planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:39 am 

Of the top of my head, I'd like to see Kobayashi and Senna get a second crack at F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 am 

Petrov I think. There are about 10 better/more interesting choices but I think Vitaly passport will seal the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:57 am 

If it's between those two, Kobayashi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:15 am 

Since Glock appears to have departed because Marussia weren't going to be able to pay his salary, I imagine it will be a driver who brings money, which is either Petrov or Senna.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am 

Petrov. He's becoming quite respectable I think, and Russian driver+team+race just seems to make sense, and might get some Russian backing, therefore a more productive team. Thats my hope anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 am 

If it's really a money thing, we'll probably see either Petrov or Senna as they need an experienced driver with Chilton in the other seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 am 

Bound to be Petrov.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 am 

My guess is Petrov too, a Russian driver in a Russian team makes much sense. I rather would have Koba though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am 

Kovalainen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 am 

It'll probably be Vitaly Petrov. I'm guessing there's a chance it might be Jules Bianchi. I'd like any available seat to go to Bruno Senna, simply because I like the Senna name connected with present day Formula 1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 am 

Petrov to Marussia, Senna to Caterham, Bianchi to Force India.

I'd be willing to put money on it

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 am 

coulthards chin wrote:
Petrov to Marussia, Senna to Caterham, Bianchi to Force India.

I'd be willing to put money on it

This does seem very likely. Though I'm least convinced on Senna to Caterham as I'm confused why there has been such a delay in announcing his contract.

We've seen the last of Glock in F1.

PF1 Pick 10! Podiums: 3 (2nd, India 2011; 1st, Japan 2012; 1st, Monaco 2013)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 pm 

I would like Kobayashi, but realistically I think it will be Petrov or Senna. Kovalainen won't bring the money that Marussia needs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm 

Senna will probably get it since he has most sponsor money to offer. Petrov could be given a lifeline at Caterham as a result and Bianchi a way in at Force India providing the Sutil rumours aren't true.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 pm 

Rubens Barricello, they need someone experieced

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 pm 

Haribo wrote:

Not sure they could afford him. Not getting the extra money seems to have hurt them pretty badly.

We can rule out Koboyashi and Heikki as neither of them can bring (much) money to the team.

I'd imagine we'll see a pretty quick announcement from both them and FI as both will want to poach the best drivers they can afford.

Last edited by RickM on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm 

Petrov, it all fits Russian sponsors, Russian team, russian driver, a russian gp 2014. Agree senna Caterham and Bianchi force India

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 pm 

RickM wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Not sure they could afford him. Not getting the extra money seems to have hurt them pretty badly.

We can rule out Koboyashi and Heikki as neither of them can bring (much) money to the team.

I'd imagine we'll see a pretty quick announcement from both them and FI as both will want to poach the best drivers they can afford.

I know, they need a pay driver a la Maldonado
IMo FI looks for someone with money, too, as it seems they have financial problems also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

potter84 wrote:
Petrov, it all fits Russian sponsors, Russian team, russian driver, a russian gp 2014. Agree senna Caterham and Bianchi force India

When you put it like that there's no contest! I don't think it'll do any good for Chilton's career though, while he seemed pretty reasonable he didn't set the world on fire in GP2. Petrov's experience will give him the edge imo.

Do Marussia still have Yamamoto on their books? I know they took him in 2011 but haven't heard anything since. If they're short on money they may as well stick him in the car, he's gotten around a bit so he must have enough money for people to let him drive!

Shame Glock has gone, I rated him pretty highly. Senna to Caterham does seem pretty likely, still not convinced about Bianchi to FI, they should stick Sutil in there, take his sponsor money and enjoy the points he brings in.

Having said that, Caterham might want to approach Kobayashi and take the million he made, he'll perform better than Senna and might be able to sneak a point if the car is there. Senna got away with being slow last season because the car was decent so he kept picking up minor points, he won't be able to pull the same trick in a backmarker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm 

Volantary wrote:
potter84 wrote:

When you put it like that there's no contest! I don't think it'll do any good for Chilton's career though, while he seemed pretty reasonable he didn't set the world on fire in GP2. Petrov's experience will give him the edge imo.

Do Marussia still have Yamamoto on their books? I know they took him in 2011 but haven't heard anything since. If they're short on money they may as well stick him in the car, he's gotten around a bit so he must have enough money for people to let him drive!

Shame Glock has gone, I rated him pretty highly. Senna to Caterham does seem pretty likely, still not convinced about Bianchi to FI, they should stick Sutil in there, take his sponsor money and enjoy the points he brings in.

Having said that, Caterham might want to approach Kobayashi and take the million he made, he'll perform better than Senna and might be able to sneak a point if the car is there. Senna got away with being slow last season because the car was decent so he kept picking up minor points, he won't be able to pull the same trick in a backmarker.

