planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pirelli 2013
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:17 pm 

chrcoluk wrote:
idiots, for me the best races were at the end of the year when the tryes were degrading less, and I think usa was the best race of the entire year which happened to be the race they accidently used harder compounds than usual.

So next year we back to the lottery service for wins?

The track surface had more of an influence than the tyres.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:33 am 

chrcoluk wrote:

It was never a lottery system. The current tire situation is one where a much higher level of strategy and complication has been forced on all the teams and drivers. At the beginning of the season all the teams were faced with technical issues, and they learned and developed new equipment and procedures. The method of regulating brake temperature to control tire temperatures is one good example. McLaren tried adjustable brakes ducts first on their rear brakes, and once it proved effective, applied the same solution to the front brakes. All the other teams followed suit and built their own solutions, where at Austin they were able to control tire temperatures with greater control and accuracy.

Everyone saw the countless remarks by drivers and teams that they had great difficulty in getting a set of tires working at the beginning of the season. At Austin that was no longer an issue or a talking point. Not because of some lottery, but because solutions were developed.

For some fans it appeared confusing and random. But if you peel back the layer of simple superficiality, what was really happening was that as the weeks went by, teams developed solutions to problems. That dire shortage of testing time didn't allow teams to solve their problems before the season began, and we saw the problem-solving process in front of us, instead of hidden away in testing sessions far from the public gaze. The entire season was a war of development, the cars were changed and altered every race, to solve the problems.

When things don't go as planned, it's not because someone threw dice and decided on random results, it was a matter of a problem that had to be solved. When Vettel's alternator failed, the team didn't throw their hands in the air and say "oh my, we've had such bad luck", but instead studied the problem and applied a solution. In the picture below there is a long duct snaking from on top of the radiator to below the exhaust pipes. That duct showed up soon after the alternator failure to duct cool air to the famous alternator.

Formula One isn't supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be very difficult and complicated. It is an incredibly complex puzzle that requires making thousands of decisions and compromises to maximize results. Do we build a car with lots of power and top end , or one with lesser power, less top end, but superior in the corners?

And it was exactly the same with the tires, not everyone got it right or made the correct decisions at the beginning of the season. So we saw massive successes, and massive fails as everyone learned from their mistakes.

But it was never a lottery.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 am 

chrcoluk wrote:
idiots, for me the best races were at the end of the year when the tryes were degrading less, and I think usa was the best race of the entire year which happened to be the race they accidently used harder compounds than usual.

It's not that simple, some teams had major problems heating the tyres. Even if it's not about degradation it is still a tyre issue. Alonso was something like 1,5s-2s a lap slower compared to Hamilton and Vettel between lap 1 and 3-4.

And drivers being able to push all the way is not a guarantee for an exciting race either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
flyer wrote:
Interesting...

They say the Soft has a higher working range, and the Medium a low working range.

So what does that mean, the Medium will heat up faster but last longer, and the Soft will be more difficult to heat up yet will have more grip at all times and won't last as long?

Then there's the difference between wear and degradation which this article doesn't get into.

It seems counter-intuitive, usually I assume that softer means it will heat up faster and work better in cooler conditions. Well, it will make it more complicated and interesting, even if harder to understand.

2013 Tire Details

What that means is that (and I'm just picking numbers randomly) is that the super softs would have an operating range between 95 and 105 Celsius, soft 105 to 115, medium 115 to 125, and hard 125 to 135.

Thanks but that's not what it's saying, it's saying the Medium has a lower working range than the Softs, i.e. the Medium is designed to work better in cooler conditions than the Soft. That's the opposite of what we've been seeing for so many years, where softer tires were always better in cooler conditions because they warmed up better, but could not stand a higher working temperature without degrading or blistering.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm 

flyer wrote:
Thanks but that's not what it's saying, it's saying the Medium has a lower working range than the Softs, i.e. the Medium is designed to work better in cooler conditions than the Soft. That's the opposite of what we've been seeing for so many years, where softer tires were always better in cooler conditions because they warmed up better, but could not stand a higher working temperature without degrading or blistering.

I'm not picking a fight or quibbling over insignificant details flyer, but in the article..
Quote:
The P Zero White medium has a lower working range, making it the ideal choice for circuits that are slightly less demanding or have lower ambient temperatures. The new medium tire is not dissimilar to last year's soft, making it around 0.8 second per laps faster than the hard.

I wonder whether they are referring to last year's medium tire, or comparing it to the soft. Details like that keep me up at night, trying to sort things out. But my confusion pales in comparison to what the teams will be dealing with when the action starts in Australia.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 pm 

I don't think the teams will have much confusion in Oz .

I suspect after last year, this year we will see all sorts of infra red and thermal cameras on the cars in testing.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I'm not picking a fight or quibbling over insignificant details flyer, but in the article..
Quote:
The P Zero White medium has a lower working range, making it the ideal choice for circuits that are slightly less demanding or have lower ambient temperatures. The new medium tire is not dissimilar to last year's soft, making it around 0.8 second per laps faster than the hard.

I wonder whether they are referring to last year's medium tire, or comparing it to the soft. Details like that keep me up at night, trying to sort things out. But my confusion pales in comparison to what the teams will be dealing with when the action starts in Australia.

Ah, I see it makes sense from that point of view. Thanks, I was about to ask Coughlan for some data.