planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:55 am 

j man wrote:
I think it's extremely unfair to read this story and just assume that the drivers didn't attend because they couldn't be bothered. To me the fact that NONE attended at all would suggest that they were not invited or were instructed to stay away. If a few had turned up and the others didn't then I might be more suspicious.

The F1 fraternity has had its opportunity to pay its respects to Sid. This event was most likely intended as a relatively low-key occasion for close friends and family only.

I find that the most likely explanation, because I quite simply don't think all drivers would have turned down invitations.
And then there's the issue with getting there and the usually private event of mourning turning into a media circus when paparazzi focusing on a particular driver all flood to a funeral.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 pm 

Water wrote:
j man wrote:
I think it's extremely unfair to read this story and just assume that the drivers didn't attend because they couldn't be bothered. To me the fact that NONE attended at all would suggest that they were not invited or were instructed to stay away. If a few had turned up and the others didn't then I might be more suspicious.

The F1 fraternity has had its opportunity to pay its respects to Sid. This event was most likely intended as a relatively low-key occasion for close friends and family only.

I find that the most likely explanation, because I quite simply don't think all drivers would have turned down invitations.
And then there's the issue with getting there and the usually private event of mourning turning into a media circus when paparazzi focusing on a particular driver all flood to a funeral.

This. Are you telling me that Bruno and Di Resta wouldn't be asked about Force India, that Massa wouldnt be asked about Alonso, Hamilton about Mercedes, Button about Perez etc etc - ALL of which diverts attention from the meaning of the day and sullies the day.

This doesn't say anything about current F1 drivers to me.
It tells me what I already knew about modern media culture and the cult of celebrity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Ouch!
Does not read well about current drivers.

No team representatives there as well, maybe they( Whatkins family or the FIA) wanted it not

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:38 am 

At the Singapore Grand Prix there was a moment of silence and other tributes paid the Watkins. That was when and where most of the current drivers paid their respects. We have to remember that he retired from his role in 2005, and the great majority of current drivers never knew him, or even met him.

And please, right now is a very busy time for all drivers, with commitments and preparation.

At his memorial service Moss, Surtees, Stewart, Scheckter, Watson, Brundle, and Hill attended.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:15 am 

POBRatings wrote:
On a similar topic: when the Senna and Ratzenberger funerals were being held in 1994, Max Mosley attended Roland's, saying that he knew "everyone would be at Senna's". This impressed me.

I read Johnny Herbert attended both

If true that is more impressive. Given how amicable Herbert comes across though, I am not shocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 am 

I don't think it says much as this was a memorial service not his funeral

Plus the fact that Hakkinen wasn't there makes me believe that it wasn't something that they knew about.

Also all the people connected to F1 that attended the memorial were british apart from Scheckter who has moved to Britain (not 100% sure about it)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm 

I think actually this says more about Joe Saward's journalistic style than anything it says about the F1 drivers. He is generally quite cynical and antagonistic and often openly hostile with people who comment on his blog. I can remember once he wrote a sarcastic retort to a comment I posted on his blog. The comment was deliberately designed to provoke people in to criticism, even though it was unsubstantiated with no details. I posted a comment on the blog essentially asking him to clarify the situation and it's gone unanswered.

I posed the same question on James Allen's blog, about the current drivers not attending and James Allen replied:

"I thought it worse that there were not more of the drivers whom Sid saved. Some of the guys from the 1980s and 1990s."

Joe Saward's blog is on my list of F1 websites I check out (but that's mostly because it pops up after jamesallenonf1.com when I type j into Google Chrome's url box, so it's more down to autocomplete laziness than anything else, however it does seem he is quite grumpy and single minded.

He looks down on anyone who is not an established F1 journalist and considers their point of view to be less valid. Now, they might be less informed, but just because someone does not have the same access to the F1 institutions does not mean they do not have a legitimate point of view. When someone criticised Alonso for wanting less races his comment was something along the lines of "typical airchair tourist, if you knew the stress of travelling to all the races then you wouldn't be making such comments" - which might be true, but no one is forcing him to be an F1 journalist. People are involved in F1 because their love the sport rather than because it represents a great working conditions/compensation for equivalent roles in other industries. However, despite that, he then posts a blog post "The joys of being an F1 writer" - so I guess it's not all bad then.

Outside of F1 forums, Joe Saward's comment is the only one that is so loaded with implied criticism of the current F1 drivers. Until I see other established sources making similar criticisms I'm going to treat it as an attempt to troll. Because I think that's essentially what it is. When you analyse the situation, there are many good reasons why the current F1 drivers did not attend, and there are people who did not attend and who attendance would have been more relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
On a similar topic: when the Senna and Ratzenberger funerals were being held in 1994, Max Mosley attended Roland's, saying that he knew "everyone would be at Senna's". This impressed me.

The main topic seems fairly pointless so I'll just reply to this. I always liked that about Max. It was a nice thing he did and to be honest with you, I never really hated him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm 

I have read that it is not uncommon for drivers to not attend funerals, especially those of other drivers, as it reminds them of their own mortality, which is not what they want on their minds.

I can imagine that this may apply to non-drivers involved in their sport as well.

Personally, I am not going to condemn the drivers, as it is not I who is in their shoes. As has been said earlier, people grieve in different ways, and I am certainly not one to pass judgement on what is right for them.

Let us move off this topic, it serves no purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

It wasn't a secret. I knew about it. Surely the drivers could have too. That said if I were any one of them I'd stay away and spare everyone the hoopla. There are no blog posts about private cards, letters, notes, etc sent to his family - that's what I would have done as a driver, and it would have been when he died, not now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 pm 

I am closely related to the great man and can confirm my family would never deny anyone, F1 driver or not, the right to pay their respects to the great man. Nobody was asked to stay away.