Hamilton 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Button 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alonso 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Massa 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vettel 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Webber 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 67
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 am 

What do you think the WDC table would have looked like if the drivers of the first-placed team in the WCC had driven in the last-placed team and so on?
Entry list:

Red Bull:
- Narain Karthikeyan
- Pedro de la Rosa

Ferrari:
- Timo Glock
- Charles Pic

McLaren:
- Vitaly Petrov
- Heikki Kovalainen

Lotus:
- Jean-Eric Vergne
- Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes:
- Pastor Maldonado
- Bruno Senna

Sauber:
- Nico Hulkenberg
- Paul di Resta

Force India:
- Sergio Perez
- Kamui Kobayashi

Williams:
- Nico Rosberg
- Michael Schumacher

STR:
- Kimi Räikkönen
- Romain Grosjean

Caterham:
- Lewis Hamilton
- Jenson Button

Marussia:
- Fernando Alonso
- Felipe Massa

HRT:
- Sebastian Vettel
- Mark Webber

Just a bit of fun for the off-season :D

Last edited by Covalent on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 am 

De la Rosa or Rosberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 am 

I'd probably pick Timo Glock to win the championship based on 2012 car performance

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
I'd probably pick Timo Glock to win the championship based on 2012 car performance
Really? 2 poles out of 20 races (BTW it was raining in both cases) and it was the best car?

Last edited by chican on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 am 

Oh wow that would make for super exciting racing! I wish they would do an exhibition race like this. I reckon either postdoc or heikki would win due to car and experience

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 am 

chican wrote:
Really? 2 poles out of 20 races (BTW it was raining in both cases) and it was the best car?

I've based it on the level of competition he would face in the other top cars

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am 

f1madman wrote:
Oh wow that would make for super exciting racing! I wish they would do an exhibition race like this. I reckon either postdoc or heikki would win due to car and experience

Autocorrect? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 am 

The WDC would probably have gone to pertov in the McLaren, although I'm having a hard time positioning all the others in the top 3 teams.

McLaren would be WCC, Sauber would've picked off Merc, possibly FI would knock Merc down too.

The bottom of the table is a little more interesting though. I actually think Vettel would be dead last as he struggled in the RB when it's wasn't as firmly planted as he likes so I think Webber may get the better of him in the HTR.

Caterham and Marussia would be business as usual with Hamilton ahead of Button and Alonso up on Massa. I also think with Hamilton and Button at Caterham, they would have still finished 10th in the WCC, however, with that pairing in the Marussia I think it likely that they would take 10th from Caterham.

So in conclusion, my guess would be:

1 - Petrov
2 - de la Rosa
3 - Kovalainen
4 - Glock
5, 6, 7, - Pic, Karthakeyan, Ricciardo
8 - Vergne
9 - Hulkenburg
10 - Maldonado
11 - di Resta
12 - Rosberg
13 - Perez
14 - Senna
15 - Kobiayashi
16 - Räikkönen
17 - Schumacher
18 - Grosjean
19 - Hamilton
20, 21 - Button, Alonso
22 - Massa
23 - Webber
24 - Vettel
(although the bottom 6 would be based on overall performance rather than a lucky finish)

1 - McLaren
2 - Red Bull
3 - Ferrari
4 - Lotus
5 - Sauber
6, 7 - Farce India :] / Mercedes
8 - Williams
9 - Torro Rosso
10 - Caterham
11 - Marussia
12 - HRT

Edit: just altered the list slightly as I can't decide between Button and Alonso :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 am 

chican wrote:

I've based it on the level of competition he would face in the other top cars

In that case I'd have a go at Kovalainen, he's the most experienced as a frontrunner with Pedro slightly behind, that would make a difference. Anyway cars like RBR require determined driving abilities like breaking too late, it would take them a bit of a time being able to get the maximum of their cars. I don't see many drivers sitting in a better car and immediately returning much better results.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:43 am 

I'd have to give the championship to either DeLa Rosa, Kovalainen or Petrov. Glock may have been in contention too.
The constructors' would probably be:
McLaren
Ferrari
Red Bull

This isn't a slight on RB, just a total lack of faith in Karthikeyan. I believe Pic would do well enough to help Ferrari in to second.

I think Williams would have been far more successful with Rosberg and Schumacher and may have even beaten Mercedes overall, though Maldonado may still have gotten a win.