Senna has at least double the money Kobayashi does though and they'll probably want that money short term.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 pm 

Jarno Trulli to replace Glock! Okay, wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:04 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Volantary wrote:
potter84 wrote:

Senna has at least double the money Kobayashi does though and they'll probably want that money short term.

in fairness it was only his qualifying that was slow if the new Pirellis are easier to work as the teams believe they are then senna should be much improved in that respect with nearly £10m sponsorship behind him compared to KK's what £2m i know what i would go for. 2013 is a write off the cash can go to 2014 with the reg changes and engine packages can be a great chance to break into the midfield if invested in properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Volantary wrote:
potter84 wrote:

Like I say, if they want some money and performance they should take Kobayashi. If they want poorer performance and are really stuck for money they should go for Senna, but if they're going to do that they may as well take Yamamoto or Chandhok or Narain for the big $s. Taking Senna seems very middle groundy; less money but a bit more performance than a proper pay driver.

Depends how much faith they have in Pic I guess, and your opinion of Senna. If they take Narain and with the money make Pic a midfield car, they're laughing. If they take Senna's money and make a reasonable car but neither driver can drive it to it's potential, they're a bit nowhere. If they can do similar things with the money Kobayashi brings and he manages to maximise the car, they'll get some nice results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm 

Kobayashi has already said he has given up on F1 this year so I think we can rule him out anyway. He clearly doesn't want to go to one of the lower teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 pm 

Didn't Petrov's talks with Caterham stall because his sponsors suddenly seemed to get cold feet again?
Who knows if he even has the money Marussia want right now.

Luiz Razia is opening his chequebook as we speak, let's see if he can dig deep enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm 

Petrov seems like a no brainer, but I want to see Robert Wickens get the seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Kobayashi has already said he has given up on F1 this year so I think we can rule him out anyway. He clearly doesn't want to go to one of the lower teams.

And can you imagine the embarrassment of having asked your fans for money, just so you can run around in 20th place? I wonder what KK is doing with the money he raised?

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

And can you imagine the embarrassment of having asked your fans for money, just so you can run around in 20th place? I wonder what KK is doing with the money he raised?

Keeping it for 2014 now which I think is a bit rich tbh. He asked for money to help him onto the 2013 grid, not 2014. Besides I doubt he'll get anything then either, there'll be even more drivers up and coming and there'll be even more trying to get back a la Kovi. His chances are bloody slim.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm 

Wickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm 

Should be wickens to show its not all about money, that talent does count.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm 
spiritone wrote:

But talent doesn't count for Marussia (or Caterham, Force India, Williams or Sauber for that matter) at the moment. Cash does. That's why Glock has been dropped.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

in a lennon kinda stylie, give bruno a chance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm 

spiritone wrote:

For Marussia (And likely FI) it is all about money and not tallent.

They're stuck in a catch 22 situation. They need a decent driver to get the extra cash at the end of the season. But to get a decent driver they need the extra cash.

Petrov is their best option right now. He's fresh out of a similar level team, has proven he's at least 'ok' in a better car (Renault), and has the highest chance of attracting a decent sponsor (even more so with the fact that there is the 2014 russian race, and the team are part russian).

That said, where does that leave Force India? If they need a pay driver too, I can see them going for Sutil. Maybe Senna will be their only option left if they want any amount of money and a driver who's at very least going to be in the midfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm 

I'm sure I read a few tweets a short while back that Petrov's manager said that they're only talking to Caterham which effectively rules out the Marussia seat if they're to be believed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm 

Petrov is staying with Caterham it looks like. Marussia will sign a novice called Luis Razia.

He is Brazilian, second in GP2 last season and brings plenty of money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 pm 

HappyDude88 wrote:
Petrov is staying with Caterham it looks like. Marussia will sign a novice called Luis Razia.

He is Brazilian, second in GP2 last season and brings plenty of money.

Razia actually has a bit about him. While we are cursed with a lot of pay drivers at least they all seem to have a fair bit of talent and credibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm 

I would love Kobayashi, but if I was them, I'd go with Senna, unfortunately.

VI LXXVII XIV X
gif from reddit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 pm 

Some have said no, but JMO we'll see at least one of FI, Cat or Marussia conduct a race-off for their seat during first practice.

Might as well have the fastest pay driver....

In fact, Senna might test for more than one team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm 

Oh, I'd like to see Kovi at Cat and Petrov at Marussia.

Who FI hire as second? seems Biachi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
I would love Kobayashi, but if I was them, I'd go with Senna, unfortunately.

Kobayashi is out of it - he's not an option. He already gave up.