planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 pm 

First look at the MP4-28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MiF2n0WrGWk

If this is the *actual* shape of the car it doesn't look too different from the 27. The nose is possibly a bit higher, but anything else is hard to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:02 pm 

Nose is way higher and much thinner by the looks of it.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Probably just a load of boxes underneath :D

Didn't they do something similar for last years or the year before and the car under the sheet looked nothing like the actual car?

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 pm 

I wouldn't read anything into that. They showed pics before the MP4-27 launch of the car covered with a sheet - the actual shape was completely different, and afterwards it was obvious they just put a sheet over the older MP4-26 and took a photo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:04 pm 

Regardless the nose on whatever is under there looks high and thin. We'll see next month!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Regardless the nose on whatever is under there looks high and thin. We'll see next month!

This month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

6 days.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hence the "if this is the *actual* shape..."

I do like a bit of excitement though! I guess we will see on thursday!

Dont forget that the lotus is launching on monday :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm 

Well here's a pic of it. Think it's on a platform, the front tyres are quite high.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

Also the nose doesn't look like it is flicking up at the front like last year (After the upgrades)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm 

Certainly looks like it's on a platform, and the nose most definately thinner. Also the front wheels look alot higher than the body of the car even if it is on a platform... could just be the covers and angle though. Whatever it looks like, I can almost gaurantee it will be sexy.

Unless they come out with a side stepped nose or S-shaped nose or some sh*t.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm 

Looks like they might be going back to the old droopy nose they had at the start of last season?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Didn't they do something similar for last years or the year before and the car under the sheet looked nothing like the actual car?

Yup, and that's the exact same car they used then. With the nose at a not so high not so low height but it sticks out past the nose wing. It's absolutely nothing but the same crap. The video is stupid too. Nothing in it has anything to do with the 28.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 pm 

daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Yup, and that's the exact same car they used then. With the nose at a not so high not so low height but it sticks out past the nose wing. It's absolutely nothing but the same crap. The video is stupid too. Nothing in it has anything to do with the 28.

Aww diddums did they not show the MP4-28 on the video even though they stated it'll unveiled on the 31st? It's a teaser video, you were never going to see the car itself in it.

We'll find out soon what it looks like. This is just to whet the appetite of McLaren fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Aww diddums did they not show the MP4-28 on the video even though they stated it'll unveiled on the 31st? It's a teaser video, you were never going to see the car itself in it.

We'll find out soon what it looks like. This is just to whet the appetite of McLaren fans.

oooOOOOooo, handbags out for Laura ;)

Although I do agree with daytona, what's under the sheet won't be the MP4-28. Just looking at the relative height of the wheels and trying to determine what angle and height the platform it's on makes the front wing and nose look really out of proportion.

EDIT: to add - The video did show Perez in McLaren overalls and JB looking super cool though, so yes, definitely whetting the appetite of Macca fans for next season. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

This exactly the kind of post I expected of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:50 pm 

I'd agree the heights of the parts relative to each other all look wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm 

just a few more days to go before we see this beauty!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 pm 

The Front Wing is the dead giveaway that the front end is indeed not resting on the floor. It seems as though they front end of the car is higher than last years A-Spec Car and about the same as the B-Spec car in terms of height as their's was not as high as most of the others after the alteration. It does however hint towards it being narrower and has a downward sweep which is quite a relief. While their B-Spec model last year wasn't ugly, it certainly looked better with the A-Spec Nose.

I think I have a serious problem I need help for because at this point I feel that junkie itch setting in and might resort to turning tricks for more info and peeks at the new cars! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm 

daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Well if you will call a teaser video crap for not showing the entire car what do you expect the reaction to be Daytona? McLaren are celebrating 50 years this year. The video teases the new car as well as looking at the recent history of the team, it's also a teaser for how they'll look at their past. I thought that was pretty obvious if I'm honest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm 

I'm a bit worried. I think it died, they pulled the sheets over it. :(

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:58 pm 

Fiki wrote:

dead car was a newey... mp4-18 :)

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:05 am 

the incubus wrote:
The Front Wing is the dead giveaway that the front end is indeed not resting on the floor. It seems as though they front end of the car is higher than last years A-Spec Car and about the same as the B-Spec car in terms of height as their's was not as high as most of the others after the alteration. It does however hint towards it being narrower and has a downward sweep which is quite a relief. While their B-Spec model last year wasn't ugly, it certainly looked better with the A-Spec Nose.

