planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm 

this is the most ridiculous news i have ever heard , a backmarker in DTM who finishes last or second to last every weekend is going to shakedown the new car for a team like Williams !!! , what happened to Logic in F1

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2898 ... e-in-2013/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm 

A shakedown is testing if the car moves and turns corners, yeah? Why can't she do that, it doesn't sound difficult. I bet one of the engineers could do it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm 

As her old man now also owns a chunk of the Mercedes F1 team, expect to see her shaking down the Mercedes-AMG 2013 W04 too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm 

It's a straight line test. No biggie.

But if your pissed about that you are going to be well pissed off when she starts driving on Fridays.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm 

Yea and what exactly is wrong with that??!..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm 

Who knows how well she shakes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

A shakedown just makes sure all the wires are connected and it isn't going to go *kaboom* if the race drivers apply the throttle slightly. If Suzie Wolff gets a little exposure, then good on her. There's been worse drivers given a race seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 

dabi wrote:
Yea and what exactly is wrong with that??!..

the wrong with that is she can barely drive a DTM car , she doesn't deserve to get anywhere near a F1 car

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 pm 

Toby. wrote:
A shakedown just makes sure all the wires are connected and it isn't going to go *kaboom* if the race drivers apply the throttle slightly. If Suzie Wolff gets a little exposure, then good on her. There's been worse drivers given a race seat.

Such as?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 pm 

Toby. wrote:

Such as?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

In fairness, Toto Wolff's money will be helping significantly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:08 pm 

Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Chanoch Nissany, Jean Denis Delatraz as well. Tempted to say Domenico Schiattarella, but only remember him from the F195 game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 pm 

Toby. wrote:

the teams try to use any kms of running to try to improve the car so the shakedown will include some testing for the car performance besides the routine checkups of the car integrity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm 

It's only a shakedown to be honest. It'll most likely only be a handful of laps anyway.

It's a good thing for everyone involved to be honest. She gets good PR, Williams get increased hype over their shakedown and good PR

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Chanoch Nissany, Jean Denis Delatraz as well. Tempted to say Domenico Schiattarella, but only remember him from the F195 game.

Throw in any number of the rubbish one off drivers who appeared throughout the 70s too.

I don't see Wolff being any worse than a Baumgartner or a Friesacher either. I wonder if people are only freaking out because she's not a man. Just because she doesn't have a pair of actual bollocks doesn't mean she's any worse than any other pay driver we have ever seen.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:33 pm 

I notice that, according to the Daily Telegraph, Toto Wolff is not planning on selling his Williams shares anytime soon: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/9830390/Mercedes-F1-boss-stands-firm-on-rivals-shares.html

A way of making sure the Missus keeps her F1 development drive perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Rossett came second in F3000
Ide was runner up in Formula Nippon
Delatraz scored a couple of F3000 podiums.

None of those is anything special, although all are more notable than Wolff's achievements. Finishing last in 6 of the 7 years she has spent in DTM with 0 points scored.

Nissany never got a race seat, although granted he was hopeless.

Lavaggi I might give you but he was a pay driver. However unless Wolff gets a drive we will never know for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm 

Don't forget that in DTM she isn't using the most update of equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:46 pm 

Considering that not even Maldo can drive a Williams in a showcase without crashing, I think she'll be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm 

Johnston wrote:

Only in 2012. Every other year she's been in DTM it's been out of date equipment.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Only in 2012. Every other year she's been in DTM it's been out of date equipment.

Thats what I meant :lol:

Although even in 2012 the privateers don't get the same stuff the works guys do. Same in any series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:20 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Considering that not even Maldo can drive a Williams in a showcase without crashing, I think she'll be fine.

:thumbup:

Yeah Susie, shake it!! :D

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

i don't see her shaking anything usefully except that

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm 

Johnston wrote:

But if your pissed about that you are going to be well pissed off when she starts driving on Fridays.

I doubt that would ever happen

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Throw in any number of the rubbish one off drivers who appeared throughout the 70s too.

I don't see Wolff being any worse than a Baumgartner or a Friesacher either. I wonder if people are only freaking out because she's not a man. Just because she doesn't have a pair of actual bollocks doesn't mean she's any worse than any other pay driver we have ever seen.

