planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jet Sprint Boat Racing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 am 

Have any of you seen these things before ??

Tiny boats with huge V8s in them with around 1100 horse powers, they fly round little streams flat out ! its amazing how they are able to go so fast and change direction so quickly, i watched some last night and was hooked.

here is a you tube vid .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNUR6tsoTs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am 

Yeah, I watch these a few weeks back on MotorsTV. They change direction very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm 

Apparently those things can pull 7G in the corners - significantly higher than an F1 car (5.5G max).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am 

Gimax wrote:
Apparently those things can pull 7G in the corners - significantly higher than an F1 car (5.5G max).

Wow. It doesn't seem physically possible the wAy they turn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:25 am 

Something to do with the fact that the turning comes from the rear of the vehicle, I'd imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm 

Yes the speed of the direction change comes from the fact that the rudder and propulsion is at the rear, but the high G's come from the lateral support the water gives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 pm 

The more I read about Jetsprints the more astonishing they are. A top superboat can produce more than 1,500 bhp from its twin turbo 8 litre methanol burning Chevy engine and accelerate from 0-130 kph in under 3 seconds. If you imagine a superboat and an F1 car tackling comparable circuits - say a flat version of Monaco, I reckon the superboat would win (over one lap). Of course it would be different for a circuit with long straights and open bends like Spa or Monza. There the F1 car's much higher top speed would come into play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm 

Yea, have watched them for years. My middle brother introduced me to boat racing at Taree, Australia, when I was very young. Loved the sound of those engines, being able to stand right next to them, plus the speed they could do. Speed & that sound should excite anyone that loves racing whether it is on land or on water. It certainly did it for me. As my husband says, if there is anything racing that has speed & the sound of a powerful engine, then you will find me watching it. I can't help myself :D