planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105186

Quote:
Fernando Alonso says he would have no qualms about playing a supporting role to Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa if the Brazilian needed it.

The Spanish driver has overshadowed Massa in the three years they have been together at the Italian squad, but the Brazilian had a much stronger second half of the 2012 Formula 1 season, during which he was faster than Alonso in some races.

Massa said on Thursday that his resurgence has left him upbeat about his chances of fighting for wins and the title in 2013.

Alonso insisted people continue to under-rate Massa, who he reckons has proven to be one of the best drivers in the F1 field.

"Sure, it is not the first time I have helped him and surely it will not be the last," Alonso said when asked if he would support Massa's title challenge if required.

"We help each other continuously, for the good of Ferrari.

"Felipe is one of the best drivers in the world. I have been repeating this for three years, and at times people look surprised when I say this during press conferences."

Alonso believes his gap to Massa in the standings in the past three years has been 'strange' and reckons they do not reflect the Brazilian's real speed.

"At the end of the 2012 season people realised he is one of the best in the world," Alonso said.

"These last few seasons there was a gap that I never had [with team-mates] in the past, and points wise it was something strange, because usually we should have been on a more equal level as far as points are concerned."

Massa, who secured a one-year contract thanks to his late resurgence in 2012, is convinced that Ferrari wants him to be as strong as Alonso rather than just playing a supporting role.

"I cannot really imagine or think about a team that does not want one of its drivers to be competitive," he said.

"It would be absurd to have just one good car, and one good driver."

Alonso a no.2 ??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 pm 

If it gets to there (a lot of mechanical problems for Alonso taking him out of the WDC fight while Felipe sticks to the front, for example) I don't see why not. Fernando might have a big ego and to be against playing #2 to anyone but Ferrari are his employers and even though obviously Alonso would be their first choice if Massa the only one in it they won't sabotage him just to make the Spaniard happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

No doubt he would, he has come a long way from 2007.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm 

Now this is good! Some people will still bang on about how he demands number one status but this pretty much debunked that theory.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36 pm 

Fernando has his agenda set! Looking at it from a different perspective, had Massa been competitive throughout 2010 and 2012, Alonso would've probably taken the title. The number 2's job is to take points away from the rivals, something Webber was quite proficient at doing in RBR. Alonso knows he's still likely to win in a head-to-head against Massa, but would rather a teammate that finishes right behind him rather than out of the points altogether. End of the day, he ultimately loses if he's totally wiping the floor with his teammate. A nice little motivational talk there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:54 pm 

theodore wrote:
Fernando has his agenda set! Looking at it from a different perspective, had Massa been competitive throughout 2010 and 2012, Alonso would've probably taken the title. The number 2's job is to take points away from the rivals, something Webber was quite proficient at doing in RBR. Alonso knows he's still likely to win in a head-to-head against Massa, but would rather a teammate that finishes right behind him rather than out of the points altogether. End of the day, he ultimately loses if he's totally wiping the floor with his teammate. A nice little motivational talk there.

I was one of them blokes who were tiddled about how "it is all newey/rbr"quotes. I don't see anything wrong with what he said now. That and Kimi once did the same... in a Ferrari no less. So I fail to see "the agenda."

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:58 pm 

True or false, make of it what you want, Fernando Alonso was never going to tell the media that he refuses to help Massa to a title.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Now this is good! Some people will still bang on about how he demands number one status but this pretty much debunked that theory.

I think its just sound bites really and it would be bad to be seen to be beaten by a driver who is not one of the best drivers in the world, even when Massa was quicker he wasn't allowed to beat Alonso because of the WDC battle with Vettel, the start of this season will be different, i wait and see if Alonso can take being beaten by Massa on a regular basis

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

theodore wrote:

Thats seems to read along the lines that Massa will not be allowed to finish in front of Alonso?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm 

It makes no difference what Alonso says or does, some people, usually the same in every thread, find something to be critical about. He can't say anything good about anybody without the usual suspects saying he doesn't mean it, and if he says something negative, they use that as proof that he is an donkey.

For what it is worth, I think that his comments are most appropriate and likely. If Massa is in that position, I would expect nothing less from Alonso than to everything he could to help his teammate to win the WDC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:52 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105186

Quote:
Fernando Alonso says he would have no qualms about playing a supporting role to Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa if the Brazilian needed it.

