planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

Keeping a low-profile, the Austrian came into F1 through Williams, which is a great feat in itself being Sir Frank a difficult person to deal with. Being a driver himself, he knows the inner side of things as well as the money language, since he is a very smart multimillionaire who is slowly grabbing the cake piece by piece.

Now, after buying 15% of Williams shares and putting his own protegé to drive in 2013, he quits and goes to Mercedes as a tremendous boss. Not that it was impossible since he already has ties with the German manufacturer, but he is clearly climbing the ladder with confidence and steadily as it should be, building reputation and results as well as bridges with every single important player in the sport, including Bernie Ecclestone.

He is clearly focused, intelligent, smart and young, which comes as a surprise, but he might be eyeing something a bit more ambitious than a WDC or a WCC with either Williams or Mercedes.

What do you guys think of it? At first I was a little disappointed that he left Williams so quickly, but now I am starting to think this guy has something special about him. I was also dismissive of him since he was bascially the guy who wanted Barrichello out and he did it and I am a fan of Rubens.

Anyway, food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm 

Have heard both Toto and Christian Horner's names mentioned as desirable replacements for Bernie in the last 18 months or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm 

Don't be silly, it'll be these two. And I'll be ready to Reservoir Dogs my ears when the day comes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm 

I think he has all the right tools but to be honest i think Bernie will be replaced by a board rather than one man.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Have heard both Toto and Christian Horner's names mentioned as desirable replacements for Bernie in the last 18 months or so.

I really hope it isnt Horner. He's a great Team Principle, but his mannerisms and attempt at lying at the media are massively cringeworthy. At least if someone slaps a camera in front of Bernie he's quite happy to tell them to gherkin off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm 

I can't think of anyone I'd like to see replace Bernie. He might be a pain, but he's the best thing for the sport (IMO).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

I believe Toto Wolff is also plotting to succeed Angela Merkel. I know he's Austrian not German - but it's happened before!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 am 

ashley313 wrote:
I can't think of anyone I'd like to see replace Bernie. He might be a pain, but he's the best thing for the sport (IMO).

I think Flavio would be a good replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

No no no no no no no. We can't allow that. Imagine what will be happening after Monaco every year. A certain banned picture may be re-enacted.

Plus the guy is a dick ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

oh yeah Bernie might get forced out for the negative image it brings if the German court prosecutes him, so go get a guy that's been banned from sport for what 5 years? For cheating and being instrumental in causing a needless potentially fatal crash.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 am 

RickM wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

No no no no no no no. We can't allow that. Imagine what will be happening after Monaco every year. A certain banned picture may be re-enacted.

Well, reason being, he's a ruthless businessman, makes his point clear, doesnt know much about F1 but stayed in F1 for donkey years. Typical Bernie in the making?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am 

RickM wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

I really hope it isnt Horner. He's a great Team Principle, but his mannerisms and attempt at lying at the media are massively cringeworthy. At least if someone slaps a camera in front of Bernie he's quite happy to tell them to gherkin off.

:thumbup: i don't think i could believe him either... at Bernie speaks the truth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
RickM wrote:
Ev0lutionz wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

Well, reason being, he's a ruthless businessman, makes his point clear, doesnt know much about F1 but stayed in F1 for donkey years. Typical Bernie in the making?

Have you seen his views on what F1 should be? If he had it his way it'd all be scripted. No I'm not joking either. He wants hollywood types running it to make it more entertaining, and less about the cars.

Oh and he wants to split it into 2 formulas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 am 

Wolff doesnt seem to be able to settle anywhere.

i wouldnt be surprised if he is away again by middle of next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 pm 

Seems too fast and too early to say what Wolff can achieve... But indeed he is rising up pretty fast!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 pm 

ashley313 wrote:

I disagree... he has to go and the sooner the better in my opinion. He has long gone past his "use by" date.

I don't know who to best replace him, but there have to be many qualified individuals out there...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
ashley313 wrote:

I actually agree, though he cannot possible become the replacement. If the Singapore Scandal hadn't happened, or had never come to light then he'd be good. But having a known cheat in, let's be honest, the most powerful position in F1 would be a PR nightmare.

Then again, at least Alonso would finally win a 3rd title... :twisted: