planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 am 

According to this article Valencia has been left to vandals and disrepair since the financial crisis hit. A shame in my eyes :-((

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-dr ... t-crumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:03 am 

the read makes for an "life after people"-impression of the circuit... sounds really scary what can happen in 6 months time...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 am 

If it's true, then it's absolutely horrible news! How could they leave the whole place to be vandalised? It's not just an F1 track once a year, it also houses America's cup yachting infrastructure...?!

This is weird and really sad.

You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:06 am 

egnat69 wrote:
the read makes for an "life after people"-impression of the circuit... sounds really scary what can happen in 6 months time...

I know, it's scary. You'd think it was post-apocalypse judging by the description. That people were driven to this makes me wonder how Bernie sleeps when he requests such huge amounts of money from circuits regardless of financial standing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 am 

sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

I know, it's scary. You'd think it was post-apocalypse judging by the description. That people were driven to this makes me wonder how Bernie sleeps when he requests such huge amounts of money from circuits regardless of financial standing.

Not Bernie's fault if they decide to try and host a race without a solid foundation.

To be honest I'm more appalled at the organisers for spending €2m on a bridge when their country is in financial ruin, and then once they lose the F1 contract they just leave everything to be stolen and vandalised.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 am 

Photos! Photos!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am 

Adaemus wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

Not Bernie's fault if they decide to try and host a race without a solid foundation.

To be honest I'm more appalled at the organisers for spending €2m on a bridge when their country is in financial ruin, and then once they lose the F1 contract they just leave everything to be stolen and vandalised.

Looks like I missed that. When was it made public that Valencia lost the F1 contract?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 am 

Guys this circuit is right in the middle of a big town, a lot of people pass by everyday to access the docks and pick their cruises-ships, so that description of a Mad Max world is hard to believe. It is called Yellow journalism.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 am 

Toby. wrote:
Photos! Photos!

Video (in Spanish, but you can understand the images)

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/01/23/valencia/1358933769.html?cid=CM0803

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 am 

chican wrote:
Guys this circuit is right in the middle of a big town, a lot of people pass by everyday to access the docks and pick their cruises-ships, so that description of a Mad Max world is hard to believe. It is called Yellow journalism.

Hey chican I'm always meaning to ask you, could you give me the link to the video of the dog you have in your avatar (if you can, of course)?

Thanks,

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 am 

Adaemus wrote:

The circuit was built when Spain was the fastest growing economy in Europe...

Also, something that is normally not taken into account in other countries is the huge weight of the tourism industry in Spain and specially in the region around Valencia, so a Formula 1 race (which attracts tens of thousands of people from abroad) can be a boost for the local economy in the off-season, even after paying Bernie's share.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:33 am 

AndyPerry wrote:
chican wrote:

Hey chican I'm always meaning to ask you, could you give me the link to the video of the dog you have in your avatar (if you can, of course)?

Thanks,

Andy

I know I'm not chican, but.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AftWvTBWte0 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuOr2vlC-c

as for the circuit, it is kind of inevitable having a track in the middle of a large city with the countries current economical climate and easy access. The only it could have been prevented would be 24 security guards watching the whole track which is expensive to maintain and still only a deterrent not a cure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 am 

I don't get it.. The track just looks like one that hasn't been raced on in a few months. The only thing that looked slightly wrong was the water in the tunnel. The piping on the ground doesn't suggest disarray. A big load of crap, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 am 

Looks like a few folk have went in and thieved what they could for scrap rather than Vandals.

Insurance will pay out and no one will be any the wiser next time it's used.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 am 

Toby. wrote:
I don't get it.. The track just looks like one that hasn't been raced on in a few months. The only thing that looked slightly wrong was the water in the tunnel. The piping on the ground doesn't suggest disarray. A big load of crap, if you ask me.

Having seen the video it doesn't look as bad as the article tries to make out.... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am 

Toby. wrote:

Agreed.

My larger concern would be what it looks like by the time it has the next Spanish GP in 2014, or when MotoGP rolls up in November. If they continue to let it decline, both could be in doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Agreed.

My larger concern would be what it looks like by the time it has the next Spanish GP in 2014, or when MotoGP rolls up in November. If they continue to let it decline, both could be in doubt.

