth option. Also, just to be clear, few people on here would really place their lives in someone else's hands, but then again we all fight for our favorite drivers like our lives actually depended on it! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

Oh, I was hoping it would be "who would you trust enough to ride with?" As is, I chose the one who hasn't choked in a title fight yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:16 pm 

Haha, perhaps next time I'll add an option that says "I'd rather back myself to charge around in an F1 car at over 300 kmh, ignoring the option of choosing someone who gets paid millions to do it and does it every second weekend." ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 pm 

Not everyone on that list is paid millions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm 

Oh ashley, I have such respect for your posts and honestly read all of them, usually agreeing. Can't you just get this little joke?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 pm 

I get the joke, but its based on an inaccuracy (according to reported 2012 figures) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 pm 

Sharkattack wrote:
Oh ashley, I have such respect for your posts and honestly read all of them, usually agreeing. Can't you just get this little joke?

she is still looking for Scott Speed on the list :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

Scott will save me :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

Haha oh yeah, I remember something about her trying to have him Speed voted the best driver of all times!

Anyway seriously though ashley, according to the 2012 figures, who got what?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm 

There's a thread here, probably several, with some figures. IIRC the Hulk came in around $600k. Dunno what he's making at Sauber. Koba was paid a million and change there, and Perez about the same as Hulk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm 

It was a toss up between Webber and Button for me. However maybe I thought about it a bit too much.

My thinking was more along the lines of "Ok these drivers have been told that if they loose, someone dies."

My immediate thought there was that Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso would be fighting like crazy, at least 2 of them will crash out. Webber and Button being 'seasoned' drivers, sit there, watch and wait, and bide their time.

I wouldnt be trusting Kimi as he'd likely just think "chocolate fudge cake it he can die, I know what I'm doing".

Both Perez and Hulk wouldnt be able to handle something like this IMO.

It boiled down to the mentality of the driver for me. For many drivers I think it'd be too much, but Button and Webber could probably handle it. Alonso? Mabe, maybe. Between Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel, Alonso is certainly the better thinker, but I just still feel the older boys would take this one.

Nice game btw :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 pm 

Rick M, thanks for that, and thanks for taking the time to think about your answer :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

See I initially thought the laid back, see how it goes kind of guy would be the wise choice too...but if you sit back and wait and the kids in front don't trip over each other, you still end up dead. So I say go for the gamble and race your race, focus on yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 pm 

RickM wrote:
It was a toss up between Webber and Button for me. However maybe I thought about it a bit too much.

My thinking was more along the lines of "Ok these drivers have been told that if they loose, someone dies."

My immediate thought there was that Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso would be fighting like crazy, at least 2 of them will crash out. Webber and Button being 'seasoned' drivers, sit there, watch and wait, and bide their time.

I wouldnt be trusting Kimi as he'd likely just think "chocolate fudge cake it he can die, I know what I'm doing".

Both Perez and Hulk wouldnt be able to handle something like this IMO.

It boiled down to the mentality of the driver for me. For many drivers I think it'd be too much, but Button and Webber could probably handle it. Alonso? Mabe, maybe. Between Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel, Alonso is certainly the better thinker, but I just still feel the older boys would take this one.

Nice game btw :P

Webber is fast but i don't think he can deal with pressure, let alone the pressure of knowing someone's life is in your hands

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
I get the joke, but its based on an inaccuracy (according to reported 2012 figures) ;)

I'll bite, always fun to poke a pedant.

He did not state a currency... Yen?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm 

Edit: didn't read the description properly! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

lamo wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

I'll bite, always fun to poke a pedant.

He did not state a currency... Yen?

If we're talking Yen, then I have been paid millions to drive a racing car too :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:04 pm 

:-)
I think everyone on that list should be over a million in $, I guess Hulk is the question mark. But with a new deal at Sauber I think he will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm 

I voted like Ashley.

However, I would have voted for Sato if I could...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:45 pm 

very simply - I'd probably have to say Hamilton, simply because given the apparent equal status of the cars and everything except the drivers - one would assume they will be very very equal on pace (as most drivers are) - but in order to win in that situation you would need to be able to overtake others - and in that list, I'd say Hamilton would be the most likely to achieve that more often than not(especially since Massa isn't there!) LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 pm 

Don't fail me Fernando.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:16 pm 

Safest path is choosing the one who didn't fail last three years.