The Spanish driver has overshadowed Massa in the three years they have been together at the Italian squad, but the Brazilian had a much stronger second half of the 2012 Formula 1 season, during which he was faster than Alonso in some races.

Massa said on Thursday that his resurgence has left him upbeat about his chances of fighting for wins and the title in 2013.

Alonso insisted people continue to under-rate Massa, who he reckons has proven to be one of the best drivers in the F1 field.

"Sure, it is not the first time I have helped him and surely it will not be the last," Alonso said when asked if he would support Massa's title challenge if required.

"We help each other continuously, for the good of Ferrari.

"Felipe is one of the best drivers in the world. I have been repeating this for three years, and at times people look surprised when I say this during press conferences."

Alonso believes his gap to Massa in the standings in the past three years has been 'strange' and reckons they do not reflect the Brazilian's real speed.

"At the end of the 2012 season people realised he is one of the best in the world," Alonso said.

"These last few seasons there was a gap that I never had [with team-mates] in the past, and points wise it was something strange, because usually we should have been on a more equal level as far as points are concerned."

Massa, who secured a one-year contract thanks to his late resurgence in 2012, is convinced that Ferrari wants him to be as strong as Alonso rather than just playing a supporting role.

"I cannot really imagine or think about a team that does not want one of its drivers to be competitive," he said.

"It would be absurd to have just one good car, and one good driver."

Alonso a no.2 ??

Never. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:00 pm 

I'd like to see someone hold that article up to him if Massa actually was leading.

He's only saying it because he knows that there is no way in hell Massa will beat him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm 

Alonso will do what Ferrari says, if Massa is fighting for the title and Alonso is not, he will help Felipe, I don't know why it's in question, it's common sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm 

Robot wrote:
Alonso will do what Ferrari says, if Massa is fighting for the title and Alonso is not, he will help Felipe, I don't know why it's in question, it's common sense.

Something that is not in abundance at this forum :)

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 pm 

Schumacher helped Irvine so why not.

The only way Alonso would help Massa is if he was out of the title himself, so why not.
Also what is the chances of that, unless we have another 1999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 pm 

Robot wrote:

But i'm guessing Alonso would not be looking to step down mid season like Massa had to do in 2010?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 pm 

RickM wrote:
I'd like to see someone hold that article up to him if Massa actually was leading.

He's only saying it because he knows that there is no way in hell Massa will beat him.

Well you'd be surprised by the things you could do with a gun pointing at your head. Many of those things you probably wouldn't care to admit right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm 

lamo wrote:

The only way Alonso would help Massa is if he was out of the title himself, so why not.

ahem, 2008?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 pm 

RickM wrote:

Ah, yet another with inside knowledge of what Alonso is thinking. damn we have some geniuses here on this forum, if you don't believe me, just ask them.
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:

Seriously? It's easy to say it in a media interview...saying and doing are two different things! IF the scenario actually happened then you would be correct, but i think it's a tad premature to say it's the myth debunked

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:32 pm 

Lets be honest, if this was the case that Massa was in a leading position in the championship and in a very good position for the championship win at the summer break in the season, I think Alonso would quite happily help Massa as much as he could as Massa did in 2012.
The only thing is, I don't see this happening as Ferrari will enforce team orders to help Alonso at all points throughout the season, personally I would say its equal in the team and review it at the summer break to see who to back for the championship win (if they are actually fighting the championship).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

Seriously? It's easy to say it in a media interview...saying and doing are two different things! IF the scenario actually happened then you would be correct, but i think it's a tad premature to say it's the myth debunked

At the least I have a direct quote from Alonso to defend what I said. Could you provide one credible source to prove what you're saying? Besides, why would you choose to believe some nutters on interweb, than Alonso himself?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

If Alonso and Massa as Ferrari drivers ever found themselves in a situation where Massa was the only one who could win the title then I think Alonso would support Massa, just like Schumacher did with Irvine's title bid in 1999. Ferrari wouldn't tolerate their driver refusing to help when only the team mate could win the title, Montezemolo would blow up if that ever happened.

But so far, the situation described by Alonso is hypothetical. He knows he's a better driver than Massa and the only way for having to support Massa's title bid is if Alonso got injured and had to sit out half a season and only returned for the last few races, and if Ferrari had a great car which allows Massa to challenge for the title.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm 

I admit I am having a hard time believing a word of it. But prove me wrong Alonso! If Alonso actually supports Massa's bid, I will be the first to admit I was wrong.