The MotoGP race is not at the Valencia urban circuit, but at the Cheste permanent circuit, 30 km West of the town.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Agreed.

The moto gp circuit is a proper circuit known as the Circuit de la Communitat Valencia . It has nothing to do with the street circuit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 am 

sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

of course someone would always find a way to blame Bernie,why don't we blame for the Iraqi invasion as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am 

nike2die4 wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

of course someone would always find a way to blame Bernie,why don't we blame for the Iraqi invasion as well.

Having seen the video and realised it's more mole-hill than mountain i'm more than happy to retract my statement about BE :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

You think 2mill on a bridge is bad... Don't read the article about much worse ridiculous spending by Spain then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18855961

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
sinstorm wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

You think 2mill on a bridge is bad... Don't read the article about much worse ridiculous spending by Spain then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18855961

:D :D :D

Thanks for that... :lol:

All this from a country that receives one of the largest annual EU payouts, despite being one of the largest countries...and steals our fish..and *blahblahJeremyClarksonrantblahblah* :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:01 pm 

It's all right Adaemus. we have their rock :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 pm 

F1 won't be going back anyway. It'll be bulldozed in a couple of years.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

I thought it was Job sharing with catalunya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I thought it was Job sharing with catalunya

Yeah but it won't be back. Spain can't afford it. Barca is still on shaky ground as well according to some, I think they'll want it in one place. Barca gets more sales.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 pm 

Well, this economic conjunction is bad news for the thousands of old British that come to Spain yearly with the only purpose to receive a surgery that in their homeland is not covered by the State.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 am 

Shame that its a pretty nice track to drive, the last sector is wicked and full throttle down to the last corner!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 am 

They'll be burning witches next if things regress any further. No fan of the circuit but tragic all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 am 

"Now, far from the glamour, the neighbours complain that there is no supervision and that thieves have taken everything of any value,"

What!! Politicians are still there?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 am 

I think it's more of a case of all the copper wiring being stolen, that stuff is worth a lot.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am 

chican wrote:
Well, this economic conjunction is bad news for the thousands of old British that come to Spain yearly with the only purpose to receive a surgery that in their homeland is not covered by the State.

erm what ? I guess you're not in the UK?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 am 

stevefromstoke wrote:
chican wrote:

Well they call it health/medical tourism and it's no longer sustainable, not with the actual status quo between the EU members.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 am 

chican wrote:
stevefromstoke wrote:
chican wrote:

Well they call it health/medical tourism and it's no longer sustainable, not with the actual status quo between the EU members.

Err the UK has a near complete state funded care package. It's called the national Health Service and despite the whining that the press do about it its still one of the best state health care systems in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm 

Bring it back on topic please guys.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 pm 

http://www.marca.com/2013/01/23/motor/f ... 37864.html

This video shows the deplorable state of the circuit. It's not coming back

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm 

El_Chuzalongo wrote:
http://www.marca.com/2013/01/23/motor/formula1/1358937864.html

Really? Some countries have built a circuit in less than a year and you think they can't replace a few fixtures and fittings and give it a lick of paint?

It's in better state than some of the circuits that get used every weekend for other races. It still looks luxury compared to our local stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:07 pm 

Johnston wrote:
El_Chuzalongo wrote:

Really? Some countries have built a circuit in less than a year and you think they can't replace a few fixtures and fittings and give it a lick of paint?

It's in better state than some of the circuits that get used every weekend for other races. It still looks luxury compared to our local stuff.

I cannot agree more. The asphalt and all walls are still there. Fence can be fixed an painted and they can bring new electronic equipment. They would need month or so to bring it back to glory. At Monaco and Singapore they bring equipment, built fence and walls every year. At Valencia it would require few fixes, nothing more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 pm 

How does a country with 25% unemployment host 2 GPs ? only little Bernie knows...whats next the Somalia GP?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:55 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Johnston wrote:
El_Chuzalongo wrote:

I cannot agree more. The asphalt and all walls are still there. Fence can be fixed an painted and they can bring new electronic equipment. They would need month or so to bring it back to glory. At Monaco and Singapore they bring equipment, built fence and walls every year. At Valencia it would require few fixes, nothing more.

This only happened after just 8 months. There is no race at valencia this season, nobody is going to take care of it for another year at least. On top of this, it seems there is already homeless people living in the circuit.