Webber 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 67
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:42 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Wait, who voted for Alonso?

Haribo was obviously one of them...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 pm 

Interesting 3 votes for Heikki so far, we're talking about him driving for McLaren :?

2013: 5th Place

2014: Champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Interesting 3 votes for Heikki so far, we're talking about him driving for McLaren :?

Yeah but it didn't work out so well last time did it and he struggled to beat Petrov last year. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yeah but it didn't work out so well last time did it and he struggled to beat Petrov last year. :?

I'm just wondering is this an altered universe where all the things that went wrong for McLaren in the real universe, never happened?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Deep_blue wrote:
- De la Rosa, he´s a journeyman like Webber, so he´d be just like him in the standings or maybe a little better, in the other hand I don´t think Heikki can come very close to Button, so it´s De la Rosa for me

De la Rosa wouldn't be teammates with Webber though, and neither would Heikki's teammate be Button, but Petrov. Or did I understand you wrong?

I´m just using Button and Webber as a reference, since they finished very close in points last season to support my argument that De la Rosa in a RedBull should beat Heikki in the Mclaren

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I'm just wondering is this an altered universe where all the things that went wrong for McLaren in the real universe, never happened?

I think you will find that Karthikeyan in a red bull and vettel in an HRT is an alternate universe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm 

sandyf1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I think you will find that Karthikeyan in a red bull and vettel in an HRT is an alternate universe.

Bet they'd still find a way to hit each other though with Narain calling Vettel an aubergine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:11 pm 

Ricciardo. He is one of the quicker drivers who is still in an ok car.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 pm 

sandyf1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

If we're altering team/car performances as well lets make the HRT the best car and Vettel wins again, simples :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandyf1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

If we're altering team/car performances as well lets make the HRT the best car and Vettel wins again, simples :)

Not exactly guaranteed though.If Alonso can win with a dog of car that is the F2012, can you just imagine what he could do with a marussia from the alternate universe?

Last edited by sandyf1 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Yeah but Kovi wasn't exactly impressive with his first stint at McLaren. There's nothing to suggest he'd be any better if he went back there. He wasn't that good with Renault in 2007 either, like Fisichella's he seems to get more out of worse cars and when in a top car can't get the best from it. I don't think either driver pushes themselves as much as they could.

Kovi wasn't very good at McLaren because he wasn't very good in adapting to the change is weight after each pitstop following refueling. His move to Caterham coincided with the scrapping of refueling and the car became much more predictable after each stop (the weight was the same as when he went in, and he got faster tyres, much easier to predict how the car will behave)

If he went back to McLaren he would no longer have to deal with this and would be much faster over a race distance. His performance against Petrov was largely motivational - Caterham still failed to deliver on their promises and close in on the Toro Rossos and at the end of the season he knew that he was going to be dropped.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 pm 

I still don't think Kovi would be that impressive in a top car today. He just couldn't cut the mustard. I mean McLaren could have taken him back instead of taking Perez but they didn't and to me that said a lot on how the grid views Kovi.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 pm 

Interesting scenario. I reckon the McLaren duo would show the best pace over the season but would take points off each other and, assuming the team errors and unreliability remain, I don't think either of them would take the drivers' title. I think de la Rosa would win the title, he'll be solid and consistent and his team mate is unlikely to take points off him. I don't think the Ferrari pair would be contenders given that the car was a little off the pace.

I still wouldn't expect any points from the bottom three teams despite having the best drivers on board. The gap between them and the midfield was too large and no driver can make up that difference. Maybe Hamilton or Button might have scraped into the points in Brazil but that would be more down to good fortune than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
I still don't think Kovi would be that impressive in a top car today. He just couldn't cut the mustard. I mean McLaren could have taken him back instead of taking Perez but they didn't and to me that said a lot on how the grid views Kovi.

Oh I agree, he's past it. But in this poll, realistically he's up against de La Rosa, Karthikeyan and Petrov.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Oh I agree, he's past it. But in this poll, realistically he's up against de La Rosa, Karthikeyan and Petrov.

Oh ok. Personally in a good car I can see Petrov getting the better of him now he has experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:46 pm 

What an interesting concept! Great work OP.
Some homework to do, but what fun...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm 

sandyf1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandyf1 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Not exactly guaranteed though.If Alonso can win with a dog of car that is the F2012, can you just imagine what he could do with a marussia from the alternate universe?

Especially with it being fitted with the teleport pass button 8O

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:17 pm 

Glock - easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 pm 

Raikkonen/STR for WDC.
Rosberg/Williams second.
Kovalainen /McLaren third.

Based on my ratings, which measure only time/speed, with 100.0 being the fastest as per the official 2012 teams:
Fastest Petrov/McLaren, at 100.5 rating
Second-fastest tie: Kovalainen/McLaren (what, again!) , Perez/F-India, Rosberg/Williams (his old team!) all at 100.6 rating
Third-fastest tie: Glock/Ferrari, Kobayashi/F-India, Raikkonen/STR , all at 100.7 rating

Imo the driver abilities and racecraft of Raikkonen and Rosberg would overcome thier slight package speed-deficiencies.