There would be only two alternatives, and than strong ones; Hamilton comes close, and Alonso is sharp as never before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 pm 

I voted for Kimi. He wouldn't give a thing about my life and run as always =D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:37 pm 

I assumed the "drive for your life" part was to remove all bias from the poster, a plot device? So the driver would have no idea a life rested on it.

Either way if my life/house/etc etc were on it in a straight 10 race fight and all variables to do with luck removed (reliability, SCs ruining races) so a nice clean fight I would go for Alonso. He can keep out of trouble and score big. Not sure if Vettel and Hamilton can keep out of trouble enough in a 10 race title fight. 2 DNFs are title hopes are gone.

Edit - I should read the OP fully in future :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 pm 

with equal equipment and no breakdowns etc then it has to be Alonso or Hamilton, both tried and tested against each other and are proven against solid drivers, Vettel would probably be 3rd choice but simply because he hasnt had a tough team mate so difficult to know how good he is compared to the others who have proven themselves against solid team mates

Last edited by FormulaFun on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 pm 

Alonso or Seb for me. Probably Alonso, because if Seb won and saved my life, but then started singing the Crazy Frog song in celebration, well, that might actually be a fate worse than death...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm 

Can I stake my ex's life? Maybe in Maldonado's hands? Ah c'mon...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 am 

I wouldn't put my life in any of those driver's hands; I'd only put my life in Senna or Michael Schumacher's hands because they are the only drivers I believe would do anything on track and off to ensure victory.

Of those drivers I'd go for Alonso or Vettel equally. Alonso is IMO still marginally the better driver in terms of the actual mechanics of driving with his greater experience so far but Vettel is just about there and is tougher mentally so would be less likely to give up.

Having said that I'd also want to investigate the car the drivers are given and make a judgement about who it would suit best. Any of the first four might be a prospect there. If they were all driving cars that suited them perfectly then it's back to Alonso and Vettel.

The driver's I'd never go for are the bottom four who IMO simply don't stand a chance at this stage in beating all of the first four regardless of the car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 am 

So who's consistently fast but unlikely to succumb to the pressure of actually saving someone's life? I voted Kimi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 am 

Kimi, Seb...that's it for now. In 2 years time, I would add my third fav, Perez to the list, but he has to get a bit more experience first.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 am 

I've got for Lewis. He never gives up (except in Hockenheim with a puncture) and his qualifying ability should put him at the front at the start, which is always important. The only worry is the pressure might make him make mistakes...

Second option would have to be Vettel, as his qualifying is also impressive, though I'm not sure how he'd stack up in equal cars, and I think his hastiness can get the better of him if things don't go his own way.

Button would be bet three.

Alonso would likely sacrifice me for the title, I'd be expendable in his charge. If he isn't winning it'd be down to me for not providing him enough support, because he's a samurai and he knows it's not his fault if he didn't win.

Kimi would not give a fairy cakes about me, I've mocked and moaned about him far too many times for him to consider me worth saving. Though if I'd of been a fan and not criticised him on a regular basis, his consistency and irregular speed would be good.

Webber's starts would kill me watching from the sidelines.

I'd rather die than be saved by Perez.

I'd like to think Hulk wouldn't let me down, given he's my fave, but I can't gaurantee that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:09 am 

Kimi is a good shout. He very rarely crashes out.

Vettel, Alonso and Button all seem like great shouts too.

Imagine a Vettel pole lap when you were on board, be properly terrifyingly exhilarating. (admittedly, I doubt you'd notice the small time difference from one lap to another so applies to them all).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am 

Kimi would just walk over shoot you and say "problem solved"

I voted Hamilton based on what I saw in 2012, his consistency was their - the car reliability was not.

But it all depends on the type of car their all driving as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 am 
Kimi. He knows what he's doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am 

i didn't vote because i'd say 2 , lewis and kimi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Oh, I was hoping it would be "who would you trust enough to ride with?" As is, I chose the one who hasn't choked in a title fight yet.

2009?

Anyhow, if you exclude the possibility of collisions I'd choose Hamilton who would take it on outright pace but he is a risk-taker and one false move...well it's my life :) so I'll choose the safer but still effective Alonso.