As for the rest of the mid-field, it'd be very much of a muchness though with Sauber probably winning the mid-field battle and Toro Rosso at the back, ahead of only the new teams. The car this year just wouldn't have been good enough for Raikonnen or Grosjean to do anything with it.

As for the back of the field, I think Vettel would end up dead last. As we saw early in the season, Webber was far more comfortable when the car wasn't quite up to par. Alonso and Hamilton would easily have the measure of their respective team mates with Caterham ending up the winners of that scrap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:46 am 

I reckon Hulk would have won the WDC. Ferrari the WCC.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 am 

I think Rosberg and Schumacher would have done very well in the Williams. When Pastor was on it he could compete with the front runners so with 2 strong drivers in the car Williams might have been challenging for 4th or 5th in the WCC.

As for the WDC, I think I'd have to give it to Pedro. The guy is pretty good at performing at or around the level of the car consistently and given the car was the best at most races he'll have gotten quite a few poles and wins.

As someone else has said, I think Vettel would have struggled because of how Webber got the best of him in early 2010 and early 2012. I also think Perez would have struggled moreso in the FI than in the Sauber, whereas Kobayashi would have performed stronger. I also think PdR would have done well in the Sauber, he doesn't seem especially flamboyant and he would probably have got podiums in the same races Perez did, excluding maybe Malaysia because Perez was a machine that day.

I like the idea or Vergne in the Lotus. His qualifying would still be piss poor but I have a suspicion he'd be pretty good at coming through the field. I don't get the same vibe from Ricciardo, he might stick it on pole and go backwards Schumacher style.

I'd love to see Petrov destroy Heikki in the Mclaren, that would be a much more public humiliation than the one he received this season. I'm a bit of a Petrov fan too after his strong 2011 so a few wins to his name would be much deserved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 am 

Kovalainen would win if Mclaren as reliable if not then I would give it to Ricciardo. Glock would also compete as would petrov. I think the Red Bull would score some wins and Vergne would qualify to low down to feature regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:19 am 

Kovalainen, de la Rosa or Glock for champion. Either Lotus driver may mix it up, but ultimately not. Kovalainen/Petrov the team mate battle of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am 

I'd give the WDC to Heikki as he knows the team well. The Red Bulls would be way down because it was fast only in very capable hands and would take far more skill than what Narain or Pedro possess to challange for victories.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am 

Surprised at how many are saying Kovi for the WDC. Petrol beat him in 2012 and I don't think either had a good season. IMO both would under perform in the McLaren and McLaren are still McLaren, those pit stop blunders would probably still be there...

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:18 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Surprised at how many are saying Kovi for the WDC. Petrol beat him in 2012 and I don't think either had a good season. IMO both would under perform in the McLaren and McLaren are still McLaren, those pit stop blunders would probably still be there...

I think Heikki's average finishing position was probably higher than Petrov's, and Petrov finishing ahead of Heikki was due to Petrov's higher "highest finish". While at McLaren most finishes would probably be in the points and this medal system would have little value. That, and as said, Heikki knows the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:21 pm 

Yeah but Kovi wasn't exactly impressive with his first stint at McLaren. There's nothing to suggest he'd be any better if he went back there. He wasn't that good with Renault in 2007 either, like Fisichella's he seems to get more out of worse cars and when in a top car can't get the best from it. I don't think either driver pushes themselves as much as they could.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Yeah but Kovi wasn't exactly impressive with his first stint at McLaren. There's nothing to suggest he'd be any better if he went back there. He wasn't that good with Renault in 2007 either, like Fisichella's he seems to get more out of worse cars and when in a top car can't get the best from it. I don't think either driver pushes themselves as much as they could.

I'm not suggesting he'd do any better than at the last stint, but the difference is the competition he'd face. It's only my opinion he might win the WDC in this fantasy what-if situation, you don't have to agree :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I'm not suggesting he'd do any better than at the last stint, but the difference is the competition he'd face. It's only my opinion he might win the WDC in this fantasy what-if situation, you don't have to agree :)

Ok. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 pm 

So Heikki actually re-drive the Mclaren. Expect numbers of pole position from him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 pm 

I actually think that Williams and Lotus would end up battling it out for the championship, their drivers are much better which may just even out the top tier teams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 pm 

Covalent wrote:
f1madman wrote:

Autocorrect? :lol:

Lol yes, my tablet struggles with f1 names

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm 

Ja'a wrote:
So Heikki actually re-drive the Mclaren. Expect numbers of pole position from him.