What did he mean by having helped Massa before - continuously?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 pm 

Blake wrote:
RickM wrote:

Ah, yet another with inside knowledge of what Alonso is thinking. damn we have some geniuses here on this forum, if you don't believe me, just ask them.

Or a sane persons response would be that I'm just saying that until it happens, it's all talk.

If Vettel came out and said the same thing I'd have the same views. It's all well and good saying it, but until the driver is put in that position there is no way of knowing what he'll do.

Damn you really are a genius...clearly your level of intellect is far superior... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm 

RickM wrote:
Blake wrote:
RickM wrote:

Or a sane persons response would be that I'm just saying that until it happens, it's all talk.

If Vettel came out and said the same thing I'd have the same views. It's all well and good saying it, but until the driver is put in that position there is no way of knowing what he'll do.

Damn you really are a genius...clearly your level of intellect is far superior... ;)

No, rick...

Apparently not,I am not a genuis, as I don't have the inside knowledge of what Alonso is really thinking like you do... it is YOU who claim to know, so I guess that makes you the resident "genius".

I hope you understand that this low intellect forumite will... until shown otherwise... take Fernando Alonso's words about what he thinks, before taking your words about what Alonso thinks as fact.

Some of you run around claiming that you know all.... you know what the person is "really saying"... and what is worse than that, you speak it as though it is indisputable "fact". Sorry, rick... I don't buy it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am 

Blake wrote:
RickM wrote:
Blake wrote:
RickM wrote:

No, rick...

Apparently not,I am not a genuis, as I don't have the inside knowledge of what Alonso is really thinking like you do... it is YOU who claim to know, so I guess that makes you the resident "genius".

I hope you understand that this low intellect forumite will... until shown otherwise... take Fernando Alonso's words about what he thinks, before taking your words about what Alonso thinks as fact.

Some of you run around claiming that you know all.... you know what the person is "really saying"... and what is worse than that, you speak it as though it is indisputable "fact". Sorry, rick... I don't buy it.

Sigh. Whatever Blake. If it really makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then whatever. Clearly you know better than everyone else and anyone who voices an alternative opinion obviously lacks the intellect you carry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

At the least I have a direct quote from Alonso to defend what I said. Could you provide one credible source to prove what you're saying? Besides, why would you choose to believe some nutters on interweb, than Alonso himself?

I don't know how one could think that "demanding number one status" and "willing to help your team mate in his bid for the title when necessary" are mutually exclusives.
You can demand #1 status and still find yourself, for whatever reasons, out of contention for the WDC while your team mate still is.

So to take this as evidence that he doesn't want or demand #1 status is pretty naive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
lamo wrote:

ahem, 2008?

That needs a word of explanation, at least for me.

If you mean that there could come a time during which Massa were far more comfortable or confident with the car than Alonso(/Räikkönen) I understand why you bring 2008 up. The difference between 2012-13 and 2008 is of course driver equality, which was in force then, but not now. I think a lot would depend on how happy Santander would be to see Alonso's needs ignored in favour of those of Massa.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

Listening to what nutters on interweb? I said Alonso saying in an interview he will back Massa up and actually DOING what he says are two very different things. Your delusional if you think the "Alonso demands #1 status myth is debunked" just because Fernando says it in an interview. He wasn't exactly going to say "i will never support Felipe no matter what the situation"

Inless we have a 1999, this scenario won't happen anyway

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 pm 

OMG, I have just returned from 10 days holiday in Phuket & this forum is still debating whether Hamilton is better than Vettel or vice versa, Alonso is playing mind games with everything he says regardless of what that is, Kimi might or might not be the best driver since sliced bread, Massa is going to gherkin all over Alonso in 2013 cause he was faster in 2 races in 2012, Button/Webber are either great drivers or so hopeless they should not be driving in F1... have I missed anyone? Sorry, I forgot one of the best ones.... Is Vettel a deserving champion?

I know that it is the off season, but really!!!!!!!

I have no doubt that, if Massa proved himself to be better than Alonso in the first half of this coming season, Alonso would support him. The thing I also know is, Alonso being the sort of competitor he is, he would also try his hardest to better him. I would expect nothing else from any F1 driver, or any racing driver, regardless of who they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm 

I believe he would if lithe circumstances meant he had to. Ferrari want to win titles and I don't think they care who does it at the end of the day. Look at 1999, Ferrari wanted Irvine to win the title badly but somehow I don't think Schumacher was as keen. He let Irvine by in Sepang, he did his bit and ensured Eddie was ahead going into Japan. In Japan it was up to Irvine to secure his title, all he had to do was win at a track he loved. He failed pretty badly in the end.

