planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm 

F1 Racing writes in its latest issue that as Alonso and Ferrari re-negotiated their contract at the end of last season, they put in a clause which will prevent Ferrari from making a contract with Vettel while Alonso is in the team.
I haven't read the magazine myself so if someone could confirm this or post a link it'd be great.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 pm 

Would not surprise me at all, he doesn't want another 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 pm 

I dare say Vettel has a similar clause in his contract.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm 

Its not at all surprising. History has many instances where the lead driver usually doesnt allow an equally good driver in the same team. Frankly speaking I think it would make sense because you will have stability in the team as Luca had said once. Rather than have ego clashes, it will be better to have a clear No1 and No2 drivers. Ferrari has a worked very well that way. I dont see a reason why it should all change

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 pm 

It could be just rumour of course, but increasingly one gets the impression that Fernando has forged his very own fief at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:44 pm 

Sorry Fernando but I still believe Vettel will be sitting in a Ferrari by 2015 at the latest.

If there's one thing we've learned from McLaren over the years it's that having two number 1 drivers at a front-running team just does not work. Sensible move by Alonso and Ferrari.

After all his media bluster about Vettel only winning because he has the best car and that he was fighting Newey for the title, and the mutual love-in between himself and Hamilton, I'm surprised it's not Hammy who has been vetoed.

Or perhaps he has. Perhaps he has a clause in his contract that says only driver's who have a subservient personality can be team-mate to the Mighty Eyebrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
More reason to believe Alonso has more common sense than most-- including most world leaders.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Its not at all surprising. History has many instances where the lead driver usually doesnt allow an equally good driver in the same team. Frankly speaking I think it would make sense because you will have stability in the team as Luca had said once. Rather than have ego clashes, it will be better to have a clear No1 and No2 drivers. Ferrari has a worked very well that way. I dont see a reason why it should all change

So why not veto Lewis? Hasn't Alonso put Vettel's success down to him driving a "rocket ship"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm 

Wouldn't fly in my team that's for sure...

"You want to make sure we don't sign another top driver? Well you'd better get the results then! ...Now go clean your pit garage before dinner."

;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:03 pm 

Nothing surprising here. Most people suspected that anyway. It makes sense too. The no 1 concept is tried and tested at Ferrari and their arch rival McLaren has demonstrated more than once what the other policy can cause. Alonso is not an idealist but a realist, and I believe Vettel is too. I don't see them ever driving together. As for Hamilton, he has inherited many traits from McLaren so he is just different.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm 

@COVALENT: When did Alonso say he wanted Lewis as a team mate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:31 pm 

Race2win wrote:

I don't know, did he?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Race2win wrote:

I don't know, did he?

Nope he didnt...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:08 pm 

After their 2007 love-in, I doubt very much if Hamilton wants to be Alonso's teammate again and Alonso knows that well enough. That is likely to be the reason why he has not asked for a clause to keep Hamilton out.

But I still believe that Vettel will be sitting in a Ferrari in 2015. Whether it is alongside Alonso it remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 pm 

The talk of Vettel joining Alonso was started by some Ferrari personnel, soon the media went into overdriver running with the story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 pm 

The talk of Vettel joining Alonso was started by some Ferrari personnel, soon the media went into overdrive running with the story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 pm 

The talk of Vettel joining Alonso was started by some Ferrari personnel, soon the media went into overdrive running with the story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 pm 

c*ck blocked? :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 pm 

Why would Vettel want to move from Red Bull, considering they've given him a title winning car three years in a row. Even if he doesn't win this year, I doubt he'd move. I can't see him moving unless they pull a Williams. Same with Alonso and Ferrari.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 pm 

I doubt there's a clause blocking Vettel coming to Ferrari in Alonso's contract. It's much more likely to be a clause blocking anybody who brings more than 6 tenths... :D

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 pm 

G1n wrote:
c*ck blocked? :)

Yeah, he blocked Vettel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

If Alonso doesn't rate Vettel very highly but just a winner thanks to Adrian Newey why is he so frightened of having Vettel in equal machinery?

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 pm 

Alonso is the most pathetic two faced person I have seen..All this time he kept saying he would have no qualms and would invite Vettel to be his teammate while belittling his achievements while he was quietly plotting to keep him away.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm 

schumilegend wrote:
Alonso is the most pathetic two faced person I have seen..All this time he kept saying he would have no qualms and would invite Vettel to be his teammate while belittling his achievements while he was quietly plotting to keep him away.

Calm down!!

It's obvious you wouldn't invite a strong competitor into your team an also you'd try mind games to rock his confidence through a hard fought season!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
schumilegend wrote:

Calm down!!

It's obvious you wouldn't invite a strong competitor into your team an also you'd try mind games to rock his confidence through a hard fought season!

plus name 1 top driver that has an equal team mate? Vettal doesn't, Button doesn't, Alonso deasn't, Kimmi doesn't, Hamilton doesn't. to say that Alonso is two faced shows any lack of understanding of drivers/teams and how this driver line up works.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 pm 

There's nothing new about this type of clause in a driver's contract......Prost had a similar clause back in 1993 to stop Frank Williams from signing Senna, and look what happened there. If Ferrari have their heart set on Vettel, they will get him eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm 

A few thoughts on this whole discussion.

