All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

El_Chuzalongo wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Johnston wrote:
El_Chuzalongo wrote:
http://www.marca.com/2013/01/23/motor/formula1/1358937864.html

This video shows the deplorable state of the circuit. It's not coming back

Really? Some countries have built a circuit in less than a year and you think they can't replace a few fixtures and fittings and give it a lick of paint?

It's in better state than some of the circuits that get used every weekend for other races. It still looks luxury compared to our local stuff.

I cannot agree more. The asphalt and all walls are still there. Fence can be fixed an painted and they can bring new electronic equipment. They would need month or so to bring it back to glory. At Monaco and Singapore they bring equipment, built fence and walls every year. At Valencia it would require few fixes, nothing more.

This only happened after just 8 months. There is no race at valencia this season, nobody is going to take care of it for another year at least. On top of this, it seems there is already homeless people living in the circuit.

There is regular traffic and no circuit in Monaco for most of time. As long as asphalt and bridge are there, fixing rest shouldn't be impossible. Monaco needs 2 months to build fence and grandstands from nothing. The homeless people would need to leave track if needed. I don't see any reason why races shouldn't be hold there in the future.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm 

El_Chuzalongo wrote:

This only happened after just 8 months. There is no race at valencia this season, nobody is going to take care of it for another year at least. On top of this, it seems there is already homeless people living in the circuit.

They've nicked what's worth nicking. As it's copper and the like I would suspect it's been weighed in. It can't be nicked twice and can be replaced before it's ever used again.

Homeless at the circuit. They won't take long to move on.

You likely find they costed out the cost of replacing the stuff against the cost of a year or more security and this way is cheaper. Heck the insurance will likely end up paying anyway.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm 

Even if the insurance covers the damage, there is no guarantee that the money is going to be invested in fixing it. Owners could just claim it and invest in something else. Time will tell but given the current state of affairs I wouldn't bet any money on seeing Valencia back in the calendar any time soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm 

Why are people on here seemingly determined for F1 to return there? Surely it should be the other way round, we should be determined never to go back to such a dull track and dull atmosphere.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Why are people on here seemingly determined for F1 to return there? Surely it should be the other way round, we should be determined never to go back to such a dull track and dull atmosphere.

I'm not determined. I don't think current state of circuit is any issue. Lack of money is issue, not circuit. I bet even after many years the asphalt still will be there. The circuit was designed to comply with the highest FIA standards. The issue is lack of funds.

El_Chuzalongo wrote:
Even if the insurance covers the damage, there is no guarantee that the money is going to be invested in fixing it. Owners could just claim it and invest in something else. Time will tell but given the current state of affairs I wouldn't bet any money on seeing Valencia back in the calendar any time soon.

This is first time you bring money issue there. Probably you finally realized that the damage to circuit isn't reason of why the GP won';t be there. The damage of the circuit isn't barrier, the money are.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:40 pm 

If the the local government decides they don't want F1 back there then they will probably bulldoze the track to make room for something else, apartments perhaps. It's a massive area they could make money from.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm 

Valencia should never have hosted F1, its not a sport that should ever be sponsored by tax payers money.
F1 is barely a sport, its more of a media circus.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 pm 

vikram wrote:
Valencia should never have hosted F1, its not a sport that should ever be sponsored by tax payers money.

And the Government itself isn't?

Every tax payer pays for things they don't use. That's what makes it almost fair.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
F1 won't be going back anyway. It'll be bulldozed in a couple of years.

Not likely, there's no money for bulldozing it to start with! You know in Spain many buildings are not declared officially in ruin because by law the local authorities would have to step in and pay the cost of clearing it up. So there are no buildings in ruins.. or race tracks :P

2011 Silverstone 1st
2012 Spa 1st
2012 Interlagos 3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
vikram wrote:

And the Government itself isn't?

Every tax payer pays for things they don't use. That's what makes it almost fair.

In theory you pay taxes and government explicitly gives you absolutely no guarantee that you will benefit from them. This applies strictly to taxes, not fees like TV license etc.