When he only took the 1 first time around? Why would he do so much better this time?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:31 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

When he only took the 1 first time around? Why would he do so much better this time?

Different regs.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Volantary wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

Different regs.

plus weaker rivals in the top teams in these circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

He would be competing with De la rosa , Karthikeyan, Petrov, Ricciardo and Glock etc rather than Hamilton, Raikkonen, Massa, Kubica and Alonso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Volantary wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

Different regs.

Same regs as 2009 give or take. The only time he came close in that season from memory was Valencia. His team mate got 4 poles. Ok, there was quali with race fuel but I don't remember him being pole on a fuel corrected grid either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:44 pm 

Glock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

I think either De Le Rosa or Hulky.

De Le Rosa would be a bit like Vettel last year, whist Hulky would be a bit like Alonso.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Volantary wrote:
Ja'a wrote:

Different regs.

Same regs as 2009 give or take. The only time he came close in that season from memory was Valencia. His team mate got 4 poles. Ok, there was quali with race fuel but I don't remember him being pole on a fuel corrected grid either.

First one that google brought up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/ ... talia.html

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Glock.

Was rubbish for his standards this season. Pic was way too close to him given Glock had two years experience in the Marussia team and a total of 4 and a half years F1 experience generally. Pic was a total rookie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 pm 

I reckon Hamilton & Alonso could've scored points with any car in the past 3 years.

I exclude Vettel & Button simply because I think they prefer perfectly balanced cars & that would be almost impossible in the bottom 3, definitely get something from one race in 58

EDIT - Schumi would win as he was brilliant this year & the Williams was a very good car it's drivers didn't do justice bar 1 race

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:56 pm 

Poll added.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm 

- De la Rosa, he´s a journeyman like Webber, so he´d be just like him in the standings or maybe a little better, in the other hand I don´t think Heikki can come very close to Button, so it´s De la Rosa for me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:17 pm 

Glock hands down. Then Pasta.

Wait, who voted for Alonso?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:26 pm 

Very interesting concept and not at all straight forward apart from Heikki getting most poles in the McLaren, the best 3 cars no doubt were Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari, the best car in terms of performance and car/team reliability and consistency over the season was the Red Bull, but could de la Rosa get on top of the car like Vettel, very doubtful?

Has for McLaren fastest car more often than not than any other car but you have to question reliability issues both with the car and team.

Ferrari was quite a poor car in the first half of the season so you have to belief that the likes of Glock would be playing catchup when the car came good later in the season.

Given all these factors i would place de La Rosa as favourite out of these 3 teams with Glock then next favourite, however given that de la Rosa's not as fast as Vettel this leaves drivers from other teams coming into the equation.

Lotus had a good car probably not that far behind Ferrari so i believe Ricciardo would be capable of race wins and therefore be in with a shout, i rule out Vergne because his poor qualifing would cripple him too much.

Sauber had a good race car on quite a few occasions and i see wins for Hulkenburg but bearing in mind his slow start to the season i'd rule him out for the WDC, similar i'd rule di Resta out because of his poor second half of the season.

The only other team to consider are Williams who often showed excellent pace but was wasted to often by Maldonado, you'd certainly have to consider both Schumacher and Rosberg for wins but was the car quick enough often enough to mount a challenge?

So drivers in contention de la Rosa and Glock, drivers with a reasonable shot at it Ricciardo, Schumacher and Rosberg. Ruling out the 2 McLaren drivers might seem strange given how quick the car was at times but neither Hamilton or Button came close to winning the WDC, and certainly in Hamilton's case he wasn't at fault.

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm 

Kova, he would dominate qualy too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm 

Deep_blue wrote:
- De la Rosa, he´s a journeyman like Webber, so he´d be just like him in the standings or maybe a little better, in the other hand I don´t think Heikki can come very close to Button, so it´s De la Rosa for me

De la Rosa wouldn't be teammates with Webber though, and neither would Heikki's teammate be Button, but Petrov. Or did I understand you wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Wait, who voted for Alonso?

I have a couple ideas ;)