Alonso would help Massa. He just knows the likelihood of it is pretty slim at the moment going on past form.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm 

Off-topic, ever so slightly:
Laura23 wrote:
Look at 1999, Ferrari wanted Irvine to win the title badly

This was doubted at the time. Do you know more than we do?
For what it's worth; it seemed as if Ferrari were lost when it had to work for Irvine as their number one driver, and found its feet again when Schumacher was back. That also seemed the time Irvine's performance slumped again, though I admit that might simply be coincidence.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

For what it's worth; it seemed as if Ferrari were lost when it had to work for Irvine as their number one driver, and found its feet again when Schumacher was back. That also seemed the time Irvine's performance slumped again, though I admit that might simply be coincidence.

I genuinely believe that if they didn't want Irvine to win they would have told Schumacher to scamper off into the Sepang sunset and said Irvine just couldn't keep up with him. That the switch happened suggests to me they did want to win it just as badly with both drivers. Luca DmZ knew what a WDC win would do for Ferrari back home. I have no doubt Schumacher didn't want Irvine to win though and didn't give Hakkinen half as hard a time in Japan as he could have. It all worked out perfectly for him in the end of course. Luca didn't care who won Ferrari's titles though, just that Ferrari won them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:48 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I genuinely believe that if they didn't want Irvine to win they would have told Schumacher to scamper off into the Sepang sunset and said Irvine just couldn't keep up with him. That the switch happened suggests to me they did want to win it just as badly with both drivers. Luca DmZ knew what a WDC win would do for Ferrari back home. I have no doubt Schumacher didn't want Irvine to win though and didn't give Hakkinen half as hard a time in Japan as he could have. It all worked out perfectly for him in the end of course. Luca didn't care who won Ferrari's titles though, just that Ferrari won them.

Actually Fiki, I agree with Laura except that I would say, if they didn't want Irvine to win, or rather Ferrari to win the WDC, Luca would have left Michael to pretend he was so injured he couldn't return cause his return & help meant that Irvine came the closest ever to winning the WDC for the only time in his F1 racing life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm 

Fiki wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
lamo wrote:

ahem, 2008?

That needs a word of explanation, at least for me.

If you mean that there could come a time during which Massa were far more comfortable or confident with the car than Alonso(/Räikkönen) I understand why you bring 2008 up. The difference between 2012-13 and 2008 is of course driver equality, which was in force then, but not now. I think a lot would depend on how happy Santander would be to see Alonso's needs ignored in favour of those of Massa.

You did answer your own question pretty much.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

Listening to what nutters on interweb? I said Alonso saying in an interview he will back Massa up and actually DOING what he says are two very different things. Your delusional if you think the "Alonso demands #1 status myth is debunked" just because Fernando says it in an interview. He wasn't exactly going to say "i will never support Felipe no matter what the situation"

Inless we have a 1999, this scenario won't happen anyway

So could you please quote a single credible source to effect of Alonso demanding number 1 status? I don't know of any number 1 helping the other make their bid in recent times except MS in '99... but I know of a number of equals helping each other out, which includes '08 at Ferrari. So drawing an inference based on not so distant events is not that much of stretch. I hope that makes sense to you.

Of course everyone makes the right noises, unless you're Lewis on Twitter, but that doesn't mean it is all hogwash all the time. Ferrari did allow Massa to bid for the title in '08, so I don't know why it is incredulous to believe they will do it again?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

If they wanted to win all they had to do was remember how many wheels went on a Ferrari :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

If they wanted to win all they had to do was remember how many wheels went on a Ferrari :lol: :lol:

That was before Schumacher came back though. They did the same thing to Barrichello at Sepang in 2001 and Schumacher got held up behind him for a minute because of it in the pits. Big mistakes can happen, especially under pressure. McLaren and Hakkinen did a bloody good job of trying to throw 1999 away themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I agree with this. Ferrari's drought at the time meant that they couldn't really be that choosy, could they? In fact, at the time I felt that it would serve LdM so much better if Irvine won, with the whole Schumacher comeback phone-call shambles. He wasn't impressed with Schumacher's antics.