I reckon Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Button, Vettel and Webber would retire from racing after a couple of races! Their packages would be (according to my stats) between 1.6 and 3.2 seconds per lap slower than the Petrov/McLaren. But what a season it would be to watch!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Raikkonen/STR for WDC.
Rosberg/Williams second.

Based on my ratings, which measure only time/speed, with 100.0 being the fastest as per the official 2012 teams:
Second-fastest tie: Kovalainen/McLaren (what, again!) , Perez/F-India, Rosberg/Williams (his old team!) all at 100.6 rating
Third-fastest tie: Glock/Ferrari, Kobayashi/F-India, Raikkonen/STR , all at 100.7 rating

Imo the driver abilities and racecraft of Raikkonen and Rosberg would overcome thier slight package speed-deficiencies.

I reckon Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Button, Vettel and Webber would retire from racing after a couple of races! Their packages would be (according to my stats) between 1.6 and 3.2 seconds per lap slower than the Petrov/McLaren. But what a season it would be to watch!

Interesting results your ratings gave you, and they sound plausible even though Kimi in the STR is a surprise. What a season indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm 

Timo Glock or the McLaren boys. Rosberg as an outside shot.

But Narain and Pedro would win races.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm 

So the championship table would look like this according to the votes:

1. Kovalainen, McLaren
2. de la Rosa, Red Bull
3. Glock, Ferrari
4. Petrov, McLaren
= Schumacher, Williams
6. Ricciardo, Lotus
= Hulkenberg, Sauber
8. Pic, Ferrari
= Alonso, Marussia
= Karhikeyan, Red Bull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:46 pm 

I've gone for Hulk, though De La Rosa jumped out at me too :)
Kovalainen is a good shout too. His qualifying would be good and that was key this year I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Raikkonen/STR for WDC.
Rosberg/Williams second.

Sorry to bring this up again but those ratings are skewed by Schumi and his Coanda-scorched tyres in Texas. Negating that would put him ahead of Nico.

Personally I don't believe either Schumi or Nico would have a shot at the WDC in that Williams.

I would go with Petrov, then Kovalainen, then Glock. Reliability being equal.

But if not, and Petrov and Kovalainen had Hamilton/Schumacher luck in 2012, then I would have Glock winning the title.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:02 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
Raikkonen/STR for WDC.
Rosberg/Williams second.

Sorry to bring this up again but those ratings are skewed by Schumi and his Coanda-scorched tyres in Texas. Negating that would put him ahead of Nico.

Personally I don't believe either Schumi or Nico would have a shot at the WDC in that Williams.

But if not, and Petrov and Kovalainen had Hamilton/Schumacher luck in 2012, then I would have Glock winning the title.

Schumacher was very close to Rosberg in 2012, within 0.1 to 0.2% by my stats. Imo he did drive so well and I'm sorry he is not racing in 2013.
Much depends on how one measures this complex sport!
The reason I rated Rosberg slightly ahead is that: their best pre-race time avaerage ratings were 101.1 Rosberg and 101.2 Schum; average grid position 9.4 exactly equal; average race-finish position 8.8 Rosberg and 9.0 Schumacher.
One other factor is Rosbergs age advantage; Pat Symonds reckoned that Michael's errors (crashes) were the result of his age; Symonds was MSC's race engineer at Benetton in 1992-1995 and admires and knows him well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Eva09 wrote:
POBRatings wrote:
Raikkonen/STR for WDC.
Rosberg/Williams second.

Schumacher was very close to Rosberg in 2012, within 0.1 to 0.2% by my stats. Imo he did drive so well and I'm sorry he is not racing in 2013.
Much depends on how one measures this complex sport!
The reason I rated Rosberg slightly ahead is that: their best pre-race time avaerage ratings were 101.1 Rosberg and 101.2 Schum; average grid position 9.4 exactly equal; average race-finish position 8.8 Rosberg and 9.0 Schumacher.
One other factor is Rosbergs age advantage; Pat Symonds reckoned that Michael's errors (crashes) were the result of his age; Symonds was MSC's race engineer at Benetton in 1992-1995 and admires and knows him well.

What is average pre-race time rating? Does it include Texas, which is surely not representative?

FWIW I believe Schumi was fractionally better than Nico in 2012. Like you say it is very close.

Schumi gets slammed for having two collisions. Senna we've seen loads like that, esp. when a driver is on worn tyres or has to brake early. Vettel, Rubens, Liuzzi, Webbo, Nico have all had this. The latter two escaped criticism seemingly because they had huge accidents. It's going to happen in a formula with high grip, short braking zones, and high tyre wear and guys doing different strategies.

Schumi on Vergne wasn't a collision, it was Schumi crashing all on his own and Vergne was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Totally his fault but these things also happen (remember Heidfeld on Sato in Austria 2002?) In any case better reply back in the Schumi thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am 

Glock, Ricciardo or Vergne, I imagine.