planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am 

From the media coverage it seems to be snow-balling...

Patrick Head
Andrew Parr
Mark Gillian (Although not as significant but was crucial in 2012's return to race winning)

and now rumours about Toto Wolff?

It seems some big names are leaving Williams. Is it all just coincidence or could it be linked? It was mentioned at times that both Parr and Wolff were names to replace Frank, but now it seems not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Speculation but I don't think most are directly linked as such, but if Williams were fighting at the front of a healthier, happier sport I'm not sure all these departures would have taken place.

I buy Head's reason for stepping back, it was on the cards for a long time and the stock market float effectively confirmed what was about to happen. It seems odd that Wolff should suddenly be looking elsewhere so recently after upping his commitment, so I can believe it's just an offer he wasn't expecting but has decided to jump at. It's no secret Parr's departure was down to a personality clash with Bernie, perhaps extenuated by a lack of support due to everyone hating him. Gillan and also Sam Michael I'm not sure about. The exit of the former was a big surprise, the latter less so but there's still a story to be told there. Imagine if it were a team like Force India or Sauber who had endured a spell like this, we'd be saying they're about to collapse.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am 

Wolff owns 49% of the Mercedes DTM team HWA. I think that was one of the main reasons for the move.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 am 

Balibari wrote:
Speculation but I don't think most are directly linked as such, but if Williams were fighting at the front of a healthier, happier sport I'm not sure all these departures would have taken place.

I buy Head's reason for stepping back, it was on the cards for a long time and the stock market float effectively confirmed what was about to happen. It seems odd that Wolff should suddenly be looking elsewhere so recently after upping his commitment, so I can believe it's just an offer he wasn't expecting but has decided to jump at. It's no secret Parr's departure was down to a personality clash with Bernie, perhaps extenuated by a lack of support due to everyone hating him. Gillan and also Sam Michael I'm not sure about. The exit of the former was a big surprise, the latter less so but there's still a story to be told there. Imagine if it were a team like Force India or Sauber who had endured a spell like this, we'd be saying they're about to collapse.

Everyone hating him?

First I've heard that any reading material to recommend?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am 

Wolff has gone to Mercedes, but he still retains his Williams shares.

So now the management structure at Mercedes is Brawn/Lauda/Wolff.

Sounds like big money talks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am 

It would be ironic if Wolff did completely pull out to the ruin of Williams. That would be both Williams's teams ended by a man called Wolf/Wolff.

I hope it is just however Toto remaining a silent partner and/or securing Merc power. FI will switch to Ferrari if they're still around and Sauber maybe even pick up some spare Renaults (unless everything VW related did come true for them).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

And no Mention of Fry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm 

Williams may benefit from a refurbishment in their management. They've got a bit stale in development and team management overall.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 pm 

hd23 wrote:
Williams may benefit from a refurbishment in their management. They've got a bit stale in development and team management overall.

If that comment was made a year ago, it might be valid. Actually, Williams won an award for superior management in Formula One. The company restructured the management over a year ago, they have turned the corner, and as long as the money lasts, should improve.

Mercedes made Wolff an offer he could not refuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm 

funny. just finished reading last months F1 Racing all about Williams and all Wolffs plans etc, i turn on BBC website and hes gone :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
hd23 wrote:

If that comment was made a year ago, it might be valid. Actually, Williams won an award for superior management in Formula One. The company restructured the management over a year ago, they have turned the corner, and as long as the money lasts, should improve.

Man, I totally pictured a horse head in bed scene :)

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
hd23 wrote:

Man, I totally pictured a horse head in bed scene :)

Man, I totally pictured a Tesco burger....

On another note, it just seems strange that there are such a large amount of top end changes.......and Frank can't go on forever.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

It must be a worry for frank, wolff was effectively team principle most of last year and exec also, he gave so much more to Williams than just money his management over race weekends seemed top notch for someone so new to that position in f1. There seems to be a void now that frank will have to fill again until a trusted replacement can be found, he was looking increasingly more frail whenever i saw him last year i really don't think he has much left in him to give

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:22 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

That big money's bought him 30% of the team! Mercedes have 60% and Lauda has just bought the other 10%.

Is there precedent for someone owning a substantial stake in two unrelated F1 teams (i.e. not a connected setup like RB/STR)?

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 pm 

I know it's unlikely, but I'm hoping it's just the start of a Williams Mercedes collaboration... it might give me my dream of Hamilton in a Williams car working for Brawn and Sir Frank. I have a feeling white blue and silver would look nice too. Ditch the Mercedes green and just add a nice shiny silver to the Williams livery and you're onto a winner. Well, I'm onto a winner, it's a beautiful thought for me...

Hey, we can dream.
:P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Balibari wrote:

Everyone hating him?

I fell victim to hyperbole there, 'everyone' and 'hate' are probably a bit extreme. But he was supposedly not popular at some levels within the team, I'm only going on occasional comments from journalists and the like. I specifically remember Nigel Roebuck in Motor Sport saying something about him lacking charm and throwing his weight around immediately upon taking a position of authority at Williams. Obviously there was some negative comment about him not being a racer but I got the impression from journos that people just found him a bit unpleasant.

of Alice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
I know it's unlikely, but I'm hoping it's just the start of a Williams Mercedes collaboration... it might give me my dream of Hamilton in a Williams car working for Brawn and Sir Frank. I have a feeling white blue and silver would look nice too. Ditch the Mercedes green and just add a nice shiny silver to the Williams livery and you're onto a winner. Well, I'm onto a winner, it's a beautiful thought for me...

Hey, we can dream.
:P

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:35 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

And no Mention of Fry.

His future as CEO is "being decided".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Balibari wrote:

Everyone hating him?

I fell victim to hyperbole there, 'everyone' and 'hate' are probably a bit extreme. But he was supposedly not popular at some levels within the team, I'm only going on occasional comments from journalists and the like. I specifically remember Nigel Roebuck in Motor Sport saying something about him lacking charm and throwing his weight around immediately upon taking a position of authority at Williams. Obviously there was some negative comment about him not being a racer but I got the impression from journos that people just found him a bit unpleasant.

Interesting. I only ever heard of the Bernie dislike.

Even though he didn't have a motorsport background. He obviously did something right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm 

Balibari wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:

That big money's bought him 30% of the team! Mercedes have 60% and Lauda has just bought the other 10%.

Is there precedent for someone owning a substantial stake in two unrelated F1 teams (i.e. not a connected setup like RB/STR)?

I thought Brawn still owned a percentage too?

As for stakes in more than one team, I recall Flavio Briatore bought Ligier in 1994 for their Renault engines to use at Benetton (not sure what, if any, stake he had at the latter at the time other than his role there). While owning Ligier he bought a share in Minardi hoping to flip it for a quick profit to BAR, but in the end he sold it back to Giancarlo Minardi. Prost bought Ligier in 1997.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm 

Did Lauda buy his?

I read somewhere it was a freebie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

Thread is about Williams!! Lets leave the merc stuff alone and consider the departures rather than where they are going!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 pm 

Well, it's been 2 weeks now, so...any idea how would the empty positions be filled?