1.) This is a media report, you have no proof that I have seen that it is even so. All of this hullabaloo is based on something that you do not even know for sure is true.

2.) We know even less about Alonso's contract than we do about whether or not he wants a "quality" teammate. He already has a quality teammate in Massa, who I hope show the form he showed over the second half of 2013.

3.) Even if #1 & #2 are true, so what? Team dynamics and chemistry are a very important aspect of a quality, competitive team. Why would Ferrari want to take a chance with that, especially if for some reason Alonso might not feel that Vettel is a good match for him?

IF... reemphasizing the word IF... Alonso does not want Vettel as a teammate, even that does not mean that he fears Vettel as a driver. Nor does it mean that he feels that he can more easily out-drive Hamilton or any other driver. It could simply be a case of Alonso would prefer driver A or B to driver C due to compatability.

Again... we just do not know for sure one way or the other... and if you can, prove me wrong. Good luck in that!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 pm 

Alonso haters say Alonso fans talks him up like he has super-powers to make a slow car fast.

But at the same time, they talk him up like he has super-powers to decide who will be his team-mate.

Sometimes I wonder who are the real ones thinking fantasy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 pm 

I probably imagine that not having Hamilton alongside him at Ferrari was in his first contract with Ferrari and now has deemed Vettel good enough to also be blocked :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am 

It was reported last month by BBC. The F1 Racing report is almost ctrl+c & v of this.

Ferrari rule out future Sebastian Vettel-Fernando Alonso pairing
Quote:
Ferrari's plan was said to have been for Vettel to join in 2014 - even though the German's Red Bull contract ran until the end of that season.
But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him.
Although Alonso will be 35 at the end of his current Ferrari contract, he is believed already to be discussing extending it.
Meanwhile, Vettel has consistently emphasised how happy he is at Red Bull and the triple world champion is expected to extend his contract with the team to the end of 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 am 

At this point, he could care less himself. Alonso does not have to worry. No top team would want two proven top dogs alongside each other after Senna - Prost debacle. Alonso - Hamilton was accident. Nobody could have predicted that.
So it is given that Ferrari wont bring in Vettel until they think Alonso is no longer their best bet for championship. But at the same time if Alonso OKays Vettel's move and he is available, they would sign him up.
In the end Ferrari cares about themselves first. If they can push out 7 time WDC, they can push out anyone.

In the end Alonso is operating at his top form at the moment. There wont be anyone he would be afraid of at this point in his career. I know I wouldnt if I just had a year like he did. As long as that is the case, Ferrari does not really have to seek out Vettel. He will come one day himself. Long time left in his career.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:42 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sorry Fernando but I still believe Vettel will be sitting in a Ferrari by 2015 at the latest.

Seems unlikely given Alonso's contract runs until 2016, if i'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 am 

Toby. wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Seems unlikely given Alonso's contract runs until 2016, if i'm not mistaken.

I think Vettel will be sitting alongside him.

No special reason just got a really strong hunch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 am 

Alonso almost beat Vettel last season in a much slower car, and see's Webber often out pacing Vettel so why on earth would he be afraid of him? Infact getting him out of a Newey car would be his best chance at winning the title.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 am 

Ferrari likes to have a clear #1 and #2 drivers. Alonso and Vettel are both #1 driver material. A repeat of 2007 is bound to happen if they are in the same team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 am 

2486970 wrote:
There's nothing new about this type of clause in a driver's contract......Prost had a similar clause back in 1993 to stop Frank Williams from signing Senna, and look what happened there. If Ferrari have their heart set on Vettel, they will get him eventually.

No, Prost didn't. In fact, it was the other way around! Prost told Williams that it was his team, so he could sign whoever he wanted. But if he signed Senna, Prost would go. Which is what happened.

Both Ferrari and Williams tried to get the two best drivers in the world back into one team. And failed.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 am 

What Alonso thinks of Hamilton is irrelevant because Ferrari has always been clear that they prefer Vettel over Hamilton. Alonso doesn't need any clause regarding Hamilton anyway.

I also question the intelligence of anyone who thinks that Alonso has a low opinion of Vettel. Make no mistake he knows how good Vettel is. But with Vettel constantly in the title fight there's always enough reason to try and gherkin him off. No reason for Alonso to make Vettel feel good about himself. Even if these mind games don't work they are still free.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am 

Prophet wrote:
...Infact getting him out of a Newey car would be his best chance at winning the title.

I don't follow your logic. The Red Bull Newey car isn't going to disappear just because Vettel leaves. What's to stop the new RBR driver in his Newey car from beating Alonso to the title?

Or are you implicitly admitting that it is the "Vettel + Newey combination" that is getting the job done?