I think I have a serious problem I need help for because at this point I feel that junkie itch setting in and might resort to turning tricks for more info and peeks at the new cars! LOL

What ! Are you looking at a different pic to the rest of us ?
The width will be the same and there is no downward sweep. But on the real car I bet there will be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 am 

Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Well if you will call a teaser video crap for not showing the entire car what do you expect the reaction to be Daytona? McLaren are celebrating 50 years this year. The video teases the new car as well as looking at the recent history of the team, it's also a teaser for how they'll look at their past. I thought that was pretty obvious if I'm honest.

is that what i said? I think the video is stupid because it shows clips of earlier 2000s Mclaren with flashes of a car that likely has zero resemblance to what they are actually building. Its perfectly fine to have a teaser but the only thing this video has to tease is a date and the fact that it is a McLaren video. An actual teaser would show maybe a super close up of the actual car that is close enough not to be able to make out the design. or maybe the car in the shadows, etc. That is all im pointing out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 am 

daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
daytona81 wrote:

is that what i said? I think the video is stupid because it shows clips of earlier 2000s Mclaren with flashes of a car that likely has zero resemblance to what they are actually building. Its perfectly fine to have a teaser but the only thing this video has to tease is a date and the fact that it is a McLaren video. An actual teaser would show maybe a super close up of the actual car that is close enough not to be able to make out the design. or maybe the car in the shadows, etc. That is all im pointing out.

It is also a teaser for the upcoming 50th McLaren anniversary. Hence the clips of older cars. Obvious to anyone who takes notice of details. It may or may not be the actual car. We won't know until the 31st. The whole point of the video was to get people to take notice and it has worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 am 

I think the car is sitting on a ramp, and that's why it looks so much out of proportion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 am 

The nose would break height regulations if that was the real thing...ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Fiki wrote:

dead car was a newey... mp4-18 :)

What a remarkable episode that was!

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:54 am 

The car you see at launch won't really be the real chassis they run at testing and races just a "representation" of why it'll look like

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm 

Museli wrote:
The nose would break height regulations if that was the real thing...ridiculous.

Not necessarily, it could be that height with the vanity panel introduced in the 2013 regulations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 pm 

It is also a teaser for the upcoming 50th McLaren anniversary. Hence the clips of older cars. Obvious to anyone who takes notice of details. It may or may not be the actual car. We won't know until the 31st. The whole point of the video was to get people to take notice and it has worked perfectly.[/quote]

Except all they showed was the 2006-2012 Mclarens, a lot of Pedro in the 2006 car and Button helmet cam.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 pm 

They showed some recent history. I'm presuming there'll be other videos looking further and further back as the year goes on. It looked at the "Chrome era" if you like.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 pm 

lamo wrote:
It is also a teaser for the upcoming 50th McLaren anniversary. Hence the clips of older cars. Obvious to anyone who takes notice of details. It may or may not be the actual car. We won't know until the 31st. The whole point of the video was to get people to take notice and it has worked perfectly.

Except all they showed was the 2006-2012 Mclarens, a lot of Pedro in the 2006 car and Button helmet cam.[/quote]

Exactly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm 

Still don't get it do you?

McLaren can make their teaser video into anything they want it to be. It doesn't make it crap. It's a damn sight better than Lotus teaser at least which was a photo of Kimi in white overalls leaning into a cockpit you could literally only see a small square of. At least McLaren made some effort.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 am 

To me it look like anything footage they owned (i.e. filmed by Mclaren) that showed a nice Santender, Vodafone or Johnie Walker logo all current sponsors.

Watch it through again and most of the shots have a perfectly placed Vodafone logo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:37 am 

red & white livery...they are ditching the silver ;)

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 am 

daytona81 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

last year they had a 3d-rendering of sthg under sheets - couldn't find any 3d-screens anymore but it basically was that shilouette:

the actual car under wraps was this:

looks a lot like last year's Lotus-nose to me...

regarding the high front-tyres ... it is on a podest, yes ... actually looks more like a ramp - rear tires are on or near the floor, front is ramped upwards...

the tip of the nose, espacially if you consider the height of the wing - looks much higher than on last year's launch car - more like from the "high-stepped-department":

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 pm 

Why does any topic posted about McLaren always end up with arguments? It's a teaser video, announcing the launch of 2013's car. Nothing else to read into it! Where is the thread lambasting Lotus for the vid with Matt LeBlanc? Or any other teams launch announcements? And with regards how the picture looks, this is the 3rd? year they've posted a picture of a car with a sheet draped over it. It's a representation of the car, not the actual 2013 contender!