Do you see her competing in F1 as such?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised, there was talk last year of her taking Bottas seat if he moved up a step and then of course she's dropped DTM. Bernies also dropped favourably comments. So I sure wouldn't bet against it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm 

Grosjean wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

i don't see her shaking anything usefully except that
Logic please, captain. She hasn't started shaking it yet.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised, there was talk last year of her taking Bottas seat if he moved up a step and then of course she's dropped DTM. Bernies also dropped favourably comments. So I sure wouldn't bet against it.

It would be quite embarassing though, if you're going to put a woman in a F1 car put one in that won't be laughed at

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Nope, not unless Bottas or Maldonado get injured. Doesn't take away from the point at hand. She's not the worst driver to have been given a car shakedown in f1.

I doubt she'll get Friday's either. Bottas will need all the time he can get and Williams rates him massively, Maldonado pays too much to sit out sessions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:16 pm 

pokerman wrote:
It would be quite embarassing though, if you're going to put a woman in a F1 car put one in that won't be laughed at

How do you know it would be embarrassing? Got a crystal ball?

She hasn't done a timed lap in one and you reckon it would be embarrassing :uhoh: Supposedly her times in the sim etc are ok and She kept it on the tarmac when she took one out around Silverstone last year which is probably better than most folk on here could manage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

Nope, not unless Bottas or Maldonado get injured. Doesn't take away from the point at hand. She's not the worst driver to have been given a car shakedown in f1.

I doubt she'll get Friday's either. Bottas will need all the time he can get and Williams rates him massively, Maldonado pays too much to sit out sessions.

No there's nothing wrong with her doing systems checks, its a far cry from driving a F1 car in anger though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:

With people like you and some of the others in this thread around that is always going to happen I'm afraid.

Just let her get on with it. She's not offending anyone, she's just doing a simple shakedown. Some of you guys make it seem like she's replacing Alonso for the entire year, not that would be silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

She hasn't done a timed lap in one and you reckon it would be embarrassing :uhoh: Supposedly her times in the sim etc are ok and She kept it on the tarmac when she took one out around Silverstone last year which is probably better than most folk on here could manage.

I guess it depends on how many seconds off the pace is considered to be embarassing?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Based on what though? Pretty much all she has ever done in her career is finish last in DTM. How is that proof she is better than Lavaggi, Ide or Delatraz? Maybe her car has been rubbish but that doesn't make her good. If she was she'd have earned a seat in a better car by now but she hasn't.

I'm not saying she IS the worst driver just that there is nothing to suggest she is any good, or better than the other drivers mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I guess it depends on how many seconds off the pace is considered to be embarassing?

How do you know she would be seconds off the pace?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 pm 

Because you can't get much worse than the Deltraz's of the world. Wolff isn't a great driver but she isn't bad either. She'll never win races, or get podiums but I don't think she would be embarrassing like those guys were. She won't get any track time beyond shakedowns anyway so what's the point in the argument? The chances of her becoming a fully fledged F1 driver are slim, partly because it is still a male dominated world far too cynical to give a woman a genuine chance and partly because she isn't better than Bottas or Maldonado.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

How do you know she would be seconds off the pace?

Exactly.

I seriously doubt she would be so bad she'd be lapped after 5/6 laps at la Deletraz or over 3 seconds slower than her team mate a la Inoue. In fact Inoue once was out qualified by his own team mate by over 10 seconds. That's embarrassing. Wolff would be nowhere near that bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Exactly.

I seriously doubt she would be so bad she'd be lapped after 5/6 laps at la Deletraz or over 3 seconds slower than her team mate a la Inoue. In fact Inoue once was out qualified by his own team mate by over 10 seconds. That's embarrassing. Wolff would be nowhere near that bad.

Add in that she managed a lap or more without complaining of too much grip and knows how to remove a steering wheel instantly puts her above Nissanny.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Exactly.

Add in that she managed a lap or more without complaining of too much grip and knows how to remove a steering wheel instantly puts her above Nissanny.

Mind you Oliver Panis once got sent to the back of the grid for not removing the steering wheel on his Prost when he tried to get out of it. Meant he failed the 5 second rule. Britain 98 I think.

But I do agree. She's no world beater but she's no embarrassment either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 pm 

Almost like she knows someone at the top of the company.